Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 251459 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #2380 on: October 31, 2020, 12:28:23 AM »
Outstanding start, the overall feel and quality of the show hasn't dropped one iota. Will discuss more when everyone has caught up.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #2381 on: October 31, 2020, 05:56:10 AM »
Loved it. Will give it the weekend before discussing further......but I love the tone and atmosphere of this show

Good idea.  Maybe we have a gentlemen's agreement that we go spoiler free until Monday mornings?

I still can't get over how The Child is 100% puppet/animatronics.  He's so damned real.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2382 on: October 31, 2020, 07:51:30 AM »
Loved it. Will give it the weekend before discussing further......but I love the tone and atmosphere of this show

Good idea.  Maybe we have a gentlemen's agreement that we go spoiler free until Monday mornings?

I still can't get over how The Child is 100% puppet/animatronics.  He's so damned real.

I think that’s a good idea. By Monday morning the internet will be spoiling anything of significance anyway so I think that’s a good buffer.

And you’re right on the Child. It looks like a living thing. The blend of CGI and practical effects is PERFECT in this show. And again as I mentioned and RJ pointed out.....the ‘feel’ of this show is just incredible.  Gritty yet refined.....that hint of “western” atmosphere is subtle enough to take your mind there and not be heavy handed to where it’s over the top.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: October 31, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »
Who else watched the 8 episode behind the scenes series?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #2384 on: October 31, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »

I did, I thrive on that kind of behind the scene material.

I loved all the technology and how it's being put to practical use. So many interesting things learned from that series. And it goes without saying Dave Filoni is a Wikipedia of the entire Star Wars and hopefully he's able to get a movie going.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2385 on: October 31, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
Really enjoyed the episode!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: October 31, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »

I did. Really fascinating. Especially the set that they use and that technology. Pretty remarkable stuff. But it does make you furious that they didn’t utilize Dave Filoni at all for the sequel series. He’s a living SW prophet so to speak who ‘understands’ that universe and the fact he wasn’t involved in any of that is a travesty and it shows.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2387 on: October 31, 2020, 01:20:53 PM »
Not to be a broken record, but that was a good episode! I kinda wish they would just release all the episodes at once, but I think I do enjoy the one a week release. It allows you to digest and discuss each episode better.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: October 31, 2020, 04:05:52 PM »
Not to be a broken record, but that was a good episode! I kinda wish they would just release all the episodes at once, but I think I do enjoy the one a week release. It allows you to digest and discuss each episode better.

Right?  I understand why they didn't do it last year, since they didn't want people to register, and just pay $7.99, then un-register.  This way, they get a minimum 3 months subscription out of people.  Maybe that's the same rational this year, but there is more original content on the horizon, so that reasoning doesn't hold as much weight.

@ Gary... yeah, that shit with The Volume is simply incredible.  It's the beginnings of a fuckin holodeck!

Online faizoff

« Reply #2389 on: October 31, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »

I did. Really fascinating. Especially the set that they use and that technology. Pretty remarkable stuff. But it does make you furious that they didn’t utilize Dave Filoni at all for the sequel series. He’s a living SW prophet so to speak who ‘understands’ that universe and the fact he wasn’t involved in any of that is a travesty and it shows.
That is insanely criminal to not use Filoni this season.
I mean Favreau is no slouch and is a proven filmmaker but Filoni is a level on his own.

That's extremely disappointing to hear.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: October 31, 2020, 11:54:48 PM »

I mean Favreau is no slouch and is a proven filmmaker but Filoni is a level on his own.

I was speaking about Filoni not being used in the sequel trilogy. He and Favreau are still running the Mandalorian. The lack of vision and a non cohesive story between TFA, TLJ and TROS is a clear example of people not understanding the SW universe.

The success of the Mandalorian is due to Filoni’s contribution as a SW Universe oracle and Favreau’s ability to create compelling content. Combined.....those two have recaptured the essence of SW and I’d even submit they’ve taken it to a level that Lucas didn’t even achieve with the OT.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:00:19 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: November 01, 2020, 05:54:20 AM »
Filoni:  Now *I* am the master.

:lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #2392 on: November 01, 2020, 07:29:49 AM »

I was speaking about Filoni not being used in the sequel trilogy. He and Favreau are still running the Mandalorian. The lack of vision and a non cohesive story between TFA, TLJ and TROS is a clear example of people not understanding the SW universe.

The success of the Mandalorian is due to Filoni’s contribution as a SW Universe oracle and Favreau’s ability to create compelling content. Combined.....those two have recaptured the essence of SW and I’d even submit they’ve taken it to a level that Lucas didn’t even achieve with the OT.

Ah ok, makes sense and totally agree. I am hoping that Kevin Fiege's and Taika Waititi's involvement in the standalone movies brings it the same essence as Filoni brought to the series.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2393 on: November 01, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
The Gallery series was outstanding, and I think Filoni's monologue on the importance of the Duel of the Fates and the fated arc at the end of ep2 was breathtaking. It takes some serious storytelling to keep all the other directors rapt in attention for a good seven minutes, but he did, and he left them all speechless.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:46:12 AM by lonestar »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: November 01, 2020, 09:58:27 AM »
The Gallery series was outstanding, and I think Filoni's monologue on the importance of the Duel of the Fates and the fated arc at the end of ep2 was breathtaking. It takes some serious storytelling to keep all the other directors rapt in attention for a good seven minutes, but he did, and he left them all speechless.

I was captivated by pretty much the whole series.  But yeah, Filoni is a great story teller - I guess that's what makes a great director!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mandalorian 2 - Arrives October 30th, 2020
« Reply #2395 on: November 01, 2020, 10:49:57 AM »
Ready for the new season!  My only knock is I don't like the small 30 min episodes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2396 on: November 01, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »

I was captivated by pretty much the whole series.  But yeah, Filoni is a great story teller - I guess that's what makes a great director!

Agreed. Disney needs to hand the keys over right fucking now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: November 01, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »
Ready for the new season!  My only knock is I don't like the small 30 min episodes.

Then you'll be happy to know that this season, they are closer to an hour (or so jingle.son tells me).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: November 01, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »

Then you'll be happy to know that this season, they are closer to an hour (or so jingle.son tells me).

Yeah. First episode was 50ish minutes. I hope they’re all That  long.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2399 on: November 01, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »
We started watching the Gallery series, too, and that monologue by Filoni was amazing.  As others have said, the guy gets it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: November 01, 2020, 08:20:15 PM »
We started watching the Gallery series, too, and that monologue by Filoni was amazing.  As others have said, the guy gets it.

I mean, anyone who can make you see that deep into what most of us just see as a kickass lightsaber contest, that's someone thinking on a whole different level.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: November 01, 2020, 10:13:30 PM »

I do know this guy from Adam and haven't watched any of these SW series, but I feel a good storyteller is a good storyteller, regardless of what type of story he or she is trying to tell. I do not know if that translates to being a good director though, since that position requires a lot of management and administrative tasks along with storytelling.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: November 01, 2020, 10:51:01 PM »
OK it’s late and i know I won’t be able to post much tomorrow so I want to get this thought out there.

That was not Boba Fett at the end of the episode. I think they want you to believe that given his armor wa
Shown and that is the actor who played him.....but, I’m willing to be that is Rex.

If they’re bringing in Ashoka it’d make sense that Rex would be the one to help find her. Or, he may end up telling Mando he knows someone who can help him find the Child’s kind.

Boba would be very old anyway.....I just think it makes sense that’d be Rex.

I loved the added element of making the sand people more than just raiders and killers.....‘humanizing’ then if you will. I liked that there was no double cross element to the deal made with Mando for the armor. That’d have been easy and expected to do.

Anyway I wanted to Throw my small font point out there and see if anyone else was thinking that same thing?

Online faizoff

« Reply #2403 on: November 02, 2020, 05:14:16 AM »
I liked that too about giving more depth to the raiders, my friends on the other hand were very disappointed saying its just fan service and forced nostalgia. I disagreed and said that their inclusion at least helps with the episode story.

As far as the ending going, I'm willing to wait to find out for sure because I think it lays into the obvious conclusion using the same actor from before.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: November 02, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
I loved the angle with the Raiders.  Goes to show you simply can't judge a book by it's cover, and Anakin simply jumping to conclusions and looking for ways to justify his rage

As for Boba vs Rex.  Interesting thought, and a bit of a twist of an angle.  My first thought was, Mandalorian armour or not, he's still a Mandalorian, so why is allowing his face to be shown?  As for the age, Boba was what, 11, 12 in AotC, which is officially 22 years BBY, and this series is said to be 9 years after ABY, right?  So Boba would be mid-40s?

Terrumo himself is 60 years old, so it's not a stretch.  However, imdb credits him as Boba Fett, so the theory is pretty much shot.  :biggrin:  Unless the show is trying to work the fans as well.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Mandalorian 2 - Official Thread
« Reply #2405 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:44 AM »
The Mandalorian is getting discussed both in here and in the Star Wars thread. Anyone have an issue if I merge the two threads together?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: November 02, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
However, imdb credits him as Boba Fett, so the theory is pretty much shot.  :biggrin:  Unless the show is trying to work the fans as well.

I'm not putting too much stock into that single IMDB listing just yet. It's difficult to envision the role Boba Fett would play in the story being told?  Other than being a Mandalorian and a Fan favorite he's out of place. 'If' the rumors are true and Ahsoka is indeed making an appearance this season....it makes entirely more sense for that to have been Rex. This show has yet to disappoint so even if it remains that it is 'just' Boba Fett....I'm sure it'll tie into the story somehow other than the generic he's also a mandalorian. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: November 02, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
Merge away.....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: November 02, 2020, 11:11:12 AM »
Merge away.....

Bring two together as one.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2409 on: November 02, 2020, 11:15:43 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: November 02, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2412 on: November 02, 2020, 01:18:47 PM »
I really hope it's Rex or just another random surviving clone trooper rather than Boba Fett.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: November 02, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
I really hope it's Rex or just another random surviving clone trooper rather than Boba Fett.

I guess if it's not either of them it could be Gregor.....but if it's not Boba then Rex makes the most sense being he and Ahsoka were last seen together. All the other Clone troopers still had the chips in their heads and were used as the first wave of storm troopers.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: November 02, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
Timothy Olyphant was pretty good as well....he typically gives a solid effort in all the roles he has. Fun fact....the bartender in the episode was played by Earl Brown......who played Dan Dority in 'Deadwood'. So there was a little reunion going on set as well.