Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248160 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #2310 on: September 09, 2020, 08:07:05 AM »
So apparently, according to Daisy, the idea of her being a Palpatine was extremely last minute and they never knew til then who she was supposed to be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #2311 on: September 09, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »
I mean the latest Trilogy isn't without it's issues, and certainly made some weird decisions plot wise......but i'd still take them over the prequels - Menace and Clones are awful movies.

Same here. But like I said, I really liked the sequel trilogy.....it was a fun trilogy and visually stunning. But outside of Kylo Ren there isn't another character that had any type of real growth or journey or that I felt any sort of 'connection' with.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2312 on: September 09, 2020, 08:56:25 AM »
So apparently, according to Daisy, the idea of her being a Palpatine was extremely last minute and they never knew til then who she was supposed to be.

Wow big shock, it was a slapdash decision that makes absolutely no sense! I can't believe it! :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2313 on: September 09, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »
That just goes to show yet again that the sequel trilogy's biggest problem was lack of a unified vision and lack of a plan for the overarching plot.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2314 on: September 09, 2020, 02:33:45 PM »
The thing that kills me is that the reason given is to show that "anyone can be anything no matter where they come from." Which is fine... if it made sense, or didn't take a hot wet dump on the Skywalker story.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2315 on: September 09, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »
That just goes to show yet again that the sequel trilogy's biggest problem was lack of a unified vision and lack of a plan for the overarching plot.

Considering Star Wars is one of the largest and best known franchises in the world, the fact that there WAS NO overarching plot idea is absolutely insane to think about. Plan things in advance, FFS.  Yet here we are.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2316 on: September 09, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
The thing that kills me is that the reason given is to show that "anyone can be anything no matter where they come from." Which is fine... if it made sense, or didn't take a hot wet dump on the Skywalker story.

Fine, I guess, and I'm usually on board with that notion as a general sense, but I'm not looking to the Skywalker clan for life lessons and affirmations.  I'm more in tune with the more classic Joseph Campbell mythology of the hero.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: September 09, 2020, 03:07:37 PM »

Fine, I guess, and I'm usually on board with that notion as a general sense, but I'm not looking to the Skywalker clan for life lessons and affirmations.  I'm more in tune with the more classic Joseph Campbell mythology of the hero.

I don't get the Joseph Campbell reference (that's my own fault, I know he's relevant to the Star Wars thematic discussion), but I too am not looking to the Skywalker clan for life lessons and affirmations. Rey being a Palpatine is already a stupid thing to run with, but then to have her take the Skywalker name of her own volition? After they've all died? And she's a Palpatine by blood? Bruh. The Skywalker Saga was fine after 6 movies - for it to end with all the Skywalkers dead and then a Palpatine choosing to take the name, and being some kind of ultimate Jedi, I dunno man. It doesn't make sense other than 'hooray feel good ending' to me. But I'll leave it there cause I'll never not be salty about this awful trilogy. :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2318 on: September 09, 2020, 03:17:45 PM »
Rogue One is still a great movie, though.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2319 on: September 09, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »

I don't get the Joseph Campbell reference (that's my own fault, I know he's relevant to the Star Wars thematic discussion), but I too am not looking to the Skywalker clan for life lessons and affirmations. Rey being a Palpatine is already a stupid thing to run with, but then to have her take the Skywalker name of her own volition? After they've all died? And she's a Palpatine by blood? Bruh. The Skywalker Saga was fine after 6 movies - for it to end with all the Skywalkers dead and then a Palpatine choosing to take the name, and being some kind of ultimate Jedi, I dunno man. It doesn't make sense other than 'hooray feel good ending' to me. But I'll leave it there cause I'll never not be salty about this awful trilogy. :P

Joseph Campbell is - was - a professor and author that wrote extensively on the mythology of the hero.  His most famous book is "The Hero With A Thousand Faces", which basically walked through the similarities and the symbology of the various heroes throughout history. It was the introduction of the concept of "comparative mythology".   George Lucas actually named Campbell as an influence on the original trilogy. 

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2320 on: September 10, 2020, 03:33:47 AM »
I mean the latest Trilogy isn't without it's issues, and certainly made some weird decisions plot wise......but i'd still take them over the prequels - Menace and Clones are awful movies.

Same here. But like I said, I really liked the sequel trilogy.....it was a fun trilogy and visually stunning. But outside of Kylo Ren there isn't another character that had any type of real growth or journey or that I felt any sort of 'connection' with.

Agreed! Kylo Ren was easily the standout character of this trilogy, and the one that actually got a complete character arc throughout the three films.

And yes, Menace and Clones are not only the worst SW movies, they are also some of the worst films I've ever seen.

That much is very apparent, yes!

Like I said, I enjoyed the sequel trilogy but it could have been much better, if some things would have been planned in advance.

I wonder if they could shake the Lucasfilm leadership, and put some lore nerd like Filoni in charge of the creative decisions. Have KK be in charge of the financial side of things, and Filoni make the decisions regarding the future shows and movies.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2321 on: September 10, 2020, 06:38:06 AM »
From what I read, they kinda wanted to emulate George when he did the original trilogy and didn't have a whole set plan when doing a trilogy. Plus JJ never intended to be around for the next two movies so he just started things and passed on to the next set of people.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2322 on: September 10, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
I wonder if they could shake the Lucasfilm leadership, and put some lore nerd like Filoni in charge of the creative decisions. Have KK be in charge of the financial side of things, and Filoni make the decisions regarding the future shows and movies.

I don’t understand why Disney hasn’t done this yet. It’s fairly evident that Filoni is a Lucas disciple and holds the lore and history of SW sacred.....and understands how to craft the stories and characters accordingly. He’s literally custom fit for the role of mapping out the future of SW.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2323 on: September 10, 2020, 08:09:57 AM »
From what I read, they kinda wanted to emulate George when he did the original trilogy and didn't have a whole set plan when doing a trilogy. Plus JJ never intended to be around for the next two movies so he just started things and passed on to the next set of people.

You can have both, though; just because JJ didn't intend to be around for the next two movies doesn't mean that there can't be an arc or a framework.   Harry Potter. Bond.  Any of ten or more other "franchise" efforts.   I wouldn't really be interested in a ton of reconned reboots, like Spider-Man, but you can have continuity in story while still having fluidity and creativity in the feel, narrative and visuals. 

"Rey as a Skywalker/Palpatine" is a pretty broad, fundamental component; you can still take that and go in a multitude of directions.  Just look at how Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, the droids, etc. were incorporated; they didn't go and make Luke a hippy lesbian marijuana farmer, and yet there was growth and evolution in that character.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2324 on: September 10, 2020, 08:21:29 AM »

You can have both, though; just because JJ didn't intend to be around for the next two movies doesn't mean that there can't be an arc or a framework.   Harry Potter. Bond.  Any of ten or more other "franchise" efforts.   I wouldn't really be interested in a ton of reconned reboots, like Spider-Man, but you can have continuity in story while still having fluidity and creativity in the feel, narrative and visuals. 

Yeah, you can, and you're not wrong in general, but they massively failed on the execution here. That is the problem, not the principle behind wanting to emulate George... Shoddy framework, poor planning, awful execution, last minute decisions, masked by an enormous budget and incredible effects and hand-waving away plotholes by moving at warp speed from one plot point to the next (the Sith dagger, anyone?). "What happened with the-" "Who cares, move on, no time to explain, just watch, hey look Force lightning, Palpatine, ten million star destroyers WHOA!!"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2325 on: September 10, 2020, 09:22:22 AM »
I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I don’t know why Rey’s heritage was such a focal point with people. It shouldn’t have had any bearing on the story whatsoever.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Adami

« Reply #2326 on: September 10, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I don’t know why Rey’s heritage was such a focal point with people. It shouldn’t have had any bearing on the story whatsoever.

I know it became a hug plot point in The Last Jedi, but was it a thing in The Force Awakens? I can't remember. Or was The Last Jedi stuff just a response to fans wanting to know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2327 on: September 10, 2020, 09:49:28 AM »

Yeah, exactly.  And this new "revelation" is something we knew all along, so not sure what the big deal is.  Could the movies have been better if there was more of a pre-planned framework in place ahead of time?  Yeah, probably.  But it is what it is.  You either like the films or you don't.  No need to conjure up outrage over a nonstory. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2328 on: September 10, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »

I know it became a hug plot point in The Last Jedi, but was it a thing in The Force Awakens? I can't remember. Or was The Last Jedi stuff just a response to fans wanting to know?

I feel it was brought up just because of the Luke/Vader arc and people assumed it was important who Rey’s parents were. I for one didn’t care.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2329 on: September 10, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
Well, wait a second; George's idea that it is one large "buddy movie" (the droids), isn't the nine-part saga essentially the "Skywalker Story"?   If so, then Rey's heritage is a huge part of that, and going outside the fam so to speak kind of makes a mockery of that. 

Online Adami

« Reply #2330 on: September 10, 2020, 11:35:43 AM »
Well, wait a second; George's idea that it is one large "buddy movie" (the droids), isn't the nine-part saga essentially the "Skywalker Story"?   If so, then Rey's heritage is a huge part of that, and going outside the fam so to speak kind of makes a mockery of that.

But as a Palpatine, it’s not about that. Could’ve made her Rey Tarkin to the same effect.

The Skywalker element was in Kylo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2331 on: September 10, 2020, 11:39:37 AM »

But as a Palpatine, it’s not about that. Could’ve made her Rey Tarkin to the same effect.

I'm in over my head here; I need to shut up about overarching themes of movies I haven't seen.  :) :)   

Online Adami

« Reply #2332 on: September 10, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »

I'm in over my head here; I need to shut up about overarching themes of movies I haven't seen.  :) :)

I’m considering this such a huge (and ultimately meaningless) victory that I’m not even going to change your name.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2333 on: September 10, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
 :tup

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2334 on: September 10, 2020, 02:54:55 PM »
Yeah the theme is fine but tackled better in The Last Jedi where her parents were supposed to be nobodies. Retconning that and making her a Palpatine for SPECTACLE is basically the same as the problems that Game of Thrones suffered from in the end - too much focus on shocks and events and not enough on narrative flow and coherence.

On the other hand:

I mean, this just seems to me like a really weird thing to be upset about.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2335 on: September 10, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »
Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think it's weird at all to be upset with it; it's an incredibly important detail in the Skywalker Saga which is 9 movies and several decades long, but it's completely unnecessary and was thrown in at the last minute. It's exactly like if you read it in a series of books and it came out of nowhere and in the last 100 pages of book 3 there was zero lead-up to the reveal in any of the rest of the trilogy. Imagine if an author did all this reckless writing. It would be equally valid to tear that apart because it doesn't make sense. Just because it's fantasy or popcorn entertainment doesn't mean internal logic should go out the window, that's my entire problem with the trilogy and it bothers me when people say it's weird to be upset with these things. (And you pretty much nailed it when replying to the first quote; we seem to be on the same page, mostly.)

And I have said this before but I'll leave it there. Until the next day. Every day is a new day. It may be six months from now, but I will return, with robotic limbs even, just like Darth Maul.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:09:14 PM by The Walrus »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2336 on: September 10, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
I hope they do The Old Republic for their next set of movies
No, God, please, no.  No more prequels.

Please, let's move forward in time.  Let's see what happens next.  I don't care to see visualizations of things that happened before.  Let the backstory remain backstory.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2337 on: September 10, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »
Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think it's weird at all to be upset with it; it's an incredibly important detail in the Skywalker Saga which is 9 movies and several decades long, but it's completely unnecessary and was thrown in at the last minute. It's exactly like if you read it in a series of books and it came out of nowhere and in the last 100 pages of book 3 there was zero lead-up to the reveal in any of the rest of the trilogy. Imagine if an author did all this reckless writing. It would be equally valid to tear that apart because it doesn't make sense. Just because it's fantasy or popcorn entertainment doesn't mean internal logic should go out the window, that's my entire problem with the trilogy and it bothers me when people say it's weird to be upset with these things. (And you pretty much nailed it when replying to the first quote; we seem to be on the same page, mostly.)

And I have said this before but I'll leave it there. Until the next day. Every day is a new day. It may be six months from now, but I will return, with robotic limbs even, just like Darth Maul.  :lol

It's incredibly hard to do, but those skilled with narrative seem to find a way all the time, but there's nothing more rewarding than a plot twist (remember when "reveals" were still called "plot twists"?) that you had no idea was coming, but then, on further reflection, there was really no other logical conclusion?   Love those.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2338 on: September 10, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »

I agree in terms of it not really making much narrative sense, so perhaps I should have been more targeted with what I quoted from your previous post but I specifically meant the fact that you seem bothered by the fact that the Skywalkers are all dead and Rey, a Palpatine by blood, has taken it on as a title. I dunno, I guess I don't really understand what why those things in themselves would be a problem, whereas I do understand the complaints about the coherence of the story and characterisation.

It's like in Game of Thrones, some people were really upset with the outcomes at the end in terms of what characters ended up where etc. but again I can't relate to that - the problems were similarly the logic and coherence of the storytelling.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2339 on: September 10, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »
Not to digress, and at least I watched the whole thing so I can comment, but GoT, the "where the characters ended up" was intrinsically tied to the logic and cohesiveness of storytelling, at least for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2340 on: September 10, 2020, 10:37:42 PM »

Please, let's move forward in time.  Let's see what happens next.  I don't care to see visualizations of things that happened before.  Let the backstory remain backstory.

I would generally agree with you, but I assume Walrus meant something along the lines of several hundreds (or thousands) of years prior to Eps 1-9. Like if you watched a series about WWI, then WWII, and then watched a series about the Renaissance.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

« Reply #2341 on: September 10, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »

I would generally agree with you, but I assume Walrus meant something along the lines of several hundreds (or thousands) of years prior to Eps 1-9. Like if you watched a series about WWI, then WWII, and then watched a series about the Renaissance.

I think one issue is that, I’m willing to bet, the tech and aesthetics of the old republic will look at least as advanced as the newer movies. It’ll be old in name only and won’t feel any different. It’s an issue with sci-fi prequels in general. So I also say go forward into unexplored territory.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2342 on: September 10, 2020, 11:23:35 PM »

I think one issue is that, I’m willing to bet, the tech and aesthetics of the old republic will look at least as advanced as the newer movies. It’ll be old in name only and won’t feel any different. It’s an issue with sci-fi prequels in general. So I also say go forward into unexplored territory.

I am not a big sci-fi guy so can't speak to that being an issue with the genre, but your point is sound. It can't feel too different, or else it is out of the realm of the franchise; but it can't feel too similar either, as you stated. It's a tough line to walk, and apparently is not handled well often. It's not fair to compare a game to a film, but Knights of the Old Republic feels like it is in the Star Wars universe, but if feels different enough to stand on its own merits.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2343 on: September 10, 2020, 11:29:48 PM »
Yeah Chris, that's exactly what I was getting at. Although I agree with Adami to an extent as well - I would still love to get some Old Republic trilogy action someday.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2344 on: September 11, 2020, 06:05:08 AM »
"Game Of Thrones" set in the Star Wars Universe.

House Skywalker, House Palpatine, a bunch of incest, and some killing.  I'd watch that.