Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 252696 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3535 on: March 15, 2023, 09:44:49 PM »
And, I’m going to be pissed if they hide Katie Sackoffs pretty face the rest of the season  >:(

This Is The Way.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3536 on: March 16, 2023, 03:09:03 AM »
Went to watch it but something was wrong with my Disney+.  About 10 minutes into the episode it started playing something else entirely.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 03:21:25 AM by soupytwist »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3537 on: March 16, 2023, 04:27:36 AM »
Went to watch it but something was wrong with my Disney+.  About 10 minutes into the episode it started playing something else entirely.
Har har.

I loved the Dr Pershing stuff.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3538 on: March 16, 2023, 04:44:59 AM »
And, I’m going to be pissed if they hide Katie Sackoffs pretty face the rest of the season  >:(

This Is The Way.

-Marc.

This is the way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3539 on: March 16, 2023, 07:03:24 AM »
I thought the Dr. Pershing stuff was somewhat interesting.  A little world-building, a la Andor.  I didn't trust Kane at all, and of course it turns out that they betrayed him.  But why?  And how will it tie back into the main story?

I'm glad Din is back with the covert for now.  Paz Vizsla is still a dick.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3540 on: March 16, 2023, 07:17:07 AM »
I thought the Dr. Pershing stuff was somewhat interesting.  A little world-building, a la Andor.  I didn't trust Kane at all, and of course it turns out that they betrayed him.  But why?  And how will it tie back into the main story?

I'm glad Din is back with the covert for now. Paz Vizsla is still a dick.

Even though he's wearing his helmet, you could feel the daggers from his eyes towards Bo. I'm not at all privy to the greater history of the Mandalorian clans and houses, but I feel like there's some tension between House Vizsla and House Kryze.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3541 on: March 16, 2023, 07:47:43 AM »

I'm glad Din is back with the covert for now. Paz Vizsla is still a dick.

Even though he's wearing his helmet, you could feel the daggers from his eyes towards Bo. I'm not at all privy to the greater history of the Mandalorian clans and houses, but I feel like there's some tension between House Vizsla and House Kryze.

-Marc.
There is, but they've also been allies. Pre Vizsla was leader of the Death Watch which Bo-Katan was part of - they were basically a terrorist group that disagreed with Mandalore's pacifist government (led by Bo-Katan's sister). They went... rather off the rails, let's say, Pre Vizsla worked with Darth Maul to overthrow the Mandalorian government, tried to betray him and ended up getting killed. Bo-Katan left the group and did her own thing instead, and eventually (after the Empire came and took over) Clan Vizsla was one of those that rallied behind her.

I don't think the show has said anything about Paz Vizsla's background. Not sure if the history of the clans is particularly pertinent, or if his disdain for Bo-Katan is driven more by 1. him being part of the orthodox sect and her having no interest in that, and/or 2. her allying with Din who defeated him when he tried to challenge for the darksaber.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3542 on: March 16, 2023, 10:06:15 AM »
During the Boba Fett episodes (Mandolorian Season 2.5), The Armorer was telling Din some of the history of the Dark Sabre and Clan Vizsla.  I don't remember it because it was confusing, but I figured a fuller backstory was in one of the animated shows if I wanted to dig into it more.  But Vizsla's connection to the Dark Sabre and Clan Kryze has been mentioned.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3543 on: March 17, 2023, 07:12:44 AM »
I liked that episode. The Dr. Pershing stuff was good, though I have no idea where it's going. Well... I think it's setting up Snoke, who if I had to guess, the entire Mandoverse wraps up with a Snoke cameo setting up the sequel series. But I don't see where Pershing goes from here. Clearly he has a role to play or they would have just killed him off way earlier.

Does Bo embrace the old ways? Does she end up leading Mandalore again? Obviously she'd need to get the darksaber from Din first. Speaking of which, wasn't the dark saber hers after she picked it up from robot spider guy? Spider guy bested Din, she bested spider guy... it was hers right? But she gave it back. Maybe she doesn't want to lead anymore...

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3544 on: March 17, 2023, 08:23:50 AM »
Does Bo embrace the old ways? Does she end up leading Mandalore again? Obviously she'd need to get the darksaber from Din first. Speaking of which, wasn't the dark saber hers after she picked it up from robot spider guy? Spider guy bested Din, she bested spider guy... it was hers right? But she gave it back. Maybe she doesn't want to lead anymore...

She was given the Darksaber by Sabin Wren....who had 'won' it. Which....could be the reason her leadership failed since she didn't technically 'win' it then either.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3545 on: March 17, 2023, 08:36:52 AM »

She was given the Darksaber by Sabin Wren....who had 'won' it. Which....could be the reason her leadership failed since she didn't technically 'win' it then either.
I don't know what the definition of winning it is, but it sure seemed like she won it in episode 2. Clearly she didn't feel comfortable taking it though. I'll be curious how her story arc finishes up. Who will be the one to ride the mythosaur and unite Mandalore? Her or Din? Someone else?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: March 17, 2023, 09:37:07 AM »

I don't know what the definition of winning it is, but it sure seemed like she won it in episode 2. Clearly she didn't feel comfortable taking it though. I'll be curious how her story arc finishes up. Who will be the one to ride the mythosaur and unite Mandalore? Her or Din? Someone else?

The tradition is that you have to defeat whomever wields it in battle to become the rightful heir to it. That’s why Din has it now…..he defeated Mof Gideon who had it. Remember, then he just wanted to give it to Bo Katan because he doesn’t really care about it and she “couldn’t” accept it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3547 on: March 17, 2023, 09:59:15 AM »

The tradition is that you have to defeat whomever wields it in battle to become the rightful heir to it. That’s why Din has it now…..he defeated Mof Gideon who had it. Remember, then he just wanted to give it to Bo Katan because he doesn’t really care about it and she “couldn’t” accept it.
But the spider guy defeated Din, so spider guy was momentarily the rightful heir to it. Spider guy happened to leave it laying on the ground and Bo defeated him. So it's an easy conclusion to draw that Bo at the point was the rightful heir. It's not really a huge deal, but I would have liked it explained why Bo gave it back.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3548 on: March 17, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »
But the spider guy defeated Din, so spider guy was momentarily the rightful heir to it. Spider guy happened to leave it laying on the ground and Bo defeated him. So it's an easy conclusion to draw that Bo at the point was the rightful heir. It's not really a huge deal, but I would have liked it explained why Bo gave it back.

Yeah....I can see what you're saying. I guess 'they' could say that the spider guy had no idea of what the darksaber even is so he never really took possession of it? Or that he's not a human or Mandalorian? I don't know?

Offline HOF

« Reply #3549 on: March 17, 2023, 08:42:31 PM »
I enjoyed the scenes with Tobias Funke and AC Slater for the Andor-ish vibe, but it was an odd detour from the Mandalorian. Does anybody actually remember the Slater girl from prior episodes? I do remember Dr. Funke, but did she have any lines or do anything memorable before?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: March 17, 2023, 09:30:23 PM »
I enjoyed the scenes with Tobias Funke and AC Slater for the Andor-ish vibe, but it was an odd detour from the Mandalorian. Does anybody actually remember the Slater girl from prior episodes? I do remember Dr. Funke, but did she have any lines or do anything memorable before?

Just a handful of scenes where she was in the presence of Moff Gideon....on the bridge and in some what may have been 'cool kid club' type instances. I think she's clearly still working with or aligned to help Gideon and carrying on whatever it is they were doing (assumingly the precursor to Snoke)

Online faizoff

« Reply #3551 on: March 22, 2023, 12:42:12 PM »
Very good episode today even if the setups are a bit contrived, love me some backstory whenever shown. Shortest episode so far less than 30 mins. I'm enjoying these episodes but man does it not feel like a Mandalorian show anymore.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3552 on: March 22, 2023, 12:54:15 PM »
Shortest episode so far less than 30 mins.

This pisses me off to no end. If this is the way they're telling the story then throw two episodes together out then....increase the episode numbers for the season....whatever. But for me, this is a ripp off for paying for the service. I'm expecting quality SW's content from Disney and that includes 40+ minute episodes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: March 22, 2023, 01:47:07 PM »
I think I'm getting tapped out of Mando.  Im struggling to stay interested in this season.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm just bored with it at this point.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3554 on: March 22, 2023, 01:47:24 PM »
I get what you're saying, but it doesnt bother me, if the story needs to be told in that time, then it's all good. Of course I could use longer episodes any time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3555 on: March 22, 2023, 02:58:49 PM »
I think I'm getting tapped out of Mando.  Im struggling to stay interested in this season.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm just bored with it at this point.

That's the thing.....to me, it feels like Disney is intentionally dragging the show out. 45-50 minute episodes with a 12 episode season and you can tell a great story that wouldn't have too much filler. GOT did it successfully for years until the source material ran out and even then it was still an above average show in respect to each episode not being filled with filler AND was long and engaging.

Disney in my view is just slow playing this show now and it's annoying. I know they have the Ahsoka series they're looking to tie into with this story so I'll cut them a bit of slack but not much.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3556 on: March 22, 2023, 05:37:53 PM »
Fun episode. Honestly they could've just shown Grogu fucking with the dart shooter and I would've been happy. His cuteness hasn't worn off yet.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3557 on: March 22, 2023, 08:09:53 PM »
I was fine with it, too.  It was on the short side, for sure; when it was done, I went "whoa, that's it?" but it felt more like the episode went by quickly than it just being short.  It was both.  But I enjoyed it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3558 on: March 22, 2023, 08:24:15 PM »
I wish Grogu had force-stopped one of the paintballs, and threw it back at the teenager.

Speaking of whom, was he hanging out in the Pterodactyl's mouth for like 20 hours or some shit like that?
Captured ---> chase on jets long enough to run out of fuel ---> walk back to camp ---> wait for Bo to comeback and reveal nest location ---> fly to nest area  ---> hike to nest location ---> camp ---> rock climb, and the kid is JUST THEN getting regurgitated to be Gerber's Organic Mando with Beskar Helmet?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3559 on: March 22, 2023, 08:47:14 PM »
I wish Grogu had force-stopped one of the paintballs, and threw it back at the teenager.

Speaking of whom, was he hanging out in the Pterodactyl's mouth for like 20 hours or some shit like that?
Captured ---> chase on jets long enough to run out of fuel ---> walk back to camp ---> wait for Bo to comeback and reveal nest location ---> fly to nest area  ---> hike to nest location ---> camp ---> rock climb, and the kid is JUST THEN getting regurgitated to be Gerber's Organic Mando with Beskar Helmet?

You just want to suck the fun out of everything....don't you?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3560 on: March 22, 2023, 09:23:16 PM »
I thought the same thing.  The timeline didn't make a lot of sense.

When the raptor thing came swooping in and took the kid away, I said something about all kinds of prehistoric things living on that planet.  Not a great place to hide out on, or maybe a great place to hide out on because no one goes there.  I wondered whatever happened to the dinocroc from a few episodes ago, then I got my answer.  Whoa!  There's always a bigger fish, or, something.

So now the three raptor orphans are "foundlings"?  How in the heck is that gonna work?  Although riding one of those once they get big enough would be pretty cool.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3561 on: March 23, 2023, 12:45:23 AM »

That's the thing.....to me, it feels like Disney is intentionally dragging the show out. 45-50 minute episodes with a 12 episode season and you can tell a great story that wouldn't have too much filler. GOT did it successfully for years until the source material ran out and even then it was still an above average show in respect to each episode not being filled with filler AND was long and engaging.

Disney in my view is just slow playing this show now and it's annoying. I know they have the Ahsoka series they're looking to tie into with this story so I'll cut them a bit of slack but not much.
Disney has nothing to do with it, it's Filloni and Favreau. And they've always taken a slow pace of storytelling with this show, and nods to wider things going on (like Moff Gideon's experiments and Ahsoka's appearance). I get that's not for everyone but it's carrying on pretty much as it always has been (other than needing to have watched the right episodes of Book of Boba to know what's going on at the start of this season, which I still think was really weird).

I thought the latest episode was great. Cool to see Grogu's Order 66 flashback, and I'm enjoying Bo-Katan's story arc. I don't imagine she's being converted to the religious beliefs of the Children of the Watch, but rather that she's liking the sense of community and connection.

Also it feels clearer now, with all the foundlings they're training, that the sect has been taking people in and trying to grow and expand, which explains why it's much bigger than it was last season.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3562 on: March 23, 2023, 04:46:28 AM »

You just want to suck the fun out of everything....don't you?

Just call me Stadler  :neverusethis:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3563 on: March 23, 2023, 07:06:51 AM »
 :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: March 23, 2023, 08:18:58 AM »
Was a 'fine' episode. At this point I'm way more interested in the character arc of Bo-Katan than anything. She's been a really good character all along during the animated shows and has just continued to be great in Mando....so, it's interesting to see her story progress.

As far as Mando and Grogu.....I just see it as Disney milking their journey and them just spoon feeding tiny bits by bits. Been pretty cut and paste storyline thus far. And, I'm not overly impressed with the backstory of Grogu being saved....specifically because they used some random/unknown Jedi Kelleran Beq to pull off the feat. Lame IMO. Could have/should have used any of the other handful of Jedi that 'we' had been introduced to in the animated series just to have some sort of cohesion. This random dude is a let down in my eyes.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3565 on: March 23, 2023, 08:30:31 AM »
Was a 'fine' episode. At this point I'm way more interested in the character arc of Bo-Katan than anything. She's been a really good character all along during the animated shows and has just continued to be great in Mando....so, it's interesting to see her story progress.

As far as Mando and Grogu.....I just see it as Disney milking their journey and them just spoon feeding tiny bits by bits. Been pretty cut and paste storyline thus far. And, I'm not overly impressed with the backstory of Grogu being saved....specifically because they used some random/unknown Jedi Kelleran Beq to pull off the feat. Lame IMO. Could have/should have used any of the other handful of Jedi that 'we' had been introduced to in the animated series just to have some sort of cohesion. This random dude is a let down in my eyes.

In late May 2020, Lucasfilm announced that Best would be starring as Jedi Master Kelleran Beq in a game-show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, with a scheduled release date of June 3, 2020.[10][11] It was later reported that Jedi Temple Challenge's release date had been delayed until June 10 as a result of the unrest surrounding George Floyd's murder.[12][13][14] He would later reprise the role in the third season of The Mandalorian, a live-action series set in the Star Wars universe.[15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Best

The same actor was also the voice and motion-capture for Jar-Jar Binks.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kelleran_Beq

-Marc.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3566 on: March 23, 2023, 08:54:20 AM »

In late May 2020, Lucasfilm announced that Best would be starring as Jedi Master Kelleran Beq in a game-show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, with a scheduled release date of June 3, 2020.[10][11] It was later reported that Jedi Temple Challenge's release date had been delayed until June 10 as a result of the unrest surrounding George Floyd's murder.[12][13][14] He would later reprise the role in the third season of The Mandalorian, a live-action series set in the Star Wars universe.[15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Best

The same actor was also the voice and motion-capture for Jar-Jar Binks.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kelleran_Beq

-Marc.

Yeah.....I knew he was the Jar Jar guy and about the Jedi Temple Challenge thing.....still makes no sense not to use a Jedi that TCW's had introduced us to. This guy was random....there's no getting around it. And I 'get' it......it doesn't/didn't need to be a Jedi we all 'know/knew'.....the randomness of it all is fine. It's just a 'miss' in my eyes.

Jocasta Nu could have been a good one, Tera Sinube....I mean....they showed his dead body in 'Obi Wan's' series....could have given the backstory there.....I don't know.....I just feel like a miss to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »

Disney has nothing to do with it, it's Filloni and Favreau. And they've always taken a slow pace of storytelling with this show, and nods to wider things going on (like Moff Gideon's experiments and Ahsoka's appearance). I get that's not for everyone but it's carrying on pretty much as it always has been (other than needing to have watched the right episodes of Book of Boba to know what's going on at the start of this season, which I still think was really weird).

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure it has to do with Disney beyond Disney just milking everything Star Wars.  I think I just feel bored with it.  Also I was thinking I actually enjoyed Book of Boba more than this season as much as I hate how you had to watch to fill the gap.  I had enjoyed the first couple seasons of Mando, it's just starting to feel old to me at this point.  I had kind of started to feel that way when Andor came out, but that show won me over and now coming back to this, it feels so uninteresting to me.  I may just not be that into the lore like some here are to really appreciate it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3568 on: March 23, 2023, 07:54:04 PM »
I liked it. I agree that kid would have been dead in minutes, so that was kind of stupid.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3569 on: March 23, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »
Epic butthurt rant:

Mandalorians are useless.  I am beyond disappointed with both Mandalorian live-action shows.

Everything that made them awesome in the animated shows is gone.  Everything I was hoping for, from what's been shown in the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy, with The Mandalorian and Book of Boba hasn't happened and what *has* happened is 99% garbage.

Jango - badass
OG Boba - badass, quiet, but we just knew he was badass
Boba Book - boring AF and completely out of character
Din Djarin - first few episodes he was a badass, now is just boring and lame
Bo Katan (animated) - total badass
Bo Katan (live) - totally lame
Mandalorians (animated) - absolute badasses
Mandalorians (live) - totally useless, boring, and stupid

The Mandalorians - What a stupid cult.  Let's be all about our clan and "this is the way" but then let's all go find a place to hide so we can take off our helmets and eat.  Let's put a helmet on as a kid and then never take it off for the rest of our lives.  Let's all move slowly and talk even slower and show no emotion or urgency in anything.

The Mandalorian

... What's the plan for Grogu?  He's 50 and still a toddler.  He'll be 150 before he's "old enough" and they'll all be dead anyway.  Is he going to wear armor?  That ridiculous chest thing will still take up half his chest once he's fully grown.

... The bird takes the kid and will feed it immediately when it gets back to the nest.  But, let's chase it anyway and then say it always gets away, and since we're stupid we won't at least *try* and do something different to take it out, just let the kid die.  Oh no, we run out of fuel, as usual, and we don't have any ships around?  We don't learn from our mistakes?

... So Bo chases it, finds it's nest, then flies back to slowly and calmly tell the others, no urgency, who slowly and calmly talk about shit.  Then they fly "close" so as not to let it know they're there, then take a Hobbit cross-country journey to the nest, but don't climb it, let's camp out overnight first and eat alone so nobody sees us without our hat.

... Of course, as soon as we get to the nest, it's perfect timing for the mama bird to show up and hork up the happy meal... WHO ISN'T EFFING DEAD AND SHREDDED, not to mention mama was, what, just hanging around before feeding her kids?  So somehow the kid survives in there for a day and a half, and then comes out entirely whole and a-ok?  WTF kind of bad joke is this?

... Let's bring home the 3 baby birds and call them "foundlings" which, presumably, means they're going to train them to be Mandalorians?  Raise them to be mounts or something, that's fair, but to make them Mandalorians?  WTAF?

This still doesn't cover how disappointed I've been with the majority of the live Star Wars shows.  The animated ones (eg. Bad Batch) are what the live shows should be.  Everyone gushing over Andor but, same thing, it's so boring and slow.