Author Topic: R.I.P. Dick Enberg  (Read 899 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
R.I.P. Dick Enberg
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:23:32 AM »
A true legend of sports broadcasting.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline PowerSlave

Re: R.I.P. Dick Enberg
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
A true legend of sports broadcasting.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Very well said
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
Did you ever get the sense that every time you turned on a major sporting event you heard the same voice on the call? And that guy did it as good if not better than anyone else? That wasnt your imagination.  That was Dick Enberg.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
OH MY!

Remember him and Merlin Olsen calling NFL games on NBC as a kid.

A legend no doubt.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »
The somewhat corny recreations on the game show 'Sports Challenge' (fun to see the old timers tested on their sport knowledge).

Staying up very late on those rare occasions when 'TVS' would broadcast UCLA games from Pauley Pavilion.  And then later on teaming up with Al McGuire and Billy Packer for 'must listen to' NCAA games.

One of my favorite moments (start at 14:30)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQNiCoBfGE

Disappointed when CBS took over college basketball broadcasts, because there went my chance to listen to those guys together.  Was sad when NBC lost out on NFL games, because that meant no more Enberg (for a few years).  I enjoyed and learned from him and his cohorts.  I didn't feel bombarded and oversaturated with often meaningless stats, and they let the games come to you.  I actually listened to his games, which I rarely do for most announcing teams currently.

As a fellow Central Michigan alumnus who enjoys sports, to say I looked up to him, and admired his announcing ability along with his gentlemanly nature, would be an understatement.  He did so love that school:

https://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/chippewa-fund/spec-rel/061517aaa.html

From Key West to Suttons Bay, and all points in between, he'll be missed....and fondly remembered.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »

Remember him and Merlin Olsen calling NFL games on NBC as a kid.

A legend no doubt.

Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
Yeah, Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen were awesome in the booth.
RIP
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White