Author Topic: The Box Office Thread - Show Me the MONEY!  (Read 4723 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
The Box Office Thread - Show Me the MONEY!
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:36:38 AM »
A dedicated  thread for those who take an interest Box Office number crunching - which I fully expect to be just me contributing to this thread...cus to most people it's a dull topic  ;D

Anyway here's the Box Office Worldwide figures for the films of 2017.  (* = film still showing)

Beauty and the Beast -    1,263.5 B
The Fate of the Furious - 1,235.8 B
The Last Jedi -                1,090.6 B *
Despicable Me 3 -           1,033.5 B
Spider-Man Homecoming - 880.2 M
Wolf Warrior 2 -                870.3 M
Guardians of Galaxy 2 -      863.7 M
Thor : Ragnorok -              849.0 M *
Wonder Woman -               821.8 M
Pirates of the Carbibean 5 - 794.9M
It -                                    698.1 M
Justice League -                 651.2 M
Logan -                              616.8 M
Transformers 5 -                605.4 M
Kong : Skull Island -           566.7 M
Coco -                                551.8 M
Dunkirk -                            525.6 M

Other selected ones....

War Planet of Apes -            490.0 M
The Mummy -                      409.1 M
Cars 3 -                               383.8 M
JumanJi : Welcome to Jungle - 352.9 M *
Blade Runner 2049 -             258.7 M
Get Out -                             254.3 M
Alien : Covenant -                240.7 M
Geostorm -                          208 M
Baywatch -                           177.4 M
The Dark Tower -                 111.7 M

Winners :

- Disney :  They have Star Wars, Marvel and now their new live action reimaginings all sitting at the top of this list.

- Fast/Furious franchise : The tragic death of Paul Walker meant the total of 'Furious 7' was always inflated, but this years 'Fate of the Furious' still managed an amazing total.

- Wolf Warrior 2 : No me neither?   854.2 M in China alone though.

- Marvel Cinematic Universe :  Just about a winner.  3 Films all taking a remarkable consistant 850-880M.  They probably would have wanted one of the 3 to break the billion barrier, but having all 3 make solid totals and avoid flopping is a decent build up to Infinite Wars.

- IT : The surprise hit of the year.

- Dunkirk : A gamble for Nolan that paid off.

- Wonder Woman : DC universe finally gets a good movie, surely things will take off from here.....

- Jumanji : The trailer had flop written all over it, the fact it was released a week after Star Wars looked like it'd be buried.  Yet the reviews have been positive and it's steadily making decent money - and it's still got several markets to open in.

Losers :

- The Dark Tower : Really, just Ugh.

- Justice League : ...after the good will of Wonder Woman, we are back to the mess of BvS, SS etc...but this time the audience don't show up.  Where does this leave the DC universe?

- Transformers : It took them long enough, but finally the audience has had enough of these crap films.

- War of the Apes/Bladerunner : Two well received films that strangely didn't find an audience.

- The Alien franchise : Like the Terminator Franchise, where does it go next?

- The 'Dark Universe' : The Mummy sank without a trace, surely this franchise in now dead in the water?

- Cars 3 : The big flop that no one seems to have noticed.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Box Office Thread - Show Me the MONEY!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:51:44 AM »
Is it just me, or is every single one of those movies a remake/reboot/sequel?

Is there anything original on that list?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:27 AM »

That's the big thing that stuck out to me about the top 15 or so movies. They are all a remake or a sequel or a reboot or a continuation of some previously developed character.

Dunkirk is the only real "original" one I think.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:22:00 AM »
Doesn't bother me. Nowadays you get more out of television shows than a 2 hour film. More character development, similar production values, TV is just all around better than film, I don't mind much if all the big theater successes are remakes, comic films, blah blah. Then again I'm still salty over how much they fudged The Dark Tower.

I am very, very surprised Beauty and the Beast made that much money. I didn't hear a peep of it all year, anywhere.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 08:24:20 AM »

That's the big thing that stuck out to me about the top 15 or so movies. They are all a remake or a sequel or a reboot or a continuation of some previously developed character.

Dunkirk is the only real "original" one I think.

There have been a few movies depicting the accounts of 'Dunkirk' in the past, nothing recent.   Coco, Geostorm and Get Out are about the only original ones, I believe.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »
Doesn't bother me. Nowadays you get more out of television shows than a 2 hour film. More character development, similar production values, TV is just all around better than film, I don't mind much if all the big theater successes are remakes, comic films, blah blah. Then again I'm still salty over how much they fudged The Dark Tower.

I am very, very surprised Beauty and the Beast made that much money. I didn't hear a peep of it all year, anywhere.

It doesn't really bother me, just an observation that Hollywood doesn't come out with a lot of original ideas at this point.

Also - Beauty and the Beast was HUGE, were you living under a rock at the beginning of 2017?  :lol

There have been a few movies depicting the accounts of 'Dunkirk' in the past, nothing recent.   Coco, Geostorm and Get Out are about the only original ones, I believe.

Huh, I didn't know that they had made the story of Dunkirk into a movie before, interesting.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »
I remember hearing buzz about it at the beginning of the year but like... as soon as it came out, it's like everyone stopped talking about it. I'm not surprised it was a success, but seeing those numbers on it really surprised me because I haven't heard anybody even mention it since spring - hell I forgot it even came out until I read this thread! Of course my March through May were spent in a Nintendo-fueled Zelda haze...  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
Nintendo-fueled Zelda haze

I don't think I have ever seen those words in that specific combination before.  And I can't help wonder, "why not?"  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »
I remember hearing buzz about it at the beginning of the year but like... as soon as it came out, it's like everyone stopped talking about it. I'm not surprised it was a success, but seeing those numbers on it really surprised me because I haven't heard anybody even mention it since spring - hell I forgot it even came out until I read this thread! Of course my March through May were spent in a Nintendo-fueled Zelda haze...  :lol

It's that Disney power baby, they'll rule the world just yet. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
 :lol :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 01:52:57 AM »
The Last Jedi should be the biggest grossing film of the year when this weekend is over.  However it's tracking only heading for a grand total of 1.3 billion - that's compared to the 2 billion TFA took.

Jumanji continues to surprise, sailed past 500 million this week - probably on course to make around 700m+  Junmanji : Welcome to the Franchise....

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
Well TLJ was a rather divisive film. TFA did so well because almost everyone wanted to see it like 3-4 times. TLJ just didn't seem to have that quality.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
Well TLJ was a rather divisive film. TFA did so well because almost everyone wanted to see it like 3-4 times. TLJ just didn't seem to have that quality.

Marketing for TLJ was pretty weak compared to TFA as well. TFA was an event, the reintroduction of Star Wars! Star Wars is starting to lose that "event film" quality with each new release.

The fact that TLJ had a mixed reception certainly didn't help..

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »

Marketing for TLJ was pretty weak compared to TFA as well. TFA was an event, the reintroduction of Star Wars! Star Wars is starting to lose that "event film" quality with each new release.

The fact that TLJ had a mixed reception certainly didn't help..

Yea, I think it's tricky. A new SW film every year certainly won't help. I doubt Solo or whatever will do terribly well. I'm sure the newest JJ one will do insanely well because it's the final one of the.....whatever this is called now. I doubt the newest trilogy with Johnson will do as well either.

That said, all of these films will do VERY well, compared to normal movies. Just not compared to things like TFA.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »
Kind of surprised to see TLJ not top the list, just because I figure it would be expected to top it.  Although I guess maybe it will when it's all said and done, but still shy of what's been done with the previous Star Wars. I criticized it a bit, but it's the only movie I saw in the theater in 2017 and thought it was still pretty solid overall.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
Holy smokes I didn't realize TFA is now #1 in the US all time. And not by a small margin. I go to the movies so infrequently it always seems like ticket prices increase at least $2 each time. Which leads me to....

I always like checking the 'Adjusted for Inflation' list. See if you can guess one #1 is (in the US)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »
Without looking I’m guessing it still is, and probably always will be, Gone With the Wind.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 08:55:27 PM »
And not even close. The only non-animated movie released prior to 1940 in the top 50. I still find it mildly surprising because I can't imagine it having that broad of an appeal considering its length and subject matter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 08:10:24 AM »
Gone With the Wind is one of the most boring movies I've ever watched.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
Gone With the Wind is one of the most boring movies I've ever watched.

Agreed, I don't think I watched much of it though, I couldn't take it.  I took a film class in college and I really couldn't pay attention to lots of the old films cause they felt so boring, yet they were considered classics.  To each their own and I guess there's some element to the time of release and whatnot.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »

I agree, I think we're living in the golden age of television shows. Maybe historically and culturally cinema was always a step ahead of TV, but now no more. Production values, big actors, there's nothing from TV shows that is missing, and stories have more room to breathe.

Also, the numbers are beyond crazy. You wanna know why it's all sequels, prequels and remakes? because with those absurd costs involved, and the (desperate) need to make even more money back, the producers can't afford risks and gambles. Maybe a gamble once out of many pays off, but studios won't take risks anymore, the same way in music labels continue to pursue the same pop artists 'cause they know the same four chords sell.

And the worst thing is - the producers may be right. We live in the internet era, the entire history of cinema is there to download for anyone to see. If people fill seats to see again Transformers, maybe that's what they actually want to see. Just like the vast majority of people attending Metallica and Iron Maiden concerts want to hear Enter Sandman and Fear of the Dark every time, and grouped together they bring more money than the hardcore fan who wants to listen to Phantom Lord and Still Life instead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
Maybe historically and culturally cinema was always a step ahead of TV, but now no more.

The cinema was definitely king for many decades, and GWTW was as big as it got back then. I just can't help but think other quality films from that era (Casablanca, Rebecca) would have had more mass appeal. GWTW is the film your wife drags you to because Oprah raved about it. Disclaimer: I have never seen GWTW.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 01:59:45 PM »
I've seen it several times, and I love it.   I love the character of Rhett. Although I think the women who idolize him forget that he could be quite insulting.   One of my favorite lines from him was, "...and you, Miss are NOT a lady!   I mean that as a compliment!"    :rollin   Imagine if one of these women who think he's dreamy actually had someone in front of them telling them that.   No matter how handsome he was, he would get shut down instantly.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 01:19:58 AM »
Quick update.

- Black Panther has had an outstanding first weekend, over 200m in the US alone.  After the 3 Marvel universe movies of last year all ended up with solid rather than stellar figures, this is a nice boost heading into Avengers 3.

- Jumanji is now the surprise hit of the year.  900m for a film that would have been overjoyed with half that - and it's still to open in Japan, no surprise Sony have green lite a sequel. 

- The Last Jedi ended up the biggest grossing movie of the year - but only taking 60% of The Force Awakens total.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:48 AM »
I can't wait to see the new Jumanji movie once it hits a streaming service.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
I can't wait to see the new Jumanji movie once it hits a streaming service.

Took the family to this in the theater and loved it. Kids had a blast and it surprised me at how much I actually enjoyed it. I had legit LOL moments.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 10:55:14 AM »
- Black Panther has had an outstanding first weekend, over 200m in the US alone. 

According to the media it is also the greatest movie ever made, the cinematic equivalent to Shakespeare, Dickens, and Chaucer, and of more historical importance than the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, Magna Carta, and the Bible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
According to the media it is also the greatest movie ever made, the cinematic equivalent to Shakespeare, Dickens, and Chaucer, and of more historical importance than the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, Magna Carta, and the Bible.

Yeah. It's a tad out of control....and it's less about the actual movie itself.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

Yeah. It's a tad out of control....and it's less about the actual movie itself.

Exactly. People are reading far too much into it. I enjoyed it for what it was, but standard Marvel fare really.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 01:48:30 AM »
There is a certain section of the media trying to turn Black Panther into something more than it is.  We saw the same with Wonder Woman too last year.   This type of forced agenda can often create a backlash.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:34 AM »
Black Panther is a huge accomplishment and a sign of hope for a large group of people that less than 65 years ago couldn't be in the same classroom as a white person. Let them enjoy the moment in the sun and allow society to celebrate progress positively.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
Black Panther is a huge accomplishment and a sign of hope for a large group of people that less than 65 years ago couldn't be in the same classroom as a white person. Let them enjoy the moment in the sun and allow society to celebrate progress positively.

Thank you. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2018, 04:20:53 AM »
Anyone care to guess the final Worldwide Box Office of Avengers : Infinity War.

For reference :
Avengers : 1.5 Billion.
Avengers 2 : 1.4 Billion.

I reckon this will break the 2 Billion barrier, somewhere in the region of 'The Force Awakens' total (2.07) - the reviews have been positive and it's coming of the surprising BO smash of Black Panther.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 05:27:17 AM »
Everything I've heard about it sounds like people won't be going for repeat viewings much so I don't think it will make 2 billion. What do I know though.

Online faizoff

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
Everything I've heard about it sounds like people won't be going for repeat viewings much so I don't think it will make 2 billion. What do I know though.

Um.. really? I've heard the exact opposite. Heck I watched on Thursday and had tickets to see it again on Saturday. I had to bail for other reasons, but my friends have already seen it like 3 times in the span of 3 days. If anything this movie is a prime candidate for repeated viewings.

Either way, it's going to make bank and possibly break the 2 Billion mark.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan