Author Topic: DTF’s Top 10 Movies of 2017  (Read 1757 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
DTF’s Top 10 Movies of 2017
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
Curious to see what movies DTF liked the most this year. So if you have a top 10 or can throw one together without too much effort then post it here if you’d like. If you wanna do 15 or 5 or whatever, I won’t get angry.

My top 10 is not yet definitive since I still have 12 movies from this year I want to see that I still haven’t. And that list of 12 might even get longer once the academy drop their nominations. But here’s my current one:

1. Mother!
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. The Lost City of Z
4. War for the Planet of the Apes
5. Gifted
6. The Book of Henry
7. Dunkirk
8. A Ghost Story
9. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
10. Logan

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: DTF’s Top 10 Movies of 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:48:18 PM »
The best movie this year was by far Three Billboards Outside Of Ebbing, Missouri.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »
Can't do a top 10 right now, since i would really have to think about it.

But the best movie of the year, and one of the best movies i have ever seen is Blade Runner 2049! Just a masterpiece in acting, cinematography, editing, music and everything really!

I also really liked Baby Driver, Logan, Dunkirk, Thor: Ragnarok and The Last Jedi.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »
I don't do rankings. I'm not even sure I've seen 10 movies, but I'll list my favorites of the year in no order at all.

Logan, Three Billboards, Spider-man, Thor, Lady Bird, Blade Runner 2049, Disaster Artist, Mother!, Wonder

I saw some more, but they wouldn't be my favorites.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
The best movie this year was by far Three Billboards Outside Of Ebbing, Missouri.

Got this one on the to-watch list, hoping I can get to it soon.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:45:56 PM »
Dunkirk
Baby Driver
Get Out
Logan
Wonder Woman
The Disaster Artist
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Coco
The Big Sick
It

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:32 AM »
Since I didn't see any movies that came out this year, I'm going to go with Cool Runnings.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
I didn't see many new releases, and the ones I did see were mostly the typical Disney/Marvel/Star Wars or blockbuster ilk.  I have a tough time remembering what I saw that was released in 2017, but off the top of my head:

I think Logan would definitely be at the top.  Spiderman Homecoming would probably be #2 with Star Wars, the Last Jedi right behind.
Others I saw and liked a good deal:  Thor: Ragnarok; Cars 3; Wonder Woman; The Case for Christ; The Lego Batman Movie (okay, not that great, but it had me laughing throughout)
Others I saw that were okay:  GotG2; Alien: Covenant; John Wick 2; Smurfs: The Lost Village (not my choice, but I'm a dad, so...)

Ones I missed and need to see:  Despicable Me 3; Dunkirk; Murder on the Orient Express; Coco
Lower priority (want to see, but may not get around to it for one reason or another):  Atomic Blonde; The Dark Tower; It; Justice League (have to see the trainwreck for myself); 47 Meters Down (shark movies are a guilty pleasure)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 11:42:18 AM »
These are just from the top of my head:

Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Wind River
Logan
Get Out
Baby Driver
Good Time
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Logan Lucky
John Wick Chapter 2

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:30 AM »
Just thinking back through my list and what made my top 3, I'm thinking I really need to see Dunkirk.  I tend to really like dramatic films based on actual historical events or figures, whether they are historical fiction, documentaries, semi-biographies, or what have you.  If Dunkirk is well done, it could easily make my top 3.  But it depends.  As a counterexample, I didn't think Pearl Harbor was all that great when it came out years ago.  Not that there was anything bad about it.  But it just didn't really bring anything to the table in a way that I felt was particularly compelling, other than the cinematography.  Contrast that with historical fiction films that are some of my favorites, like Braveheart, Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans, and The Patriot.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »
Dunkirk is such a unique movie. Very against the rules of how movies are supposed to be made. Some loved it, but I can definetely see how it’s not for everyone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
Dunkirk is such a unique movie. Very against the rules of how movies are supposed to be made. Some loved it, but I can definetely see how it’s not for everyone.
That statement intrigues me.  I have no idea what you mean, and I'm not going to ask for further detail, but I may revisit it once I have seen the movie.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
Haven't seen a lot of new movies this year, but Get Out is the best movie I've seen in years, so that one.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
Gifted was probably the best film I've seen this year. It's not easy to make a film like that without turning it into a manipulative schmaltz-fest, but this film just about manages it. There are one or two unnecessarily saccharine scenes (note to film-makers: not every emotional scene needs to be accompanied by a string orchestra playing in the background; and not every evil character needs a British accent) but overall it was a serious effort with a stunning performance from the child actress. 

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
The Lego Batman Movie (okay, not that great, but it had me laughing throughout)

That movie made this particular Batman fanatic smile ear to ear! It was the perfect Batman parody, if you will. Plus, Billy Dee Williams FINALLY got to play Two-Face!!! Perfect!!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:13 AM »
Just saw The Shape of Water, and I need to put that on my top ten list. What a gorgeous movie!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 06:34:33 AM »
Having finally seen all the movies released in 2017 that I wanted to see I now have a final top 10:

1. Mother!
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. The Lost City of Z
4. War for the Planet of the Apes
5. Gifted
6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
7. The Post
8. The Book of Henry
9. Only the Brave
10. Darkest Hour

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 03:24:19 AM »
1- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
2- 택시운전사 (A Taxi Driver)
3- The Square
4- Okja
5- Phantom Thread
6- Baby Driver
7- The Disaster Artist
8- The Shape of Water
9- The Killing of a Sacred Deer
10- Life

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 04:53:36 AM »
Killing of a Sacred Deer and Phantom Thread got close to my top 10, but didn’t quite make it. Good stuff though.