Author Topic: What is your job and do you like it?  (Read 8539 times)

Offline frogprog

Re: What is your job and do you like it?
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2017, 10:26:19 AM »
I seem to be a minority here. I work with my hands (and head!) As a finish carpenter/ site superintendent for a commercial construction company. With 32 years in, I still love my trade but it has taken a toll on my body. Been with a great group for the last 5 years and that makes all the difference in the world!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2017, 11:11:16 PM »
I'm a retailes sales consultant for AT&T. Fancy words for "in-store sales."

Do I like my job? Typically. My answer is different every day of the week. I live in a small town that I refer to as "The Florida of Oklahoma." It's a slightly upscale town with a sizable elderly population. With that being said, a lot of our walk-ins are crypt-keeper looking people who can't figure out how to access voicemail on their flip phone, forgot the Facebook password on the phone they shouldn't have, or have a gross misunderstanding of their bill (and of course it's our fault). The rest of the walk-ins are people who just have questions, want to upgrade their phone, or want new service.

It's my job to turn every interaction (all the way down to SIM swaps and bill payments) into a sales opportunity. Who do they have for TV, and for internet? Those are the biggest money-makers, and, as a result, our biggest goals.

I'm good at sales, but better at troubleshooting. I've been at my job long enough to know everything about everything, for the most part, so co-workers will come to me with their questions, and I like that.

Also, the money is really good.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2017, 06:19:18 PM »
I am a hospice social worker. I work with a team to give people as much quality of life as possible until they die, in a nutshell. I love it (you kinda have to), but it's more emotionally exhausting than most occupations.
Most of my patients are old, and old people rule.

If money was no object, I probably wouldn't do it full time. I don't think I'd stop working altogether but I might do something a little different in the same industry. Or I might open my own funeral home and become an advocate like Caitlin Doughty for changing that shitty industry.

I'm a film composer but I also compose for other media & artists as well. I also do a bit of video production on the side. I absolutely love my job and the fact that I make my own hours (which can be insane sometimes).

Ohh, that's cool! Any well known films?

Loved reading through this thread!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2017, 02:19:35 AM »
Awesome to hear you're still doing that, Jackie. I was wondering if you were still. Badass lady, to say the least.

It's funny reading my post that was just in March and it seems like well over a year ago, I actually had to check the date to make sure when I posted that. I'm at the same place but am just leading the bar and working event parties now and am slowly easing my way out. Fuck doing this as a career.  :lol Funny how a shift in management and corporate ideals (or lack thereof) can shift a work environment so drastically. That said I'll probably be in the industry itself for a while longer, till I'm off probation at least. Got an offer to work at a Mariott so...eh!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
I'm a CNC Machinist. I make prototypes in the injection molding industry. Although I could be earning a lot more money with another employer doing the same thing, I really enjoy what I do. I get to work with my hands and my mind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2017, 08:21:54 AM »
I'm a CNC Machinist. I make prototypes in the injection molding industry. Although I could be earning a lot more money with another employer doing the same thing, I really enjoy what I do. I get to work with my hands and my mind.

I've spent my career working with and purchasing custom products from machinists. Much respect!  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
I work in the family business (auto body repair) but unfortunately I can't think of a more boring subject than cars. Although I 'work' out in the shop regularly, most of my time is in the office dealing with paperwork, customers, phones, computer/technology issues and a whole bunch of other stuff, I'm all over the place. Some days there's a whole lot of downtime on my end... I enjoy working in a small business.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"