Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 257607 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2765 on: December 20, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
Regarding Luke, 1) I get that a lot of people think the tech isn't good enough yet, and sure but at no point did it bother me. I was just stunned to see him...AND R2!!!

Same. I thought Luke’s face looked a little off, but it didn’t in any way take me out of the scene. I haven’t seen too many complaining strongly about it.

I came across this YT clip, where some guy has redone Tarkin and Leia from R1: https://youtu.be/_CXMb_MO3aw

That looks pretty good to me. So the tech is getting close, probably just needs some time to perfect it.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2766 on: December 20, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
The soundtrack for the last few episodes is out and man the tracks "Troopers" &  "A friend" back to back are such a great listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2767 on: December 20, 2020, 07:48:02 PM »
On a second watch, and the soundtrack is even more impressive.

Just watched for the third time. Had even more chills and watery eyes this time around than I did the first time. The music that accompanies Luke as his X Wing enters the scene and he boards the cruiser is utterly beautiful and perfect for that moment in the story. It gets more powerful with each viewing.

Found the song on YouTube

https://youtu.be/Vt0T2QlWf8c

I posted before I saw this. But yes this music is incredible.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 07:57:38 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2768 on: December 21, 2020, 06:57:37 AM »
The Book of Boba Fett it confirmed to be an original series coming Dec 2021. Produced by Favreau , Filoni and Robert Rodriguez. I'm always excited for more Star Wars, but I think it's odd that the release of this will likely overlap with the release of The Mandalorian season 3. Seems like they would have wanted to space those out. Of note is that they didn't call it a limited series like they did with Obi-Wan, which means we could be looking at multiple seasons.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2769 on: December 21, 2020, 07:30:50 AM »
Man what a time to be a Star Wars fan.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2770 on: December 21, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Rumors are out there that a Luke Skywalker series set during the time of The Mandelorian is in the early stages of development as well. Let's not overdo it now Lucasfilm.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2771 on: December 21, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
Rumors are out there that a Luke Skywalker series set during the time of The Mandelorian is in the early stages of development as well. Let's not overdo it now Lucasfilm.

Have not heard these rumors. I also doubt they could possibly afford that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2772 on: December 21, 2020, 08:28:51 AM »

My opinion is the same as my opinion on all the Marvel movies and shows. As long as the quality is good I have no concerns with the quantity. Bring it on!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2773 on: December 21, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
I got a notification for it as well, seems to be a thing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2774 on: December 21, 2020, 08:42:43 AM »

My opinion is the same as my opinion on all the Marvel movies and shows. As long as the quality is good I have no concerns with the quantity. Bring it on!
Agreed. It easy to forget at times that everything announced so far will be released over a 3 year time frame, so I don't think 2-3 series a year is out of the question.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2775 on: December 21, 2020, 08:51:58 AM »
Pretty cool that the extra scene in Mandolorian is a segue to that show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2776 on: December 21, 2020, 09:30:13 AM »

Have not heard these rumors. I also doubt they could possibly afford that.

The only way they could pull it off is simply casting someone who looks a lot like a young Luke. And, if that's the case.....and this has been in the works.....they missed a huge opportunity in the finale of the Mandalorian to re-introduce 'Luke' to everyone by having the doppelganger actor reveal himself instead of the deep fake version.

I'm on the fence about whether to get excited about it or not. As I've said a few times.....this new team that's giving us the Mandalorian is really on a hot streak and have given me no reason to doubt they couldn't pull it off. But, it's Luke Skywalker. The 'one off' limited face exposure then CGI reveal worked....but a full series could be tricky to say the least. It 'sounds' awesome....but there's no room for error there. It's either a massive hit or it falls on its face.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: December 21, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »

Agreed. It easy to forget at times that everything announced so far will be released over a 3 year time frame, so I don't think 2-3 series a year is out of the question.

That article I linked earlier I read yesterday confirms that they're basically copying Marvel in the way that all these spin offs and series that they're planning are leading to one culminating moment....so, unlike the sequel series....I think they've mapped out the direction of what they want to accomplish.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2778 on: December 21, 2020, 09:48:06 AM »
The only way they could pull it off is simply casting someone who looks a lot like a young Luke. And, if that's the case.....and this has been in the works.....they missed a huge opportunity in the finale of the Mandalorian to re-introduce 'Luke' to everyone by having the doppelganger actor reveal himself instead of the deep fake version.

I'm on the fence about whether to get excited about it or not. As I've said a few times.....this new team that's giving us the Mandalorian is really on a hot streak and have given me no reason to doubt they couldn't pull it off. But, it's Luke Skywalker. The 'one off' limited face exposure then CGI reveal worked....but a full series could be tricky to say the least. It 'sounds' awesome....but there's no room for error there. It's either a massive hit or it falls on its face.
I agree that a Luke Skywalker series would need to recast Luke. You're right that they missed an opportunity to introduce us to the new Luke in he Mandalorian. I honestly think I'd rather they stay away from Luke apart from possible cameos here or there as they visit Grogu.

That article I linked earlier I read yesterday confirms that they're basically copying Marvel in the way that all these spin offs and series that they're planning are leading to one culminating moment....so, unlike the sequel series....I think they've mapped out the direction of what they want to accomplish.
Yeah at least all of the ones taking place during The Mandalorian timeline: Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Rangers of the New Republic, possible Luke Skywalker series should all culminate in some sort of cross-over event. Hopefully they'll have one off series like Obi-Wan and Lando without feeling the need for it all to tie in somehow. And the Acolyte (if successful) will likely kick off a completely separate group of series that tie together. Definitely looking forward to seeing how this all goes. I wish it wasn't a year before the next thing comes out and 2-3 years for a lot of it. It'll be hard to wait!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2779 on: December 21, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »
My guess is that Mando S3 and Boba won't air at the exact same time. Favreau said that Boba is in production and once they wrap on that, then they will move onto S3 of Mando. Factoring in CGI and whatever, I go see Boba airing first and then maybe Mando S3 following right after. He said that Mando is in pre-production right now.

Either way, the fact that the brain trust that is running Mando is running Boba is all I need to know.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2780 on: December 21, 2020, 10:47:49 AM »
My guess is that Mando S3 and Boba won't air at the exact same time. Favreau said that Boba is in production and once they wrap on that, then they will move onto S3 of Mando. Factoring in CGI and whatever, I go see Boba airing first and then maybe Mando S3 following right after. He said that Mando is in pre-production right now.

Either way, the fact that the brain trust that is running Mando is running Boba is all I need to know.
I'm pretty sure they've given December 2021 dates for both. But yeah, I trust they'll do it right. I honestly think if they were smart, they'd never overlap any Star Wars or Marvel series. If they just rolled from one to the next with a week or two off in between they'd basically give us reasons to always be paying for Disney+.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2781 on: December 24, 2020, 05:17:28 AM »
So I've rewatched the Luke scene a few times, and while I've read some well reasoned opinions from people who didn't care for it, I think that scene is nearly flawless. The music is fantastic, the build up of the reveal that it's Luke was great, seeing Luke at the height of his power was exciting, the way the scene was shot cutting between the security cams and the the actual shots of Luke was great, the buildup nof anticipation for the other characters in the show as well as the audience. I dunno guys, I can't think of a scene in Star Wars that is clearly better, certainly some are right up there with it.

The only things I can think of that bother me a bit is that I kinda hate it when someone shows up out of nowhere to save the protagonist just in the nick of time. Now at least in this case it had been built up in previous episodes. I also thought that Din removing his helmet for Drogu would have been more powerful if he hadn't removed it the episode before.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2782 on: December 24, 2020, 08:06:26 AM »
So... what IS the Mandalorian timeline in context of the nine movies?   

I'm at episode six of the first season, and while it's very good, I'm not genuflecting just yet.  Some of it has the faint whiff of... I don't know what the word is, but it's that idea of the cartoon character that is walking - sometimes sleepwalking - and is oblivious to all that is going on around him/her and nothing happens to them (like walking out on a steel beam and right when they get to the edge it's lined up with a floor of a building kind of thing)*.   Again, it's just a faint whiff, and I'm going to keep watching, but I'm almost 65% of the way through and not yet feeling like I have to schedule my lunch break to go watch more episodes, you know?   

* Having Gina Carano shoot the other bounty hunter in the back JUST as he's pulling the trigger is one example.   Escaping the leading assassin in the galaxy AND the junior bounty hunter that got greedy is another.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2783 on: December 24, 2020, 08:22:55 AM »
I believe it's somewhere in the 5-10 year range after Return of the Jedi, so probably a number of years before The Force Awakens.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2784 on: December 24, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »
Yep.  The Mandalorian takes place shortly after the original trilogy (~5 years I think I've read).  The Empire has fallen, but there are areas where the "Imps" still have considerable presence and influence.  The rebels from the OT (Luke and company) have formed The New Republic, but realistically, they may have destroyed a Death Star or two, but they don't actually know how to run a galactic government, so it's more like anarchy in some areas while The New Republic tries to establish some kind of order.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2785 on: December 24, 2020, 08:58:24 AM »

I found this on the internet, sounds about right

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2786 on: December 24, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
Really not sure there's a need to have a duplicate / smaller reference for Rogue One to reference the "past" scenes of R1
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2787 on: December 24, 2020, 10:28:30 AM »
So I've rewatched the Luke scene a few times, and while I've read some well reasoned opinions from people who didn't care for it, I think that scene is nearly flawless. The music is fantastic, the build up of the reveal that it's Luke was great, seeing Luke at the height of his power was exciting, the way the scene was shot cutting between the security cams and the the actual shots of Luke was great, the buildup nof anticipation for the other characters in the show as well as the audience. I dunno guys, I can't think of a scene in Star Wars that is clearly better, certainly some are right up there with it.

Yep. The soundtrack, the way they cut the scenes.....it all built up perfectly and was executed flawlessly. It’s an immediate all time iconic SW’s scene. I mean, it’s done so well that near everyone is willing to overlook the small issues with the deep fake/CGI they had with de-aging Hamill. I know I don’t give a  :censored. It’s the point and the power behind what that moment represents.

I'm at episode six of the first season, and while it's very good, I'm not genuflecting just yet.  Some of it has the faint whiff of... I don't know what the word is, but it's that idea of the cartoon character that is walking - sometimes sleepwalking - and is oblivious to all that is going on around him/her and nothing happens to them (like walking out on a steel beam and right when they get to the edge it's lined up with a floor of a building kind of thing)*.   Again, it's just a faint whiff, and I'm going to keep watching, but I'm almost 65% of the way through and not yet feeling like I have to schedule my lunch break to go watch more episodes, you know?   

* Having Gina Carano shoot the other bounty hunter in the back JUST as he's pulling the trigger is one example.   Escaping the leading assassin in the galaxy AND the junior bounty hunter that got greedy is another.

Bill, I think these are valid points but at the same time.....and don’t take this the wrong way.....I’ve never gotten the vibe from you that you were all that ‘in’ to SW in the first place? I do think that for those who are more invested in the SW story and universe that this series is nothing but a home run and a much needed blood transfusion for the entire franchise.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2788 on: December 24, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »

Bill, I think these are valid points but at the same time.....and don’t take this the wrong way.....I’ve never gotten the vibe from you that you were all that ‘in’ to SW in the first place? I do think that for those who are more invested in the SW story and universe that this series is nothing but a home run and a much needed blood transfusion for the entire franchise.

100%, and no need to apologize.  I'm a very specific, peculiar Star Wars fan.  The original three are God-like to me.  I saw ANH in the theaters with my dad, and it's the first movie I ever saw TWICE in the theater (and one of the only, to this day).  I had the figures (still do), I had the cards (still do), I drew a poster in like 8th grade for art class that was Luke, Leia and Han, and (don't tell anyone) I played and LOVE the Lego Star Wars video games.   Having said that, I never got into the stuff that wasn't DIRECTLY a George Lucas movie.  I never read the comics, I never read the novelizations, I haven't seen the Clone Wars... I don't know what it is.   Once you get out of the "Skywalker Universe" (so to speak), I get very... picky isn't the word, it's sort of that I lose interest. 

Having said that, I don't want anyone to think I'm shitting on what anyone else likes, or minimizing those things that anyone else likes.   I'm like this with music too (I love DT, but I have very few of the side projects or offshoots; same with Marillion. I'm not sure I have even one album by any of the current members of the band that isn't "Marillion"). 

And I'm also not done yet. It's very well crafted, and I'm sure there's a payoff here at some point.   I'm a fan of the actors too; Carl Weathers, Pedro Pascal, Warner Herzog...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:47:34 PM by Stadler »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2789 on: December 24, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »
The Lego Star Wars video games are amazing.  I'll tell anyone I want!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2790 on: December 24, 2020, 03:55:44 PM »
Based on the Luke response, i would like them to do either a show or movie/movies covering Jedi Academy.  Post return of the jedi that is.

That's a series I would definitely pay for or a movie that I would go and see (if movie theaters still exist that is)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2791 on: December 26, 2020, 08:06:32 AM »
The Making of Season 2 documentary was pretty cool. I wish it had been a multiple episode thing like season 1 instead of just a single 1 hour thing. The Volume is pretty sweet. That thing is the future of movie making for sure.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: December 26, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
The Making of Season 2 documentary was pretty cool. I wish it had been a multiple episode thing like season 1 instead of just a single 1 hour thing. The Volume is pretty sweet. That thing is the future of movie making for sure.

Yeah....the first episode was good. I like that they intentionally left out the 'Luke' talk as that has to point to a good chunk of time dedicated to it in future episodes?  What was cool as well was learning just how involved Filoni is in writing these episodes. There are countless clips of him talking through dialogue and ideas.....and specifically the one scene where he pretty much tells Favreau his idea of Din saying something that Greto says back in the day as he shoots out the lights was dumb and to think about it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2793 on: December 27, 2020, 09:58:07 AM »
I wonder what the amount of computer power needed to operate those giant screens on set?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: December 27, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »
I wonder what the amount of computer power needed to operate those giant screens on set?

Especially given that they aren’t just screens but react to camera angles etc etc......you have to imagine it’s an ungodly amount.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2795 on: December 28, 2020, 09:20:08 AM »
By sheer coincidence, my schedule worked out in such a way that I watched The Mandolorian season two finale and The Expanse season three finale on the same day. I started The Mandolorian a week before Christmas, and I started the Expanse back in November, and the two just kind of ended up coinciding with each other. This created a very interesting contrast for me.

On the one hand, there's The Mandolorian. I thought that season two was awesome, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The connection between Baby Yoda and Mando felt emotional and real, and was a great foundation for the series. Every frame of every episode bleeds with love, joy, passion, and skill for Star Wars. In a year like 2020, that kind of thing is deeply needed. We all need more of those things in our lives. However, as the season went on, I started to feel as though the series was leaning a bit much on nostalgia, which went to a new level with the final episode. Part of me was in love, but part of me couldn't help but feel as though it was a bit... Unsatisfying? I hope I'm making sense.

On the other hand, there's The Expanse. Absolutely unbelievable. Something I've never experienced before (even though there are clear influences from other sci-fi franchises). Unpredictable. Always looking forward. I left season three feeling deeply satisfied, in a way that The Mandolorian did not deliver for me, but also in a way that I'm not sure is possible for Star Wars to deliver anymore. Perhaps there's too much history there, too many fan expectations, and too much already said.

I apologize for sounding like a downer. I genuinely had a blast with The Mandolorian, and I can't wait for next season, but watching it at the same time as The Expanse also highlighted some aspects of the franchise that I feel are getting a bit limiting. I'm not sure how many more times I can sit through a semi-original Star Wars story that ends with a PT/OT character cameo at the end. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2796 on: December 28, 2020, 09:24:24 AM »

Yeah....the first episode was good. I like that they intentionally left out the 'Luke' talk as that has to point to a good chunk of time dedicated to it in future episodes?
No future episodes.  Season 1 of Gallery was 8 episodes, Season 2 was this one hour-long episode.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: December 28, 2020, 10:00:31 AM »

Yeah....the first episode was good. I like that they intentionally left out the 'Luke' talk as that has to point to a good chunk of time dedicated to it in future episodes?
No future episodes.  Season 1 of Gallery was 8 episodes, Season 2 was this one hour-long episode.

Noooooooooooooooo  :'(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2798 on: December 28, 2020, 07:02:56 PM »
So....... foot in mouth.  I watched eps 6, 7 and 8 of season one, and man.  Wow.   Did it pick up the pace.   I thought 6 was SO much better than that which came before (plus, Bill Burr!) and 7 and 8 were even better.

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure I now have a thing now for Gina Carano, too.  She can shock my trooper any time she wants. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: December 28, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
I went down a YouTube rabbit hole of watching Gina Carano’s old MMA fights. She was a badass. Was surprised to learn she ‘only’ had 7 professional fights though then didn’t return to the ring after her acting career took off.