Author Topic: G3  (Read 10624 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: G3
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
Sure.  And while I don't know anything at this point, I would think the odds might be decent since he likes working with Mangini on the solo stuff, and he has easy access to Mangini now.  And he also is not busy with DT stuff for the next little bit.  So, it is certainly possible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
Would love to see G3 in Seattle tomorrow night, but too broke to make the trip and I gotta work tomorrow.  Wish it was on Saturday,  Oh well...  :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »
So...tour starts tomorrow.  Been listening to Suspended Animation to get ready.  I had forgotten how good some of those songs are.  It reminds me of a good mix of LTE and Satch, which isn't a bad thing.  I just don't listen to guitar-based instrumental music all that much or I would listen more.

I'll be there at the Seattle show tonight.  Interested in Satch and JP, obviously, but have no idea what Phil Coleen is going to play.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »
If you wanna know who John's backing band is (small font for those who may not want spoilers):

Dave LaRue and Mike Mangini.  Not surprising, but a good fit, IMO.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 11:20:23 AM »
Has JP ever toured with a different bassist on G3.

The same guy played for JP when I saw G3 over 10 years ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
I know JP has been on G3 six times, but I don't know who played bass for him on all those tours.  LaRue would make sense though.  He has a strong prog/fusion pedigree, having played with Dixie Dregs since '88.  He has done projects with Petrucci, Rudess, Portnoy, and Sherinian, so he is VERY connected to the members of DT.  He has also worked with Satriani and with Steve Morse, so he is well-connected with G3 members even outside of Petrucci. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:12 PM »
I just wanted to say that I love Dave LaRue.

Might be one of my favorite bassists ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »
I'm not familiar with most of what he has done, but I like his playing that I have heard.  I met him briefly when his solo band did an opening slot in a tiny place up here a year or two ago.  Seems like a nice guy, although he wasn't very talkative at the time.  I joked that I was disappointed there was no Blue Ocean in the set, and he laughed. 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
Dave LaRue is an awesome bass player, and has cool stage presence!  Wish I was in Seattle tonight, anyone that goes please post a review..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
Would anyone be able to tell me is Suspended Animation is being sold at the shows? (Obviously once they start happening...)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »
I doubt it.  I don't believe it is currently in print.  But I will let you know if I see it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
I'm not familiar with most of what he has done, but I like his playing that I have heard.  I met him briefly when his solo band did an opening slot in a tiny place up here a year or two ago.  Seems like a nice guy, although he wasn't very talkative at the time.  I joked that I was disappointed there was no Blue Ocean in the set, and he laughed.

Honestly, I mostly know him from Flying Colors, and various youtube things, and the dude is still impressive enough that he's one of my favorites. Something about his general style just really speaks to me in a way that most bassists' don't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 07:57:56 PM »
If anyone here went to the show today, I would love to know the songs on the JP setlist ;D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 08:19:12 AM »
Setlist fm says JP played -

Damage Control
Glassy-Eyed Zombies
Glasgow Kiss

No clue if that's accurate or not, but that's what is posted.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
I’ve seen videos someone posted on youtube, I’m on my phone right now and can’t link them, but just search G3 2018 on youtube and you’ll find them.

JP opened the set with (SPOILERS)... The Wonder Woman theme (Hans Zimmer), it sounded amazing  :metal
Then, he played Jaws of Life, Glasgow Kiss, Glassy-Eted Zombies and Cloud Ten, don’t know in which order, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
What songs did they jam on at the end of the night?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
Wow, there are a bunch of songs up! 

What songs did they jam on at the end of the night?

*********SPOILERS***********

There are videos up for these:
-Going Down
-Superstition
-Highway Star

Not sure of the order

Offline PetFish

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
I really wish they'd do a Purple Rain jam, seems natural, but they never have, I wonder why that is.  :(

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 11:12:26 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Glassy Eyed Zombies  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »
Shit. That Cloud Ten song is amazing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 07:41:48 PM »
Glassy Eyed Zombies  :metal

And this is why JP needs to find time to finally record that second solo album :biggrin: :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
I'd be happy with a soundboard from the tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »
Even if JP just put out a 4 or 5 song EP or something, it would be great.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »
Here's an interesting article/interview I just read talking about the history of G3 tours, where the idea came from and what it takes to make it happen. Also gives us a little insight into what it generally takes to get a tour happening.
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joe-satriani-says-g3-tour-was-created-because-success-had-isolated-him-from-everybody/
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
That's cool, Scott!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
Really interesting read Scotty

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Yeah, that was a good read thanks Scotty. Interesting to read about Joe struggling to find promoters to book shows.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »

It's pure chocolate cake.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »
The Reno show was REALLY good.  The only real downside was that it was one of the loudest shows I have ever been to, and the kick drum out loud volume had a tendency to cause the guitars to overdistort and blur together, so the mix sounded VERY muddy at times.  Phil Collen had the best mix.  JP's was very muddy at first, but got better through his set.  Satch's mix was a mess, honestly.  I couldn't hear his backup guitarist at all most of the time, and there were plenty of times I couldn't even tell what Joe was playing.  And that is even with ear plugs to deaden the volume a bit (and thank goodness I had them--it would have literally been painful if I hadn't had them). 

Phil Collen's set was surprisingly good.  His band has a CD that is going to be released.  JP had an advance copy Phil gave him, which he showed me.  Phil's band was really fun and talented.  I enjoyed his set more than I thought I would. 

JP's set was tight, and had a good selection.  It started off pretty dark and heavy, which was a nice contrast to the other two sets.  The Wonder Woman instrumental to start it off was really cool.  He was pretty proud of that one.  He told me afterward that when he saw the film, the soundtrack and score immediately jumped out to him, and he thought to himself that he just HAD TO take that main them and do a heavy guitar version of it, which is what led to him working it up for G3.  Interestingly, Glasgow Kiss has probably been my least favorite from Suspended Animation, but I really enjoyed it here.

Satch was Satch.  I enjoyed it for what it was.  But honestly, I was just waiting for the jam.  And, man, the jam was REALLY fun.  I loved the selections.  And using the singer from Phil's group was perfect and really made them feel like complete songs rather than just a familiar backing track for these guys to solo over.  That really gave it a different vibe from past G3 jams, and it was a welcome change. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
So did Phil's songs all include vocals then?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:46 AM »
The first one was an instrumental cover.  The rest had vocals.  Very blues-based "jammy" kind of tunes.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
That sounds good. I guess I might grab the tickets then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
The first one was an instrumental cover.  The rest had vocals.  Very blues-based "jammy" kind of tunes.

Interesting, I thought the individual sets were always all instrumental.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »

Interesting, I thought the individual sets were always all instrumental.

When I saw G3 in 2007 Paul Gilbert played many songs with vocals.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.