Author Topic: Starting High School  (Read 20998 times)

Offline blackngold29

Re: Starting High School
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 10:00:41 PM »
Although we say don't get a girlfriend, if there's some girl whose completely amazing; in my case: Say she's freaking hot, she likes DT, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, baseball, and Stephen King (Dethklok fan would be a nice bonus). Don't even waste time, just marry her on the spot.

Mega-nerd much?
Yeah, which is the reason I would marry her on the spot. Girls like that come along less than once in a lifetime. :P

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »
Heh, well, I was going to ask if you were going to Parkland or William Allen, and since it's the latter I can actually give you some advice.

Watch how you react to people, you have a tendency to react badly or overreact when someone does something that annoys you, and at that school it can end with you getting fucked up. William Allen is within a two minute walk of my house and more than once I've seen big fights break out after school, and on a few sad occasions I've seen police tape in the area due to that school. If you piss off the wrong people it's going to come back to haunt you, so watch your ass. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just letting you know not to be stupid.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Although we say don't get a girlfriend, if there's some girl whose completely amazing; in my case: Say she's freaking hot, she likes DT, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, baseball, and Stephen King (Dethklok fan would be a nice bonus). Don't even waste time, just marry her on the spot.

Awesome.

Because physical attractiveness and entertainment preferences are the only important traits to look for in a partner.

:neverusethis:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »
Heh, well, I was going to ask if you were going to Parkland or William Allen, and since it's the latter I can actually give you some advice.

Watch how you react to people, you have a tendency to react badly or overreact when someone does something that annoys you, and at that school it can end with you getting fucked up. William Allen is within a two minute walk of my house and more than once I've seen big fights break out after school, and on a few sad occasions I've seen police tape in the area due to that school. If you piss off the wrong people it's going to come back to haunt you, so watch your ass. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just letting you know not to be stupid.

Trust me, I know when to cool it. I'm not going to do anything stupid and end up being that white chalk on the concrete.

edit: Plus I'm in like the mega gifted/honors program so the only time I will have to interact with these cavemen is in the halls between classes, and walking home. But that won't be a problem seeing as how I live in the opposite direction of the ghetto. :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »

Trust me, I know when to cool it. I'm not going to do anything stupid and end up being that white chalk on the concrete.

Nice, they still have recess and chalk drawings at your high school?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2009, 10:07:10 PM »
How were we alike?

I'll break it down then:

When I left Jew school (a year after you, but still it's important), I held the same attitude you do of your religion.  I resisted it at every turn, even when my parents tried to shove it down my throat (especially might be more appropriate).

evey day of my school life, I am forced to sit around and listen to the "oh, i like____) "___ and ___ blank are going out" and I think its bull shit. Yiu can't like someone when you are 14 and having a girl friend is a staus symbol.

I understood this at your age as well.  It was really weird for me when my closest friend was suddenly talking about girls and who was going out with whom.  I felt like he'd changed in a bad way, and I decided as you did that...

when I should finally "like" somebody, I will truly have feeling for her. Not some shitty "liking" on a 14 ear old level. Next, you cant " go out" either you cant fucking drive so what the fuck are you supposed to do, have your mom drive you too the movies...reeeeeeeal romantic.

I figured I'd wait till I could drive on my own to start dating.  And then I met the girl, and everything changed.

I'm not trying to say this will definitely happen to you.  Hell, maybe there's no chance in hell it'll happen to you.  I just find it interesting how similar you are to how I was.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
What I fnd interesting is how you knew my parents tried to shove it down my throat, because they do. I've never said it. But your right. Also, you felt the same I did then met a chick and everything changed. Or did I not undertand you.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 10:10:35 PM »
No, you understood me perfectly.  Now I'm not necessarily saying that this girl will happen to you and change your life like she did mine; it's just fascinating for me to see a reflection of my younger self in you.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
it's just fascinating for me to see a reflection of my younger self in you.

I bet saying that makes you feel really really ancient.  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
No, you understood me perfectly.  Now I'm not necessarily saying that this girl will happen to you and change your life like she did mine; it's just fascinating for me to see a reflection of my younger self in you.

Time machine maybe. *Twighlight Zone Theme* But in all seriousness.

A. How did you figure out the whole shoving down throat thing.

B. What happened with you and this chick.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2009, 10:15:12 PM »
Old man piping in....
The best advice I can give is don't get swallowed up by the "be popular" machine, it can hinder the development of the person you should be growing into.  Also, remember, it's only four years long, and though at the time, they may seem like the most important time of your life, it is really just a blip in your lifetime.  Study hard, good luck, and don't do drugs!!! :tup

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »

:neerusethis:
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »

TARDFAIL

:neverusethis:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2009, 10:16:45 PM »
Trust me, I donlt give a shit about "popular"

Once you get to know me, you will find out that I am basically Anti-"normal teen."

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »

And the worse part is, its coming from icy.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »
No, you understood me perfectly.  Now I'm not necessarily saying that this girl will happen to you and change your life like she did mine; it's just fascinating for me to see a reflection of my younger self in you.

Time machine maybe. *Twighlight Zone Theme* But in all seriousness.

B. What happened with you and this chick.

A. I didn't necessarily know they were shoving it down your throat, but I had a strong guess based on how resistant you were to the idea of learning Hebrew, as you discussed in the DT-side chat thread.

B. That's a loooooooong-ass story.  It can be summarized, but a lot is lost in the abridged version:

1. I go to public school where I know next to no one and am friends with pretty much no one
2. Girl is the first person (only person at that point) nice enough to come up to me and introduce herself
3. Over the course of a year I develop strong feelings for her (I can't even remember why, Idk what I found so appealing about her)
4. I confess my feelings at the end of the year, she rejects me and puts me in the friend zone
5. I don't get over her and the feelings get stronger, and the fall of the next year I tell her I love her
6. She becomes increasingly impatient with me and eventually breaks off what friendship we had
7. I have no friends for the remaining six months at said high school until I transfer to a private school for junior year

And as I said, this doesn't even begin to cover it.

it's just fascinating for me to see a reflection of my younger self in you.

I bet saying that makes you feel really really ancient.  :lol

When talking to my closest friend I often call myself an old man.  So yes, but it's nothing new.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
Trust me, I donlt give a shit about "popular"

Once you get to know me, you will find out that I am basically Anti-"normal teen."

Don't get too wrapped up in all that anti-normal-teen shit.  I took it to the extreme, and in some ways I'm still suffering from those decisions.  Don't worry so much about what's normal or not normal, just worry about whether it's you or not you.

I know, more sappy advice.  Just something to think about.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »
Oh, and avoid goths.  They're nice people actually, but they do tend to get in a lot of trouble, and you don't wanna be around when that happens.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2009, 10:22:59 PM »
Super Dude: That sucks. But yeah, thats how I feel. And yes, my mom shoves Judiasm (sp, maybe, I really should know how to spell it) down my throat. I don't think my feelings will change.

To P (your name is long and I don't wanna type it out): I really hate the whole "normal teen" thing. I don't think that is changing anytime soon. How did you get screwed by "taking it too far?"

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:57 PM »
Don't waste too much time studying. After the point where they're good enough to get you into university, grades will never help you in life.

And for the love of God, stop posting here until you've graduated. Maybe you'll be less obnoxious by then.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
Now Scurv, be nice. :police:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
Don't waste too much time studying. After the point where they're good enough to get you into university, grades will never help you in life.

And for the love of God, stop posting here until you've graduated. Maybe you'll be less obnoxious by then.

Exlain my obnoxiosness, I get n00bishess but obnoxiousness. I have reformed since the temp ban and I have been a productive member of this society.

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
To P (your name is long and I don't wanna type it out): I really hate the whole "normal teen" thing. I don't think that is changing anytime soon. How did you get screwed by "taking it too far?"

Let's see if I can summarize this without missing anything important and without making myself look TOO pathetic.

When I was in ninth grade, I was very much against the normal teen mindset.  I saw the kids around me doing things that I thought were stupid or trivial or irresponsible.  As a result, I didn't associate with them because I didn't want to become like them.  Most of the friends I had during high school were friends I had from before high school.  

What used to just be a distaste for what was considered normal became an active hatred.  I began to resent the "normal" kids because they were actually enjoying themselves by being normal.  Meanwhile, I was lonely and miserable.  Fate and my darkening attitude separated me from the few friends that I had, and that made everything worse.  I spent most of my junior and senior years in smoldering hatred for just about everyone around me.  

So I graduated and went to college.  And I thought, hey, this is a chance to reinvent myself.  I decided to try and be more social.  But since I'd spent the last four years by myself, I realized I had virtually no social skills. Any social events I attended became extremely awkward for me and usually pretty awkward for the people I went with.  So after a while, I gave up on a social life in college, too.

I guess I've kind of made peace with my social lot in life at this point.  I have about four friends left and the closest one is about fifty miles away.  Our friendships consists of bitching about our miserable lives to each other about once a month over AIM.  I've been a loner so long that even if I decided I was tired of being lonely and wanted to go out and do something, I wouldn't know how to do it.

I did all of this because I was so convinced that I didn't want to be normal.  And now I'm not normal.  I'm the weird, awkward guy with an occasional stutter who doesn't make eye contact and gets fidgety when face-to-face conversations last more than a few seconds.

Not that all this will happen to you, of course.  Because I still think that high school's version of "normal" isn't really a good thing.  Just don't let yourself get carried away.  Because the opposite of normal can sometimes be just as bad.

How's that for preachy?  :lol

Oh, and most people who don't feel like typing out my whole name just shorten it to Phant. :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »
Oh dear Jesus.  That's what happened to me too. :|

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »
Oh dear Jesus.  That's what happened to me too. :|

:lol

o/

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
Wow, I hate my life now. :sadpanda:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
Fuck, I'm just like that. I hate the norm. I'm somewhat of loner.  And I can't hold a conversation without it being about music or sports. I'm fucked. The one upside is I have 2 really close friends and a couple pretty good ones, so I guess that could be a saving grace.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
Right, just put yourself out there and enjoy yourself.  Don't take it to either extreme; never too normal, and never too abnormal.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2009, 10:52:53 PM »
Fuck. I started a thread asking for tips and now I found out that:

A. I'm going to get shot (Nick)
B. Going to fall in love with some chick and have it turn out bad (Super Dude)
C. Hate everyone and be a loner (Phant)

Fuckin' A!!!!!

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »
Fuck, I'm just like that. I hate the norm. I'm somewhat of loner.  And I can't hold a conversation without it being about music or sports. I'm fucked. The one upside is I have 2 really close friends and a couple pretty good ones, so I guess that could be a saving grace.

No, you're not fucked.  Just try to step out of your comfort zone a bit.  I always hated it when people told me that, and I still do.  But I think it would've been awesome advice for me to follow eight years ago.  You'll be fine as long as you try to reach out and meet some people.  I think you'll be surprised how many other people there are that also hate "normal."  Consider it a starting point for a friendship.

<edit>
I'm sorry this thread backfired on you.  We're just trying to help.  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2009, 10:56:17 PM »
It's called a comfort zone for a reason, fuck!

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2009, 10:57:37 PM »
It's called a comfort zone for a reason, fuck!

:lol

In my experience, comfort zones shrink as you spend more and more time in them.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »

Mega-nerd much?

Super Dude-I'm impatient, answer my question.

... My boyfriend loves all those things and I enjoy all of them as well

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
Yeah I know, mine has shrunk considerably since my passion for music has evolved. It's actually somehat sick that now that I look back. All my friends likethe same music I do. Is that a bad thing?

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Don't commit suicide.  No one will remember you later. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?