Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248129 times)

Online faizoff

Taika Waititi is going to direct a stand alone Star Wars movie and going to co-write it. It should be great, I don't think I've ever seen anything with him that I didn't like.

And I really need to start watching the Rebels and Clone Wars cartoons.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
And I really need to start watching the Rebels and Clone Wars cartoons.

As I mentioned to Chad and Bosk.....TCW's takes a bit to get going but they really hit their stride in S3 and never looks back. Good thing is, the episodes are only 20 minutes long. Bad thing....there are 133 of them  :lol   I'm sticking with 8/10 of them are 'good' and worth the watch. There are some throw aways in there but for me....the best thing about the series is that you actually get to see Anakin Skywalker develop as a Jedi Knight and person. I stated a few pages back in this thread that it's far better than what we are shown in the prequels and I consider 'Anakin Skywalker' the character that we see in TCW's.....not the shell of a character that's shown to us in those prequels. And obviously if you've been reading I'm on record as saying that Ahsoka is my all time favorite SW Character....she is a sliver behind Anakin and a sliver ahead of Obi Wan in my 'favorite' Jedi category. And speaking of Obi Wan.....you get a real nice development of him has well in this series. Much more depth that what we were given in the short time in the movies.

Rebels is really good also. It gets going a bit quicker than The Clone Wars but young Ezra is a bit of a punk to put up with the first bit. Cools story, cool characters and really well done show also.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Morning question for my kid's class today: "Who is your favorite SW character?" So many people said Rey, with a couple Poe and BB8 answers. No appreciation for the original trilogy :sad
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
So many people said Rey,

Not just saying this....but, from what I've seen from Rey and Ahsoka on ability alone.....Ahsoka owns Rey. It's really not even close.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I should have said these are 3rd graders so their SW knowledge might be limited. My kid said Chewbacca because that is literally the only SW character she knows. But hell I have no idea who Ahsoka is. Thought you were talking about the wrestler, but that is Asuka.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
But hell I have no idea who Ahsoka is.

That's the bummer part about TCW's and Rebels. It's considered Cannon and has dramatically improved characters like Anakin, Obi Wan, General Grevious, Darth Maul, Count Dooku and countless others you only got a glimpse of.....and introduced characters like Ahsoka.....and there are a ton of SW fans that just haven't watched.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I just signed up for Disney+ for the kids being stuck at home so have the option to check out those series. I just don't have the time, and honestly, a limited amount of interest.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Rey is way cooler Ahsoka. She’s just kind of meh and not at all developed.

Ahsoka? More like ahsucka.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Mid-way through season 4 (at the point of a certain person going undercover, having to do with bounty hunters, and a cube), and I'm still waiting for Asoka to become cool.  I mean, she's fine.  But her character still hasn't evolved to anything close to compelling for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Nice try

Online Adami

Nice try

;D

I’m looking forward to seeing her in the Mandalorian. It’ll be my first real exposure to her.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Mid-way through season 4 (at the point of a certain person going undercover, having to do with bounty hunters, and a cube), and I'm still waiting for Asoka to become cool.  I mean, she's fine.  But her character still hasn't evolved to anything close to compelling for me.

All the seasons/episodes kind of run together for me so it’s tough to recall ‘where’ in the story her character is.

I personally think her character arc is fantastic. Especially in the eyes of having just watched the finale. May not be like that for everyone....but your summation of where your at with her right now with still three seasons to go is where I’m at with Rey with no story left to tell.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Nice try

;D

I’m looking forward to seeing her in the Mandalorian. It’ll be my first real exposure to her.

If you want a cheat sheet just watch the last (4) episodes of S7. It’ll give you a sense of where she ended up. Unless you plan on watching TCW’s then that may ruin it.

Online faizoff

Just re-watched Rise of Skywalker with the wife, she hadn't seen it in theaters. She really liked it, was surprised it received a lot of hate. On my re-watch I liked it more than before it's still very messy and a mix of a million parts but overall I still liked the feel of it. Story is definitely very hokey and convenient and several underdeveloped beats, it's too bad it was 2 movies crammed into one. But I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Don't know where I'd rank it, above the prequels for sure probably #6.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I think if you put together those last 4 episodes of the clone wars into a movie, it would be better than any of the prequels.

Offline romdrums

I would dare say that Clone Wars and Rebels approach Empire Strikes Back as the best stories in all of Star Wars.  I agree with Gary that The Clone Wars really fleshed out Anakin after his weak treatment in the prequels.  I’d also say Count Dooku was also really developed as a villain.  The way he used and then discarded Asajj Ventress was especially well done.  One of my favorite episodes was from Season Six, when Anakin and Obi-Wan track down what happened to Master Sifo-Dyas.  The fight between Anakin and Dooku was the best one of the series. 

Rebels was really good too, and it really got good once Thrawn entered the fray.  They really did a great job on the development of the main characters.  Ezra proved to be an incredibly powerful Jedi, and it was so cool to watch him being challenged by the dark side and never took the bait. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I think if you put together those last 4 episodes of the clone wars into a movie, it would be better than any of the prequels.

Without a doubt. I still can’t get over how awesome the Score was in this eason.....and definitely the last four.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:52:19 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
I would dare say that Clone Wars and Rebels approach Empire Strikes Back as the best stories in all of Star Wars.  I agree with Gary that The Clone Wars really fleshed out Anakin after his weak treatment in the prequels.  I’d also say Count Dooku was also really developed as a villain.  The way he used and then discarded Asajj Ventress was especially well done.  One of my favorite episodes was from Season Six, when Anakin and Obi-Wan track down what happened to Master Sifo-Dyas.  The fight between Anakin and Dooku was the best one of the series. 

Rebels was really good too, and it really got good once Thrawn entered the fray.  They really did a great job on the development of the main characters.  Ezra proved to be an incredibly powerful Jedi, and it was so cool to watch him being challenged by the dark side and never took the bait.

Yeah. The characters that were just thrown onscreen for a few flashy moments in the prequels were really given great attention in TCW’s.

Agree about Ezra. His character growth was awesome to watch. There’s a rumor about a Rebels S5 happening soon OR even he and/or Sabine showing up in The Mandalorian. Which, given the way Rebels ended and the rumored Ahsoka appearance ‘could’ make sense?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Definitely take the time to watch the Mandalorian Gallery special, real cool behind the scenes look.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wow, the Ventriss story arc suddenly took a VERY dark turn.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, the Ventriss story arc suddenly took a VERY dark turn.

Didn't it? The Sith are ruthless

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
So it's being reported/rumored now that Hayden Christensen has signed on to be a part of the Obi Wan live action series. If true, that has to speak to some flashback sequences. Could be interesting.

Another rumor that is all over the internet is that Disney has brought Lucas back in to write/give direction on SW's because they're ticked off at how bad a job Kathleen Kennedy has done with it. From what I've gleaned they want Lucas to Retcon the character of Rey moving forward.....that they didn't like Kennedy's vision for that character.

Online Adami

So it's being reported/rumored now that Hayden Christensen has signed on to be a part of the Obi Wan live action series. If true, that has to speak to some flashback sequences. Could be interesting.

Another rumor that is all over the internet is that Disney has brought Lucas back in to write/give direction on SW's because they're ticked off at how bad a job Kathleen Kennedy has done with it. From what I've gleaned they want Lucas to Retcon the character of Rey moving forward.....that they didn't like Kennedy's vision for that character.

I dunno how I feel about Hayden if he were to return. I actually like Hayden as an actor (just not in the prequels) but he's also...18 years older or something since the last time we saw him? Not sure how smooth it'll be to a flashback to a guy who is 18 years older than he was before, you know? But maybe they can make it work. They certainly did a great job thus far with the shows.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

I dunno how I feel about Hayden if he were to return. I actually like Hayden as an actor (just not in the prequels) but he's also...18 years older or something since the last time we saw him? Not sure how smooth it'll be to a flashback to a guy who is 18 years older than he was before, you know? But maybe they can make it work. They certainly did a great job thus far with the shows.

I thought the same. He'd definitely 'look' different but then again....if it's done well and it's a story that is actually good.....I could overlook it. I would think it'd be limited scenes if they were flashback?

Online Adami

True. Maybe a dream sequence as a manifestation of Obi Wan's guilt? Or a vision of sorts?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
It seems like the animated series throw out the Sith rule of 2. Duuku has Ventriss as an apprentice even though he is an apprentice himself. In Rebels there are the Inquisitors, which are basically apprentices of Vader, again himself an apprentice. I know it's nice to have more villains, but it kind of flies in the face of what we've been told about the rule of 2.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
It seems like the animated series throw out the Sith rule of 2. Duuku has Ventriss as an apprentice even though he is an apprentice himself. In Rebels there are the Inquisitors, which are basically apprentices of Vader, again himself an apprentice. I know it's nice to have more villains, but it kind of flies in the face of what we've been told about the rule of 2.

I think Dooku was doing that behind the Emperors back though. I think the Emperor knew he had a force sensitive assassin....but didn’t count her as an apprentice.

Same with the Inquisitors I thought.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.

I think Dooku was doing that behind the Emperors back though. I think the Emperor knew he had a force sensitive assassin....but didn’t count her as an apprentice.

Same with the Inquisitors I thought.
That could be. I guess it is normal for the apprentice to overthrow the master, so it makes sense that they would have their own apprentice lined up.

Offline Polarbear

The Inquisitors were barely even apprentices. They were all former Jedi who were spared and turned to the dark side, just so they could help Vader hunt down the remaining Jedi who survived the purge in Revenge of the Sith. Vader can't be everywhere at once.

They were taught just enough in the ways of the dark side that they could be effective in their mission, but easy for Vader and The Emperor to mop up when all the Jedi have been exterminated. That's why Kanan and Ezra are able to stand up to them with barely any training, and why Ahsoka wipes the floor with them in that one Rebels episode. They were just tools for Vader and The Emperor.

Oh, and TCW finale was epic! I was very intrigued by the music. That music at the end of the final episode, sounded almost like the "Blade Runner" score by Vangelis. Huge props to the composer: Kevin Kinner.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I have 44 minutes left of Rise of Skywalker and I've enjoyed it so far. I tried watching Last Jedi but skipped a good hour of it. It's just not very good. Even without all the negativity surrounding it, I'd probably still be bored to tears. Ive watched plenty of negative reviews on Rise, and I'm still enjoying it for what it is.

My biggest gripe would be the comedy. Yeah, it's entertaining, but much like Age of Ultron, the characters never feel like they're in danger. Stop quipping! Stormtroopers have guns aimed at your head! I know how it ends, but I'm going to finish it, and then probably never watch it again.

Online Adami

To be fair, Stormtroopers with guns aimed at your head doesn't actually mean you're in any danger.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Fair enough.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
The Inquisitors were barely even apprentices. They were all former Jedi who were spared and turned to the dark side, just so they could help Vader hunt down the remaining Jedi who survived the purge in Revenge of the Sith. Vader can't be everywhere at once.

They were taught just enough in the ways of the dark side that they could be effective in their mission, but easy for Vader and The Emperor to mop up when all the Jedi have been exterminated. That's why Kanan and Ezra are able to stand up to them with barely any training, and why Ahsoka wipes the floor with them in that one Rebels episode. They were just tools for Vader and The Emperor.

Oh, and TCW finale was epic! I was very intrigued by the music. That music at the end of the final episode, sounded almost like the "Blade Runner" score by Vangelis. Huge props to the composer: Kevin Kinner.

Makes sense. And I agree 100% about the music. Especially the last four episodes.....and really in the last two.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
Starting TROS with the kiddos.....this will be their 2nd watch.....my 5th.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Starting TROS with the kiddos.....this will be their 2nd watch.....my 5th.

Revenge of the 5th!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion