Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248126 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Kathleen Kennedy has basically been stripped of all creative power. Her decisions with the sequels were horrific and the Disney brass has basically put her in a corner....

What metrics are they using? I've said this here jokingly before, but it's a strange world when a film with a $275 million budget rakes in $1+ billion at the box office and it's considered a failure. I know there is much more going on in the SW universe than Eps 7-9, but from a purely financial aspect, imagine having your film make $1+ billion and your bosses say "yeah, you really don't have a clue what you are doing..." And I don't follow this stuff, but had no idea her control was that great.

I think that's a good point of view, but not one shared by studios. It's missing the context they look for.

This wasn't Rogue One or Solo. This was the final Skywalker saga movie. Theoretically, they should've been able to film George Lucas reading the script on the toilet and make 2-3 billion dollars. This is pretty soon after the end of the Infinity Stone saga (one not nearly as deep in the culture lexicon) made almost 3 billion dollars.

So a Star Wars movie making $1+ billion on a $275 million budget is great, the final one in the Skywalker saga doing it isn't quite as impressive.

Keep in mind that Joker, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Iron Man 3, Incredibles 2, and Beauty of the Beast....among almost 30 other films made more money than it. I think that's why it's considered a disappointment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
I think Kennedy has really sunk Star Wars much like Titanic and I feel the biggest difference between the SWU and the MCU for example is the latter has Kevin Feige. Someone who oversees everything and has an idea of how to play things out and release individual puzzle pieces that work on their own but also when combined the whole picture is something great.

You can talk about how the movies haven't quite lived up to the hopes and expectations. In my own opinion Force Awakens is the only Disney SW movie I genuinely like and the rest has various different issues, but just setting aside my own opinions and looking at it a bit more neutrally, Last Jedi was very divisive among fans and you could argue Rise of Skywalker was even worse in that regard. The biggest issue whether you like the films or not was the lack of planning and it's just very clear when watching these films that Rian Johnson made choices in TLJ that went against what JJ had planned in TFA, and then when JJ came back for RoS you could tell by the choices made in that film. It's like a tag team challenge with people wanting completely different things.

Outside of how the movies went there's also been a ton of mistakes made behind the scenes. Solo having to switch director mid-filming. Rian Johnson getting a trilogy before TLJ and then having that pulled after a lot of the criticism towards TLJ. Then giving a trilogy to the GoT guys which also went away shortly after the enormous backlash to the last season of GoT. Kennedy is someone who in the past has been known for making the right calls and getting the right people into projects and now that track record looks pretty bad. You can have bad luck and you might have to make changes but in this case there's been way too many situations like that in a short amount of time.

I think that this is a great summary, and I am pretty much on board. However, I would like to add one caveat: The Star Wars fan base. While Disney has failed spectacularly in many areas, I also think that they have a real dumpster fire on their hands when it comes to the audience. There is a unique combination of different age groups, different expectations, and wildly inconsistent outrage that is almost impossible to navigate. For example, there was a loud group of people that disliked VII because it was too similar to the old movies, and then an even louder group that disliked VIII because it was too dissimilar. Maybe I have become a pessimistic old fogey, but I often wonder whether the fine line is too fine.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:56:28 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I think that's why it's considered a disappointment.

What's disappointing as a fan is finding out after the fact that there was never a cohesive single vision mapped out for the three films. I know that Lucas back in the day didn't have or do that.....but there is literally no excuse for Disney not to have hired and have in place the right writers/directors etc etc for them to have sit down back in the beginning and have the whole sequel trilogy mapped out to where it was one vision.

That being said.....and for the 'complaining' I seem to be doing......I liked all three of the films. I just think they missed an opportunity to do something special.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.

What's disappointing as a fan is finding out after the fact that there was never a cohesive single vision mapped out for the three films. I know that Lucas back in the day didn't have or do that.....but there is literally no excuse for Disney not to have hired and have in place the right writers/directors etc etc for them to have sit down back in the beginning and have the whole sequel trilogy mapped out to where it was one vision.

That being said.....and for the 'complaining' I seem to be doing......I liked all three of the films. I just think they missed an opportunity to do something special.
I pretty much completely agree with this post.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson

I pretty much completely agree with this post.

I agree with TOX....there is an element of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" with the fan base of this franchise.

I agree with GMD as well.  I enjoyed all the movies.  Had a lot of fun watching them.  But yes...a missed opportunity for something greater there was.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline kaos2900

I still feel that if they simply added a couple of extra minutes of details around the Emperor and his return in Rise of Skywalker that the film would have been significantly better. Maybe they plan on addressing that in a future show?

Offline ErHaO

So perhaps some controversial opinions here:

Saw six episodes of The Mandolorian and... I thought episodes 4-6 were pretty bad? First 3 were ace though. Oddly enough I also feel the titular character feels incompetent way too many times. Like really almost every battle he gets shot, hit or caught of guard, only to be saved by something convenient in his surrounding or just his great armor. Dunno, sometimes it annoyed me a bit. I get the approach of making the hero struggle before winning but I don't really buy this guy being such a great mercenary at all.

And I watched Solo and... really enjoyed it? Well paced, some cool setpieces, decent set of characters and actually better fanservice than the latest trilogy (because this is a film about fan favourites, rather than cramming the fan favourites in there for no real reason).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
The last couple episodes of the Mandalorian were great. Yeah the middle ones weren't spectacular.

I also really enjoyed Solo.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
My only issue with the Mandalorian was the episode lengths. I think/wish they should have been/be at least an hour.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Solo was surprisingly good.  Not sure why it uncharacteristically dumbed things down by a magnitude of thousands during that brief moment where he got his last name.  But other than that brief moment of stupid, it was pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I've said it here before on multiple occasions, but I'll say it again. I am bummed that Solo did as poorly at the box office as it did. It deserved to do better. I'm sad we won't see the sequels that I'm sure were being planned.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I started watching The Mandalorian, without really knowing anything about it. I was surprised how short the episodes were. I kinda like it as I usually have small pockets of time where I can watch TV.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
So, just finished Clone Wars. 

As a whole, this series is such a mess.  Sometimes, it is really good.  Other times, it is really bad.  But all in all, the good far outweighs the bad, and I enjoyed it.  And for the most part, seasons 6 and 7 were pretty good.  To push back a little bit on a couple of comments I have seen Gary make:

Season 7 is not "some of the best content in all of Star Wars."  Season 7 is kind of a microcosm of the entire show.  When it was good, it was really good.  Other times, it wasn't.  Or it just meandered.  And that's okay.  But what was cool is that season 7 tied up a LOT of different storylines in a pretty satisfying way.  And right at the end when it started to tie directly into events of Revenge of the Sith, it was probably the best content of the series

Ahsoka is not the best character.  ...or maybe she is, and that's just not saying a lot about the characters as a whole?  There were times when she was outright annoying, including in season 7.  But overall, she had a good story arc that ended on a pretty satisfying note. 

Some of my favorite arcs in the series were the stuff with Ventriss, Maul, and the late season 7 stuff.  Where I think the series missed opportunities though was with Anakin.  They definitely fleshed out the character more and planted more seeds of his turning.  But by the same token, given what they could have done with that, I think they missed a lot of opportunities. 

Anyhow, I give it a thumbs up overall.  Will probably check out rebels next, but not sure when.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah.....I think you and I Bosk will just have to respectfully disagree about some things with TCW's. I agree as a whole the series is far from perfect and there are too many filler and dud episodes....but.....

Season 7 is not "some of the best content in all of Star Wars."  Season 7 is kind of a microcosm of the entire show.  When it was good, it was really good.  Other times, it wasn't.  Or it just meandered.  And that's okay.  But what was cool is that season 7 tied up a LOT of different storylines in a pretty satisfying way.  And right at the end when it started to tie directly into events of Revenge of the Sith, it was probably the best content of the series

Outside of the 'sisters' story arc with Ahsoka S7 was pretty solid and I'll stick by 'some of the best content SW has to offer'. From the Score to the characters was far more interesting to me than any of the prequels (outside of the last half of ROTS)  The last (4) episodes alone were better than the first two and a half prequel films. The only downside to them is that you pretty much have to watch the whole series to truly appreciate those last four episodes where with the prequels you can just watch the films (and be bored out of your mind most of the time)

Ahsoka is not the best character.  ...or maybe she is, and that's just not saying a lot about the characters as a whole?  There were times when she was outright annoying, including in season 7.  But overall, she had a good story arc that ended on a pretty satisfying note. 

I'll debate all day long over Ahsoka's character......Entirely more developed and overall just a 'better' character than Rey for sure.....not to mention more skilled and better force weilder than her.......and next to Anakin and Obi Wan she's one of the 'main' three character's of the show.....her and Anakin being 'tied' almost and Obi Wan a close second. There's simply no way of watching where she started to where she ended and not realizing what a strong Jedi and character she is. There's really no denying her skill, power and wisdom and that she's one of the top Jedi that we've seen. You can try to make arguments against it....you can say that her character didn't personally connect with you.....but the fact remains that would put folks with that opinion in the very small minority....and that's ok....It's just not true  :biggrin:

Some of my favorite arcs in the series were the stuff with Ventriss, Maul, and the late season 7 stuff.  Where I think the series missed opportunities though was with Anakin.  They definitely fleshed out the character more and planted more seeds of his turning.  But by the same token, given what they could have done with that, I think they missed a lot of opportunities. 

Ventriss is a pretty awesome character.....and learning more about her according to cannon is interesting as well. Maul will always be one of the top characters also. His 'look' and power make him a really fun character. Plus, he can be likable which is hard to do with an 'evil' character. Interesting tid bit about Maul according to Filoni when there was a debate about who really 'won' the dual between he and Ahsoka.......if you notice.....in every Light Saber battle he's in he is clearly the most gifted and talented saber duelist. But the reason he loses almost all those battles is because of his over confidence. His overconfidence defeats him every time.

Not sure what opportunities you think they missed with Anakin? Way more developed and deep than the prequel Anakin. We got to see many different sides of him....watch him get manipulated by Palpatine for a long period of time....actually get to see him 'be' the near invincible Jedi Knight and fighter pilot that was alluded to in the OT. Sure, maybe there could be things that could have been added but I don't think they 'missed' anything. Nothing went unexplained.....they added more depth and dimension to a character that was just a fly by in the prequels. I said it before and will stick to it.....Clone War Anakain IS Anakin.....the prequel character was just a place holder. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I finally got around to watching The Rise of Skywalker last night. I thought it was quite fun and despite the film being out for months already, I'm surprised to say that I didn't see ANY spoilers whatsoever (this is mostly due to me avoiding spoilers as well though). There were a couple of really good moment and some that were a bit strange, but all in all I enjoyed it :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I finally got around to watching The Rise of Skywalker last night. I thought it was quite fun and despite the film being out for months already, I'm surprised to say that I didn't see ANY spoilers whatsoever (this is mostly due to me avoiding spoilers as well though). There were a couple of really good moment and some that were a bit strange, but all in all I enjoyed it :)

I feel like the buzz around that film disappeared really fast for a Star Wars movie. Compare it to Avengers End Game which was a big finale (though the universe will continue) which people were discussing for months, in comparison Rise of Skywalker seemed to be a weekend or two of people either going "yeah.. that was pretty bad" OR "i liked it!" but nothing super passionate in either the positive or negative way.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I feel the worst part about the new trilogy is that the story really seems to not have been written beforehand. Apart from the main characters, the three films are so different from each other, that it almost feels as if they're not even part of the same story. New stuff gets introduced on the fly and some of it is frankly quite weird. That said, from an 'entertainment' perspective, the film did its job. I enjoyed it and I'm actually a bit sad that I didn't go watch it in the cinema, because I bet some scenes would have looked amazing on the big screen.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I feel the worst part about the new trilogy is that the story really seems to not have been written beforehand. Apart from the main characters, the three films are so different from each other, that it almost feels as if they're not even part of the same story. New stuff gets introduced on the fly and some of it is frankly quite weird. That said, from an 'entertainment' perspective, the film did its job. I enjoyed it and I'm actually a bit sad that I didn't go watch it in the cinema, because I bet some scenes would have looked amazing on the big screen.

That's because they weren't really.. Rian Johnson was asked about The Last Jedi and if they had a "master plan" and he basically said no, he could do what he wanted. But then TLJ is a mixed bag reception-wise and they go back on a lot of decisions made in that film when JJ comes back for the final movie and he wants things his way. There's no way Palpatine returning was even on the table until Rian killed off Snoke randomly in TLJ and for RoS they all went "oh.. now what?". I did not like TLJ and for me, Rian Johnson ruined this trilogy (RoS wasn't that good but I think it was too late to save it anyways) but I would rather have taken a whole trilogy by the same director to at least get a complete vision. Or at the very least have a George Lucas-type who planned things out for 3 movies even if they are directed by different people. :p

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

That's because they weren't really.. Rian Johnson was asked about The Last Jedi and if they had a "master plan" and he basically said no, he could do what he wanted. But then TLJ is a mixed bag reception-wise and they go back on a lot of decisions made in that film when JJ comes back for the final movie and he wants things his way. There's no way Palpatine returning was even on the table until Rian killed off Snoke randomly in TLJ and for RoS they all went "oh.. now what?". I did not like TLJ and for me, Rian Johnson ruined this trilogy (RoS wasn't that good but I think it was too late to save it anyways) but I would rather have taken a whole trilogy by the same director to at least get a complete vision. Or at the very least have a George Lucas-type who planned things out for 3 movies even if they are directed by different people. :p

Yeah. There was zero excuse not to have that trilogy mapped out before they started filming. Maybe not down to each actors dialogue but the milestones and major plot points in each film should have been planned out. They weren't......and we got what we got. I like the fact that Disney has realized this blunder and is making sure it won't happen again.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
I agree 100% that the new trilogy should have been planned out better. At the same time, I think it's worth mentioning that perfect planning is not always necessary to make movies like these work (it obviously helps though... don't get me wrong). From what I understand, the original trilogy was not completely mapped out from the beginning, and some major plot points (the Emperor being in VI, Leia being Luke's sister) were decided upon fairly late.

In my opinion, the bigger issue was each director's lack of respect for what the other was trying to accomplish, to the point that some plot points kind of undid prior ones. The best example I can think of is Rey's lineage. The way I saw things in VIII was that Rey's parents were no one, which tied into a greater theme of anyone being able to accomplish great things regardless of their upbringing. In IX, Rey was revealed as a Palpatine, which was kind of devastating to Johnson's theme. It wasn't completely eradicated - Finn became force-sensitive despite coming from nothing, and the Resistance defeated the Emperor's fleet - but it had less impact, at least to me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Rey's lineage and Snoke are the 2 major things that stand out as Rian/JJ clearly having very different ideas for. I would add Luke because he felt like a different character in TLJ and felt more like a return to his old self in RoS. And yeah I agree that sometimes it's good to wait and let a movie come out, see what works and what doesn't work and adjust the details - you don't need everything mapped out. However having a plan seems like a very logical thing. We're gonna build a house and to do so we need a foundation and we need to get the ground floor down before we work on the second level and then the roof. We don't have to decide the decoration of each room before we get this down but we need a structure planned so we can execute. :p

I hope the next trilogy is better planned out but I have a feeling it will be. :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
What next trilogy though?
Squ

Online faizoff

I'm guessing the Rian Johnson trilogy though there doesn't appear to be any word on it regarding its progress. There was supposed to be another trilogy by David & Dan - the Game of Thrones show creators but they backed out of that deal.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member

I guess the Rian Johnson and the GoT guys both had their trilogies scrapped but I think it's a fair assumption that Disney are looking either at a non-Skywalker trilogy (old republic or something like that) OR they already start thinking about Episode 10, 11 and 12 mostly because their trilogy didn't have that impact they were hoping for.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I guess the Rian Johnson and the GoT guys both had their trilogies scrapped but I think it's a fair assumption that Disney are looking either at a non-Skywalker trilogy (old republic or something like that) OR they already start thinking about Episode 10, 11 and 12 mostly because their trilogy didn't have that impact they were hoping for.

From what I’ve read online it’s supposed to be Old Republic related with Filoni and Favreau more or less with creative control over the over arcing story.

Whatever it is those two are in the fold now which is good news.

Online faizoff

From what I’ve read online it’s supposed to be Old Republic related with Filoni and Favreau more or less with creative control over the over arcing story.

Whatever it is those two are in the fold now which is good news.

Has that been confirmed that they are making SW movies? Aren't they just involved in the Mandalorian? I think Kevin Fiege is overseeing a standalone SW movie, not sure about anything else.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
All that's been officially announced is a Kevin Fiege one-off movie and a Taika Waititi movie. Though I don't think the Rain Johnson trilogy is officially dead. I would be shocked if both of these films weren't being subtlety (or not so subtlety) set up for sequels if they are well received. I would love it if Star Wars took the approach of letting filmmakers have a long leash and making the film they want (while adhering to certain established laws within the Star Wars universe), then if they are a success, allowing them to do sequels.

Offline Polarbear

It's never smart trusting internet rumors, especially if it's about Star Wars.. :lol

All that's been officially announced is a Kevin Fiege one-off movie and a Taika Waititi movie. Though I don't think the Rain Johnson trilogy is officially dead. I would be shocked if both of these films weren't being subtlety (or not so subtlety) set up for sequels if they are well received. I would love it if Star Wars took the approach of letting filmmakers have a long leash and making the film they want (while adhering to certain established laws within the Star Wars universe), then if they are a success, allowing them to do sequels.

I have to agree with this as well. I would hate it, if Star Wars became just another calculated boardroom think tank product. There was some of that in TROS, but it nonetheless managed to tell a fairly engaging story. The more we get filmmakers doing the movies they feel passionate about, the better.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
Rey's lineage and Snoke are the 2 major things that stand out as Rian/JJ clearly having very different ideas for. I would add Luke because he felt like a different character in TLJ and felt more like a return to his old self in RoS. And yeah I agree that sometimes it's good to wait and let a movie come out, see what works and what doesn't work and adjust the details - you don't need everything mapped out. However having a plan seems like a very logical thing. We're gonna build a house and to do so we need a foundation and we need to get the ground floor down before we work on the second level and then the roof. We don't have to decide the decoration of each room before we get this down but we need a structure planned so we can execute. :p

I hope the next trilogy is better planned out but I have a feeling it will be. :)

Agreed on Rey and Snoke. Interestingly, I believe that Luke was one of the few plot points where Lucas, J.J., and Johnson were at least on the same page. Maybe not on the same paragraph or the same word, but at least vaguely on the same page. Kylo Ren seems to be another one where everyone was in lockstep, but I'm just speculating now.

Online faizoff

All that's been officially announced is a Kevin Fiege one-off movie and a Taika Waititi movie.

Forgot about the Waititi movie, though I'm thinking that's still some time away. As of now it looks risky to commit to a trilogy, like people have said I wouldn't be surprised if internally the exec team were expecting a much bigger box office response for the last 2 SW movies (Solo + TROS).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I agree....and, I thought that of the three sequels that TLJ was actually the best overall movie. It threw a wrench in the over arcing story and didn't appear to be in line with any of the things that JJ set up....but.....I thought Johnson made a really good movie and would be comfortable with him doing a trilogy of his own.

It's never smart trusting internet rumors, especially if it's about Star Wars.. :lol

True. The Filoni/Favreau stuff 'could' be completely false but there is just SO much talk of it out there it seems legit. And, with the success of The Mandalorian and the fact that Filoni is a George Lucas disciple and a wikipedia of SW legend and lore.....I can't see how Disney would shut them out of future projects. They HAVE to see what a train wreck..non talent, coat tail rider Kathleen Kennedy is and not allow her to ruin SW any further. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I had to Google the name Taika Waititi to see what Star Wars character that is, as it wasn't familiar to me. Clearly, as it is an actual person. But is there a person out there with a more Star Wars name than that?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Taika Waititi is a name I've only become familiar with in the past few years, but during that short time, he's been involved with a bunch of stuff that I like.  If he was somehow involved in new Star Wars movies, I can only see that as a good thing.

Online faizoff

I discovered Taika when I first saw What we do in the Shadows and that movie is a riot. One of the funniest movies I've seen. From there I watched whatever I could, the guy is immensely talented and has my kind of comedic chops.

His presence (both character and directing) in The Mandalorian was great.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet you should definitely watch his movie The Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Star Wars: The Bad Batch animated series coming to Disney+ in 2021.

"The series follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in The Clone Wars) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch — a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army — each possess a singular exceptional skill, which makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew. In the post-Clone War era, they will take on daring mercenary missions as they struggle to stay afloat and find new purpose."

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-bad-batch-series-announce