Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 257536 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #1610 on: December 18, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
There is an extras tab that is supposed to be something about Rise but I didn't watch that.

It's just a portion of a trailer that hasn't been shown on TV yet....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1611 on: December 18, 2019, 06:08:47 PM »
It just dawned on me that if, in another timeline, they were to reboot Star Wars, Willem Dafoe would make an amazing emperor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1612 on: December 18, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »
Ep 7 of The Mandalorian was stellar! I have seen complaints that the show has been about nothing and goes nowhere and is setting nothing up. That should be silenced with today's episode. It all came together. It was also sad.

Man, the last episode should be a real doozy after this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1613 on: December 18, 2019, 07:54:00 PM »
Ep 7 of The Mandalorian was stellar! I have seen complaints that the show has been about nothing and goes nowhere and is setting nothing up. That should be silenced with today's episode. It all came together. It was also sad.

Yeah, it all came together very nicely for sure...and I got a real shitty feeling that the last episode is gonna be a big 'fuck you' cliffhanger, like one of those that just makes you break shit in your house.

Oh, and fuck yes to baby Yoda force choking Cara Dune  :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: December 18, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »

Yeah, it all came together very nicely for sure...and I got a real shitty feeling that the last episode is gonna be a big 'fuck you' cliffhanger, like one of those that just makes you break shit in your house.

Oh, and fuck yes to baby Yoda force choking Cara Dune  :metal

I have zero complaints as to how they’ve progressed the show. It’s done really well. There’s an underlying story going on with episodic ‘issues’ that drive the narrative.

Online Adami

« Reply #1615 on: December 18, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
The show is really good.

If I had one complaint, it’s that the show is a bit....too light. Like it feels more like a really tasty snack rather than a filling meal. However, that seems to be what they’re going for and they’re nailing it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: December 18, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »
The show is really good.

If I had one complaint, it’s that the show is a bit....too light. Like it feels more like a really tasty snack rather than a filling meal. However, that seems to be what they’re going for and they’re nailing it.

They’re spoon feeding us instead of just opening the buffet line.....and it’s working.

Honestly if I had to ‘complain’ I’d just wish for longer episodes. Doesn’t even have to be a full hour....do the 40-43 minute range like the EXPANSE and other shows. But that’s a minor quibble.

Online Adami

« Reply #1617 on: December 18, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
That’s not really what I meant.

The show wasn’t trying to be heavy. It’s trying to be (mostly) light. And it’s doing an amazing job. I was just hoping for something heavier. But it’s all good. Loving the show.

Can we also show some love for Brendan Wayne for playing the Mandalorian? A lot of the acting is in the physical mannerisms and Brendan is crushing it. Wish he was getting more credit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1618 on: December 18, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »
24 hours to go for my show tomorrow. It should be fun. I'm also done with my re-watch of all movies. Last Jedi has probably my favorite story and some amazing visuals. The throne room fight being my favorite scene. Plus the fight with Kylo Ren and Luke. Rey getting trained with Luke, Yoda force burning the temple, The force bridge with Ren and Rey. So many great beats. I don't mind the Canto Bight sequence, I like the theme of failure throughout the movie and almost losing out.

There are of course issues with movie, no doubt, I wish they had toned the humor down, they didn't translate well at times and just very forced. Some of the sequences could have been setup a little better. The battle of Krait was fun and great but Finn and Rose sequence was oddly shot. As cool as the destruction of the destroyer was with light speed, Finn and Rose being almost executed in front of a battalion of storm troopers only to wake up with no one in sight was a bit jarring.

But still overall I enjoyed the movie tremendously. I look forward to the conclusion, I have enjoyed the 4 new star wars movies a lot more than the prequels, warts and all.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: December 18, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »
Can we also show some love for Brendan Wayne for playing the Mandalorian? A lot of the acting is in the physical mannerisms and Brendan is crushing it. Wish he was getting more credit.

Pedro Pascal is the actor playing the Mandalorian. Who's Brendan Wayne?

***edit*** just looking him up. Interesting. I thought Pascal was under the armor as well. I agree that the mannerisms are very good to come across the way they do.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: December 18, 2019, 09:21:54 PM »
24 hours to go for my show tomorrow.

9:30 Central for me and my crew.

Online Adami

« Reply #1621 on: December 18, 2019, 09:31:09 PM »

Pedro Pascal is the actor playing the Mandalorian. Who's Brendan Wayne?

***edit*** just looking him up. Interesting. I thought Pascal was under the armor as well. I agree that the mannerisms are very good to come across the way they do.

Exactly my point. Not enough people know about his role.

Also he’s John Wayne’s grandson
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1622 on: December 18, 2019, 09:33:43 PM »
Yeah, I meant to mention in my post about Ep 7 is that people these days don't appreciate the slow burn. Me, I love when a story takes it time and slowly builds up to the end game. Of course, it also needs to stay interesting during the slow burn. For me, this show does it.

From what I have read, Pedro is in the armor quite a bit but for a lot of the stunts and stuff, he isn't. Bryce Dallas Howard directed the episode that introduced Cara and she mentioned that Pedro was not available during the shooting of that entire episode so there is no physical appearance of Pedro at all. You just get his voice work.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1623 on: December 18, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
Just watched the new episode, awesome stuff. I felt bad for the two animals that got killed and wtf at the end :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1624 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:54 PM »
Just watched the new episode, awesome stuff. I felt bad for the two animals that got killed and wtf at the end :(

Like I said, they're hella setting us up for a total heartbreak man, I just feel it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: December 19, 2019, 06:19:22 AM »

Like I said, they're hella setting us up for a total heartbreak man, I just feel it.

If they harm one hair on his fuzzy little head I will die.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1626 on: December 19, 2019, 07:07:36 AM »

If they harm one hair on his fuzzy little head I will die.

I'm with ya bro.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1627 on: December 19, 2019, 07:27:57 AM »
24 hours to go for my show tomorrow.

9:30 Central for me and my crew.

6:30 for me tonight!

Online Adami

« Reply #1628 on: December 19, 2019, 07:31:54 AM »
Saturday at 3:15 haha. Couldn't get good tickets earlier without a long drive.

But tonight is TFA and tomorrow night is TLJ. So I should be primed and ready to go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1629 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
I had to move my ROS showing from tonight to tomorrow afternoon. Just can't afford to stay out as late tonight as I was planning on. Hopefully I can remain spoiler free. I've already heard more about critic's general reactions than I wanted to hear.

Online Adami

« Reply #1630 on: December 19, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »
Yea. I've heard the spoiler free reviews by most of the people that I trust, and they weren't great.

They ranged from "Movie is not good, but has really good moments" to "Movie is fun, but a mess and a 6.5/10".

Obviously I think most fans are going to absolutely love it, but I'll go in with the same expectations I always do. I just want a well written, well directed, well acted movie that makes sense.

And as always, I am super excited to have the battle that will wage after the movie. Where the movie has to either be a burning dumpster fire or a perfect piece of art that is flawless. Criticisms will either be super exaggerated or completely dismissed. No one will be allowed to enjoy the film and admit it's deeply flawed. If they enjoy it, it's because it's AMAZING, and anyone who disagrees is a hater. If someone finds it flawed, then people who disagree are blind fanboys.

Fun times we live in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: December 19, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
I cannot wait for RedLetterMedia's Half In The Bag video on The Rise of Skywalker. Rich, Jay, and Mike are just amazing at what they do and they put me in fits of laughter. Then after the Blu-Ray comes out, Mr. Plinkett's TROS review will come out and that will be glorious like the rest.

I just bought my ticket for 9:30 tonight on a massive screen (but not IMAX) so this evening will be fun. Somehow managed to snag an almost-center-of-room seat at the last minute!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1632 on: December 19, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
I have never found those funny.  Not even a little bit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: December 19, 2019, 08:00:25 AM »
I have never found those funny.  Not even a little bit.

Filing this under "least surprising reveal ever."  :lol To me they're comedy gold. Tastes!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1634 on: December 19, 2019, 08:28:21 AM »
8:45 on the giant screen for me....

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: December 19, 2019, 08:30:12 AM »
And as always, I am super excited to have the battle that will wage after the movie. Where the movie has to either be a burning dumpster fire or a perfect piece of art that is flawless. Criticisms will either be super exaggerated or completely dismissed. No one will be allowed to enjoy the film and admit it's deeply flawed. If they enjoy it, it's because it's AMAZING, and anyone who disagrees is a hater. If someone finds it flawed, then people who disagree are blind fanboys.

I get the funny feeling that there will be a lot of things re-typed and said that have been said about the past (2) efforts in this new trilogy....from both sides. I'm personally hoping that there is much to discuss and talk about without having to 'go there' but I don't hold out much hope that the conversation won't just end at where it's been after TLJ.

Might just watch the movie tonight.....drop in here and throw my two cents in in small font......and then try to stay out of it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: December 19, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »
8:45 on the giant screen for me....

IMAX or just a really big Screen?   We're doing the Dream Lounger's in the Super Screen DLX theater. Had to go 3D in order to get (5) seats continuous....center....back row but I don't mind 3D and the boys dig it also. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1637 on: December 19, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »
I'm watching it on Dolby cinema  Which I personally think is better than IMAX. At least better than the setups I have seen here. The sound is fantastic in the Dolby theaters here.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #1638 on: December 19, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
I'm watching it on Dolby cinema  Which I personally think is better than IMAX. At least better than the setups I have seen here. The sound is fantastic in the Dolby theaters here.

Sometimes I watch a movie or listen to a record and wish it were mixed in Dobly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: December 19, 2019, 08:53:31 AM »

The local Marcus Theater here took over from Wherenberg a couple years back....they installed Dolby in every room whereas it wasn't in all of them before. they then made (5) of the (14) screens the 'dream lounger' seats which is pretty nice.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1640 on: December 19, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
The AMC I'm going to did the same. They renovated all their screens and for a majority of halls put in the lounge seats with a big gap between the chairs. I think they only have a capacity of 100  max per hall. 10 chairs in each row. It's always a great experience. You can't see the people in the rows below you, so if someone is on their phone I have no idea.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: December 19, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
All I know is that one of my local theaters has something called the "Big D" experience and, well, I'm a little scared.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1642 on: December 19, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
Just to confirm:  I do NOT plan to be at any of your local theaters.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: December 19, 2019, 09:48:18 AM »
Just to confirm:  I do NOT plan to be at any of your local theaters.

Come on, bosk, you can get the Big D experience. My treat.  :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1644 on: December 19, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »

Sometimes I watch a movie or listen to a record and wish it were mixed in Dobly.

Dublin?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude