Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248194 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #2345 on: September 11, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
KOTOR would be an excellent idea of where to set future movies.  It's not like the baseline of technology hasn't already been set by the gaming franchises.  The 'Old' Republic may have been 'old' in years passed, but wasn't necessarily 'old' in technology.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #2346 on: September 11, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
"Game Of Thrones" set in the Star Wars Universe.

House Skywalker, House Palpatine, a bunch of incest, and some killing.  I'd watch that.

Yes, and

KOTOR would be an excellent idea of where to set future movies.  It's not like the baseline of technology hasn't already been set by the gaming franchises.  The 'Old' Republic may have been 'old' in years passed, but wasn't necessarily 'old' in technology.

yes!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2347 on: September 15, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
Season 2 trailer (Mandalorian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7Twd85m2g

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2348 on: September 16, 2020, 07:27:04 AM »
Looks good!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2349 on: September 16, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »
Looks good!

Yeah......looks like it doesn't miss a beat. Also.....I think there was some slight of hand going on with that 'jedi' in the dark cloak scene. I think they want us to think that was Ahsoka but that wasn't Rosario Dawson.....it 'resembled' her but it wasn't her. Unless Dawson isn't playing Ahsoka.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2350 on: September 16, 2020, 01:37:10 PM »
Looks good!

Yeah......looks like it doesn't miss a beat. Also.....I think there was some slight of hand going on with that 'jedi' in the dark cloak scene. I think they want us to think that was Ahsoka but that wasn't Rosario Dawson.....it 'resembled' her but it wasn't her. Unless Dawson isn't playing Ahsoka.
No sleight of hand, and they don't want you to think that was Ahsoka.  That wasn't Rosario Dawson, it was WWE talent Sasha Banks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: September 16, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »
Looks good!

No sleight of hand, and they don't want you to think that was Ahsoka.  That wasn't Rosario Dawson, it was WWE talent Sasha Banks.

Cool. Not familiar with her.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2352 on: September 17, 2020, 08:10:39 AM »
I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I don’t know why Rey’s heritage was such a focal point with people. It shouldn’t have had any bearing on the story whatsoever.

I know it became a hug plot point in The Last Jedi, but was it a thing in The Force Awakens? I can't remember. Or was The Last Jedi stuff just a response to fans wanting to know?

I'd rather Rey hadn't been anyone special. It would have made her story better if she was prevailing based on her own talents and abilities rather than because of her bloodline. Besides, it would have subverted the whole "Chosen One" trope that's been done to death.
Oh, and her resurrection was a bit of a cop out - she should have stayed dead.

I feel it was brought up just because of the Luke/Vader arc and people assumed it was important who Rey’s parents were. I for one didn’t care.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2353 on: September 17, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »
Sidenote: This is probably the best interpretation of John Williams music i've ever heard.

John Williams & Vienna Philharmonic – Williams: Imperial March (from “Star Wars”)

Every instrument section is just flawless as far as I can tell. I think my favourite part is just the last few bars with the subtle ritardando, it's so tight and in sync it's almost not noticable.  :tup
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:24:37 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2354 on: September 19, 2020, 05:22:42 AM »
Finished watching through the Resistance series. Clearly it was meant for younger audiences given its Y7 rating and the more childish humor. It was enjoyable because its Star Wars, but otherwise it's pretty unnecessary in grand scheme of Star Wars material.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
Finished watching through the Resistance series. Clearly it was meant for younger audiences given its Y7 rating and the more childish humor. It was enjoyable because its Star Wars, but otherwise it's pretty unnecessary in grand scheme of Star Wars material.

Yeah......I just can't do it. Clone Wars started rather simple and geared towards kids but it evolved as it went on to a solid series that was worth the watch. Resistance just doesn't have that appeal or promise for me to invest the time. Plus, I'm not all that interested in those characters.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2356 on: September 19, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »

Yeah......I just can't do it. Clone Wars started rather simple and geared towards kids but it evolved as it went on to a solid series that was worth the watch. Resistance just doesn't have that appeal or promise for me to invest the time. Plus, I'm not all that interested in those characters.
I wasn't really invested in the characters either. I generally had it on in the background while I was working, so I caught the basic plot, but wasn't watching in great detail. Although Clone Wars and Rebels were the same way and I enjoyed those a lot more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2357 on: October 01, 2020, 02:13:54 PM »
I couldn't get very far into Rebels.  I thought Clone Wars was hit and miss, with the good episodes sometimes being REALLY good, but the bad ones being really bad.  A few episodes into Rebels, and it seems to pretty consistently be as good as the lower-tier Clone Wars stuff. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2358 on: October 01, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »
Rebels get's really good. I think it's easily on par with the best Clone Wars.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: October 01, 2020, 02:40:11 PM »
Rebels get's really good. I think it's easily on par with the best Clone Wars.

Agreed. I’d say Rebels was a more solid series overall because there was no real ‘weak’ parts. There was good, better and awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2361 on: October 16, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
Anyone seen the Uber Eats commercials with Mark Hammill and Patrick Stewart?   I think they're funny.    "I AM my daddy... wait, wut?"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2362 on: October 16, 2020, 06:21:13 PM »
Anyone seen the Uber Eats commercials with Mark Hammill and Patrick Stewart?   I think they're funny.    "I AM my daddy... wait, wut?"

Very funny commercials. Sir Patrick is one funny dude.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2363 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »
Mrs. Orbert couldn't resist the deal that Disney+ was offerring, so we started watching The Mandalorian.  We're four episodes in so far, and it's really good.

When it first started, there was a huge buzz about it, and of course "Baby Yoda" memes all over the place, so I've been basically avoiding this thread ever since, because I always intended to check it out and didn't want to be spoiled.  Apparently they're already done three seasons and are getting ready to drop the fourth, so I guess I have to go back to avoiding this thread.

Anyway, The Mandalorian is really good so far.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2364 on: October 27, 2020, 04:18:20 PM »
Season 2 comes out Friday. They may have confirmed future seasons, but you’ll be caught up by this weekend.

Also, been watching the behind the scenes series. Some stuff flew over my head, but for the most part it’s been quite fascinating.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: October 27, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
I wonder what the next STAR WARS movie will be ?

Even though after TROS i'm done with SW.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2366 on: October 27, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
I wonder what the next STAR WARS movie will be ?

Even though after TROS i'm done with SW.

This post contradicts itself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: October 27, 2020, 04:28:31 PM »
Nah I can still WONDER what the next film will be despite not wanting to pay money to see it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2368 on: October 27, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
Nah I can still WONDER what the next film will be despite not wanting to pay money to see it.

You and I have different definitions of “I’m done”

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2369 on: October 27, 2020, 05:28:35 PM »
Season 2 comes out Friday. They may have confirmed future seasons, but you’ll be caught up by this weekend.

Also, been watching the behind the scenes series. Some stuff flew over my head, but for the most part it’s been quite fascinating.

That's what I thought, but obviously there's some kind of conspiracy to keep Orbert clueless regarding The Mandalorian.  When we pull it up on Disney+, we can select Season 1, Season 2, or Season 3.  I never actually looked to see what there was for Seasons 2 or 3.  I checked on IMDb, and they list Seasons 1 through 3 as well.  I just checked, and those are just placeholders.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2370 on: October 27, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
If I were Disney I would take a good look at the previous expanded universe and pick the best story/stories and adjust one or more to fit in the new canon. There are dozens of them. Preferably one far removed from the Skywalker timeline.

Instead of them making safe remake-esque sequels (ep 7 and 9) or experimental trainwrecks (ep 8), I'd now rather see them adapt a cool existing story presented as a blockbuster film. At least until someone comes along with a great new script of a defined story before any production starts. It is painfully clear there was no real gameplan for the latest trilogy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: October 28, 2020, 04:56:21 AM »

I'm done with paying to see the films in the cinema. I can still wonder what films are coming out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2372 on: October 28, 2020, 05:37:58 AM »

I'm done with paying to see the films in the cinema. I can still wonder what films are coming out.

That clarifies things.  You'd said "I'm done with SW" earlier, without any specificity about what you were 'done' with.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: October 28, 2020, 10:28:03 AM »
The SW franchise can be easily saved if the ‘suites’ stay out of the decision making process and let the people who know the lore and the SW universe make movies.

I and others have said it a hundred times. Give the creative and story decision making for the SW movies to Dave Filoni......he eats sleeps and breathes SW and knows the universe even better than Lucas at this point.  Allow him to craft the direction and stories going forward with people like Favreau as a partner and there’d be no more things like a trilogy with no plan happening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2374 on: October 30, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
Dayum!  Great episode.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mandalorian 2 - Arrives October 30th, 2020
« Reply #2375 on: October 30, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
It airs today right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2376 on: October 30, 2020, 08:33:36 PM »
Already watched. Dayum fine episode.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2377 on: October 30, 2020, 08:37:26 PM »
Agreed, fantastic episode and leaves me wanting more right away. Looks like they didn't miss a beat.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2378 on: October 30, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
Agreed!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2379 on: October 30, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
Loved it. Will give it the weekend before discussing further......but I love the tone and atmosphere of this show