Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248114 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3360 on: June 17, 2022, 12:17:19 PM »
I thought it was fine. He didn't look deaged, but it didn't bug me.
I noticed, but it didn't bother me either. The deep fake or deaged faces are more distracting IMO.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3361 on: June 17, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
Zero issues with the flashback scene for me. I mean, at some point you have to just decide if you want a weird looking filtered actor or suspend just a little bit of belief and enjoy the scene.

I’ll take what we got over any of the de-aging stuff. Hayden and Ewan looked fine
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3362 on: June 17, 2022, 01:00:29 PM »
Zero issues with the flashback scene for me. I mean, at some point you have to just decide if you want a weird looking filtered actor or suspend just a little bit of belief and enjoy the scene.

I’ll take what we got over any of the de-aging stuff. Hayden and Ewan looked fine

Exactly. Both dudes have aged insanely well. So it didn't bug me at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HOF

« Reply #3363 on: June 17, 2022, 07:48:56 PM »
I liked this episode but several issues: 1) was the volume of the dialogue way too low for everyone else? I had my volume up at like 2/3 capacity still straining to hear the characters, then the loud blaster effects kicked in at full volume. 2) I hated the little speech that rebel lady who had the detonator gave to Kenobi just before the encounter with the Empire. The whole “I had to kill kids, so then I decided to save them instead” thing seemed totally unnecessary. We knew she was a good guy all along. Why did we need that back story? It seemed manufactured just to give Kenobi a little more emotional attachment when she died. But did it really? 3) The disproportionate ability to wield the force to anything else Vader displays in the other movies. Now, this is the kind of stuff I think he should have been doing with the force all along, but why does he not fight Luke and Obi-Wan in the same manner in the movies? Why does he not grab other ships out of the air to protect the Death Star.

I also thought it was kind of dumb that Reva survived, but it seems like they decided to give her a redemption arc in the final episode. Which is OK I guess.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3364 on: June 18, 2022, 12:31:35 AM »
I enjoy the show mainly because of Ewan and it was fun to see Hayden again, but I also can't shake that 'why does this show exist?'. I know it exists because they need to draw people to Disney+, Obi-Wan is one of their more popular characters and they could get Ewan. But from a story/character perspective I'm really missing a bigger purpose in this. I would have really liked a 6 episode season with an overarching story of Obi-Wan coming to terms with himself, his past, his part in the Jedi's being wiped off and Anakin becoming Vader. You don't need to make it super dark but you could have more of a focus on the PTSD that would come from that. Say what you want about the prequels but one of the things to take away from them is the arrogance of the Jedi becoming their downfall and if Obi-Wan and Yoda (among others) handled things better, all the Jedi wouldn't have been killed off and Anakin probably could have stayed a good guy.

Instead we get wacky hijinx of him with a child Leia and we're bordering into territory of affecting the movies because in her message to him in A New Hope, it definitely doesn't seem like she knew him and now we have a whole bonding mission together. Not a massive plothole or anything but we don't really need this stuff in my opinion. There also seems to be talk about s2 and you just know if that happens they will bring back Darth Maul for a final confrontation and while that could be fun to watch, again it sorta feels like filler where I wish they could write it more meaningfully.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3365 on: June 18, 2022, 06:30:52 AM »
Darth Maul was supposed to be in this season but Ray Park did something in real life that made them resort scenes and took him out of this Season. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3366 on: June 18, 2022, 09:38:34 AM »
There has already been a final confrontation between Maul and Kenobi depicted in Cannon. It happened in ‘Rebels’. Timing wise I think it’s in the future (in Kenobi shows current timeline) but it’d make no sense to reshoot that or present it in another fashion as what they gave us in Rebels was perfect.

In fact, Maul couldn’t come in contact with Kenobi at all considering the story they’ve told already in Rebels.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3367 on: June 18, 2022, 10:24:25 AM »
There has already been a final confrontation between Maul and Kenobi depicted in Cannon. It happened in ‘Rebels’. Timing wise I think it’s in the future (in Kenobi shows current timeline) but it’d make no sense to reshoot that or present it in another fashion as what they gave us in Rebels was perfect.

In fact, Maul couldn’t come in contact with Kenobi at all considering the story they’ve told already in Rebels.

You say that yet it seems they did plan on Maul appearing in this to begin with before they changed the script. Honestly I don't think they really care so much about the 'how' if there is a possibility to shove in a character people know and like.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3368 on: June 18, 2022, 11:04:14 AM »

Regardless of whether or not it was already produced in animation as canon, I'm sure there are some fans who wouldn't mind seeing it adapted to live action with Ewan as an older Obi-Wan.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: June 18, 2022, 01:22:28 PM »

You say that yet it seems they did plan on Maul appearing in this to begin with before they changed the script. Honestly I don't think they really care so much about the 'how' if there is a possibility to shove in a character people know and like.  :lol

Probably could have pulled it off when he was away from Tatooine. The while thing towards the end of that storyline with Maul and Ezra was that Maul could not find Kenobi and was obsessed with locating him. And, he hasn’t seen him or battled him in years….so…it’d have been interesting to see how they’d have shoehorned that meeting of characters into the story.

With the way the season has went as far as hit and miss writing….I’m not confident it’d have made sense or been handled well.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3370 on: June 18, 2022, 03:50:41 PM »

Probably could have pulled it off when he was away from Tatooine. The while thing towards the end of that storyline with Maul and Ezra was that Maul could not find Kenobi and was obsessed with locating him. And, he hasn’t seen him or battled him in years….so…it’d have been interesting to see how they’d have shoehorned that meeting of characters into the story.

With the way the season has went as far as hit and miss writing….I’m not confident it’d have made sense or been handled well.

I agree and unfortunately I think the writing is usually what lets these shows down. They figured they wanted to bring back Ewan as Obi-Wan because he's one of the most iconic faces of the franchise and people like him, but to what end? What is the purpose of this mini series? Does this further the story in a meaningful way? Not really, if anything him and Leia having an adventure makes A New Hope slightly awkward when her message plays out like she never met him before. Does this deepen his character in a cool way and feels like it's expanding something that will make us appreciate him more? Not really, at least not so far. They kinda could have done more with him coming to terms with his and Yoda's decisions that resulted in Order 66 and the extinction of the Jedi.

I still enjoy the show and I'm happy they are at least to some extent embracing the prequels as part of the universe, I just kinda wish the writing was a bit better and I feel like they could have done more.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3371 on: June 20, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »
I was going to rant about this show but episode 5 did redeem a couple of things for me, I really enjoyed episode 5.

Still, I think this could've been a great Star Wars film instead of a middling streaming series, a large chunk of 2-4 was super boring and had very little to offer.  I actually generally like the overarching plot and what they were going for, but the execution and pacing are bad most of the time.

To my surprise prequel Anakin did not set off any "this is awful" uncanny valley alarms in ny head, which I find impressive given that it is in broad daylight. I can be sensitive for that (Rogue One for example). But he did not look de-aged, which is just weird as that was the intention.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3372 on: June 20, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
I thought prequel Anakin looked like old Hayden Christiansen with some extra makeup. Didn’t occur to me that he might be de-aged. It was kind of weird seeing older Anakin being passed off as younger Anakin, but it seemed fine.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3373 on: June 22, 2022, 03:30:31 AM »
Decent finale. This whole series was kinda meh, but I wanted to see how it ended. Not interested in a Reva series (maybe with a better actor, no matter the color of their skin, just be a good actor!) Nor am I interested in a Princess Leia series, which I'm sure is coming. How many kids would even watch that? What's next? Didn't a few upcoming shows get cancelled?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3374 on: June 22, 2022, 06:15:03 AM »
Decent finale. This whole series was kinda meh, but I wanted to see how it ended. Not interested in a Reva series (maybe with a better actor, no matter the color of their skin, just be a good actor!) Nor am I interested in a Princess Leia series, which I'm sure is coming. How many kids would even watch that? What's next? Didn't a few upcoming shows get cancelled?
I liked the finale and the series overall. It was certainly flawed, but it was fun and I enjoyed seeing familiar characters again.

That being said, I think it's time to leave these characters behind, even the new ones that Reva, and forge ahead into the unknown. I fully suspect we'll get an Obi-Wan season 2, and I'll watch, but I'd rather they didn't. I also think we'll get a Reva stand-alone series because Disney will want to stick it to the handful of racist assholes rather than listening to legit criticism of the character (she was not very well written or well acted). While her backstory could be compelling, the character wasn't good enough or liked enough to justify a series. Write a book or a comic or something for those who care. I'm excited most about Taika Watiti's movie since it's something new. And The Acolyte series, which is again something new, but I haven't heard any updates on that so I wouldn't be surprised if it has died.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3375 on: June 22, 2022, 08:24:23 AM »
Decent finale, wasn't expecting much. Episode 5 was definitely the highlight of the series, if you can say that. Overall incredible waste of potential. I'm all for fan service and don't mind any of it but this show just handled it bizarrely I thought. I think the Reva character was written without much focus, was her motivation to kill Luke purely because he was Vader's son? how would that hurt Vader since he ....doesn't care? I dunno, I try not to let the small things get to me but overall this show was such a letdown because all the things to make it amazing were there.

I think when you know the outcomes already of most of the characters, them being in fights kinda feels useless.

I might rewatch it sometime later to see if I feel different. Right now I'm enjoying Ms.Marvel and The Boys a ton more.

I was quite impressed with Hayden in this entire series, I think all his scenes were great as Vader/Anakin.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:30:40 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3376 on: June 22, 2022, 09:36:04 PM »
I just do not get all the hate being thrown at Moses Ingram, racist or otherwise. Clearly I am missing something as I had no issues whatsoever with the character or the actor. I just don't get what I am missing. That's all I'm really going to say on the issue.

Anyway, enjoyed the finale and the wrap-up of the story.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: June 22, 2022, 10:44:48 PM »
Solid finale……loved the final battle between Vader and Kenobi…..enjoyed the call back and similarities to when Ahsoka did the same thing to Vader in Rebels and he had the same conversation with her…..Yet in lieu of leaving him she was willing to die with him as the temple collapsed as not to abandon him. But loved the display of power Kenobi unleashed on Vader…….really well done after the entire series had built Vader into this monumental pillar of force wielding power.

All in all it was a fun series but certainly not needed and as we’ve thoroughly discussed……has its issues. But I did enjoy it despite some of my criticisms.

Loved the nonchalant appearance of Qui Gon and the even more nonchalant acceptance of him being there by Kenobi.

I’m sure with the success of the series there will be a S2…..hopefully it’s a worthwhile story.

As far as the ‘hate’ being thrown at the Reva character…….I can understand it because I personally didn’t find the character all that appealing……didn’t find her portrayal of the character all that compelling……and think that entire storyline was just a waste of time and effort. Nothing to do with her race……everything to do with it just wasn’t done well and wasn’t needed IMO. Could have accomplished more with limited focus on the real Inquisitors and let them filter into the story as needed and left it at that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3378 on: June 23, 2022, 01:39:49 AM »
Well that was certainly a show I watched.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3379 on: June 23, 2022, 04:37:24 AM »
It was decent. I thought episode 2-4 were really bad. 1, 5 and 6 were solid enough, but still feel like there was so much missed potential.

Fuck the people that harass Reva's actress and/or dislike her because of her race. Unfortunately I do think the character wasn't really well done. I think it is due to the script and dialouge, it just isn't that good.

Jedi Fallen Order (the game) had a similar character in some ways, called Trilla. And I think the whole inquisition and former padawans growing up/struggling was done vastly superior. And even that story wasn't the best overall. But Jedi Fallen Order had good characters (and good lore) and that made the story enjoyable for me.

And for the amount of trained lightsaber fighters the amount of duels in this 6 hours of Star Wars is way too low.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3380 on: June 23, 2022, 05:21:45 AM »
I enjoyed the finale quite a bit. The rematch between Obi Wan and Vader was good, though Vader is really terrible at following through on his kills. That's twice now where he's left people for dead without finishing them off.  :lol

Some random thoughts:

• Ewan is great in the role, and it was nice to see him reprise it.
  • I don't think Leia should have been in this show at all (as a main character). By all means, have Obi Wan do some sort of mission for Bail Organa, and maybe have a cameo of her running around in the background, but to have her as a major player in this adventure, and then apparently have ANH Leia remember nothing about it seems like a misfire to me. IIRC, Leia and Obi Wan didn't even have a scene together in ANH
  • Most Darth Vader scenes very well done. The voice was spot on. There's folks saying that the two of them shouldn't have met again until ANH, but I'm not too bothered by it.
  • Reva's story arc was super obvious, so there was no surprise when she couldn't carry out what she was intending to do on Tattooine, and no real tension around it as you already knew the outcome anyway.
  • The Grand Inquisitor was wasted as a character.
  • What happened to the other two inquisitors? They just dropped off the face of the planet, seemingly..

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3381 on: June 23, 2022, 05:27:53 AM »
Thought the episode was a fitting conclusion, and they tied up the pieces that would lead in to ANH.  Moses' acting was in fact very good, but the character and dialogue is what the problem was with Reva.  I was interested in 3rd Sister for the first half of the series, but not so much for the last half.  It's impossible for the show to build any real suspense of 'how will this play out', because we know how it will play out - Reva's not gonna kill Luke; Owen/Beru will survive; Vader is going to 'best' Obi-Wan.  Why the show tried to build up some form of suspense was just ridiculous - this is why we need new characters.

My other beef with the finale is how Obi-Wan just turned on his abilities, and then wiped the floor with Vader.  I just didn't buy it.  If you don't use those "muscles" for 10 years, they shouldn't just magically come back in an instant.  I get the message they were trying to go for - the Light side is more powerful than the Dark; love trumps hate; yada yada.  But it was too much all at once - given how he struggled just to give Leia a soft landing, what ... less than a day or two earlier.

Also, space chases are not Star Wars' forte.  Why didn't they dispatch a battalion of Tie Fighters to disable that ship?  Or Obi-Wan's?

All in all though, I thought that was the best episode of the show, but am glad it's over.

P.S.  I would've loved it if the show ended with "Well, hello there".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #3382 on: June 23, 2022, 06:35:03 AM »
Mixed bag finale. I thought a large majority of it was fine but kind of pointless. As already pointed out, there was no tension. We know Luke will be fine. We know Leia will be fine. We know Ben and Vader will be fine. So I just wasn't terribly invested in any of those "tense" moments. Obi Wan and Vader's fight was....fine, cool if you're looking to see how powerful people are, which I'm usually not. However, the stuff between them that happened once his helmet was messed up was fantastic. That was just a great scene between those two and loved how it was handled. I never saw Rebels, so it being just like a scene from that didn't get in the way for me.

But yea, ultimately a lot of let down. I have no idea what Reva's plan was. Kill the son Vader didn't know about? And now she's redeemed because she spared one kid after killing who knows how many people including children? Don't buy it.

Also the Qui Gon cameo was just silly. Sorry, it was silly.

Ewan really brought it though, and I always enjoyed watching him, and I really enjoyed seeing Hayden when he was visible and acting.

Don't need a season 2, don't need a spinoff of any of these characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3383 on: June 23, 2022, 06:40:21 AM »
Silliest part for me is that these characters have these "final confrontations" and then leave each other alive constantly. Yes I KNOW they have to be alive at the end, but what's the motivation for Kenobi letting Vader live there?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3384 on: June 23, 2022, 06:46:03 AM »
I thought that episode six was the best episode and that the Kenobi-Vader duel was awesome. Their interaction once Vader's helmet got blown off was genuinely powerful. I did find it kind of funny how both were so powerful they could hurl mountains at each other. Just a couple of years ago, people were complaining about Rey being overpowered but compared to some of the Force powers we're seeing now, Rey is looking more and more like a merely competent Force user who just happens to look good because everyone else is so weak. :lol

You guys are looking at this all wrong.  The whole show is obviously a dream sequence or somehow otherwise not canon/set in the old pre-Disney Star Wars legacy extended universe.

Once I realized that, I just accept all the bullshit as "doesn't matter" and it is once again fun to watch.  And the duel where Vader kills Obi-Wan in the original film is once more their first meeting since Obi-Wan left Anakin for dead, AS IT SHOULD BE.

I think you may have been kidding a bit here, Hef, but this is basically how I view Star Wars at this point. The original trilogy is the pure Star Wars experience. The prequels I can accept as cannon but still pretty much ignore. The post-Disney era is its own thing that may legally be cannon but I have absolutely no difficulty segregating entirely from the originals. Like at this point, if you can't separate the three eras (original, prequal, and Disney) then OT Darth Vader is no longer one of the most badass villains ever but is instead basically just Dark Helmet from Spaceballs that's being hard carried by epic John Williams music. :rollin
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3385 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:57 AM »
However, the stuff between them that happened once his helmet was messed up was fantastic. That was just a great scene between those two and loved how it was handled. I never saw Rebels, so it being just like a scene from that didn't get in the way for me.

That scene was awesome.....so well done. I'm curious as to if maybe in that moment there wasn't just a little bit of Anakin left in there that said the things he said the way he did to allow Kenobi to attain some peace? It was Anakin essentially giving Kenobi a 'gift' and forgiveness so that he'd not just live the rest of his life in regret.

And the Rebels scene didn't / wouldn't have gotten in the way....if anything it made it better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: June 23, 2022, 08:14:39 AM »
  • Ewan is great in the role, and it was nice to see him reprise it.

100% agree. Despite the less than inspired writing.....Ewan nailed the character (again) and made the series (along with Hayden)

• I don't think Leia should have been in this show at all (as a main character).
Yeah....again....it just comes down to the writing. I didn't mind her being used in the story but I just don't think she was utilized correctly. I think the character was over exposed throughout.....would have rather seen her have the same screen time as the young Luke....there but really not important as we know all we need to know about them.

• Most Darth Vader scenes very well done. The voice was spot on. There's folks saying that the two of them shouldn't have met again until ANH, but I'm not too bothered by it.

Agreed....all the Vader stuff was pretty well done. I think the only 'flaw' I'd say was present in what we saw was him leaving Reva alive. I think the big wigs at Disney got in the way of that and ruined that whole thing by making them reshoot that scene and not allowing him to kill off Reva....poor choice on their part because that character is dull and will be a waste to do a spin off on her. But, I actually think what we were given between Vader and Kenobi enhances their next meeting. And for those of you who haven't seen this ( https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k ) it's a pretty cool fan made extended battle scene from ANH.

• Reva's story arc was super obvious, so there was no surprise when she couldn't carry out what she was intending to do on Tattooine, and no real tension around it as you already knew the outcome anyway.

Not only was none of her arc a surprise or super obvious....that character simply didn't need to be there. It was forced in to a story that didn't require it and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

• The Grand Inquisitor was wasted as a character.
  • What happened to the other two inquisitors? They just dropped off the face of the planet, seemingly..

This goes to the Reva storyline issue and why she wasn't needed.......there were/are already 'established' characters in The Grand Inquisitor and his minions that were not only more interesting but more suited for the story. Another example of a horrible 'miss' by Disney to utilize good characters by the lack of solid writing and trying to force a character into a spot where she wasn't needed due to more (in the SW universe) qualified and believable characters already existed.

but what's the motivation for Kenobi letting Vader live there?

That was pretty consistent with his character....especially the one built through the 'Clone Wars' series.

Don't need a season 2, don't need a spinoff of any of these characters.

Please email Disney with this message

My other beef with the finale is how Obi-Wan just turned on his abilities, and then wiped the floor with Vader.

I didn't have an issue with that. Kenobi always was a powerful and mindful Jedi....the motivation he found that 'unlocked' or helped him 'recall' that connection to the Force was believable to me.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3387 on: June 23, 2022, 09:53:02 AM »
I quite enjoyed that finale even if my general thoughts on the show are somewhat mixed. Enjoyed Ewan back as Obi-Wan, did enjoy the fan service cameos (I just knew the final one would happen since episode 1) but like others I have some problems with Leia's importance to the story and also The Third Sister which just felt like filler. I agree that we don't need a second season and definitely don't need spin offs, but I would rather watch Ewan again for a s2 of Obi Wan than sit through another season of Boba Fett. He's just likable in the role.

When Obi-Wan tells Leia about her parents I just imagined him saying "And you hate sand just like your father did" and it made me chuckle.  :lol

But yeah it feels a bit strange to end with Leia and Obi-Wan hugging and her being all like "Take care Obi-Wan you are my friend and I will never forget these adventures we shared" and then 10 years later in A New Hope it's basically "This message is for a Ben Kenobi. You don't know me but you served with my father in the clone wars and I need your help". It's kinda hard to avoid not getting small plot inconsistencies like this when they decide to tell stories in between movies though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3388 on: June 23, 2022, 08:30:02 PM »
I think it would be rather easy for a good writer who does a bit of research. Just don’t write scenes that contradict what we already know.  :justjen

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3389 on: June 24, 2022, 04:52:22 AM »
But yeah it feels a bit strange to end with Leia and Obi-Wan hugging and her being all like "Take care Obi-Wan you are my friend and I will never forget these adventures we shared" and then 10 years later in A New Hope it's basically "This message is for a Ben Kenobi. You don't know me but you served with my father in the clone wars and I need your help". It's kinda hard to avoid not getting small plot inconsistencies like this when they decide to tell stories in between movies though.

Yeah but that's not what happens, she says "Ben Kenobi" when Luke breaks her out of her cell. The message she put in R2 says "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3390 on: June 24, 2022, 05:42:28 AM »
seeing that dialogue, the show did as good a job as it could to connect the two stories with that final scene between the Organa's and Obi-Wan.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3391 on: June 24, 2022, 06:44:03 AM »
I think it would be rather easy for a good writer who does a bit of research. Just don’t write scenes that contradict what we already know.  :justjen

I didn't watch this, so bear this in mind, but I don't think it's that big an ask to stick to the framework.  I know it's Hollywood, and everyone thinks they are an "auteur!" but every once in a while there ought to be a shade of humility.  It's not like the scene in ANH is a minor, throwaway scene - it sets the basis for the first half of the movie, for gosh sakes - and it wasn't shoehorned in later by another creative person, it was created by the creator of the entire SW universe (Lucas).   To conform to that is part of your job.  Be creative and make it work, don't just ignore it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: June 24, 2022, 08:22:48 AM »
For discussion sake.....let's assume they're doing a S2 of Kenobi....because, well....you know they're going to. What would be an 'acceptable' storyline you could buy into? At this point I'd expect them to try to incorporate Yoda somehow being that he too is isolated and there is a lot of leeway there as far as available story they could tell as we really have nothing to go off of cannon wise.

Any thoughts?

Online Adami

« Reply #3393 on: June 24, 2022, 08:24:39 AM »
For discussion sake.....let's assume they're doing a S2 of Kenobi....because, well....you know they're going to. What would be an 'acceptable' storyline you could buy into? At this point I'd expect them to try to incorporate Yoda somehow being that he too is isolated and there is a lot of leeway there as far as available story they could tell as we really have nothing to go off of cannon wise.

Any thoughts?

No Yoda, please.

My thoughts? The whacky adventures of Obi Wan and Dexter Jettster!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3394 on: June 24, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »

Any thoughts?
I don't mind Kenobi speaking with Yoda and having some sort of mission to perform. I just hope it doesn't involve any other existing characters like Leia, Luke, or Vader. I would love to see it evolve our understanding of the Force. Qui Gon, Yoda, Obi Wan all learning more could be cool.