Author Topic: Happy New Year From JP and MP  (Read 19885 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Happy New Year From JP and MP
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
I'm hoping that sometime down the track all members of DT, past and present, are able to put their differences aside, and that a joint tour with SOA and DT comes to fruition.

This should have been SoA's goal from the beginning (joint tour), but with Derek's bullshit, I don't see it happening.

This. It's not like the guys in DT have anything against MP or the SOA guys, but Derek taking shots at them anytime he has the chance to.

There is at least one (possibly two) members of DT who are not all that fond of Mike, it appears.

James, for sure, and possibly he has his reasons. Myung, we all suspect, but I don´t think there´s a clear reason for it, just probably the fact that MP took over DT´s helm in the last yers of his tenure with the band, not being open enough for his contributions. But thet´s purely my guess and perception, I have nothing to back this up.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 06:10:25 PM »
I'm hoping that sometime down the track all members of DT, past and present, are able to put their differences aside, and that a joint tour with SOA and DT comes to fruition.

This should have been SoA's goal from the beginning (joint tour), but with Derek's bullshit, I don't see it happening.

This. It's not like the guys in DT have anything against MP or the SOA guys, but Derek taking shots at them anytime he has the chance to.

There is at least one (possibly two) members of DT who are not all that fond of Mike, it appears.

James, for sure, and possibly he has his reasons. Myung, we all suspect, but I don´t think there´s a clear reason for it, just probably the fact that MP took over DT´s helm in the last yers of his tenure with the band, not being open enough for his contributions. But thet´s purely my guess and perception, I have nothing to back this up.

Actually, MP let his dog poop in Myung's yard one time and didn't pick it up.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
This is a great photo and it’s awesome to see them back together and in good spirits. I really wouldn’t read too much into it though, MP returning to DT would imo NOT be a healthy thing for the band.
Agreed!  with the ending of the posting "#givepeaceachance #carpediem Here's to a great 2018!" I think we can look forward to more good things.  If MP doesn't come back to DT it doesn't mean that we still can't have some awesome collaborations.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Just repairing the relationship is important. Not for the sake of DT or wishes of fans, but for the lives of these two people. Think about it. You spend 25 years basically living together, were in each other's weddings, have families that are close, and more. I'm glad they felt it was important to work on this.

For the same reasons, it would be cool to see things patched up with LaBrie too. I'm not sure there are ill feelings between MP and Myung.

Musically moving forward whatever happens, happens.

I did smile when I saw the picture for the first time. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »
Really ticks me off seeing that one comment under that photo with hundreds of likes, saying "Mangini should watch out" or whatever. Get the hell over it, Mangini is part of the band now and Mike ain't coming back... MP even said he has no interest or desire to play with them again.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
Just repairing the relationship is important. Not for the sake of DT or wishes of fans, but for the lives of these two people. Think about it. You spend 25 years basically living together, were in each other's weddings, have families that are close, and more. I'm glad they felt it was important to work on this.

For the same reasons, it would be cool to see things patched up with LaBrie too. I'm not sure there are ill feelings between MP and Myung.

Musically moving forward whatever happens, happens.

I did smile when I saw the picture for the first time. :)

Best post about the situation!

And indeed Kattoelox, from a pic of two people who were friends since the teen years, that live nearby and whose families and children are all close to each other, everyone asked for basically everything: reunion, LTE, G3, joint tour etc.... just let them be!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
I just saw this.  Very cool.

I have been under the impression that MP has been exchanging texts/e-mails with JR and JP for at least a few years (after the initial falling out period).  Don't know anything about them actually being physically in the same place, although I do recall seeing an MP/JR picture a year or two ago.

I went and looked at MP's Facebook page, and the first comment that came up was, "Mike Mangini should start looking for a new job in 2018," and just shook my head.  Guess it's inevitable, though.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
FB is full of comments of a new LTE album. Man, JP & MP must be SICK of this crap by now  :rollin

Still, it was very cool to see these two giants together again.

I saw that too.  I feel that is inconsiderate.   They offered the photo, take it for what it is, i.e. two friends connecting for New Years.   I understand all the arguments for doing it - they don't have to read it, "free speech", public lives, they put it out there, etc. -  but to me it's just rude and selfish.   

It's not like these guys are shy or reticent to release their music.  This isn't Steve Perry.   :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
Also, LTE was not actually that good. #hottake
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
Also, LTE was not actually that good. #hottake

Well, it was an experiment after all..

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 04:39:18 PM »

A joint tour?  For real?  A joint tour, to me, usually implies co-headliners, and co-headliners are usually about on the same level, which DT and Sons of Apollo are most certainly not.

As for the picture, it didn't surprise me.  Several other pics/tweets in 2017 made it clear that the two families are still close, so it went without saying that the Petrucci/Portnoy friendship had been restored to at least some extent.   

Offline Evai

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »

Eternally
In harmony
Our lives will be
Astonishing
Again
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 05:40:41 PM »
 :lol

Nice.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »

A joint tour?  For real?  A joint tour, to me, usually implies co-headliners, and co-headliners are usually about on the same level, which DT and Sons of Apollo are most certainly not.

As for the picture, it didn't surprise me.  Several other pics/tweets in 2017 made it clear that the two families are still close, so it went without saying that the Petrucci/Portnoy friendship had been restored to at least some extent.

They're certainly not on the same level financially. My suggestion would be that SOA opened the show for DT.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »
There will never be a SOA/DT tour.  In fact, Portnoy will never appear on stage again with DT unless he officially joins the band again. 

The reason is it would all create a huge whirlwind.  A whole bevy of people saying crap like, "The magic has returned!" or "Mangini better start looking for jobs!"  Oh wait, the latter was already said. 

And then, if DT in fact decided to stick with Mangini then the stock of DT would be lowered.  The hype of some people feeling that a reunion was so close now have a whole new flood of emotion.  DT now has to answer reunion questions in every interview.  Mangini feels like crap and some fanboys could listen to a new DT masterpiece that's flawless and say, "Without Portnoy they're nothing!"

That's why DT has handled this whole thing pretty darn tactfully.  When Portnoy comes up, they say something along the lines of "He was a really important part of the band but we're so happy with Mangini and really excited for the future." 

That's also why I was surprised to see them post that pic for all the above reasons.  It'd be nice to think that most people would just say, "Oh cool.  Glad they're still friends," but we know that ain't how all this works. 

It is interesting that Mike tweeted that first.  Petrucci followed suit later.  I wonder if John was torn about it being posted for the reasons above. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 01:09:18 AM »
They know how the internet works... it probably went down very casually, like

MP: "Hey, let's do a photo together!"
JP: "Sure!"
MP: "Why don't we post it on FB?"
JP: "Well, fine, but... are you sure that it won't cause a shitstorm of rumors?"
MP: "Have you been checking my feed? I have people telling me to go back to DT everyday anyway, the world can be so shitty, let's give people a nice gesture"
JP: "Oh, what the hell, ok, it's not that I'm ashamed of being your friend anyway!"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 03:27:30 AM »
It is interesting that Mike tweeted that first.  Petrucci followed suit later.  I wonder if John was torn about it being posted for the reasons above.

DT's official FB also shared the pic so I guess it is ok.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:17 AM »
Very nice to see as far as humanity and goodwill. I would be dissapointed if they took him back to DT. Would love to see him come on stage and play a few songs though.

I would love to see Mike be a guest in some DT show, that will be a great day I love both Drummers so I don't want Mike Mangini be disappointed and make him leave the band.

And I hope Mike Portnoy will be happy with his new band hope he don't feel any guilt or regret in him leaving the band, I want to see him have a Jam with MM, like a friendly drum battle on stage make it fun it will be a blast for the fans. 
And she listens openly

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2018, 07:09:59 AM »

That's actually the part I found weird. I get two friends getting together and posting a pic, and in this instance I love that they did, it's great to see them together. But it was kinda weird for me to see that DT's official account on FB shared the photo, to me, that's just opening up all the silly comments and speculation a lot further.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »

That's actually the part I found weird. I get two friends getting together and posting a pic, and in this instance I love that they did, it's great to see them together. But it was kinda weird for me to see that DT's official account on FB shared the photo, to me, that's just opening up all the silly comments and speculation a lot further.

Yes, there's that side of it. But in terms of really giving peace a chance and maybe reconciliation between band members, this is a good statement. It's up to the immaturity of the fans whether to make mountains out of molehills of this pic.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2018, 09:11:06 AM »
Yes, there's that side of it. But in terms of really giving peace a chance and maybe reconciliation between band members, this is a good statement. It's up to the immaturity of the fans whether to make mountains out of molehills of this pic.

Oh I totally agree, I'm just saying they widened the opportunity for fans to be immature and silly by sharing it through the official DT page.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »

...which gets people talking about the band when there is otherwise not much to talk about right now.  Brilliant move, actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »

Oh I totally agree, I'm just saying they widened the opportunity for fans to be immature and silly by sharing it through the official DT page.

I agree. Even without posting that pic, every regular post the DT page makes has a lot people whining about wanting Portnoy back, this is just adding more fuel to the fire.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2018, 11:09:46 AM »
If posting a picture of two friends and former band mates on social media only feeds the speculation and the trolls, we have bigger problems.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 11:11:11 AM »
...which gets people talking about the band when there is otherwise not much to talk about right now.  Brilliant move, actually.

I guess... just kinda talking about the wrong stuff, IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
Well, it may not be the most optimal thing to discuss.  But the thing is, since the band isn't currently doing anything, there isn't really much else to talk about.  And it sure beats the typically news "bombshell" for bands that are in between actual newsworthy things, like X member going into drug rehab, or X member getting arrested, or what have you.  It gets people thinking about Dream Theater during a "slow time" when they otherwise probably wouldn't be.  Nothing wrong with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »
You know what else would get people talking about DT? News of a new album in the works, or at least the guys getting together to write/brainstorm/jam. Not some lame G3 tour or whatever else they are doing between now and whenever they end up getting together again.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2018, 12:20:50 PM »
Don't hate on the G3... that stuff's cool imo.

I also am not a big fan of LTE. They got a small handful of great tracks, everything else is meh  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:31 PM »
You know what else would get people talking about DT? News of a new album in the works, or at least the guys getting together to write/brainstorm/jam. Not some lame G3 tour or whatever else they are doing between now and whenever they end up getting together again.
Well, sure--IF they were working on anything right now.  But we know they aren't and won't be in the immediate future.  So, again, while they are on a break, it's nice that there is something for the general public that would otherwise forget about them to talk about, especially something that is relatively positive. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2018, 12:34:29 PM »
And it sure beats the typically news "bombshell" for bands that are in between actual newsworthy things, like X member going into drug rehab, or X member getting arrested, or what have you.
Wait. I get what you're saying - this is sort of a coverup for the REAL news! So spill the beans Bosk: which one of the guys is going into drug rehab, and which one got arrested?!?!?    :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
And it sure beats the typically news "bombshell" for bands that are in between actual newsworthy things, like X member going into drug rehab, or X member getting arrested, or what have you.
Wait. I get what you're saying - this is sort of a coverup for the REAL news! So spill the beans Bosk: which one of the guys is going into drug rehab, and which one got arrested?!?!?    :biggrin:

JLB for smuggling, forgery, sailing under false colours, looting, poaching, brigandage, depravity, vandalism, impersonating a Royal Navy and other British and Spanish officers and a Clergyman, arson, kidnapping, piracy in the Caribbean Sea, perjury, theft, and ransacking a rum shipment. When reached for comment, all he had to say was "It's a hard life for a pirate." More at 6.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
Or maybe, inspired by the public outcry for miscondut in Hollywood, LaBrie finally found the courage to denounce Myung for the brutal tackle on stage.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
JP illegal salmon poaching?

JR unlicensed sorcery ?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
JP illegal salmon poaching?

:biggrin:

James operating a forklift without a license.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
No comment.  ...but all of you are correct.  :omg: