Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248116 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Starting TROS with the kiddos.....this will be their 2nd watch.....my 5th.

Yep. I still dig it. Could definitely be nit picked (as we know from this thread) but it’s a fun movie. Would have still loved to see Anakin reanimate out of some swirling dust or something at the end to take on Palpatine and kill him when Rey was petitioning the Jedi to ‘be with her’   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Starting TROS with the kiddos.....this will be their 2nd watch.....my 5th.

Yep. I still dig it. Could definitely be nit picked (as we know from this thread) but it’s a fun movie.

Same.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I've only seen TROS once, so maybe I missed if there was an explanation for this, but one nitpick I have: Near the end of the film when the crew are riding their animals into battle on top of the ships...why don't they just take the ship up? :lol It's a spaceship, it can go into space, but they just hover in place and send their own troops out onto the hull to fight the rebels and waste time until the control tower is blown up. They wouldn't even need to get to orbit, with enough elevation the air will become too thin and the rebels would all suffocate; that's if any of them were even able to remain on the hull during acceleration.

The villain forces in Star Wars are usually complete dolts anyway so I guess it fits, but this one really sticks out for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I've only seen TROS once, so maybe I missed if there was an explanation for this, but one nitpick I have: Near the end of the film when the crew are riding their animals into battle on top of the ships...why don't they just take the ship up? :lol It's a spaceship, it can go into space, but they just hover in place and send their own troops out onto the hull to fight the rebels and waste time until the control tower is blown up. They wouldn't even need to get to orbit, with enough elevation the air will become too thin and the rebels would all suffocate; that's if any of them were even able to remain on the hull during acceleration.

The villain forces in Star Wars are usually complete dolts anyway so I guess it fits, but this one really sticks out for me.

Probably because there were about 150 gazillion other star destroyers in the way.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Probably because there were about 150 gazillion other star destroyers in the way.
They were all at the same altitude though weren't they? Seems reasonable that if they can hover like that, they can go up even if at a low speed without having to go forward. Even if they could only go forward, why couldn't it angle 45 degrees before accelerating?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
They were all at the same altitude though weren't they? Seems reasonable that if they can hover like that, they can go up even if at a low speed without having to go forward. Even if they could only go forward, why couldn't it angle 45 degrees before accelerating?

Maybe they were. I think they went overboard with control+v. 10 star destroyers would have been plenty. If the villians were smart, there wouldn't be a movie. With all their fire power, those horses would have been toast anyway. Although, after the charge, we didn't see them at any point afterward. They just disappeared. I think the more we question the movie, the dumber it gets.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
That's the problem with style over substance. Somebody thought "hey, wouldn't it be cool if they rode horses while trying to destroy a star destroyer?" And everyone was like "yeah, that'd be sweet!" So they did it without taking into account any logic. I know logic is kind of out the window in a scifi movie, but there still needs to be some logic.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Logic is front and center in a sci-fi movie.  The focus is on the logical extension of current and developing technologies, and how our lives will be different.

But Star Wars is not science fiction.  It's blockbuster entertainment that takes place in what some people have mistakenly taken to be a science fiction setting.  The very first words we hear are that it took place "A long time ago".  That's why they have a bizarre mix of what we would consider futuristic tech and people living in mud huts in the desert.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Logic is front and center in a sci-fi movie.  The focus is on the logical extension of current and developing technologies, and how our lives will be different.

But Star Wars is not science fiction.  It's blockbuster entertainment that takes place in what some people have mistakenly taken to be a science fiction setting.  The very first words we hear are that it took place "A long time ago".  That's why they have a bizarre mix of what we would consider futuristic tech and people living in mud huts in the desert.

Not to mention just 'how' would Han, Chewie...Luke...Rey...Poe...etc etc stay seated or even walk around the Falcon while it was twisting and turning through space? It's something that has zero explanation or could possible work yet I'm willing to suspend disbelief that it 'just does'.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Yep.  It is absolutely style over substance.  Like any movie of this type, it breaks down when you try to figure out how most of it even works.  It is only meant to make enough sense in the moment for you to accept what's going on and follow it to the next plot point big explosion or fight scene.  Sometimes we're lucky enough to get a good, cohesive story to pull everything together, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Another rumor that is all over the internet is that Disney has brought Lucas back in to write/give direction on SW's because they're ticked off at how bad a job Kathleen Kennedy has done with it.

I didn't realize she had that much say over creative issues.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely take the time to watch the Mandalorian Gallery special, real cool behind the scenes look.

Just watched the first episode. Man, you really get an appreciation for it all. And...you get a touch of understanding  just HOW much Filoni knows about Star Wars, when actors and fellow directors are in awe. I liked the snippet of him trying to explain his thought process of the Storm Trooper helmets on the pikes to when Lucas cut to 3PO’s head after he’d been blown to pieces. Favereau had no idea of what Filoni was talking about and admired it  :lol

Anyway.....pretty cool stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope this is true.....seems legit but no 'official' confirmation    :metal   

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mandalorian-season-2-bo-katan/ 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I hope they don't try to cram in too many legacy characters.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I have faith in Filoni. It seems like the characters they’ve announced ‘make sense’ being the way Rebels ended and would seamlessly fit into the timeline and story of the Mandalorian.

Offline Polarbear

This is my fear too.

One of the biggest reasons why I loved The Mandalorian was, that it was a pretty simple story in the SW universe. I Fear that adding too many legacy characters will undermine that. But Dave Filoni has a constantly proven track record with Star Wars, so I'm open to see what comes out of this.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

This is my fear too.

One of the biggest reasons why I loved The Mandalorian was, that it was a pretty simple story in the SW universe. I Fear that adding too many legacy characters will undermine that. But Dave Filoni has a constantly proven track record with Star Wars, so I'm open to see what comes out of this.

But...as has been proven here, these legacy characters aren't as well known as say if they brought Lando Calrissian into the frey. Yes, these are major SW characters because of the roles they played in the two animated series.....but the familiarity to the overall SW fan base is dependent on if you watched the animated series or not. This is a perfect way for Filoni and Co. to introduce them to people who have no idea who they are AND people like me who do.

The point in time the show is set in is honestly 'perfect' because it doesn't intersect any of the timeline(s) of The Clone Wars or Rebels so continuity issues from that standpoint will not be a problem. And, with the way those two series left off....those particular characters did/do have a story that left everyone curious about what came after.

When 'The Mandalorian' was announced everyone was curious as to 'why' they chose that angle. Why a Mandalorian? It's really looking like the exact opposite of the sequel trilogy series right now. It appears that Favereau and Filioni actually HAVE a plan to tell a continuing story to where this may branch off into another series or two outside of The Mandalorian. There's simply zero reason to doubt them right now. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
My only concern is the motivation behind telling everyone who will be appearing. They didn't make one damn announcement about Baby Yoda, so maybe they're still holding back. Though I'm starting to wonder if they're using Mando season 2, in part, to advertise for Clone Wars and Rebels. They're announcing these legacy characters so that people (such as myself) feel the need to go and watch the other shows too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
My only concern is the motivation behind telling everyone who will be appearing. They didn't make one damn announcement about Baby Yoda, so maybe they're still holding back. Though I'm starting to wonder if they're using Mando season 2, in part, to advertise for Clone Wars and Rebels. They're announcing these legacy characters so that people (such as myself) feel the need to go and watch the other shows too.

Both Ahsoka and Boka Ton have not been officially recognized by Disney or the actresses. I suspect it was supposed to be a secret and leaked somehow.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Should have grabbed the link, but it sounds like Ahsoka is getting a live action series on Disney+ also featuring Boka Ton. Sounds like it will be a continuation of Rebels essentially. So they'll make a short appearance in The Mandalorian in order to launch their own series. Same with Boba Fett apparently. He'll be getting his own Disney+ series as well.

Online Adami

Should have grabbed the link, but it sounds like Ahsoka is getting a live action series on Disney+ also featuring Boka Ton. Sounds like it will be a continuation of Rebels essentially. So they'll make a short appearance in The Mandalorian in order to launch their own series. Same with Boba Fett apparently. He'll be getting his own Disney+ series as well.

Maybe. It's all rumors.

Star Wars has a huge problem with giant rumors coming out and then never really going anywhere.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.

Maybe. It's all rumors.

Star Wars has a huge problem with giant rumors coming out and then never really going anywhere.
Yeah, haven't seen it in multiple places yet, so I guess it's rumors. The site I read it on made it sound like it's a done deal, but I'll believe it when it's officially announced.

Online Adami

Maybe. It's all rumors.

Yeah, haven't seen it in multiple places yet, so I guess it's rumors. The site I read it on made it sound like it's a done deal, but I'll believe it when it's officially announced.

I mostly stress it because of how many Star Wars movies/shows are announced and then never happen. I know Boba and the two cartoon gals will likely be on Mandolorian, but I doubt they're working on their own shows anytime soon. Maybe if they get amazing reactions and so forth, but not this early.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Maybe. It's all rumors.

I've seen it a couple places as well. I think, like the Ahsoka 'rumor'.....that Disney didn't want it getting out. They wanted that 'baby yoda' moment for S2 but it leaked.

Boka Ton makes sense because she was the last person with the Dark Saber so her showing up would fit.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Finally got round to seeing The Rise of Skywalker and it was good. Didn't blow me away or anything, but I liked it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
If you have Disney+.....do yourself a favor and watch Episode 2 of the Gallery series on the Mandalorian......if you don't want to watch the whole thing PLEASE Fast Forward into the episode 21:45 when Dave Filoni speaks and listen to him for that three minutes or so. It perfectly demonstrates why he's so successful in writing/crafting these SW stories. He's just on another level of understanding the SW universe than anyone else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I plan to get to that once I finish Clone Wars.  I forget off the top of my head whether I'm toward the end of S5 or the beginning of S6.  This series continues to be all over the place.  I mean, you get some pretty cool story arcs like Maul/Savage, and Anakin and Asoka basically planting the seeds of the rebellion by teaching Saw Gerrera and his cohorts how to use guerrilla tactics and insurrection, which in some ways make this series better than most or all of what we actually got in the PT.  And then you have stuff like R2 and the droid special forces unit that is easily some of the worst SW has to offer.  I just don't get how the series can be this inconsistent this far in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I plan to get to that once I finish Clone Wars.  I forget off the top of my head whether I'm toward the end of S5 or the beginning of S6.  This series continues to be all over the place.  I mean, you get some pretty cool story arcs like Maul/Savage, and Anakin and Asoka basically planting the seeds of the rebellion by teaching Saw Gerrera and his cohorts how to use guerrilla tactics and insurrection, which in some ways make this series better than most or all of what we actually got in the PT.  And then you have stuff like R2 and the droid special forces unit that is easily some of the worst SW has to offer. I just don't get how the series can be this inconsistent this far in.

I know. There are some pretty cringe worthy episodes when they throw stuff out of the blue in there. Those were usually the ones that you could tell were geared directly towards kids. For me 8/10 episodes were fine. There were always a couple clunkers thrown about.....but, I thought the series progressed nicely. I enjoyed getting more meat on the bones with characters like Obi Wan, Anakin, Dooku, Grevious.....and a couple of the other Jedi.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
One of the issues I am having with watching in D+ is that I sometimes find that it loses my place instead of resuming where I left off.  I don't know if it is a D+ glitch, or if the kids are accidentally using my profile, or what.  But I have missed a couple of episodes here and there.  I think I've gone back and picked up what I missed, but not 100% sure.  One question I have related to that:  There have been a few different threads now of Death Watch.  Is there an episode explaining the origin of that dark saber?  If so, I think I might have missed it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
One of the issues I am having with watching in D+ is that I sometimes find that it loses my place instead of resuming where I left off.  I don't know if it is a D+ glitch, or if the kids are accidentally using my profile, or what.  But I have missed a couple of episodes here and there.  I think I've gone back and picked up what I missed, but not 100% sure.  One question I have related to that:  There have been a few different threads now of Death Watch.  Is there an episode explaining the origin of that dark saber?  If so, I think I might have missed it.
I don't have that problem at all with Disney+ for what it's worth. And no, the dark saber is never really explained unless I completely missed something.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Anyone else watching The Mandalorian documentary series on D+? Episode 4 is on the technology and it's fascinating. Much of the show was filmed on a set that was completely surrounded by LED screens rather than green screens. Really cool technology.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Much of the show was filmed on a set that was completely surrounded by LED screens rather than green screens. Really cool technology.

Yeah. that looks awesome. Really cool idea. I can't imagine that setup is cheap  :lol  The clarity on those screens is amazing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Watched Skywalker for the first time yesterday.

Quick side-trip down memory lane.... Star Wars was as big a part of my childhood as anything. Born in 76, I have the vaguest of memories when ESB hit the drive-in (specifically I remember the ad in the newspaper, we cut it out and put it in a scrap book). I bought all the toys, wore themed costumes for Halloween... it was easily the defining franchise of my youth. I was in a real downward trend in the mid-late 90s, and was so excited for the Special Editions. It honestly kept my going sometimes. Knowing that I'd be able to see Ep4 in the theater kept me going some days I felt I had little to look forward to. I loved them at the time, pre-ordered the VHS releases, and watched the crap out of those. When announcements that the prequels were being made, it was one of the most exciting bits of entertainment news I'd ever read in my life. I diligently followed everything up to the release of TPM, much to my detriment as I knew so much about it going in, there was no sense of wonder (well, also because the story was lacking any). I dialed it back some for AotC, and enjoyed that much more. For RotS, I didn't even watch any trailers, and enjoyed that experience as well. Fast-forward several years, and my life is so different for many reasons, and film just doesn't hold nearly as much interest in my life any longer. News of Eps 7-9 hits, and I barely care. I don't follow the production cycles at all, but I go see them in the theater. They are enjoyable, but that's about it.

So, quick first impression... I highly enjoyed Skywalker. Much more than TFA and TLJ. I largely forgot about those by the time I got home from the theater. I feel like watching Skywalker again tonight.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
My 9 year old daughter has been asking about possibly watching Star Wars - some of her friends have been talking about it, and she feels left out. She wasn't sure if she was ready, as she is quite sensitive, but I reassured her that while there was fighting, it wasn't bloody or scary or sad (I'll send her for a refill of popcorn when Luke returns to the burned homestead). I said in the previous post the SW franchise was the most important and meaningful to me growing up, and I have looked forward to exposing her to the SW universe.

She was all on board. Then I started down the rabbit hole of how the "first one" is really Episode 4, (of 9) and that is where we are going to start, despite being out of chronological order. And we are going to watch the 2011(?) version because that is the one on Disney+ (since I don't own any version on DVD/BD), but it is different from the original 1977 version which I grew up with, and still different from the Special Edition released in 1997.

10 minutes later... I think she is still on board.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise

She was all on board. Then I started down the rabbit hole of how the "first one" is really Episode 4, (of 9) and that is where we are going to start, despite being out of chronological order. And we are going to watch the 2011(?) version because that is the one on Disney+ (since I don't own any version on DVD/BD), but it is different from the original 1977 version which I grew up with, and still different from the Special Edition released in 1997.

That's a tough choice for sure. I am hoping that by the time any kid of mine is of age, that HD unaltered versions are available to buy because I would do so in a heartbeat.

From what's actually available, I don't even know where to start. I grew up on the 97 special editions so my normal isn't even the "original" originals, so that makes the whole thing even crazier  :lol

I have the 2006 dvds which came with the unaltered versions on a 2nd bonus disc, but are almost unwatchable. No remastering, standard definition, mono sound and not even widescreen  :P  so I doubt I would show them that, and most of the added stuff from the 97 special editions I actually like so I wouldn't mind showing them that, but that's probably as far as I would go with changes.