Author Topic: Need Your Opinion!  (Read 739 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Need Your Opinion!
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
So... I'm in the process of burning all my CDs to a network storage drive (the goal is to get a new AV receiver in the spring and be able to stream all my music lossless throughout the house).   I loaded A.S.A.P. (Adrian Smith's post-Maiden gig), then AC/DC and that's where I hit a snag.

Couple things:  I like complete shows, not live compilations, and will even use Garageband to "splice" the fades to make a complete experience.   I have also decided to "rip" my DVDs so I can have that audio as well.   I am trying to do so at CD quality so there is no noticeable drop-off in quality between the sources, and I think I have succeeded, but it's hard to tell without aforesaid new AV receiver! 

So my dilemma: I have four sort of "Compilation" sets of live material:  AC/DC Live, which is a rough setlist made up of songs from various sources (and all with a fade out in between). I have Family Jewels, which has about 10 or 15 live songs from throughout the years from various sources, some overlapping with the sources for AC/DC Live.  I have the Backtracks deluxe set, which has about 20 live songs, throughout the years, also with overlapping sources.  Finally, I have the three DVDs from "Plug Me In", which gives me about 50 live songs, throughout the years, also with overlapping sources.    So, for example, I have a couple songs (some duplicates) across all four sets from, say "Castle Donington" in '91, or Tushino Airfield, Russia, '91.

Should I file them according to the set - i.e. "AC/DC Live" or "Family Jewels" - or do I reorganize by the source - i.e. put all the Castle Donington songs together?  If the latter, do I edit the fades out and replicate a live set?  I'm leaning to the latter, even though it's a ton of work, and I fear that I will be able to tell which set the material will come from.

Any thoughts?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Need Your Opinion!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
Since I sort of consider us to be "online friends," I'm really tempted to tell you to just scrap the whole idea, because a good friend would NEVER let a friend listen to AC/DC.  But I sense that that isn't what you are looking for and wouldn't really be welcome.  So I won't tell you that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
I'm actually not familiar with what is on all of the separate releases, but generally speaking I would file them according to set like this:

Should I file them according to the set - i.e. "AC/DC Live" or "Family Jewels" -

Either that, or if you can piece together complete or almost complete shows, you could do it by show.

That's not really helpful is it? :lol

EDIT: More helpful than Bosk. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
I'd label it by performance and abbreviate the release it comes in parenthesis at the end.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:23:08 PM »
I take Bosk's input with the spirit it's intended! :)

I think I'm leaning to TAC's second choice and Ytserush's suggestion.  Form partial setlists.  I'm already doing that with "If You Want Blood..." (which is 90% of a complete show, but out of order to fit on albums sides; I reordered them and added the two songs from the Plug Me In set that complete the show).   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:51:44 PM »
Why not do both? Storage is cheap now, and the straight rip takes almost no effort. Personally, I'd want everything by album name. You're prepared to do that anyway. I might also make a live performance if there's a show I particularly wanted.

Also, how much live ACDC does any person really need? I mean, what's the difference? 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »
Why not do both? Storage is cheap now, and the straight rip takes almost no effort. Personally, I'd want everything by album name. You're prepared to do that anyway. I might also make a live performance if there's a show I particularly wanted.

Also, how much live ACDC does any person really need? I mean, what's the difference?

Hey! I have seven live versions of Back in Black right now!  Who knows? I may need to hear '83 in Joe Louis Arena, or '91 at Castle Donington!    :) :)   I do agree with you (and, implicitly, Bosk); I'm putting WAYYYYY to much effort into this one issue. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:29 PM »
I'd go with '83.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol