Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248276 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3745 on: April 20, 2023, 09:10:41 AM »
Apparently Din is the family name, and his name is Grogu. So Din Grogu is his name after he's adopted. I don't see any issue with that.

I sincerely hope Gideon is dead. I was disappointed he wasn't conclusively shown as dying. Thrawn is the new big baddie. No need for Gideon to come back.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3746 on: April 20, 2023, 09:29:10 AM »
Apparently Din is the family name, and his name is Grogu. So Din Grogu is his name after he's adopted. I don't see any issue with that.

I find both names to just be too childish and then when they added them (yes, it makes sense) it just made it sound even more dumb to my ears.  It made me laugh so hard.  There's moments in the show of awesome creativity, and moments where I'm just like "who thought of this?!"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3747 on: April 20, 2023, 09:32:56 AM »

I find both names to just be too childish and then when they added them (yes, it makes sense) it just made it sound even more dumb to my ears.  It made me laugh so hard.  There's moments in the show of awesome creativity, and moments where I'm just like "who thought of this?!"
Definitely agree with the bolded. But let's be honest, this has been the case since the very beginning on Star Wars.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3748 on: April 20, 2023, 09:39:42 AM »

Definitely agree with the bolded. But let's be honest, this has been the case since the very beginning on Star Wars.

Yes, it's not new but for some reason, this season really bothered me.  It could be from all the star wars content lately so it's just building up. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3749 on: April 20, 2023, 09:44:26 AM »
Bo-Katan reuniting the Mandalorian tribes somehow seems like it should have been a bigger deal than what we saw.  But apparently that's done, so... cool.

Moff Gideon finally dying and the Mandalorians taking back their home planet... ditto.  It's done, cool, but almost seemed too by-the-book the way it played out.  They had to fight, they did, and won.  And it was fun, so... cool.

I think Din Grogu is fine.  We didn't know Din Djarin's name for a long time; he was just The Mandalorian.  Nor did we know Grogu's name for a long time; he was just The Child*.  After enough time to acclimate to those names, combining them seemed logical and doesn't bother me.

*The Child.  Never "Baby Yoda".  NEVER!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3750 on: April 20, 2023, 10:27:19 AM »
I can't wait for him to get his own little Mandalorian armor. :D

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3751 on: April 20, 2023, 11:35:45 AM »
For the season, I enjoyed Bo Katan's arc. She's been such a great character in the animated shows and has translated perfectly to live action. I'd have preferred them to have cut the fat on the filler crap this season and just fill it with more of her and her story. There was just too much filler and useless scenes in this season and it's easily the weakest of the three.

They need to 'get past' Din Grogu being a 'child' in order to be able to integrate him into the story more. He's become Eleven from Stranger Things sitting there with his hand outstretched where his force 'move' is his only move and it's just old and played out. Give the character some vocabulary and mobility. Another season of the wallflower act will be extremely disappointing.

Couple side notes:

- They can repair the broken Dark Saber. I thought it was odd that a saber that has been around for multiple hundreds of years was destroyed like that. I'm sure it's seen it's fair share of abuse and battle. I get they were trying to show the power of that augmented Moff Gideon suit but it was still a bit much for me. By that time the point was made with all the sound effects and abuse the sute was taking that it was 'next level' and powerful. Anyway....we've seen sabers destroyed before and rebuilt so I'd imagine that it'd be no different for the Dark Saber.

- Still no answer or further explanation on what the hell that large creature was that randomly burst through the surface two episodes ago? Seemed odd just to throw that in there then.....nothing?

- One of the nice things about the way they wrapped it up is that if there is a S4 it looks like they could get to a 'show of the week' style format if Din Jarin is just going to be this top tier bounty hunter. I'm sure they'd have an over arching storyline for the season but they've wrapped up all the storylines that were going at this point. Although not having a Moff Gideon death 100% confirmed (no body or didn't really see it) I 'guess' he could still be out there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3752 on: April 20, 2023, 11:49:37 AM »
I think Din Grogu is fine.  We didn't know Din Djarin's name for a long time; he was just The Mandalorian.  Nor did we know Grogu's name for a long time; he was just The Child*.  After enough time to acclimate to those names, combining them seemed logical and doesn't bother me.

I still called Din, Mando, and I still call Grogu, Baby Yoda.  I think that's part of the problem for me.

- One of the nice things about the way they wrapped it up is that if there is a S4 it looks like they could get to a 'show of the week' style format if Din Jarin is just going to be this top tier bounty hunter. I'm sure they'd have an over arching storyline for the season but they've wrapped up all the storylines that were going at this point. Although not having a Moff Gideon death 100% confirmed (no body or didn't really see it) I 'guess' he could still be out there.

I've seen a theory about Moff saying he didn't have the mustache in his return (or on the clone we saw) so that may have been a clone of him the entire time.  Who knows.  I think they've left a couple ways for Moff to return. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3753 on: April 20, 2023, 01:36:26 PM »

I still called Din, Mando, and I still call Grogu, Baby Yoda.  I think that's part of the problem for me.

I noticed that Karga still calls him Mando, but he's known him a long time and always called him that.  I think Peli Motto also calls him Mando, probably others as well.  He doesn't give his name out very freely, so people just call him Mando because he's a Mandalorian.  I get that.

But "Baby Yoda" makes me want to throw things.  Yes, he's obviously a youngling of the same unnamed species as Yoda, so I get how people came up with it, but he's not the same person.  He's not "Baby" anyone.  He was introduced as The Child so I referred to him as The Child until we found out his name.  Then he was still The Child for a while because Grogu is a weird name, but eventually he became Grogu to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3754 on: April 20, 2023, 01:45:17 PM »
Yeah, but no one also calls him Grogu (in real life, that is from my experience, I know the show calls him that since his name has been revealed).  I always thought Grogu was a dumb name and just kind of assumed that was why people didn't migrate to calling him by his name.  Baby Yoda had basically caught on and it made sense at the time with no real name to call him.  It obviously doesn't make sense to continue calling him that, but I can't help myself.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3755 on: April 20, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »
I call him Grogu

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3756 on: April 20, 2023, 02:27:49 PM »
I call him Grogu

I, too, call him Grogu. Calling him "Baby Y*da" is like calling that kid at the end of The Last Jedi "Baby Luke". Just because he's a younger version of a similar species. Of course, if Grogu was female, would we be calling her "Baby Yaddle"? Would the average SW fan even KNOW who Yaddle is?

Grogu is a fine enough name. I think it's been long enough now that folks should be used to it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3757 on: April 21, 2023, 03:44:25 AM »
Should have got all the Mando factions to Mand'alor a few episodes earlier, although I enjoy these final two episodes everything felt rather rushed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3758 on: April 21, 2023, 07:57:35 AM »
Yeah, that's really what kept it from being more meaningful; everything felt rushed.  Reuniting the clans was a big thing, but it happened quickly and we moved on.  Relighting the great forge should have been a big thing, but it happened and we moved on.  The Darksaber being destroyed should have been a big thing, but it happened and we moved on... You get the idea.  There were some things that the story's been building towards this whole season, and taking a moment to let it sink in and appreciate the moment seems like it would've helped.  But instead, everything felt a bit rushed.  And the episode itself wasn't overlong; the previous episode was 12 minutes longer.  At 39 minutes, this was one of the shorter episodes this season.  They could've let this one breathe a little bit more.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3759 on: April 21, 2023, 08:43:19 AM »
Should have got all the Mando factions to Mand'alor a few episodes earlier, although I enjoy these final two episodes everything felt rather rushed.

Yeah, that's really what kept it from being more meaningful; everything felt rushed.  Reuniting the clans was a big thing, but it happened quickly and we moved on.  Relighting the great forge should have been a big thing, but it happened and we moved on.  The Darksaber being destroyed should have been a big thing, but it happened and we moved on... You get the idea.  There were some things that the story's been building towards this whole season, and taking a moment to let it sink in and appreciate the moment seems like it would've helped.  But instead, everything felt a bit rushed.  And the episode itself wasn't overlong; the previous episode was 12 minutes longer.  At 39 minutes, this was one of the shorter episodes this season.  They could've let this one breathe a little bit more.

And this is what's frustrating about having 95% of an episode dedicated to useless and horribly acted hollywood cameo's and a rudimentary detective story....or an entire episode focused on Dr. Pershing that meant absolutely nothing. Like, nothing. Everything in that episode could have been covered in a two minute dialogue sequence. The best shows out there 'trim the fat' and make every scene count. This season of this show contained WAY too much crap that meant nothing.

Those two 'beast' battles...one by water...one by air....on the Mandolorian hideout planet were useless. Just an action spectacle of which the time could have been better spent on strengthening other storylines or adding detail to them. Plus, they were pretty lame sequences anyway that did nothing but show how inept those soldiers were. Anyway....the point is this season wasted a ton of screentime on stuff that simply was a waste of time and meant nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3760 on: April 21, 2023, 09:01:03 AM »
I call bullshit on the Darksaber being destroyed like that.

Otherwise, mostly enjoyable finale.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3761 on: April 21, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »
I call bullshit on the Darksaber being destroyed like that

That's what I was saying in an earlier post. That thing has seen Centuries of battles....against stronger opponents that Gideon and his strong suite of armor. I 'get' that they were trying to show how much more strong he was in the suite but destroying the Dark Saber seemed like it was going over the top.

Certainly it's repairable and luckily Bo Katan knows a couple of the remaining Jedi who 'could' repair it. And, the droid in the Ahsoka trailer is Professor Huyang.....who, helps all the Jedi younglings craft and build their first Light Sabers so...maybe there's a tie in there?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3762 on: April 21, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »
Repairable or not, he shouldn't have been able to break it.

The screenwriters have been watching too many Marvel films.  Gideon isn't Iron Man.  The armor doesn't convey any extra powers, or at least it wasn't stated that it did.  It's made of beskar, so it's really tough and durable.  That's it.  And there's no way he was physically strong enough himself to crush that saber handle.  Nope.  Bullshit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3763 on: April 21, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »

The screenwriters have been watching too many Marvel films.  Gideon isn't Iron Man.  The armor doesn't convey any extra powers, or at least it wasn't stated that it did.  It's made of beskar, so it's really tough and durable.  That's it.  And there's no way he was physically strong enough himself to crush that saber handle.  Nope.  Bullshit.

Maybe the Moff we saw was a clone with more strength.  I do agree though, it shouldn't of broke so easily

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3764 on: April 21, 2023, 09:37:06 AM »

Didn't you hear the robot motor sounds as he was moving? The suit clearly was intended to provide extra strength.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3765 on: April 21, 2023, 09:47:52 AM »

Didn't you hear the robot motor sounds as he was moving? The suit clearly was intended to provide extra strength.
I heard the darksaber breaking.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3766 on: April 21, 2023, 10:09:26 AM »

Maybe the Moff we saw was a clone with more strength.  I do agree though, it shouldn't of broke so easily

This is a pretty popular theory making the rounds right now. There were notable physical differences with Iron Man Gideon than the one we were introduced to. No mustache....his skin tone was 'lighter'.....the speculation is that the Gideon we saw this season was always a clone.

Didn't you hear the robot motor sounds as he was moving? The suit clearly was intended to provide extra strength.[/quote]

This is how I took it as well. They made a pretty good effort to exaggerate the sound of every one of his movements. Now, I don't know how that translates to grip strength....I'll have to watch again to see if he had gloves on that could have been part of the suit. Either way....I'm with Hef in saying it's shenanigans that the Dark Saber was destroyed so easily or at all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3767 on: April 21, 2023, 10:40:16 AM »

I heard the darksaber breaking.

In several scenes prior to that, when we the viewers were close enough to Gideon, you could hear servo motors and hydraulics when he moved.  It wasn't just armor; it was a mech suit.  That's what people are referring to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3768 on: April 21, 2023, 11:18:35 AM »
I don't like it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3769 on: April 21, 2023, 06:52:23 PM »
I have no idea where to put this video. Star Wars thread? Things That Made Me Happy thread? Awesome Videos thread? This could be the greatest thing I've ever seen, certainly the most nostalgic, mashing up my two favorite franchises from my youth.

https://youtu.be/sWR0_0YaEzI
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline HOF

« Reply #3770 on: April 21, 2023, 08:24:43 PM »
Finale had good entertainment value, but seemed like the show ended abruptly without addressing many of the open story lines from prior episodes. I guess it might be setting up other serieses, but that seems an odd use of a limited amount of season time. Like, why did they have Kim’s Convenience guy discover the wrecked shuttle where they sprung Moth Man and the whole traces of bexar if he wasn’t going to do anything about it?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3771 on: April 22, 2023, 06:06:50 AM »
And this is what's frustrating about having 95% of an episode dedicated to useless and horribly acted hollywood cameo's and a rudimentary detective story....or an entire episode focused on Dr. Pershing that meant absolutely nothing. Like, nothing. Everything in that episode could have been covered in a two minute dialogue sequence. The best shows out there 'trim the fat' and make every scene count. This season of this show contained WAY too much crap that meant nothing.

Those two 'beast' battles...one by water...one by air....on the Mandolorian hideout planet were useless. Just an action spectacle of which the time could have been better spent on strengthening other storylines or adding detail to them. Plus, they were pretty lame sequences anyway that did nothing but show how inept those soldiers were. Anyway....the point is this season wasted a ton of screentime on stuff that simply was a waste of time and meant nothing.

This is my beef with the season as a whole.  1/2 of it was pretty good; the other 1/2 was absolutely useless and meaningless.

I was partly expecting the Mythosaur to give us a wink as the final scene.  Why introduce that, and do abso-fucking-lutely nothing with it?

I have no idea where to put this video. Star Wars thread? Things That Made Me Happy thread? Awesome Videos thread? This could be the greatest thing I've ever seen, certainly the most nostalgic, mashing up my two favorite franchises from my youth.

Flawless victory.  :clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3772 on: April 22, 2023, 07:36:11 AM »

Better than I expected!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3773 on: April 22, 2023, 07:44:38 AM »
My homemade beskar's forge

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3774 on: April 23, 2023, 07:52:12 AM »
I've been thinking about the decision to reunite Mando and Grogu in Boba Fett, and the more I think about it, the more I think it was a horrible decision. If the rumors are correct that Kathleen Kennedy made this demand, this shows terrible leadership putting a cute marketable character over making a better story. I know there have been calls for her firing for a long time.

Here's my main thought: it would have been easy to have some flashes to Luke and Grogu training every couple episodes. Mando's visit to see Grogu and give him the mail shirt could have taken place mid-season. I've envisioned them reuniting in episode 7 before going to Mandalore. When Gideon is threatening Grogu in episode 8 having Din say something like "Leave my son alone" or something like that. How much more impactful would his adoption of Grogu had been if he simply called him his son instead of asking to adopt him like he did.

Grogus powers could also have increased greatly with longer training with Luke (they should have made it clear he was there for many months or years). I think Grogu should have played a bigger role in defeating the red guards, who showed themselves to be pretty badass an episode earlier, but were defeated too easily by Din. I think it would have been great to see Grogu use the force to kick ass and save Din when he'd had his helmet removed by the red guys and they were about to kill him. Having Grogu speak "no" and them flinging them all back against the wall or something would have been great. Grogu needs to start doing something more than just looking cute and doing minor force powers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3775 on: April 24, 2023, 08:14:40 AM »
Finale had good entertainment value, but seemed like the show ended abruptly without addressing many of the open story lines from prior episodes. I guess it might be setting up other serieses, but that seems an odd use of a limited amount of season time. Like, why did they have Kim’s Convenience guy discover the wrecked shuttle where they sprung Moth Man and the whole traces of bexar if he wasn’t going to do anything about it?

I am hoping, in the end, this was a lot of set up for the next season.  But that last scene makes me feel like the show may make a bit of a plot change? There's also rumors going around now that the next season is based on a scrapped Star Wars show?  My issue if that's true, is that the writing has already taken a hit and scrambling to combine a different show into Mando to make use of the script kind of sounds like it'll only make the writing worse. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3776 on: April 24, 2023, 08:37:27 AM »
If the rumors are correct that Kathleen Kennedy made this demand, this shows terrible leadership putting a cute marketable character over making a better story. I know there have been calls for her firing for a long time.

I personally believe them and my reasoning is because they are persistent...across the board with all SW's projects. She F'd up the sequel series and has tried her best to F up the Mandalorian. It makes you wonder as to how she's retained her position with such a rich history of not knowing what the Fu%k she's doing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3777 on: April 24, 2023, 10:11:25 AM »

I absolutely LOVE that, but I'm curious, how in the world did this 13 year old video come to your attention?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3778 on: April 24, 2023, 02:08:13 PM »
Never did figure out who "The Spies" (the title of the previous episode) were, and kept expecting some kind of shocking twist, but no, just a bunch of blasting and fighting and ships blowing up and stuff.  Good Star Wars fun.  Main stories all wrapped up, but plenty of options if they want to continue.  No complaints.

Seen on another website:
“The Spies,” may have been a reference to the story of the The Twelve Spies, in which a group of Israelites explore the desert to find a new home after leaving Egypt—you know, like the Mandalorians were doing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3779 on: April 24, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »
Or "the spies" were the woman on Coruscant that was spying for Gideon. And R5 who was spying for the New Republic guy.