Author Topic: Fans of Iced Earth - I'm interviewing Matt Barlow tomorrow!  (Read 988 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Fans of Iced Earth - I'm interviewing Matt Barlow tomorrow!
« on: November 11, 2018, 04:03:26 AM »
 Matt Barlow has a band called Ashes of Ares, which is amazing - they released their second album on November 09th. And I'm talking to him tomorrow. If you have questions for him, let me know!!

Here's a song off their new album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xnp1TA1CrA

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fans of Iced Earth - I'm interviewing Matt Barlow tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »
That's amazing bro!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »
Ask him if anybody he's ever arrested has recognized him.

Also, he had pretty much recorded all of the vocals for Glorious Burden when Iced Earth got Ripper and redid them.  Judging by how awesome Barlow's performance was when Iced Earth did those live when he rejoined, is there any chance any of those studio recordings will see the light of day?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »

Also, he had pretty much recorded all of the vocals for Glorious Burden when Iced Earth got Ripper and redid them.  Judging by how awesome Barlow's performance was when Iced Earth did those live when he rejoined, is there any chance any of those studio recordings will see the light of day?

I've seen him answer the second one...the first question is AWESOME though - thanks!!! :biggrin:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
Ask him how much he changed the original vocal melodies on Immortal, and if there weren't any, how does that even work?

Also, ask him what his favorite KrotchRaut song is.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »

I've seen him answer the second one...the first question is AWESOME though - thanks!!! :biggrin:

Really? what did he say about it? I remember Jon stated that his performance showed that his will to be in the band was gone, which prompted him to tell him basically "Ok, you can go after all" after strongly insisting to reconsider his initial decision. I can't believe even a supposedly half-assed Matt performance could be that bad.

Ask him if there's some Iced Earth songs he'd like to give the We Are Sentinels treatment one day... maybe as bonus tracks for the next album!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »

Really? what did he say about it? I remember Jon stated that his performance showed that his will to be in the band was gone, which prompted him to tell him basically "Ok, you can go after all" after strongly insisting to reconsider his initial decision. I can't believe even a supposedly half-assed Matt performance could be that bad.

Ask him if there's some Iced Earth songs he'd like to give the We Are Sentinels treatment one day... maybe as bonus tracks for the next album!

Yeah I don't buy Jon's version either.  I think it was that Ripper became available and Jon took a gamble that initially paid off.  Glorious Burden and the following tour were awesome.  Big mistake to go back to the Something Wicked concept which seemed to kill the momentum they had, plus all of Jon's passive aggressive statements about Ripper. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Wasn't The Glorious Burden more or less in the can when Barlow quit? And then I thought Jon took his douchebag shots at him on the way out the door.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »
The official story goes like this:

Matt wanted to quit the business after 9/11 and become a police officer.  Jon talked him into staying.  They then recorded Glorious Burden.  Jon claims he noticed Matt wasn't into it and it showed in his performance.  Since this was going to be the biggest album of their career with the Prague Orchestra and all that, Jon didn't want to release a subpar performance. Jon asked Matt if he wanted to leave, Matt said yes.  Coincidentally, Ripper left Judas Priest around this time and Jon got him to do the vocals as a session thing claiming that Ripper's voice was always what he heard when he was writing.  Announcement was made that Ripper was on vocals but not necessarily a new member of the band.  Shortly thereafter Ripper joined as an official member. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 01:44:25 PM »
Coincidentally, Ripper left Judas Priest around this time and Jon got him to do the vocals as a session thing claiming that Ripper's voice was always what he heard when he was writing.

Yes, I remember that comment as well. I always took that as a shot at Barlow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 02:33:15 PM »
Coincidentally, Ripper left Judas Priest around this time and Jon got him to do the vocals as a session thing claiming that Ripper's voice was always what he heard when he was writing.

Yes, I remember that comment as well. I always took that as a shot at Barlow.

That comment always made me laugh, especially when Matt rejoined I remember he half backtracked the statement.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
Big mistake to go back to the Something Wicked concept which seemed to kill the momentum they had, plus all of Jon's passive aggressive statements about Ripper.

But that was Jon's masterplan all along, do the Something Wicked album and have it the best thing he's done in his carrer. He didn't do it after the actual Something Wicked album because he knew that it would be their last with Century Media and so he did Horror Show, and then he did The Glorious Burden as a "test" to see how the new label would promote a regular album. So he did the album he wanted when he wanted to do it, too bad it turned out a bloated affair over two albums and two singers. I remember reading years later that by those times he had losses in the family so that surely influenced his creativity but the Something Wicked saga should have been a single album with the best songs, and one singer of course.

Also, having a kickass trilogy and two albums *entirely* devoted to Set Abominae hell bent on wiping mankind off the Earth and at the very last song (as beautiful as it is) saying "nah, guess I won't do it" was underwhelming to say the least.

He must even had toyed around with the storyline - back on the old Iced Earth site he was giving long and detailed reports on the band's activities (that's why I remember what I posted above), and I could swear that one of the titles of the SW album was "Come What May (Mankind is Lost)". The subtitle of course disappear, I wonder if he changed his mind about how the story would go.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 03:07:04 AM »

He said there's probably a full version of the album somewhere with all his vocals in it, but he doesn't know where it is, or who has it. But he did record the whole thing at some point, before leaving.

About Ashes of Ares doing Iced Earth songs, I like the angle you used, and will try to fit that in there. Thanks again!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 10:19:39 AM »

He said there's probably a full version of the album somewhere with all his vocals in it, but he doesn't know where it is, or who has it. But he did record the whole thing at some point, before leaving.

About Ashes of Ares doing Iced Earth songs, I like the angle you used, and will try to fit that in there. Thanks again!

He answered that too. They wont be doing IE songs live out of respect. That probably goes for studio treatment as well.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 11:32:08 AM »
 Just finished the interview...it was SO COOL to talk to him! I even got him to do a falsetto for me as we were talking about his project We Are Sentinels. I'll let you guys know when it's published!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
Excellent man! :metal