Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 247117 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #1925 on: January 03, 2020, 10:09:16 PM »
Just saw in the Clone Wars rewatch that Anakin actually pulled a Holdo long before she did when he crashed a battle cruiser into a Seperatist Battle ship to break through the blockade on Ryloth. He one upped her by escaping as well.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Rise of Skywalker (oh, and The Mandalorian)
« Reply #1926 on: January 03, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »
Fuck it. I liked Rise of skywalker. Sure I didn't LOVE It, but it's not really the mess some people and critics on youtube are saying it is for me. And while I do understand some of the criticism of the film and agree with a decent amount of it (SPOILERS: Emperor is alive with no buildup whatsoever in the past two films, there is not a lot of time to grieve Chewie's death), almost all of the complaints I hear about the movie show us that most critics of TROS don't know what they wanted from this film. 

This is not entirely their fault: The Last Jedi kind of wrote the saga into a corner and left people dumbfounded. Remember all those theories After Force Awakens? Remember how there were almost no fan theories after TLJ and most of them were questions about how the hell were they going to save themselves from the plot points TLJ stated?

I believe there is no possible way that TROS would have given us a satisfying ending, and most of the complaints on it being about how poorly they handled the trilogy is my biggest reason to think that. I do believe there are things that TROS could have done better, But to be honest most of the suggestions and fixes the fans and critics say are equally or more awful than what we got. That says something.

TL;DR, Star Wars fans can be really obnoxious; and hef's Godfather test opinion is spot-on. Remember when the prequels sucked and everybody hated them? Apparently people love them now. Jesus Christ, have some criteria.

I'll toss my rankings of the main movies so far just for the heck of it:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Star Wars (A New Hope)
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Force Awakens
6. Rise of Skywalker
7. The Phantom Menace
8. The Last Jedi
9. Attack of the Clones
I loved Rogue One, btw. Didn't care much for Solo.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:36:51 PM by LCArenas »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1927 on: January 04, 2020, 06:30:35 AM »
What is the Godfather test?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1928 on: January 04, 2020, 10:54:19 AM »
Seeing more and more people that were involved with the movie coming out and saying just how much footage was cut from the film. Apparently, a lot of the cut footage would have explained and answered a lot of the questions/complaints that people have but Disney decided was not necessary.

Either way, I did enjoy the film but it sure seems the backlash to Last Jedi really screwed with Disney. I find that funny since I have stated before that Last Jedi was my favorite of the trilogy. I loved how it challenged the fans and didn't fall into fan service.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1929 on: January 04, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »
Hopefully they'll do a directors or extended cut of the film. I understand why Disney didn't want a three hour movie, but it's always a shame when the directors vision can't be seen.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:23:53 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1930 on: January 04, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
Their last 3 hour movie made almost 3 billion dollars. Did they suddenly stop liking money?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1931 on: January 04, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »
My biggest complaint with TROS was it felt too long and the first half dragged on. I think they should have cut more, the movie felt super bloated.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1932 on: January 04, 2020, 02:35:39 PM »
The Last Jedi kind of wrote the saga into a corner and left people dumbfounded. Remember all those theories After Force Awakens? Remember how there were almost no fan theories after TLJ and most of them were questions about how the hell were they going to save themselves from the plot points TLJ stated?

I believe there is no possible way that TROS would have given us a satisfying ending, and most of the complaints on it being about how poorly they handled the trilogy is my biggest reason to think that.
This is kinda how I feel. Star Wars fans got the reputation for being whiny babies that they don't entirely deserve. They treated the movies like art and got treated like wallets. They wanted to see amazing stories and got kids' toys already in the first trilogy, and it kept getting worse. George Lucas kept editing the material because of his insane ego. They sat through three movies of shit prequels, bought and read EU material to only have it handwaved away as not canon anymore because a conglomerate literally bought Star Wars, said "okay I guess they have something better to do with this universe that other creators have been doing for so many years, let's hear them out" and got a trilogy where at the very least each succeeding movie disrespected the previous one, at least a little bit.

I'm not even in the fandom proper, and I feel kinda bad for fans, because when they pipe up to call a spade a spade (or, in cases of Rian and JJ, and JJ and Rian, call them two directors that don't entirely respect what the other did in the trilogy, two times over), they get called unreasonable haters. If Rey's parentage isn't important, why did they set up the mystery in the first movie, answer it perfectly (if not entirely congruently with the imagery of the first movie) in the second movie, and then negate the entire message that came with the answer in the third movie? It wasn't just a parentage reveal, it was a whole trilogy-defining moment in the message, and the third movie should have went with it, and it's not nitpicky to feel this way. At the very least, they didn't have to go with "oh btw Palps is alive and he has procreated", that's about as legitimate as "oh btw Luke has a son, there he is! oh and here is Toby wan Kenobi, Obi's nephew". And even before that, the second movie could have went with some stuff set up in TFA.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 02:43:24 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1933 on: January 04, 2020, 02:48:12 PM »
For what it's worth, I totally thought since moment one that Kylo Ren was telling Rey a lie. I was not  "oh, so they made the artistic choice to have Rey's parents be a couple of nobodies", I was "naah, he's lying, he's GOTTA be lying".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1934 on: January 04, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »
For what it's worth, I totally thought since moment one that Kylo Ren was telling Rey a lie. I was not  "oh, so they made the artistic choice to have Rey's parents be a couple of nobodies", I was "naah, he's lying, he's GOTTA be lying".
I always assumed it was either a lie or that Ren wasn't seeing it clearly. I always assumed that she had parents that were somehow important. Now, I think it would have been better if she were no one, but it doesn't bother me either way.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: January 04, 2020, 03:44:07 PM »
If I didn't know better, I would have thought Darth Vader was lying to Luke, and that's what ended up defining the movies. Going back on that in such a pivotal way feels a little weird. It's a great way to anchor the new trilogy in between the new and the old by saying "we told the Skywalker stories, but now we know the Force can come from anywhere, so next chapter we close this book so another one can begin". Now it's like "we killed the past in that depressing way... so now the past is dead and we don't have to continue these 20th century stories anymore... and at the same time we brought everything back together in a small-world-way because one of the last people standing is Palpy's offspring.... yay rejoice, aren't you happy and grateful".

I don't know what the whole trilogy is about. Maybe it's about chosen family and friendship, but why did the Finn/Rey camaraderie stop delivering past TFA, and why did Rey have so few meaningful moments with the Skywalkers? Can't criticize how everything turned out with the old guard seeing how Carrie left us in the middle of it, but coming out of TFA, I was certain Finn was the male lead (I'm not factoring potential romance into this); and it feels like a cynical marketing department decision to bump him down and give him stories that don't matter much at all, in favor of hotter commodity characters/more obedient actors who don't mouth off on Twitter a whole lot  ::)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1936 on: January 04, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »
The Last Jedi kind of wrote the saga into a corner and left people dumbfounded. Remember all those theories After Force Awakens? Remember how there were almost no fan theories after TLJ and most of them were questions about how the hell were they going to save themselves from the plot points TLJ stated?

I believe there is no possible way that TROS would have given us a satisfying ending, and most of the complaints on it being about how poorly they handled the trilogy is my biggest reason to think that.
This is kinda how I feel. Star Wars fans got the reputation for being whiny babies that they don't entirely deserve. They treated the movies like art and got treated like wallets. They wanted to see amazing stories and got kids' toys already in the first trilogy, and it kept getting worse. George Lucas kept editing the material because of his insane ego. They sat through three movies of shit prequels, bought and read EU material to only have it handwaved away as not canon anymore because a conglomerate literally bought Star Wars, said "okay I guess they have something better to do with this universe that other creators have been doing for so many years, let's hear them out" and got a trilogy where at the very least each succeeding movie disrespected the previous one, at least a little bit.

I'm not even in the fandom proper, and I feel kinda bad for fans, because when they pipe up to call a spade a spade (or, in cases of Rian and JJ, and JJ and Rian, call them two directors that don't entirely respect what the other did in the trilogy, two times over), they get called unreasonable haters. If Rey's parentage isn't important, why did they set up the mystery in the first movie, answer it perfectly (if not entirely congruently with the imagery of the first movie) in the second movie, and then negate the entire message that came with the answer in the third movie? It wasn't just a parentage reveal, it was a whole trilogy-defining moment in the message, and the third movie should have went with it, and it's not nitpicky to feel this way. At the very least, they didn't have to go with "oh btw Palps is alive and he has procreated", that's about as legitimate as "oh btw Luke has a son, there he is! oh and here is Toby wan Kenobi, Obi's nephew". And even before that, the second movie could have went with some stuff set up in TFA.

"Toby wan Kenobi".  That's legendary.  :)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1937 on: January 04, 2020, 06:03:51 PM »
"Toby wan Kenobi".  That's legendary.  :)

:lol

I don't think we'll ever know the truth about how much JJ and Rian did or did not share notes, respect each other's vision, or not, or how much Disney brass changed things anyway.  Or rather "forced" the changes upon them (ha ha).

But out of all the different analyses I've read (which admittedly isn't a whole lot) I read one thing that really stuck out.  It had to do with Rey and how she wields a light saber.  She thrusts with it, like a lot.  Nearly everybody wields a light saber like a sword, with attacks and parries which resemble fencing moves.  The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were both on TV recently so we watched them again, and there it was: Rey holds the hilt and thrusts with her light saber.  Once it's pointed out, it's impossible to miss.  Who else did that?  Palpatine, in the PT.  They're the only two.  Darth Maul with the two-ended light saber used a technique based on a bo stick, which made perfect sense.  Other than that, everybody else slashes and cuts.  Rey thrusts with it, as Palpatine did.  This was in The Force Awakens, so she hadn't had any training yet; she just went with what felt natural.  Is it possible that JJ made this intentional choice back in TFA (and thus didn't just pull "Rey is a Palpatine" out of his ass in The Rise of Skywalker)?

What I haven't done is go back and watch the PT (because who would do that, willingly?) to find a Palpatine fight and double-check things.  But if true, we have a theory with supporting evidence right there in the films.  Or maybe just a coincidence anyway.  :|

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1938 on: January 05, 2020, 02:41:43 AM »
Most likely the guy who trained her in fighting scenes was the same guy who trained Ian McDiarmid back in the day, or by happenstance Daisy felt more at ease doing those kind of moves and her trainer went along with that. But hey, one can dream  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1939 on: January 05, 2020, 07:06:45 AM »

Awesome post. The one thing I maybe disagree with just a tad is the idea that "[Fans] treated the movies like art and got treated like wallets." The Last Jedi actually tried to be at least somewhat art-like by having themes and being really personal with the characters - particularly Luke - and a lot of fans absolutely hated that approach. I dunno... It kind of feels to me as though fans want Star Wars to seem like art, but on the few occasions that the sequels actually tried taking risks - which is a key component of art - the fans got mad. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1940 on: January 05, 2020, 07:34:58 AM »
I got mad because of Jesus Organa and a completely unnecessary casino zoo chase.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1941 on: January 05, 2020, 08:17:02 AM »
That whole casino plot was quite the dumpster fire.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1942 on: January 05, 2020, 08:42:15 AM »
While I think RoS could have turned out better, and some creative choices are questionable, I do agree JJ was dealt a bad hand with TLJ and it's like how can you even salvage what you have. Like no matter what you thought about TFA (personally I really like it) it did a good job of setting up the trilogy and there were plenty of things left for future exploration that could have made for a compelling trilogy. The problem was Rian Johnson did not see it that way so he threw out what was there and went his own way. Kinda like if you're on a long road trip in a car and you take turns driving and when you wake up you realize your buddy went 50 miles off course during the night. I think Rian Johnson is a fine filmmaker, JJ is a fine filmmaker but just the poor planning and overseeing really sank this trilogy. Step 1 has to be to make sure there's a grand plan and that all directors are on board with following that plan.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1943 on: January 05, 2020, 09:03:54 AM »
It amazes me that this new trilogy just boils down to two directors and writers fighting over what Star Wars should be.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1944 on: January 05, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »
finally got around to seeing Rise of Skywalker and while not episode 8 bad, it didn't have enough to save this trilogy.

its obvious there was no coherent story planned to get through these three movies and its a shame, could have been great.

oh well, maybe they can reboot it again and Disney can rob us all of our hard earned cash once more.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: January 05, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »
Rey holds the hilt and thrusts with her light saber.  Once it's pointed out, it's impossible to miss.  Who else did that?  Palpatine, in the PT.  They're the only two.  Darth Maul with the two-ended light saber used a technique based on a bo stick, which made perfect sense.  Other than that, everybody else slashes and cuts.  Rey thrusts with it, as Palpatine did.  This was in The Force Awakens, so she hadn't had any training yet; she just went with what felt natural.  Is it possible that JJ made this intentional choice back in TFA (and thus didn't just pull "Rey is a Palpatine" out of his ass in The Rise of Skywalker)?
Yeah, that argument definitely existed back then (I'm talking as if it was a long time ago and not just a couple of years). At the very least it was set up as a possibility and a lot of fans wanted her to descend from someone Sith-aligned in some way, that was the other most popular idea after "oh my god just let Rey and Finn descend from just some normal ass people, not Skywalkers or Kenobis". But the way Rian based a lot of the art of his movie about how he sees the Force was all very poetic and beautiful, and then JJ comes in at the last movie and says "actually the Force is stored in the balls"  :biggrin:

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1946 on: January 05, 2020, 06:50:28 PM »
finally got around to seeing Rise of Skywalker and while not episode 8 bad, it didn't have enough to save this trilogy.

its obvious there was no coherent story planned to get through these three movies and its a shame, could have been great.

oh well, maybe they can reboot it again and Disney can rob us all of our hard earned cash once more.

True story

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1947 on: January 05, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »
Rey holds the hilt and thrusts with her light saber.  Once it's pointed out, it's impossible to miss.  Who else did that?  Palpatine, in the PT.  They're the only two.  Darth Maul with the two-ended light saber used a technique based on a bo stick, which made perfect sense.  Other than that, everybody else slashes and cuts.  Rey thrusts with it, as Palpatine did.  This was in The Force Awakens, so she hadn't had any training yet; she just went with what felt natural.  Is it possible that JJ made this intentional choice back in TFA (and thus didn't just pull "Rey is a Palpatine" out of his ass in The Rise of Skywalker)?
Yeah, that argument definitely existed back then (I'm talking as if it was a long time ago and not just a couple of years). At the very least it was set up as a possibility and a lot of fans wanted her to descend from someone Sith-aligned in some way, that was the other most popular idea after "oh my god just let Rey and Finn descend from just some normal ass people, not Skywalkers or Kenobis". But the way Rian based a lot of the art of his movie about how he sees the Force was all very poetic and beautiful, and then JJ comes in at the last movie and says "actually the Force is stored in the balls"  :biggrin:

Force sensitivity was always something that had the potential to be passed genetically, but I also like the idea that anyone can be force sensitive.  Having Rey turn out to be a Palpatine made the entire saga not just about the Skywalkers, but about Skywalkers vs Palpatines, which -- as has been pointed out -- somehow makes the universe smaller, not bigger.  Having Rey being a Kenobi might have been cool, just because Luke training Rey would've been a Skywalker training a Kenobi, the other side of Obi-Wan training Anakin so long ago.  But that would have been a ridiculous coincidence, Rey turning out to be a long-lost Kenobi spawn.

I probably would've been fine with Rey turning out to be a "nobody" if it was done right.  But we'll never know.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1948 on: January 06, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »
3 episodes of Clone Wars left on our re-watch and I'm liking more and more the idea that Star Wars go the TV series route with a movie every once and awhile. The quality of Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandalorian is just steller from a story telling perspective.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: January 06, 2020, 07:27:51 AM »
Finished The Mandalorian yesterday, awesome little series there.  Love all the throw backs, simple but compelling story, and at the end some draw backs to the first episode to make a nice full circle of the season.  Plus leaving us with a little taste of what next season will be about.  It's nice to see Disney get something right with this.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1950 on: January 06, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
A friend of mine just forwarded me some recent articles that basically point to there being significant production issues and studio meddling during the making of TROS. As always, you have to take these things with a grain of salt, but a lot of signs point to these claims being credible. As an example, even the editor of the movie went on record and said that they cut a bunch of stuff they didn't intend to, and that they were rushed. If these claims are true - and that's a big "if" - then I am pretty bummed as a Star Wars fan, and feel pretty terrible for JJ.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1951 on: January 06, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »
A friend of mine just forwarded me some recent articles that basically point to there being significant production issues and studio meddling during the making of TROS. As always, you have to take these things with a grain of salt, but a lot of signs point to these claims being credible. As an example, even the editor of the movie went on record and said that they cut a bunch of stuff they didn't intend to, and that they were rushed. If these claims are true - and that's a big "if" - then I am pretty bummed as a Star Wars fan, and feel pretty terrible for JJ.

So ROS is the new Justice League.

Awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: January 06, 2020, 03:19:22 PM »
Sigh... here we go.....
*unzips keyboard*
#releasetheJJcut

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1953 on: January 06, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
Fan4stick was an awful movie. So people wanted to release the Trank cut. No Trank cut ever released, people eventually moved on.

Justice League was an awful movie. So people wanted to release the Snyder cut. No Snyder cut ever released, people eventually moved on (well hopefully).

Rise of Skywalker is a mediocre movie. So people will want the Abrams cut. No Abrams cut will be released. People will move on.....whenever the next tent-pole film isn't very good and people assume a new cut of the film will make it better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1954 on: January 06, 2020, 03:25:13 PM »
What is the Godfather test?

I had some problems with the film, but most of those aren't on my list.

The film certainly isn't perfect, but NONE of them pass the Godfather test, so that's fine.

Wait, what?
The Godfather test.  "Could <insert movie> realistically have been made any better than it is?"

The only movies to which the answer to that question would be "No" are perfect movies.  The Godfather is one such example.  Hence, the Godfather test.

Not surprised you aren't familiar with it.  I made it up myself.

TLDR: none of the previous Star Wars films are perfect, so no one should be shocked that this one isn't either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1955 on: January 06, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
Has George Lucas commented on this new trilogy, or TROS, at all? I was thinking about this last night and I really want to know what he agrees/disagrees with.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1956 on: January 06, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
Last commenty I saw was when he was talking about TLJ, and he, like Hammill, was critical of the way Luke's character was portrayed.  I haven't heard a peep from him about ROS.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1957 on: January 07, 2020, 05:51:50 AM »
Has George Lucas commented on this new trilogy, or TROS, at all? I was thinking about this last night and I really want to know what he agrees/disagrees with.

Disney doesn't care for his thoughts or suggestions. He knows his role.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1958 on: January 07, 2020, 06:30:12 AM »

Might have been a good approach  to have him write or at least be involved in the writing? Maybe the prequel stuff scared them?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1959 on: January 07, 2020, 07:15:38 AM »

Might have been a good approach  to have him write or at least be involved in the writing? Maybe the prequel stuff scared them?

I remember reading an interview with JJ where he states that they met George prior to writing the script for TROS.