Author Topic: Godless (Netflix)  (Read 984 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Godless (Netflix)
« on: January 01, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »
Anyone watching this? It’s a 7 part Western miniseries on Netflix, about an outlaw preacher, hunting down one of his own that betrayed him, and mining town that’s populated almost exclusively by women, after a mining accident killed most of the men.

I thought it was really excellent. Great characters, great locations, and Jeff Daniels is really good as the big bad.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Godless (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:01:45 PM »
Yep....watched it. Really good series. You're right.....Jeff Daniels was excellent. One moment he's a ruthless murderer the next he's as compassionate as a 'real' preacher. Very interesting character.

FYI....Spoilerly Talk:

One thing I didn't really see specifically addressed was the reason Roy Goode decided to betray Frank Griffin? I assumed it was because he was actually just a 'good' person and couldn't take the plundering and what not any longer? But they never really come out and say it. At any length....it was a good series that did a great job at developing multiple characters with Roy and Frank being really well thought out and performed.

I was a huge fan of Whitey and you'd have figured him to play a large role in defended LeBell but BOOM.....he's killed near instantly in a rather unceremonious fashion considering his character. That was shocking to me and it played perfect for the story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:54:17 AM »
Yeah, I don’t remember there being one obvious reason for the (moment of ;)) betrayal. I also picked it up as Roy just realising that what they were doing was wrong and taking a stand against it all.

I agree about Whitey. When he opened the door in that last episode, guns a-twirling, I turned to the Mrs and said “oh-oh”. I had barely said the words and boom! A boy against men, in the end.

Whitey had some good character development. That’s what’s good about the mini-series format - you get enough time to explore the main characters than you would in a movie, and without having their stories padded out to fill 20+ episodes.

You're right.....Jeff Daniels was excellent. One moment he's a ruthless murderer the next he's as compassionate as a 'real' preacher. Very interesting character.

I really liked that he wasn't a one dimensional baddie. The part where they come across the sick house was really interesting. I really thought he was just going to burn the whole thing to the ground.

How good was the La Belle shootout in that last episode? That was one of the best things I’ve seen recently.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:23:10 AM by Logain Ablar »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
Finished this last night. Pretty good show but I thought there were a few things that held it back from being an amazing show. Jeff Daniels was amazing and his complex character was easily the best thing about the show. I didn't love the finale. I didn't mind Whitey getting killed but why was he not in the hotel with the women? Seems like he would have holed up with them, not be by himself in the Sheriffs office. I also didn't like the conclusion of the Roy/Alice romance. Roy leaves and now Alice is stuck with a soon to be blind husband and his two kids? And my god Truckie was annoying. I will say that the scene when the gang shows up in Blackdom was probably my favorite scene of the series. It was so tense and you could really tell that Frank didn't want it to turn out like that.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
I didn't mind Whitey getting killed but why was he not in the hotel with the women? Seems like he would have holed up with them, not be by himself in the Sheriffs office.

From a logical point, I agree - they should have all been sticking together, but I think they were trying to show he was totally out of his depth. A wannabe sheriff up against some serious hard assed outlaws.

I also didn't like the conclusion of the Roy/Alice romance. Roy leaves and now Alice is stuck with a soon to be blind husband and his two kids?

I was a little disappointed with that too. It seemed to be hinted at that Alice and Bill (?) had some sort of past, so maybe they were trying to make out that Roy was being the bigger man, walking away to let them rekindle whatever relationship they had. Or maybe he didn't want to saddled with that Indian granny lady and somebody else's kid...  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:16 PM »
Watched the whole thing in about 2 days. Awesome series.