Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248180 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3780 on: April 24, 2023, 02:32:26 PM »
I doubt very, very seriously it has anything to do with the Twelve Spies.  That is grasping at straws.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3781 on: April 24, 2023, 09:13:29 PM »
I have no idea where to put this video. Star Wars thread? Things That Made Me Happy thread? Awesome Videos thread? This could be the greatest thing I've ever seen, certainly the most nostalgic, mashing up my two favorite franchises from my youth.

https://youtu.be/sWR0_0YaEzI
I absolutely LOVE that, but I'm curious, how in the world did this 13 year old video come to your attention?

Oh, the mysteries of YouTube. I have not searched videos related to either topic within recent memory. Sometimes, you just strike gold in your feed.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3782 on: April 24, 2023, 11:07:34 PM »
Just want to encourage anyone who hasn’t watched ‘Rebels’ to do themselves a favor and watch it. I’m enjoying the heck out of this rewatch I’m doing. Just finished S3…..onto S4. Such a good series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3783 on: April 25, 2023, 12:45:52 PM »
I doubt very, very seriously it has anything to do with the Twelve Spies.  That is grasping at straws.

Apparently, there's a whole lot of Jewish parallels in the Mandalorian.  See here for one such discussion.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3784 on: April 25, 2023, 01:45:55 PM »

Apparently, there's a whole lot of Jewish parallels in the Mandalorian.  See here for one such discussion.
That's a little bit of hooey.  People see what they want to see.

I don't see any way, for instance, that the mythosaur (revered by the Mandalorians) is a stand-in for Leviathan (a primeval enemy of God).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3785 on: April 25, 2023, 01:54:45 PM »

Haven't read, but I think Jon Favreua is jewish as well (if that means anything).

Since the whole "spies" thing has been left open, I think different ideas for the meaning seem reasonable for discussion until there's an explanation.  Not sure I believe it myself, I'm leaning more towards a poorly written season.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3786 on: April 25, 2023, 09:58:28 PM »
Steve Vai was also Budnick’s favorite guitarist on Salute Your Shorts.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3787 on: May 05, 2023, 07:49:34 PM »
So excited.  Maybe this is common knowledge amongst most Star Wars fan but I just found out about this today after spending the last couple decades bitching about all the changes Lucas made to the OT movies...

Apparently in the mid 2000's there was a DVD release of the OT ("special edition") which had the original theatrical versions as a "bonus feature" on disc 2.  I just bought all 3 on ebay.  I can't wait to watch.  Makes me sick to my stomach that I've seen the "special" versions so many times over the years but now that era comes to an end.  I've always thought that the only digital versions available were laserdisc.

Anybody else have these versions?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: May 05, 2023, 09:34:50 PM »
I remember when these were released. I was a bit maxed out on SW content at the time so never bothered to buy them. I seem to recall that SW purists found something technical to dislike about these releases but I can't remember what it was.

I haven't watched Eps 4-6 in so long. I have been talking to my kid about watching them together. She watched Ep4 in class but she said she wanted to watch it again without the distractions. It didn't occur to me at the time which version we'd watch. I don't own any so figured we'd default to whatever is on Disney+.

For as much as SW meant to me as a child (and young adult) the Special Editions don't bother me at this stage in my life. I just accept them for what they are. I will say, as I have said elsewhere, that the SEs were released at a horrible period in my life. Being born in 1977 my only memories of watching them were on the TV. Finding out I'd be able to see them on the big screen meant mountains to me. It was as much as I had to look forward to as anything. The VHS tapes were the first and maybe still the only time I ever pre-ordered anything in my life.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3789 on: May 05, 2023, 09:35:31 PM »
I don't have those versions but you have to temper your expectations on those. Yes they are the theatrical releases but they are very rough looking from what I read, they are sourced from the laserdisc and low resolution.

I personally watch the de-specialized editions which are fan cleaned up versions of the original trilogy and is the closest to what you'll get to the theatrical release. I actually don't find the changes awful, they're just very distracting.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3790 on: May 05, 2023, 09:38:57 PM »
I actually don't find the changes awful, they're just very distracting.

That is a good way to put it. Most changes that people dislike call attention to themselves. The best ones are subtle enough you might not even notice if you aren't paying attention and have a photographic memory of the originals.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3791 on: May 05, 2023, 09:46:31 PM »
Agreed, I think the changes and upgrades done in the 1982 Blade Runner is the best example of how to keep it subtle and not take anything away from the original, they added CGI, effects, new edits and sounds to make the original look a lot less rough. They cleaned up many of the shaky pans and zooms, made some of the sound clearer, made some of the old visual effects look sharper, etc.. None of it was distracting. When I watched the behind the scenes documentary I was amazed at how much new work actually went into the movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3792 on: May 06, 2023, 10:01:12 AM »
Was able to watch the first Episode of S2 of Visions. Pretty neat....liked it a lot. Gonna try to run through these later tonight.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3793 on: May 06, 2023, 01:51:41 PM »
I don’t know if my parents still have the old VHS recordings (off TV) we had of the originals. I’m sure they would be barely watchable even I had the equipment to play them. Does make me a little sad that you can’t really ever see those versions anymore.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3794 on: May 08, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Was able to watch the first Episode of S2 of Visions. Pretty neat....liked it a lot. Gonna try to run through these later tonight.
I watched that episode as well.  Pretty cool.  I loved that animation style.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3795 on: May 08, 2023, 11:37:01 AM »
I watched that episode as well.  Pretty cool.  I loved that animation style.

That’s one of the draws for Visions…..some alternative animation styles that are pretty cool. I’ve gotten through a couple more. Neat stuff.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3796 on: May 08, 2023, 11:38:44 AM »
I may skip around, because I know that some of the styles won't be to my liking.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3797 on: May 16, 2023, 10:19:57 PM »
Finished my rewatch of REBELS. I’ve said it a hundred times but I’ll say it again…..such a good show. I implore any of you who have not watched it to do so. Especially if you plan to watch the live action Ashoka series. I know they say you won’t need to have watched Rebels to understand/enjoy Ashoka but I guarantee the show will be better if you do.

Especially having that backstory of Sabine and Hera…..Chopper to bolster their presence in live action…plus, it’s good SW’s content.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3798 on: May 17, 2023, 11:36:14 AM »
Finished my rewatch of REBELS. I’ve said it a hundred times but I’ll say it again…..such a good show. I implore any of you who have not watched it to do so. Especially if you plan to watch the live action Ashoka series. I know they say you won’t need to have watched Rebels to understand/enjoy Ashoka but I guarantee the show will be better if you do.

Especially having that backstory of Sabine and Hera…..Chopper to bolster their presence in live action…plus, it’s good SW’s content.

I'm watching Rebels for the first time and am about halfway through the third season.  I've really enjoyed it, and almost every episode has some  tense action. 

I started watching Clone Wars, but I was bored senseless during the first season.  I think it's because I know what happens via Episodes II and III, so there's no stakes.  It's one failed battle against Grevious following another.  Plus there's just too much there to watch if I were to tackle the entire series.  I'm content with finishing Rebels in the next few weeks. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3799 on: May 18, 2023, 10:07:35 PM »
Clone Wars is a chore but totally worth it. Especially the later seasons. They give actual backstory and develop Anakin and Obi Wan so well. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..Clone Wars Anakin IS Anakin…….Hayden Christiansen’s prequel portrayal should just be overlooked and filed away as ‘nice try’.

He has stated that he watched the entire series a few times prior to filming ‘Kenobi’ and based his performance in his return off of TCW’s Anakin. And it was noticeable.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3801 on: May 22, 2023, 01:46:46 PM »
Saw that, what a major bummer. He was great in so many movies.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3802 on: June 01, 2023, 05:47:52 AM »
Late to the party, but now that I have DisneyPlus, I got to watch the mini series about Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Well, it was good, but it was kinda pointless. It was great to see Ewan McGregor reprising the role, and also Hayden Christensen finally got a chance to play Vader again - their fight scene with the half broken helmet was so badass and memorable.

Having said that, it kinda cheapens (even more) what those two characters did in A New Hope. That was supposed to be their first meeting since falling apart, but the original trilogy messed it up. "When I left you I was but the apprentice, now I'm the master". Well, dude... HE left YOU. For dead. To burn away near a river of lava with your limbs chopped off. And now we know they met again a decade later, and Obi Wan kicked his ass once again? and twice in a row he couldn't muster up the courage to kill him and finish him for good?

I can pass over Obi-Wan meeting young Luke, it's not that a kid can remember 10 years later of a random geezer that once showed up at his house for 5 minutes, but all these Obi-Wan / Vader interaction expose the absence of a long plan for A New Hope even more.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3803 on: June 01, 2023, 07:12:23 AM »
I tend to agree with your assessment it was fun, but unnecessary. I wish that something had prevented Obi-Wan from killing Vader rather than him just walking away again. And Vader should have unceremoniously killed Reva at that one part instead of leaving her for dead. But it was a fun series and it was great to see Ewan and Hayden together again.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3804 on: June 01, 2023, 08:34:58 AM »
And Vader should have unceremoniously killed Reva at that one part instead of leaving her for dead.

He did....violently. And, he had a much more violent and disturbing murdering walk through the town also BUT then Kathleen Kennedy and the Disney brass made them reshoot it to be less gritty and violent. The whole Reeva character shouldn't even have been a thing anyway. Besides the fact he shoved a light saber through her so that was a death blow. But for some reason that doesn't kill people anymore? Reeva was a poorly written and pointless character......there was an already established hierarchy of inquisitors that could and should have been more heavily featured. We had this argument/debate some time ago....but....and I'm not trying to be a jerk or bigot or anything.....Reeva was there simply to feature a black woman. It's another example of Disney checking a box rather than telling a good story.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3805 on: June 01, 2023, 11:52:13 AM »
And Vader should have unceremoniously killed Reva at that one part instead of leaving her for dead.

He did....violently. And, he had a much more violent and disturbing murdering walk through the town also BUT then Kathleen Kennedy and the Disney brass made them reshoot it to be less gritty and violent. The whole Reeva character shouldn't even have been a thing anyway. Besides the fact he shoved a light saber through her so that was a death blow. But for some reason that doesn't kill people anymore? Reeva was a poorly written and pointless character......there was an already established hierarchy of inquisitors that could and should have been more heavily featured. We had this argument/debate some time ago....but....and I'm not trying to be a jerk or bigot or anything.....Reeva was there simply to feature a black woman. It's another example of Disney checking a box rather than telling a good story.
Yes, we discussed it a while back, but what the hell...

I thought the idea of her character was OK. Her trying to get close to Vader to kill him while he was aware the whole time what was going on. Could have been interesting if executed better. Vader actually killing her, even in a less brutal way, would have been way more satisfying than what we got. I'm not going to guess at Lucasfilm's intentions about race or gender. They tried to introduce a new character with a potentially interesting backstory and they blew it. Kathleen Kennedy needs to go at this point. They need to let the filmmakers make the films they want and stop meddling.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3806 on: June 01, 2023, 01:17:42 PM »

Yes, we discussed it a while back, but what the hell...

I thought the idea of her character was OK. Her trying to get close to Vader to kill him while he was aware the whole time what was going on. Could have been interesting if executed better. Vader actually killing her, even in a less brutal way, would have been way more satisfying than what we got. I'm not going to guess at Lucasfilm's intentions about race or gender. They tried to introduce a new character with a potentially interesting backstory and they blew it. Kathleen Kennedy needs to go at this point. They need to let the filmmakers make the films they want and stop meddling.

I agree about the 'intent' behind her character....but I just don't think she was needed, especially given how badly they wrote and presented her. Even as an inquisitor she was pretty weak as far as skill and force use. The race/gender conversation could be had for some time and go back and forth....I just base it off of what I've seen from Disney over the last handful of years. There's a definite push for female and non white actors/actresses in these stories. I'm not saying that's a bad thing per say....I'm just saying that in my eyes they've sacrificed storytelling at times for that agenda. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3807 on: June 03, 2023, 02:25:53 PM »
Then you think about it and realize, while she was secretly on a mission to kill Vader, she was also killing Jedi.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3808 on: June 05, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »
Finally getting around to watching Andor . . . been hearing great things so here we go. Through 2 episodes so far, hoping it picks up.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3809 on: June 05, 2023, 12:55:38 PM »
It does, a lot.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3810 on: June 07, 2023, 08:16:22 AM »
I agree about the 'intent' behind her character....but I just don't think she was needed, especially given how badly they wrote and presented her. Even as an inquisitor she was pretty weak as far as skill and force use. The race/gender conversation could be had for some time and go back and forth....I just base it off of what I've seen from Disney over the last handful of years. There's a definite push for female and non white actors/actresses in these stories. I'm not saying that's a bad thing per say....I'm just saying that in my eyes they've sacrificed storytelling at times for that agenda. 

I don't think the inclusivity push is the reason for the bad storytelling, its more a function of these star wars stories being driven by the need to tie into the greater "cinematic universe" narrative and that Disney is, in general,  risk adverse when it comes to the stories it pushes, and being far more willing to be guided by "the market" than by a singular creative vision like George was.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3811 on: June 15, 2023, 11:51:26 AM »
Clone Wars aficionados, does anyone have a good list of the must see episodes? My son and I are watching through all thing Star Wars, but don't feel the need to watch the entire Clone Wars series since it would probably take us years. I've found several lists online, but they vary a lot which makes me think the essential episodes are pretty subjective.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3812 on: June 15, 2023, 03:03:49 PM »
Clone Wars aficionados, does anyone have a good list of the must see episodes? My son and I are watching through all thing Star Wars, but don't feel the need to watch the entire Clone Wars series since it would probably take us years. I've found several lists online, but they vary a lot which makes me think the essential episodes are pretty subjective.

Hmmm……there is a good chunk I’d consider watching but you’re right…….the online suggestions can become cumbersome.

I will say that the final four episodes are some of if not the best SW’s content out there. The animation is unreal, the soundtrack…..it’s incredible. But it’s the culmination of the entire series so I don’t know that the payoff would be as good if you were to just watch those.

There’s just so much that happens with the return of Maul, the entire Mandalorian storyline, Ahsoka’s journey….not to mention how well they flush out and give substance to Anakin and Kenobi throughout the whole series…….I can try to take a peek at some lists and maybe edit them down a bit for ya.

I highly recommend Rebels as well. It’s a much simpler watch and it’s pretty balls to the wall from the start.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3813 on: June 16, 2023, 05:59:17 AM »

Hmmm……there is a good chunk I’d consider watching but you’re right…….the online suggestions can become cumbersome.

I will say that the final four episodes are some of if not the best SW’s content out there. The animation is unreal, the soundtrack…..it’s incredible. But it’s the culmination of the entire series so I don’t know that the payoff would be as good if you were to just watch those.

There’s just so much that happens with the return of Maul, the entire Mandalorian storyline, Ahsoka’s journey….not to mention how well they flush out and give substance to Anakin and Kenobi throughout the whole series…….I can try to take a peek at some lists and maybe edit them down a bit for ya.

I highly recommend Rebels as well. It’s a much simpler watch and it’s pretty balls to the wall from the start.
Agreed on the last 4 episodes of the series. Should have clarified that I've watched the whole series with limited attention. I'm mostly wanting to prepare him for The Mandalorian and Ahsoka shows. We'll definitely just watch all of Rebels since it's a much shorter show.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3814 on: June 16, 2023, 08:48:15 AM »
I'm mostly wanting to prepare him for The Mandalorian and Ahsoka shows. We'll definitely just watch all of Rebels since it's a much shorter show.

Rebels is the way to go then. I recently did a rewatch and was mad at myself for waiting so long to have done that.