Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248127 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2450 on: November 15, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
I've never seen any of the animated Star Wars, just bits and pieces.  I've seen names tossed around during discussions here and elsewhere, so I caught the Ahsoka Tano name drop, and I remember some of y'all mentioning that there are different "factions" (for lack of a better word) of Mandalorians, at least some of whom don't have a problem taking their masks off.  So that was interesting.  And yet, as the episode was unfolding, I never felt like I was missing anything.  The show gave me what I needed to know to understand what's going on, while at the same time, people more familiar with the backstories would get more out of it.  That's fine, too.  That's their reward for being up on all things Star Wars.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2451 on: November 15, 2020, 07:15:05 AM »
I think I'm like 18 episodes into S1, and it's a chore to go back each time, but I'm also avoiding a synopsis run in case I do want to go back, if that makes sense. Ahsoka gets so much love I really want to delve into her character before she makes her Mandalorian appearance but time just won't allow that.

I hear ya... jingle.son and I tried tackling it over the summer, but we stalled somewhere around the ep 10 point of S1.  It just wasn't terribly entertaining, and there's SO MUCH other stuff that's a higher priority.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2452 on: November 15, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »
I managed to watch through all of The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance over the course of this year. It was mostly on in the background while I was working from home, so I can't say I caught every last detail. But it was mostly very entertaining and grew my appreciation of the Star Wars universe. It's kinda fun to catch those little nods to stuff from the animated world in the movies and now The Mandalorian. So far it hasn't seemed like you'd be missing anything by not having seen the animated series though. Hopefully it stays that way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2453 on: November 15, 2020, 06:56:32 PM »
The Clone Wars is a chore to get through just because there is so much of it that isn't very good, especially in the early seasons.  But as you progress, there is more and more that is really good, that wouldn't have been quite as good without the added texture and depth provided by the earlier stuff. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2454 on: November 15, 2020, 07:15:50 PM »
The Clone Wars is a chore to get through just because there is so much of it that isn't very good, especially in the early seasons.  But as you progress, there is more and more that is really good, that wouldn't have been quite as good without the added texture and depth provided by the earlier stuff.

Pretty good assessment. S3 for me it really caught it’s stride and the good heavily outweighed the bad. First season or two it was hit and miss. But you’re right.....it’s a catch 22 because you need that background and history of the characters (especially Ashoka) to appreciate their character journey.

I didn’t feel the same way about Rebels. I thought Rebels was great out of the gate and never stopped.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #2455 on: November 15, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »
I'm thinking of starting Rebels sometime soon, are there any connections with the clone wars show? I'm assuming you can watch Rebels without having seen Clone Wars.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2456 on: November 15, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
I'm thinking of starting Rebels sometime soon, are there any connections with the clone wars show? I'm assuming you can watch Rebels without having seen Clone Wars.

Nothing major that you’d need to enjoy it. The connections that they make are spelled out pretty good for you.

My brother started watching it last week and he said he watched the entire first season and a few episodes into the second in two nights.....that it’s a “lot better than he expected”

The story pumps along pretty good. Where TCW would lose you on some silly episodes Rebels co rubies to move it along with little if any ‘wasted’ episodes.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2457 on: November 15, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »
Thanks, that's kinda what I thought.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: November 16, 2020, 05:18:55 AM »
Most excellent episode this week - back to moving the story forward.  Cool to get more back-story of Mandalorian's in general.  That's gotta come back later in the season for sure. 

The Razor Crest is a bigger hunk of junk than the Falcon now.  That thing looks like a 6-year jingle.boy trying to make lego ships out of his spare pieces, cuz he can't afford to buy the kit.  :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2459 on: November 16, 2020, 05:32:12 AM »
Most excellent episode this week - back to moving the story forward.  Cool to get more back-story of Mandalorian's in general.  That's gotta come back later in the season for sure. 

The Razor Crest is a bigger hunk of junk than the Falcon now.  That thing looks like a 6-year jingle.boy trying to make lego ships out of his spare pieces, cuz he can't afford to buy the kit.  :lol

:lol I loved his reaction when he got back into it!

This show is just so good. It's amazing how well they're pulling it off. IMO it's the best thing Star Wars has done in a VERY long time.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2460 on: November 16, 2020, 07:29:20 AM »
I agree The Mandalorian is the best Star Wars in a while. I just hope they have a plan for the overarching plot and a plan for the number of season so it doesn't just keep getting strung along since it's popular. I also hope they don't try too hard to use it as a vehicle to spin off other shows/movies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2461 on: November 16, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
Ahsoka gets so much love I really want to delve into her character before she makes her Mandalorian appearance but time just won't allow that.

Well, the Youtube video I've linked below does a really good job of giving an idea of 'who' she is as a character, it speaks to her close relationship with Anakin and as I said....paints a pretty good picture of her as a whole. If you're looking to 'understand' who you're about to meet on 'The Mandalorian' this would be the video to watch.

BUT......it is comprised of clips from both The Clone Wars and Rebels which makes it filled with spoilers if you plan to watch either or both those series you'll see action sequences, characters, etc etc that may surprise you and/or leave you wondering what, why and how it's happening. But it's a good 'hype' video so it may make you want to delve into Rebels and TCW's.

Anyway, here's the link but again for anyone who plans on watching TCW's and/or Rebels....you'll be exposed to images/characters from those series......so watch at the risk of being spoiled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQKs6U8eWoQ&t=4s

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2462 on: November 16, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
For those who want to learn a bit about Ahsokanwithout spending weeks catching up, that YouTube video above is good. I'd also suggest watching the last four episodes of The Clone Wars. They're pretty fantastic and give good insight into where her story leaves off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: November 16, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »
For those who want to learn a bit about Ahsokanwithout spending weeks catching up, that YouTube video above is good. I'd also suggest watching the last four episodes of The Clone Wars. They're pretty fantastic and give good insight into where her story leaves off.

I personally consider Those last 4 episodes of Clone Wars some of the best SW material ever. From the score to the action to the animation.....incredible. I’d suggest watching them all at once.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2464 on: November 16, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »

I personally consider Those last 4 episodes of Clone Wars some of the best SW material ever. From the score to the action to the animation.....incredible. I’d suggest watching them all at once.

Are you talking the last four from the season just released? If I'm truly honest with myself, I'll never commit to watching it all the way through  :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2465 on: November 16, 2020, 07:10:27 PM »

Are you talking the last four from the season just released? If I'm truly honest with myself, I'll never commit to watching it all the way through  :lol
Yes, those four. Watch them all at once like a movie. They're awesome.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2466 on: November 16, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
I personally consider Those last 4 episodes of Clone Wars some of the best SW material ever.

Well, maybe some of the best animated SW material ever.  But it should be stressed that that is a VERY low bar. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: November 16, 2020, 08:18:14 PM »
I personally consider Those last 4 episodes of Clone Wars some of the best SW material ever.

Well, maybe some of the best animated SW material ever.  But it should be stressed that that is a VERY low bar.

Nah....for me I place those last 4 episodes above any of the Prequals, Solo, and Rise of Skywalker (strictly based on the huge whiff they had with not actually having Anakin Skywalker ‘rise’ to defeat Palpatine)

I get it.....you and I have different opinions on the animated series out there and even Ashoka.....but, they are just our opinions. Neither is cannon.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: November 17, 2020, 07:54:16 AM »
Oh, Gina... why you gotta be controversial?  le sigh

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2469 on: November 17, 2020, 07:59:46 AM »

I’m more disappointed that people can’t handle her having different views and are demanding she be fired.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2470 on: November 17, 2020, 08:03:39 AM »

I’m more disappointed that people can’t handle her having different views and are demanding she be fired.

This.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: November 17, 2020, 08:05:15 AM »

Totally this. It's ridiculous. The only controversy is that she isn't toeing the Hollywood line of being a liberal. Trying to get someone fired because they don't think like you.....that's the sad state of affairs we are in these days.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2472 on: November 17, 2020, 08:25:33 AM »
What happened?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: November 17, 2020, 08:29:22 AM »

Totally this. It's ridiculous. The only controversy is that she isn't toeing the Hollywood line of being a liberal. Trying to get someone fired because they don't think like you.....that's the sad state of affairs we are in these days.

I'm with you on the 'fired' part.  I don't have a problem with people being "outraged" - frankly, I'm pissed at any anti-masker.  I should've clarified that I'm annoyed with both - cancel culture from Social Justice Warriors strikes again!  Hopefully it simmers down before Disney feels they need to take action.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2474 on: November 17, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »

I'm with you on the 'fired' part.  I don't have a problem with people being "outraged" - frankly, I'm pissed at any anti-masker.  I should've clarified that I'm annoyed with both - cancel culture from Social Justice Warriors strikes again!  Hopefully it simmers down before Disney feels they need to take action.

Totally. I don't agree with what she's saying.....it's the idea that she can now lose her job and it's being begged of her to lose it.....just because she's using her freedom of speech.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2476 on: November 17, 2020, 08:53:20 AM »

Totally. I don't agree with what she's saying.....it's the idea that she can now lose her job and it's being begged of her to lose it.....just because she's using her freedom of speech.
I dunno, I mean freedom of speech means she can't be arrested and obviously she isn't, but it doesn't mean individual companies wouldn't consider it breaks their code of ethics/values/whatever. I don't see that as "cancel culture". I'm not saying that's the case here for Disney, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to do so. She's saying some pretty damn irresponsible stuff.

What happened?

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/fireginacarano-the-mandalorian-fans-renew-attempts-to-have-actor-removed-over-anti-mask-tweets-2817948

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2477 on: November 17, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
I dunno, I mean freedom of speech means she can't be arrested and obviously she isn't, but it doesn't mean individual companies wouldn't consider it breaks their code of ethics/values/whatever. I don't see that as "cancel culture". I'm not saying that's the case here for Disney, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to do so. She's saying some pretty damn irresponsible stuff.

And some rather bizarre stuff from what mrs.jingle quickly read to me.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2478 on: November 17, 2020, 08:58:39 AM »
Disney should not fire her because "fans" are calling for it. BTW... I suspect many of these so-called fans don't really care about Star Wars or The Mandalorian, but are just people who love to get themselves fired up about anything and everything. If Disney deems her to be in violation of of any terms of her contract, by all means they can fire her. I'm pretty sure there's fine print in my employment stuff that anything I say on social media that potentially results in negative attention being brought towards my company can result in my dismissal.

Honestly, I'd love for Disney, or any of the other media companies going through similar things, to just come out and say "We do not fire employees because they have differing political beliefs than ours."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: November 17, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »

This could lead to a P/R topic pretty quickly.....I get what you're saying but it's no different than the hub bub that get's stirred up when a Catholic School fires a teacher for living with someone out of wedlock or something like that. Losing your job over exercising your right(s) is BS no matter when/how it happens.

Unless Disney has some specific code of conduct that she's broken.....I don't see how they can fire her. If they do it's simply giving in yet again to the cancel culture that has ravaged our society.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2480 on: November 17, 2020, 09:03:14 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me at ALL if Disney's employment agreements / COC has a very broad definition of conduct unbecoming of a Disney employee.  The restrictions they put on Park cast members is pretty fuckin tight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: November 17, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me at ALL if Disney's employment agreements / COC has a very broad definition of conduct unbecoming of a Disney employee.  The restrictions they put on Park cast members is pretty fuckin tight.

True. Again, I think her comments are ridiculous....for me this 'issue' is the fact that 'we' seemingly now have the power to rid people of their livelihoods just because we don't like what they say or do? It's insane.

If she's violated a contract then sure....but that begs the question.....would Disney have even cared if not for the whining?

Online Adami

« Reply #2482 on: November 17, 2020, 09:11:45 AM »

True. Again, I think her comments are ridiculous....for me this 'issue' is the fact that 'we' seemingly now have the power to rid people of their livelihoods just because we don't like what they say or do? It's insane.

If she's violated a contract then sure....but that begs the question.....would Disney have even cared if not for the whining?

I obviously think there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. If she tweeted "LOL the holocaust was so cool, why can't more Jews die?" I wouldn't be upset with Disney firing her for exercising her 1st amendment rights.

But this? It's dumb, for sure, but it's very much on the safe side of the line.

I doubt Disney will fire her to be honest. It's just sad, to me, that so many people want to live in a world where people who disagree with you need to be silenced. Again, not an absolute, see my above example. And this is a left and right issue, just as Kaepernick will tell ya. We all need to be more open to view points we don't agree with, though I'm fine with being less tolerant to people openly spreading hatred.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2483 on: November 17, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
But those are restrictions put on people as they're working. If she were spouting off about political stuff while doing interviews to support The Mandalorian when she's officially "on the clock" as a Disney employee, that's completely different than posting stuff on her personal social media accounts.

Online Adami

« Reply #2484 on: November 17, 2020, 09:18:39 AM »
But those are restrictions put on people as they're working. If she were spouting off about political stuff while doing interviews to support The Mandalorian when she's officially "on the clock" as a Disney employee, that's completely different than posting stuff on her personal social media accounts.

Not necessarily. Plenty of public figures have clauses about what they can/cannot do in public. I dunno exactly what that looks like today, but I know it used to be a huge thing (specifically for females). I wouldn't be surprised if a family friendly company like Disney had some clauses that prevented their people from tarnishing the Disney image.
fanticide.bandcamp.com