Author Topic: New Ohio abortion law  (Read 456 times)

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
New Ohio abortion law
« on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12/14/bill-banning-down-syndrome-abortions-passes-in-ohio-heads-to-kasichs-desk.html

This doesn't sit well with me. Obviously that's in part because I'm fairly pro-choice, but there are bigger issues. I get that states have the right to pass reasonable restrictions on abortion access. If we're to stress the "reasonable" in there I'm pretty cool with that. In practice restrictions are usually 100% political, but I'm not opposed to restrictions in theory. However this isn't the problem in Ohio. They're taking something that is legal and restricting it based strictly on the reason it's occurring. And it's what seems to me a pretty valid reason. What gives the state the right to determine what is or is not a valid reason to do a legal thing? More importantly, why would we want to do such a dipshit thing as giving it that authority?

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
Re: New Ohio abortion law
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »
Love the picture. It's like the photog said "HEY HARRY!" to the guy in front right before taking the picture.

I agree with your assessment. "This action is fully legal, except in this case when we don't feel it should be, so it isn't." I have to think on this particular issue more for the personal aspect, as my wife teaches kids with special needs, and she has a couple Downs kids in her class this year. And we just had our second baby, and discussed genetic testing and such. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 01:29:15 AM »
I expect Kasich to sign the bill. I was honestly surprised when he didn't sign the other one. He usually has always come off as a moderate to those of us in Ohio, but this is right in his wheelhouse.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
Just seen in my news feed that Kasich signed the bill into law. I expect the ACLU to be all over this like stink on shit.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again