Author Topic: Scenes vs I&W  (Read 3499 times)

Offline LKap13

Re: Scenes vs I&W
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2023, 04:52:06 PM »
Yep and now hopefully this new album heralds a new era of excellence

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2023, 01:12:47 PM »
I occasionally drop by the DT subreddit, which is probably where the young and hip fans go nowadays. It doesn't seem to me as though "The Big Four" is as frequently cited over there. I see a lot more love for some of the later Portnoy albums, which I feel like are not as praised over here. Just kind of a random observation that I found interesting.

That's funny; I've never been there.

Really?  :lol

But I'm young and hip, no?   :) :) :)
I'm guessing you're old and hip like me.  50's is the new 20's right!?
Age is only a number.

*cries as my bald spot gets bigger, my knee continues giving out, and another tooth starts hurting*
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2023, 02:33:02 PM »
It's I&W for me, without the slightest doubt.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2023, 03:33:44 PM »
I occasionally drop by the DT subreddit, which is probably where the young and hip fans go nowadays. It doesn't seem to me as though "The Big Four" is as frequently cited over there. I see a lot more love for some of the later Portnoy albums, which I feel like are not as praised over here. Just kind of a random observation that I found interesting.

That's funny; I've never been there.

Really?  :lol

But I'm young and hip, no?   :) :) :)

Stads, you're young at heart and have at least one good working hip, so I think you're good. :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2023, 04:08:10 PM »
Images and Words is the single best collection of songs Dream Theater have released on one disc, but an album is more than just the songs. Nowhere is this point encapsulated more than on Scenes From a Memory, an album with some pretty great songs in its own right, but as an entire listening experience just feels more complete. It is not just Dream Theater at their peak, not just the best prog metal album ever, it’s one of the greatest progressive metal albums of all time. It’s just a special record.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2023, 04:20:58 PM »
Images and Words is the single best collection of songs Dream Theater have released on one disc, but an album is more than just the songs. Nowhere is this point encapsulated more than on Scenes From a Memory, an album with some pretty great songs in its own right, but as an entire listening experience just feels more complete. It is not just Dream Theater at their peak, not just the best prog metal album ever, it’s one of the greatest progressive metal albums of all time. It’s just a special record.

But is it especially special? ;)

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2023, 09:26:59 PM »
It was definitely a moment...a moment in Dream Theater history.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2023, 02:00:06 PM »
Images and Words for Herrick.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2023, 10:36:28 AM »

But is it especially special? ;)

-Marc.
Yes. :) How could it be anything but?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2023, 11:14:49 AM »
Image & Words
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2023, 02:08:02 PM »
Just historically speaking, I&W had the far bigger impact on my life and I think it definitely has better songs than SFAM. SFAM I always liked more than loved, even when it first came out (the music is cool but the story remains clunky at best). But I’d probably say SFAM has aged a bit more gracefully for me. Don’t revisit either one all that often these days. If I put on DT these days, it’s likely to be Awake or FII (or ACOS).

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2023, 05:58:05 PM »
I think this is a good litmus test for those who enjoy the quality of individual songs on an album versus the "album experience." I mean, not like Images isn't a great album experience, but there's something about an overture and leitmotif that hits right when done well. Scenes was my introduction to DT so I guess I have to side with it on that basis alone but, man, talk about two killer DT experiences.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2023, 07:02:57 PM »
Images and Words.