Author Topic: Who else never or rarely drinks liquor anymore?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Who else never or rarely drinks liquor anymore?
« on: December 31, 2017, 08:26:04 PM »
I know I am not the only one.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I consumed an alcoholic beverage in 2017, and each time I had probably just one drink.  I just don't have interest anymore in drinking booze, and because I drink so rarely now, my tolerance is for shit, so on the very rare occasions where I do get crazy and have, wait for it, two drinks (!!!), I definitely feel it.

The bummer is there are times where I feel a tad out of place, like Friday night where I met three cousins (and about 12 of their friends) at their annual cigar bar/drinking outing, and I was literally the only guy at the bar and grill not having liquor, but it is what it is.  The two things I could have gone to tonight were both gonna feature heavy drinking and it just didn't sound fun, so I am enjoying a quiet night in on NYE.  The fact that it is like 7 degrees outside made it easy to not go out, too.  :lol :lol

Anyway, who else never or rarely drinks liquor anymore?

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Who else never or rarely drinks liquor anymore?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 08:48:39 PM »
I'm 25 and as far as I recall, I never drank at all.  Ever.  Don't know why.  Probably had no desire at all to do so and no motive to do in the first place or in the future.  I don't mind it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
I am 41 and I drink a lot less than I used to, which isn't a monumental feat considering my history. It used to bother me a little at social gatherings, especially since I never drink beer or wine, only bourbon or a cocktail, but I quickly learned not to give a crap when I get strange looks at fancy dinners or parties when I decline a glass of wine or some shitty local craft beer. I'm a better person (albeit one with less excitement in my life) the less I drink now, so cheers to that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »
I never drink.

Haven’t had a drop since I was 13.

I’m pretty sure my not drinking is the main reason Jackie hasn’t married me yet.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:56:54 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »
Haven't had a drop since May 28, 2011. Nothing fancy about it, I'm just a garden variety drunk who was given the choice of quit drinking or die.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 09:18:15 PM »
KS, I totally get where you are coming from.

When you're in a group, and you are hardly indulging (or not at all), what's hard is noticing how much sillier and sillier the others are acting......and rather than hamming it up or guffawing over stupid stuff, you start acting more restrained as the evening goes on.  I had that problem, because I would be thinking back to 'damn, that was me years ago'.  I do miss that group where I could let loose and 'just be me', but those friends are gone, and those days are over.

It also depends on the group you're with. 

I'm rarely in that situation these days.  We were out earlier today during the 1pm games, had two drinks, lots of laughs, and then a couple of sodas before we headed home to watch our Ravens lose out on a playoff berth.   >:(

Damn, now I want a drink!  Nah, think I'll cook us up a couple of omelettes instead.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline max_security

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:57:50 PM »
November 22 , 2013 was it for me. I'm glad I found a new way to live man.

And if I was still drinking I'd ride down to " The Bank " and give old Dean Pees a retirement party " Balmore Style Hun " upside his freaking head (Ravens D Coordinator ).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 10:16:33 PM »
Plenty of good thoughts thus far. :coolio

I should mention, too, that I was never someone who had a drinking problem. I used to drink often, like maybe have a few 4-5 nights a week whenever I'd go out, but was never someone who had to drink.  And I have never been someone who drinks at home alone; I was never anything more than a social drinker.  I don't think I've ever went to the store and bought liquor with the intention of keeping it at my home to drink.

My late 20's/early 30's was probably my big drinking phase (early to mid 00's), back when the circle of friends I had liked to go clubbing and partying. It was fun at the time, but I can't imagine doing that kind of stuff anymore.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »
I'm 25 and as far as I recall, I never drank at all.  Ever.  Don't know why.  Probably had no desire at all to do so and no motive to do in the first place or in the future.  I don't mind it.
replace 25 with 24 and you have me

i think the hardest thing i've ever drank was church wine when i was like 8, i had a small sip and was like "welp never doing this again"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »
I have only blacked out once and that was thanks to wine.  The wineries down in Hermann, MO for Octoberfest in 2002.  Starting at around 9:30 that morning, I think I had several cocktails and two bottles of wine before noon that day...on an empty stomach.  To this day, I do not remember anything from noon till around 5 pm that fateful day. :lol :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
I'm 45 and I never got used to the taste. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »
A blackout is pretty damn freaky thing to go through. Had more than a few in my 20s, and luckily never caused any harm or damage in any of them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:44 PM »
Haven't had a drop since May 28, 2011. Nothing fancy about it, I'm just a garden variety drunk who was given the choice of quit drinking or die.

:tup

June 27, 2008 for me. Coming up on 10 yrs. hard to believe.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:45:11 AM »
I have a pint of Jack Daniels and a large bottle of Crown Royal, given as gifts and both unopened.
I need to give these to someone that drinks liquor.  The only time I drink is beer on our annual beach
vacation and then I am over it for another year.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 06:51:43 AM »
I am a sweet tooth so most alcohol has little appeal aside from  JD/Canadian Club + Coke , some spirits and dessert wines/port/tokay etc....have always been a very light drinker.

I would average maybe 12 drinking days a year................generally when I am at a gig (not that often these days) , playing pool/billiards or when I am dealing with a flu.   Ouzo is a very good throat soother/disinfectant  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:10:46 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 07:17:36 AM »

:tup

June 27, 2008 for me. Coming up on 10 yrs. hard to believe.

You motherfuckers are inspirations. Haven't had a drop since September 12, 2015.

Alcoholic here, so it wasn't so much as a "eh, i think I'll cut back" so much as it was do or die (or rot in prison).

My life is definitely a lot better but I also realize this won't be the case for some people. Either way the more I work in the bartending business, the more it bolsters my need (and now my actual want) to not ever drink again, ironically. Initially I didn't think I could work in the industry after I got sober but it was a weirdly good fit since I had already been in the industry for almost a decade. Good time of year for the topic as I'm sure there's a lot of people sitting freshly put in jail/prison right now thanks to the wonderful affects of alcohol plus a healthy dose of stupidity. YAY 2018.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »
I'm one of those weird people who have limited, almost childish tastes with food, and that translates also with beverages - I never drink 99,.5% of the time, and that 0,5% that I do, it's the softest drink possible, like a sex on the beach (but it's years since I don't have one) and maybe Coke and Malibu. I try to hide it with "Not feel like drinking now, maybe later" and "I'm driving" 'cause there's this weird social convention when you HAVE to drink when you're out and if you don't do you're a weirdo.

I swear, I don't know if it happens also where you all live, but at a party with friends I could say "I piss in the sink" and people would go "Uh well, anyone has their quirks", I could confess to have just jacked off before going out, and probably people would say "Uh well, you have to get release some time", but if I dare to utter "I won't drink" or I will order just a tea or a fruit drink, everyone would jump out "NOOOO OH COME ON MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING SHAME ON YOU" like if I just announced I want to invade Poland.

(I'm talking mostly about big groups of people, coworkers at a social party for example, when I'm going out with my closest friends or we're just 2 or 3 they don't annoy me about it).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »
I don't know how to answer this question.   I go in waves, I guess.   In college, I was a heavy drinker,  both volume and frequency.   Right after school, it kind of tapered off, and through law school, I didn't drink much at all.   Then it picked up, until I got married, then it changed.   I still drank often, but not as heavily, since I was married to someone who is an alcoholic.   So I had to be the conscientious one.  From that point on, I sort of became a binge drinker.   Not often, but there were times when I let loose and hit it hard.  After the divorce, I sort of morphed into more frequent, less quantity, though again, there were occasionally times when I let loose.  Now remarried (to a woman who was previously married to an active, and destructive, alcoholic) I rarely drink, except for the glass of wine at dinner (which I love). 

I've been lucky with regards to trouble, but it's mostly been luck:
- I'm not a violent drunk at all (lover not a fighter);
- my tolerance has always been high enough that I usually get tired of drinking - bloated or full - before I get in too much trouble;
- I see a lot of concerts, and I do not like being hammered at them.   If I'm with a group, I'll have a couple beers before, but I want to see the show.  If I go by myself - which I do a lot - I will only have a drink if the venue sells them, and only one, MAYBE two;
- I like people, I like talking to people, but I don't like being out of control.  So you'll almost never see me as the sloppy guy at the bar.

Technically speaking I suppose I do have symptoms of a problem, but I talk about it at length with my therapist and between her and a wife that won't tolerate being a part of that life again, I'm comfortable that any problems I have are my problems - me - not alcohol.  If that makes sense. 

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
I’m 31 and I drink a lot less now. I used to go out every Friday and Saturday night and just get plastered but now I don’t want to feel like shut the next morning and it’s expensive. It’s also a lot more enjoyable to just have a single drink and listen to a record in my living room.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
From 17 to 22, I had my fun.

After that I just lost interest. Any alcohol at this point in my life is just a once and a while kind of thing. And having seen cirrhosis up close and personal, its not something I want to contribute to in myself in any way. I'm more into trying to eat right and exercise and routine alcohol is antagonist to those goals. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 04:13:22 AM »
I am a sweet tooth so most alcohol has little appeal aside from  JD/Canadian Club + Coke , some spirits and dessert wines/port/tokay etc....have always been a very light drinker.

I would average maybe 12 drinking days a year................generally when I am at a gig (not that often these days) , playing pool/billiards or when I am dealing with a flu.   Ouzo is a very good throat soother/disinfectant  ;D

I'd probably average 10-15 drinks a year now too.  usually only if I'm out to dinner with the gf or mates/work collegues, which is once a month/six weeks or so.  Sometimes on a Saturday night watching the footy all day is good with a couple of drinks but I didn't do much of that this year due to my strict diet and training.

I drank like a fish from 15-21 but never been a massive drinker after that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 05:04:31 AM »
I misread as "Who else never or rarely drinks liquids anymore?" :lolpalm:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 06:30:35 AM »
Me.   

I was a party animal in my 20's, having finished college and hanging out with my drinking buddies 2-3 nights a week.  When I met my wife, I'd get her to go out sometimes to see a band or meet up with friends, but she was never into drinking.  Her family has a number of alcoholics, which really turned her off from seeing any point in getting drunk, aside from taking one night on our trips to Vegas where we'll cut loose.  We've become homebodies and now with two young kids, we never go out.  We never drink at home except for an occasional drink for a holiday or summer party that we're hosting - I've had the same 5 bottles of beer in my fridge for almost a year, mainly if someone comes over and wants one.  We'll have a glass or two of wine for a holiday dinner, but never follow it up with anything else.

Honestly, for the past 3 years, I've wanted to be lucid for when the baby or my two year old daughter wakes up in the middle of the night.  I don't even take Nyquil when I have a cold so I can have a clear head for those moments.  Time will come when I may feel like drinking again, but caffeine is my drug of choice now.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 06:36:41 AM »
I don't drink a whole lot these days, all things considered. I'll get drunk maybe once a month, and it's not even that drunk. I couldn't black out these days if I tried. I simply just can't drink fast enough anymore. I feel hungover by beer 8.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
Yea i'm the same, I don't drink much anymore but I don't mind a afterwork beer once in a while or sip on a fine whiskey.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 07:54:52 AM »
I'm a drinker, but I had gotten fairly sick over the weekend and went to my girlfriends place last Friday for her birthday, she had a bunch of friends over drinking and they were going to go to the bar next door.  I had just started feeling sick at this party so I had half a drink and realized, this wasn't going to be good so I stopped.  i was the only sober one there, which is interesting because I usually never am the sober one.  Just watching everyone drink was kind of interesting how everyone changed as the night went on.  I feel for you guys who say you feel awkward when you aren't drinking around people who are, but I know I have the utmost respect for people who choose not to partake.  It's tough and I know some people like to taunt ormake fun of the people not drinking.  I think that's really wrong.  Given how hard it is to not drink around others who do, I've always thought the ones who do that are really cool people (like my college roommate).  I've always respected that. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 08:43:43 AM »
I have a pretty low tolerance for alcohol in the first place, which is both good and bad.  Nice to be able to just have a beer or two and feel a buzz.  Not so nice when it only takes that third one to make me sick.

During the band days in the 80's, most bars gave the band a discount on drinks, or even provided two free per night or something, so I got into whiskey and coke, and eventually built up something like a tolerance for it.  But it was never my main buzz anyway.  I've always prefered the combustibles, which have the added effect of squelching the nausea I feel from drinking.

I probably haven't had a drink in four or five years at this point.  I don't even keep track; it just never comes up.  I'd rather smoke.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 10:09:09 AM »
I don't have a problem with alcohol but I understand why some people stay away from it. I can drink with no problems but I don't like having more than a couple at a time (especially because I drink big, heavy stouts, 8-12% apiece). I had a bit too much New Year's Eve but otherwise I never drink to the point of having a hangover. Cottonmouth, headaches, the spins, no, thanks. I'll take weed any day over booze given the choice (which I almost always opt for given a choice).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »
Slightly off topic but not too much, given the discussion is about liquor on a DT forum:

In mid-December we had the company Xmas party, and the one I was meant to carry home, a DT fan too, was drunk. Even though we're DT buddies we don't really hang out together so I never saw him intoxicated, and I didn't know how much he was actually gone since he was slurring very bad while talking. So, while walking to the car, to check if he was there, I asked him to identify the song and I sang the bridge to Raise the Knife, the "Reading through all of the digests you show me" section. He recognized the song, so I knew that he was not completely out of his mind  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
New sobriety test for state police and other law enforcement officers: If you can identify Dream Theater lyrics, you're fine.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
I turned 50 in 2017.  I will VERY OCCASIONALLY have a beer when I go out to dinner with my family.  My wife will occasionally buy beer or hard cider, and I might have one now and then.  She'll also crack open a bottle of wine every so often, but I rarely partake.  When my wife and I (re-)married in 2007, we got a fancy looking bottle of champagne that we just opened on Christmas (we each had a glass).  I would estimate I had fewer than 15 12-ounce bottles or pint glasses of beer in 2017 and, with the exception of the Christmas champagne, nothing stronger than beer.  Compared to my drinking habits in my late teens and 20s, I'd say that counts as "rarely."  When I was in my late teens and early 20s, my two best friends and I routinely went to the movies at a local drive-in theater.  EACH OF US would typically buy a 12-pack of beer, and most of them would be gone by the end of the evening.  I can't even imagine how many DUI tickets I should have gotten.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
Honestly, for the past 3 years, I've wanted to be lucid for when the baby or my two year old daughter wakes up in the middle of the night.  I don't even take Nyquil when I have a cold so I can have a clear head for those moments. 
I totally get that. And can definitely appreciate that.

I did a similar thing, though not with alcohol. I haven't taken a hit of weed since my oldest son was born. Not that I was a flaming pothead or anything like that, but I felt that I needed a level head for whatever came up, and I didn't want my kids to see me do drugs. And personally, I just would not have felt right about it.

Now I still drink beer, plenty of it, and my kids see that. My 16 y/o I won't have to worry about, but my 14 y/o is really coming of age. My wife and I have been more sensitive about alcohol. We still drink, but I am careful about glorifying it, whether it's pointing out a cool mug or a cool beer brand t shirt, or going overboard in my praise of a new beer in front of the kids.

We went to Ireland last summer, and when we put the trip together, the Guinness plant was a priority, but once we got there, my wife and I talked and we actually scratched it off the list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2018, 01:57:43 PM »
Honestly, for the past 3 years, I've wanted to be lucid for when the baby or my two year old daughter wakes up in the middle of the night.  I don't even take Nyquil when I have a cold so I can have a clear head for those moments. 
I totally get that. And can definitely appreciate that.

I did a similar thing, though not with alcohol. I haven't taken a hit of weed since my oldest son was born. Not that I was a flaming pothead or anything like that, but I felt that I needed a level head for whatever came up, and I didn't want my kids to see me do drugs. And personally, I just would not have felt right about it.

Now I still drink beer, plenty of it, and my kids see that. My 16 y/o I won't have to worry about, but my 14 y/o is really coming of age. My wife and I have been more sensitive about alcohol. We still drink, but I am careful about glorifying it, whether it's pointing out a cool mug or a cool beer brand t shirt, or going overboard in my praise of a new beer in front of the kids.

We went to Ireland last summer, and when we put the trip together, the Guinness plant was a priority, but once we got there, my wife and I talked and we actually scratched it off the list.

This all is a big component of the conversation for me as well. I still like to drink beer a couple times a week after a long day at work, but I watch myself very closely. We have a two year old daughter who sometimes decides to randomly get up at 2am and walk around the house. My worst fear is not being able to wake up and care for her because I decided two beers after dinner should turn into 10 or something.

When our daughter was born, I didn't drink a drop for about 7 months, just because I wanted to make sure I was 100% 24 hours a day. Now that she's a little older, like I said, I don't mind drinking a couple beers after she goes to bed, but I definitely drink a lot less than I used to, that's for sure.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
Yeah, totally. In fact while my wife refrained from alcohol for the two pregnancies, I did the same to show support.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »
Yeah, totally. In fact while my wife refrained from alcohol for the two pregnancies, I did the same to show support.

I did for most of my wife's pregnancy as well.