Author Topic: Starting High School  (Read 21001 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Starting High School
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »
To P (your name is long and I don't wanna type it out): I really hate the whole "normal teen" thing. I don't think that is changing anytime soon. How did you get screwed by "taking it too far?"

Let's see if I can summarize this without missing anything important and without making myself look TOO pathetic.

When I was in ninth grade, I was very much against the normal teen mindset.  I saw the kids around me doing things that I thought were stupid or trivial or irresponsible.  As a result, I didn't associate with them because I didn't want to become like them.  Most of the friends I had during high school were friends I had from before high school.  

What used to just be a distaste for what was considered normal became an active hatred.  I began to resent the "normal" kids because they were actually enjoying themselves by being normal.  Meanwhile, I was lonely and miserable.  Fate and my darkening attitude separated me from the few friends that I had, and that made everything worse.  I spent most of my junior and senior years in smoldering hatred for just about everyone around me.  

So I graduated and went to college.  And I thought, hey, this is a chance to reinvent myself.  I decided to try and be more social.  But since I'd spent the last four years by myself, I realized I had virtually no social skills. Any social events I attended became extremely awkward for me and usually pretty awkward for the people I went with.  So after a while, I gave up on a social life in college, too.

I guess I've kind of made peace with my social lot in life at this point.  I have about four friends left and the closest one is about fifty miles away.  Our friendships consists of bitching about our miserable lives to each other about once a month over AIM.  I've been a loner so long that even if I decided I was tired of being lonely and wanted to go out and do something, I wouldn't know how to do it.

I did all of this because I was so convinced that I didn't want to be normal.  And now I'm not normal.  I'm the weird, awkward guy with an occasional stutter who doesn't make eye contact and gets fidgety when face-to-face conversations last more than a few seconds.

Not that all this will happen to you, of course.  Because I still think that high school's version of "normal" isn't really a good thing.  Just don't let yourself get carried away.  Because the opposite of normal can sometimes be just as bad.

How's that for preachy?  :lol

Oh, and most people who don't feel like typing out my whole name just shorten it to Phant. :P

Damn, I can't believe I missed this. Close for me, emphasis on the resentment thing. I still feel that way in some regards, but some of it is legitimate. Sitting next to kids and hearing shallow things about how they're going to get wasted every night, speaking about it every class gets a bit old.

It's where I get torn. Being self-aware is nice, and having a sense of what to do (I don't know, fashion, "attitude", situations where people may be laughing at someone) helps, but at the same time I love being naive and people that are. Not having to deal with high school/college bullshit is ideal.

Man, this has been great to talk about. Superdude and Phantasmatron need to start our own subforum or PM thing. Otherwise, to the lonely hearts club!  :loser:

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
Yo dudes, I have a question. What the hell is going to happen to me on Freshman Friday?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »
Nothing.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2009, 11:58:43 PM »
Really, cause I am woried.

Offline xterp

« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »
Nothing at all.

The worst that happens is you might get a few water balloons thrown at you. I don't remember if that was Freshman Friday but it happened every year I was there. Don't hang out in the Annex and you should be good.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »

Oh shit, I forgot you went there. Oh well, I don't think I have classes in the annex. I am just freaked out a little because I know a dude that his brother and a bunch of his friends are going to bring chains and whip my friend...sucks for him. :lol

Offline xterp

« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2009, 12:30:18 AM »
Did you guys get an orientation day?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: September 05, 2009, 12:37:17 AM »
Toward the end of the year, but it was just basic bull shit talk. I have no idea where my classes are. The first day is going to be hell.

Offline xterp

« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:40 AM »
Hopefully you know which building is which at least. The only thing that could somewhat tricky is the Main Building since odd numbers are on one side and even numbers are on the other.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: September 05, 2009, 12:43:38 AM »
I'm starting HS next tuesday. Any tips?
It's more fun in all honesty. More freedom. Just be yourself, and stand up for yourself. I was really shy and timid my freshman year and it kinda ruined my sophmore year also. Then I stopped taking shit from people my junior year and now people look up to me my senior year.
gone

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: September 05, 2009, 12:45:06 AM »
Hopefully you know which building is which at least. The only thing that could somewhat tricky is the Main Building since odd numbers are on one side and even numbers are on the other.

Thats fine, I just hope I know what the hell I'm doing. It seems pretty straight forward but Allen is a massive school and when I went there to visit, it seems like there were fucking secret portals that led to weird fucking places. I'm gonna end up stuck in another demension amd all I'm going to be worried about is missing English class. :lol

Offline xterp

« Reply #187 on: September 05, 2009, 12:48:03 AM »

Thats fine, I just hope I know what the hell I'm doing. It seems pretty straight forward but Allen is a massive school and when I went there to visit, it seems like there were fucking secret portals that led to weird fucking places. I'm gonna end up stuck in another demension amd all I'm going to be worried about is missing English class. :lol

Freshman year I had to go from gym class to English (4th floor Annex). It was like the 2nd week of class so the group I was with didn't know our way around. The door in the parking lot was open so we took that instead of the usual way. We ended up getting lost and being 20 minutes late to English. We didn't get in trouble though since it was about half the class. I think after that I learned to not take mysterious shortcuts.

and this theory really helped me the first couple weeks: It's better to be lost outside than inside. Pretty much I was always outside even if it was slower.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:12 AM »
I will get used to it eventually. I just hope I don't have the dick teachers,

Dick: "Your late! Get out of my classroom!"

Me: "But sir, I'm learning my way around. It is the second day of school.

Dick: "You had yesterday didn't you! No go down to the pricipal for talking back to your superiors!"

Offline xterp

« Reply #189 on: September 05, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »
Unless you have some new people they hired, none of the teachers I know are like that. And I hope you're not on the Lehigh Street campus at all as well, that would be pretty confusing.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2009, 12:58:22 AM »

I am pretty sure I am at the main area.

Offline xterp

« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2009, 01:00:36 AM »
None of your classes have a C after the room number? If not, you should be good. I was only there once to take an AP test but it seems like a huge hassle to bus back and forth between campuses.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2009, 01:04:38 AM »
I think I'm good. I think it sucks that my 2 favorite classes are in the beginning of the day. It sucks because after those first 2 periods, the rest of the day is down hill.

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »
high school is a joke

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »
high school is a joke

I would pretty much have to agree with this.  Just sit back and watch the drama unfold...

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2009, 12:00:40 AM »
I don't do drama. I know how to avoid it very well and it has never posed a problem.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
Crap...it starts for me tomorrow...

:omg:

Shit.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
I don't do drama. I know how to avoid it very well and it has never posed a problem.
You can't avoid drama in high school haha. Everyone tries but it'll catch up to you eventually. :lol Just do your best to sit back and watch from a distance. :tup

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
Oh trust me, I avoid drama like the plague, and it has never been a problem.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »
Oh trust me, I avoid drama like the plague, and it has never been a problem.

You aren't even in high school yet, you have not even experienced TRUE drama.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »

I was hugely anti-social in high school and I still dealt with bits and pieces of drama. Maybe you dealt with it well in middle school, but realize you're going to have to up your game in high school.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »
We will see, but I am betting that any drama that even shows its ugly little head, will be shot down with such efficiency, that it will not even come close to me. No chicks, no fighting friends, what other drama is there?

Offline xterp

« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
Starting tomorrow? Have fun.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
 :\ Have fun...yeah...fuck. This was just such a great summer,  :sadpanda:

Offline predator13

« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2009, 08:57:15 PM »
We will see, but I am betting that any drama that even shows its ugly little head, will be shot down with such efficiency, that it will not even come close to me. No chicks, no fighting friends, what other drama is there?

Drama class.   :hat
You can make a fortune in pies; you can keep a giant alive.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
College=high school-bullshit (if you can manage to not put yourself in it)+awesome.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
College=high school-bullshit (if you can manage to not put yourself in it)+awesome.

Clearly this man is a math major.  Brilliant stuff  :metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2009, 04:11:52 AM »
School starts in 2 hours and I am the definition of nervous.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2009, 04:19:10 AM »
Best advice = Finish it.

FINISH IT!

FINISH IT!

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!