Author Topic: Sleep Positions  (Read 1289 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Sleep Positions
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
I recently bought and received a Purple Mattress and the Powerbase. For those who aren't familiar with the Purple mattress, they have viral videos on YouYube advertising their mattress using the raw egg test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BvwpjaGZCQ

The mattress is so comfortable and I'm happy with my purchase, it's soft, but still classified as a firm mattress, which at 6 ft 4 and 309 pounds, I need a firm mattress to support all of my weight, but I don't want to sleep on a rock. I have been sleeping so well the past few nights on this mattress.

With this Powerbase I got for it, it has a feature called Zero Gravity Sleep, which has the foot of the bed raised and the head of the bed slightly up and combined with the massage feature on the base it's really comfortable and I've read people say that they love to fall asleep in this position but it only works well if you sleep on your back. I hate sleeping on my back, I don't know how it's possible. What do I do with my hands?!

I'm a side sleeper through and through, occasionally on my stomach as well. I like to put my hand under the pillow, kinda like Superman flying through the air. On my side, I like to cradle a pillow and also have one down between my knees. On this mattress, side sleeping has become way more comfortable.

So my question is what position do you sleep in and if you're a back sleeper, what do you do with your hands. On your side? Across your chest? One across your chest, one leg at a right angle, the other straight and one hand by your side?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:45:41 PM by SystematicThought »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Re: Sleep Positions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »
I use a CPAP machine and it would be best to sleep on my back but I end up alternating left and right side.
My wife sleeps on her stomach.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
I've wondered if my spine is messed up because I can't just lay straight on my side; I curl my legs up a bit and actually bend one while keeping the other straight. Or if that's just normal, I dunno. I can only sleep on my back when I'm truly exhausted, otherwise it's the side. Usually the right side. Somehow sleeping on the left isn't as comfortable. Of course... I also sleep on my couch a lot and I can't fully stretch out on that. That can't help.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »
I've wondered if my spine is messed up because I can't just lay straight on my side; I curl my legs up a bit and actually bend one while keeping the other straight. Or if that's just normal, I dunno. I can only sleep on my back when I'm truly exhausted, otherwise it's the side. Usually the right side. Somehow sleeping on the left isn't as comfortable. Of course... I also sleep on my couch a lot and I can't fully stretch out on that. That can't help.
I sometimes fall asleep in the fetal position on my side, I have no clue why, it's just comfortable to me. I don't usually sleep on my side with my legs straight mainly because my feet hang off the edge. It's not nearly as bad anymore now that I have a queen size bed.

Another preference for sleeping on my side is that I have to face away from the door, so I favor my right side
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
I used to sleep on my back.  If I remember correctly, I used to start out with my hands clasped across the bottom of my rib cage.  I once had a girlfriend tell me it creeped her out because it's similar to how corpses are positioned in caskets.

I now sleep mostly on my side (fairly similar to what you described).  We are way overdue for a new mattress, but we are always finding things to spend the money on that seem more important.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »
I usually sleep the first way while hugging another pillow, and it's so damn comfortable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
I sleep like this

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

I’d guess that, if you’re having back pain in the morning, sleeping on the couch is more the culprit than bent knees while lying on your side, unless you’re in some weird, funky, twisted position. Couch cushions aren’t really meant to support your weight for hours at a time like a bed’s coils are.

And sleeping with my legs straight while on my side just sounds goddamn uncomfortable. I’d guess some knee bend would be the norm.

I’m a side sleeper myself. Mostly on the right, with knees bent and blanket/sheet held up to my neck and chin. Sometimes I roll n my back in the middle of the night without knowing it. Thus makes me snore, often to the point where it wakes me up.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »

I’d guess that, if you’re having back pain in the morning, sleeping on the couch is more the culprit than bent knees while lying on your side, unless you’re in some weird, funky, twisted position. Couch cushions aren’t really meant to support your weight for hours at a time like a bed’s coils are.

And sleeping with my legs straight while on my side just sounds goddamn uncomfortable. I’d guess some knee bend would be the norm.

I’m a side sleeper myself. Mostly on the right, with knees bent and blanket/sheet held up to my neck and chin. Sometimes I roll n my back in the middle of the night without knowing it. Thus makes me snore, often to the point where it wakes me up.

Yeah, I'm just incredibly lazy late at night and plug my laptop into the TV and then get comfy on the couch. I've gone weeks without actually sleeping in my bed  :lol I don't have back pain but this past summer I woke up off the couch, stood up, and think I fudged up my sciatic nerve because I felt a sharp pain and couldn't really walk on my left leg for about 20 minutes. That really sucked.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
I've been mostly a side sleep but I've been have neck issues the last couple of months and have been trying to convert to a back sleeper since that is supposedly the best position for neck/spine alignment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
My favorite positions when I sleep with someone:  doggie style, reverse cowboy, and missiona....  oh wait.   

I sleep on my side more often than not, though I'm like Kattlebox in that regard.  When I sleep on my back, I tend to snore.  Loud.   I can't sleep when there's vibration, though.  That would drive me crazy.   I'm also not keen on sleeping when my legs are higher than my head; I can barely sleep when my torso is elevated.  I like to be flat. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »
Definitely a side sleeper, eternally rolling from one side of the bed to the other in search of the cool side of the pillows.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
All those questions asked in the first pot I read in my mind in Dale Cooper's voice.

Add a cat snuggled in between the legs and that's me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
I used to be big on sleeping on my stomach with my arms under my belly.  My friend said I slept like a bear.  For whatever reason that was super comfortable.  But my understanding was that it wasn't healthy to sleep on your stomach and I snored a lot.  So I started sleeping more on my back and sides now.  I've gotten used to sleeping on my back and I end up putting my arms slightly under my butt sort of like how I had them when I was on my stomach. 

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
The one problem I had in college was my snoring, especially freshman year. My roommates hated it and would always try to get to bed before me. I woke up one time to my roommate kicking my bed (I was top bunk) and then storming out in a fit. I couldn't help it. I have a feeling I'm a future CPAP guy. My dad has one and it changed his sleeping and life for the better.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen