Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248149 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2485 on: November 17, 2020, 09:25:34 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me at ALL if Disney's employment agreements / COC has a very broad definition of conduct unbecoming of a Disney employee.  The restrictions they put on Park cast members is pretty fuckin tight.
But those are restrictions put on people as they're working. If she were spouting off about political stuff while doing interviews to support The Mandalorian when she's officially "on the clock" as a Disney employee, that's completely different than posting stuff on her personal social media accounts.

No not really, there are rules around social media.  Not the best example, but an article a couple years old how they contract with Disney Channel stars.  https://screenrant.com/disney-stars-channel-messed-up-rules-policies-strict/

First item ... "Every Contract Comes With A Strict Morals Clause" ... "These clauses allow Disney to drop their actors like a hot potato should they get up to any embarrassing, immoral hijinks."
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2486 on: November 17, 2020, 09:27:37 AM »
The problem though, isn't what she said, it's how it really doesn't matter what she said IF someone can take it and make it fit the agenda.   

I don't know what she meant by the mask comment.  It MIGHT be anti-COVID mask, but the one I saw was really something somewhat different, implying  - implying, not saying outright - that there was agenda behind some of the politicizing of the COVID reponse.  That's not a controversial, nor should it be a fire-able - statement.  Even if it was an anti-mask sentiment, are we now making subjective, qualitative judgments on everything anyone says?  This is the definition of "mob mentality", because it presupposes a "right answer" for things that don't have an objectively right answer, only the flavor of the community in the moment.

Previously she wrote:
We need to clean up the election process so we are not left feeling the way we do today.
Put laws in place that protect us against voter fraud.
Investigate every state.
Film the counting.
Flush out the fake votes.
Require ID.
Make Voter Fraud end in 2020.
Fix the system.

Unless you're predisposed to assume that she means something in particular, I don't think there's anything terribly controversial there, either.   If this was 2022 (i.e. not a Presidential election year) and, say, Bill Clinton said, "we need tighter laws that protect the integrity of the vote, so we don't go through another 2020", would anyone say he was advocating for Trump's nonsense?   Nonsense!   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2487 on: November 17, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me at ALL if Disney's employment agreements / COC has a very broad definition of conduct unbecoming of a Disney employee.  The restrictions they put on Park cast members is pretty fuckin tight.
But those are restrictions put on people as they're working. If she were spouting off about political stuff while doing interviews to support The Mandalorian when she's officially "on the clock" as a Disney employee, that's completely different than posting stuff on her personal social media accounts.

No not really, there are rules around social media.  Not the best example, but an article a couple years old how they contract with Disney Channel stars.  https://screenrant.com/disney-stars-channel-messed-up-rules-policies-strict/

First item ... "Every Contract Comes With A Strict Morals Clause" ... "These clauses allow Disney to drop their actors like a hot potato should they get up to any embarrassing, immoral hijinks."

I don't think there's any question that Disney can fire her if they want to; the question for me is similar to the one in the Trump election thread.    Just because they can, SHOULD they?  I know for me, I try to be consistent.  I don't like what Trump is doing, but he has the right to do it, even if it's ultimately bad for the country.  I don't like it if Disney fires her, but unfortunately they have the right to do it, even if I feel it's ultimately (and indirectly) bad for the country (in terms of the divisiveness it foments).

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2488 on: November 17, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
Back to the episode.....couple cool little things:

Loved how when Bo-Katan and the other two Mandalorians removed their helmets they made the same 'decompression' type sound that Vader's helmet made when Luke removed it in ROTJ.

The repurposed ATAT that pulled the razor crest out of the sea was cool.

The 'feel' of the fight scene on the Empire ship was reminiscent of the battles/fights in the animated series. That was cool.

The score that was playing when they showed the back shot of the Emperial Ship from behind....then the 4 Mandalorians flying up to it was pretty sinister...great mood setting.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2489 on: November 17, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
I assume we'll learn more about how Mando's sect is different from other Mandalorians, but I was a bit disappointed that wasn't explained more than it was in the episode. I assume this isn't the end of Bo-Katan and her friends this season.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2490 on: November 18, 2020, 03:18:43 AM »
Oh, Gina... why you gotta be controversial?  le sigh

I’m more disappointed that people can’t handle her having different views and are demanding she be fired.

Yeah.  I'm liberal, I'm left leaning....but the far left annoys me nearly as much as the far right.  If she ends up getting sacked over this it'll just make the nastiness/bitterness  worse.  Nothing positive can be gained from it - while I don't agree with her, like others on here have expressed, her views/opinions aren't actually that bad certainly not sackable IMO.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2491 on: November 18, 2020, 07:15:12 AM »
Ok, watched the last 4 episodes of clone wars last night, and it definitely gave a good view of Ahsoka as a character. Really solid stuff, and some beautiful visuals, especially in the closing moments. The shot of her facing the hundred Graves of fallen clone soldiers was an  especially powerful statement of her as a character, and perfectly executed. Thanks for the suggestion Gary  :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: November 18, 2020, 07:40:19 AM »
Ok, watched the last 4 episodes of clone wars last night, and it definitely gave a good view of Ahsoka as a character. Really solid stuff, and some beautiful visuals, especially in the closing moments. The shot of her facing the hundred Graves of fallen clone soldiers was an  especially powerful statement of her as a character, and perfectly executed. Thanks for the suggestion Gary  :tup

I’m glad you will have some context to her character. That YouTube video (I linked below) is pretty good as well. But as I said, there are clips from both animated series spliced in.....but if you did the last 4 of TCW that video may be something you’d like.

BTW.....what did you think of the score of those last four episodes? I thought it was amazing!

Reposting in case anyone missed it.....we blasted through a page talking about Gina's social media comments.....

Well, the Youtube video I've linked below does a really good job of giving an idea of 'who' she is as a character, it speaks to her close relationship with Anakin and as I said....paints a pretty good picture of her as a whole. If you're looking to 'understand' who you're about to meet on 'The Mandalorian' this would be the video to watch.

BUT......it is comprised of clips from both The Clone Wars and Rebels which makes it filled with spoilers if you plan to watch either or both those series you'll see action sequences, characters, etc etc that may surprise you and/or leave you wondering what, why and how it's happening. But it's a good 'hype' video so it may make you want to delve into Rebels and TCW's.

Anyway, here's the link but again for anyone who plans on watching TCW's and/or Rebels....you'll be exposed to images/characters from those series......so watch at the risk of being spoiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQKs6U8eWoQ&t=4s
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:55:32 AM by gmillerdrake »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: November 18, 2020, 09:00:06 AM »

It was also powerful seeing Vader show up months/years?? later and seemingly have a moment of reflection and perhaps regret? Really well done scene.

Also, that Ahsoka v. Maul battle was not just animated....it was motion capture technology. Really cool stuff....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mpZ_rtcUIE

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2494 on: November 18, 2020, 09:32:35 AM »
Saw that, spent a good hour digging into her lore surrounding those episodes afterwards  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: November 18, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
Saw that, spent a good hour digging into her lore surrounding those episodes afterwards  :lol

gotta love getting lost in a rabbit hole every now and then.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2496 on: November 18, 2020, 10:57:35 AM »

gotta love getting lost in a rabbit hole every now and then.

I'd actually love to find a high quality print of the shit of her in front of the Graves for my kid for Xmas. She loves her nerd posters and that'd be an excellent addition (she has an original star wars EP IV print personally autographed by Carrie Fischer at comic con, with like a whole paragraph of text to my daughter. She was fucking crying when she called and told me about it, cutest thing ever)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2497 on: November 18, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
I'd actually love to find a high quality print of the shit of her in front of the Graves for my kid for Xmas. She loves her nerd posters and that'd be an excellent addition (she has an original star wars EP IV print personally autographed by Carrie Fischer at comic con, with like a whole paragraph of text to my daughter. She was fucking crying when she called and told me about it, cutest thing ever)

Looks like there are some good ones out there. This was a pretty quick search....

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2498 on: November 19, 2020, 07:27:21 AM »
Anyone watch the Lego Star Wars holiday special on Disney+? I thought it was pretty amusing. They poked fun at themselves several times which was funny. Not critical Star Wars cannon or anything, but it was a lighthearted fun 45 minutes or so.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2499 on: November 20, 2020, 04:35:30 AM »
Since I haven't followed this thread i'm not sure what the general opinion is about The Mandalorian. I recently started watching it after waiting for some time to finish other shows and have a reason to get Disney+.
Have to say i'm pleasently surprised how much I actually enjoyed the show, not that I was dubious but it just clicked with me. It feels very Star Wars:ish (not in a negative, more like great they captured that feeling sort of way) but with a more easy narritive since you basically only follows Mando. I also love how lowkey Pedro plays him with not much talking.
The battle with the giant worm in E01S02 was just awesome, very well made.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:36:29 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: November 20, 2020, 05:33:38 AM »
Anyone watch the Lego Star Wars holiday special on Disney+? I thought it was pretty amusing. They poked fun at themselves several times which was funny. Not critical Star Wars cannon or anything, but it was a lighthearted fun 45 minutes or so.

We're probably gonna fire it up for our Sunday/pizza/TV show family night.  Very much looking forward to it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2501 on: November 20, 2020, 09:54:49 AM »
Another great episode today! This show is definitely up with there with my favorite shows of all time. It certainly helps that I'm a lifelong Star Wars fanboy and love pretty much everything with the Star Wars name on it.

Have I mentioned how much I love the music? I'm listening to the scores for Ch 9-12 which was released today. I love how different it is than other Star Wars scores, but it's just Star Warsy enough to fit in the universe.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2502 on: November 20, 2020, 10:24:28 AM »
Another great episode today! This show is definitely up with there with my favorite shows of all time. It certainly helps that I'm a lifelong Star Wars fanboy and love pretty much everything with the Star Wars name on it.

Have I mentioned how much I love the music? I'm listening to the scores for Ch 9-12 which was released today. I love how different it is than other Star Wars scores, but it's just Star Warsy enough to fit in the universe.

Yeah....it was really fun! As you mentioned....they're spot on with the score and the action sequences this entire series have been awesome. This season they're even better than the first.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2503 on: November 20, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »

I mean to, but I'm unsure if my wife would care for it, even if she enjoyed the Lego movies. She just doesn't care for anything SW.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2504 on: November 20, 2020, 06:20:21 PM »
Great episode!

Impressive directing by Carl Weathers, minus a few cut frames in the action scenes. But I dug it a lot.

My fridays now consist of watching the new Star Trek: Discovery and then Mandalorian after. That way I go from disappointed to quite pleased.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2505 on: November 20, 2020, 06:21:19 PM »
Not sure how they did it, but maybe my favorite episode yet.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: November 20, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »
Great episode!

Impressive directing by Carl Weathers, minus a few cut frames in the action scenes. But I dug it a lot

Just came in here to say the same. 45 mins flew by.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2507 on: November 20, 2020, 08:55:30 PM »
Since I haven't followed this thread i'm not sure what the general opinion is about The Mandalorian. I recently started watching it after waiting for some time to finish other shows and have a reason to get Disney+.
Have to say i'm pleasently surprised how much I actually enjoyed the show, not that I was dubious but it just clicked with me. It feels very Star Wars:ish (not in a negative, more like great they captured that feeling sort of way) but with a more easy narritive since you basically only follows Mando.

Still on Season 1, and was thinking about this. Trying not to compare it to the films (different scope, budget, medium, and all....) but the show does a great job with its structure. It stays focused, it doesn't cram too much story in to one episode, it moves the plot along so that each episode is its own unique story, while still developing the overall narrative. Thinking about what Chad said, it feels like the time flies by, but not because it is trite or dull, but because the story is so focused and engrossing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2508 on: November 21, 2020, 12:43:01 AM »
Solid episode, and it laid brilliant groundwork for the rest of the season. Really, really curious how they're gonna squeeze Ahsoka into all this now.

And that opening scene with Baby Yoda and the electric wires was just beyond adorable (bit a rip off of the Baby Groot schtick from GotG II but oh well)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2509 on: November 21, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »

Yea it's really interesting, it's diffrent yet it works so I guess the music is just good and interesting instead of a copy or a version of Williams format. I mean nobody can create the same feel as William has with his music without sounding like a copy so I think doing it diffrently but still have certain aspects left is a good approach.

How 'The Mandalorian' Score Found The New 'Star Wars' Sound

Sidenote, this tech feels so logical in a way. The benefit of having the natural light from the screen being projected onto the set seems brilliant.
Why 'The Mandalorian' Uses Virtual Sets Over Green Screen | Movies Insider

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2510 on: November 21, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »

Sidenote, this tech feels so logical in a way. The benefit of having the natural light from the screen being projected onto the set seems brilliant.

The "Gallery" series on D+ goes into great detail on this in one episode.  Everyone really should watch that whole series, it was absolutely fascinating and captivating.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2511 on: November 21, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »
That kid should've shared one of his cookies.  He lost the whole rest of the pack instead.  Serves him right.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2512 on: November 21, 2020, 10:01:30 AM »

The "Gallery" series on D+ goes into great detail on this in one episode.  Everyone really should watch that whole series, it was absolutely fascinating and captivating.
:tup Will check it out!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2513 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
Solid episode, and it laid brilliant groundwork for the rest of the season. Really, really curious how they're gonna squeeze Ahsoka into all this now.

I don’t think her involvement is heavy. I think she’ll show up at the end of an episode and it’ll close with her reveal then she’ll be ‘featured’ in one. Then, that will be that with her.

I think the intention is to tease us with her and to gauge the reaction to her character to base their approach to her spin off. She’s a very tricky character to cross over from animation to live action. Bo-Katan was easy because she is human and Katee Sackhoff is an ‘action’ actress....it was a simple transition.

Outside of her appearance, Ashley Eckstein’s voicing of her character is very distinctive so I’m really curious as to how they’ll approach that. It doesn’t have to be spot on but it needs to be close. I’m sure they can capture the look of Ashoka.....it’s the voice and mannerisms I’m waiting to see how they pull off. It doesn’t make it any easier that Ashoka’s quickness and acrobatic style of fighting will be a bear to depict in live action.

But I am excited to see this happen. I have complete faith in Filoni and Favreau that they’ll do her justice.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2514 on: November 21, 2020, 11:26:53 AM »
I wasn't aware an Ahsoka show was in the makings. That'd definitely make her a part time character for sure. I think Dawson is going to be amazing as her, especially considering she'll perfectly age Tano from the end of Rebels to the Mandalorian time. I'd imagine that they'll spin off her show from that point. As to the voice, Dawson's is a far cry from Eckstein, but she does have the look down pat. (watching Luke Cage now, and it confirms it for sure). Not worried about the action part, tech works wonders these days. Hopefully they can get the girl who did the action sequences for clone wars as her double.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2515 on: November 21, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »
From what I’ve read Disney wants to see the reaction to live action Ahsoka to see how the fans take to her.....but that they’re dead set on doing a spin off surrounding her. There’s a ton of story to be told with her from after Rebels to Mandalorian time.

I’m sure they’ve addressed the voice sound issue. I would think since Ahsoka is essentially Dave Filoni’s baby (Lucas wanted her killed off early in TCWs) that he is going to make sure that character shines in her debut to live action.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2516 on: November 21, 2020, 07:49:53 PM »
I'm not overly concerned about a less...athletic Ahsoka.  I mean, she will have aged a few decades, so it's kinda understandable that she won't be flipping around.  They can still have a lot of the physical mannerisms and such, but just toned down.  I like the idea of her appearing and having that connectivity, and I think having a "fallen jedi" (not the right term, but you get what I mean) who survived order 66 and has been in hiding all this time fits the mood of this show really well.  Even though having a lot of known characters kind of makes the universe seem smaller, I would much rather see her than just some unknown jedi.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2517 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2518 on: November 22, 2020, 06:02:56 AM »
Outside of her appearance, Ashley Eckstein’s voicing of her character is very distinctive so I’m really curious as to how they’ll approach that. It doesn’t have to be spot on but it needs to be close.

As to the voice, Dawson's is a far cry from Eckstein, but she does have the look down pat.

Yeah, I don't think you'll get any whiff of Dawson trying to sound like Eckstein. The voice matching is a fan's concern. I'm sure Filoni is concerned with some mannerism and certainly dialog, but I doubt (for him) that the character hinges on the pitch of the actress's voice. I could be wrong.

IMO, Dawson's voice is an enormous step up anyway.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: November 22, 2020, 07:30:42 AM »
Outside of her appearance, Ashley Eckstein’s voicing of her character is very distinctive so I’m really curious as to how they’ll approach that. It doesn’t have to be spot on but it needs to be close.

As to the voice, Dawson's is a far cry from Eckstein, but she does have the look down pat.

Yeah, I don't think you'll get any whiff of Dawson trying to sound like Eckstein. The voice matching is a fan's concern. I'm sure Filoni is concerned with some mannerism and certainly dialog, but I doubt (for him) that the character hinges on the pitch of the actress's voice. I could be wrong.

IMO, Dawson's voice is an enormous step up anyway.

Debating who has the better voice isn’t the issue. Eckstein is a voice actress....she’s made a career of it. And, her voice has become synonymous with Ahsoka. It ‘is’ Ahsoka. The patterns and fluctuations and ‘way’ she says things has made that character what she is. I can’t believe that they’ll ignore the importance of it. And, I can’t believe that (presumably) Dawson.....being the good actress she is.....wouldn’t have studied Ecksteins delivery and methods of speaking to try and emulate her in some capacity.

As far as the ‘look’ I’m 100% with you RJ, Dawson can capture it. Although my first choice would have been Carly Chaikin (she played Darlen on Mr. Robot) She captures the look as well. But I’m sure Dawson will be great.