Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248197 times)

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #490 on: February 15, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »
How Star Wars The Last Jedi Should Have Ended

I love these.  This one even addresses a few things the critics and fanboys had trouble with, which is extra fun.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #491 on: February 15, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
How Star Wars The Last Jedi Should Have Ended

I love these.  This one even addresses a few things the critics and fanboys had trouble with, which is extra fun.

The Ackbar stuff was hilarious.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
“Do you know what this is? ITS. A. TRAAAPPPP!!!”  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
The beginning is actually really spot on. The First Order had no issues blowing up entire god damn planets on a whim, yet they will casually have an Abbot and Costello act with an x-wing fighter pilot? No, they're blowing him up on the spot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:56:23 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
I agree with the entire video. Would have strongly preferred that it went that way.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #495 on: February 15, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »
Don't agree with everything, but yeah some of the stuff pretty decently addresses issues I had with the movie.

Online Adami

« Reply #496 on: February 15, 2018, 11:37:04 PM »
Don't agree with everything, but yeah some of the stuff pretty decently addresses issues I had with the movie.

You don't agree with Kylo on the toilet? Psht.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #497 on: February 16, 2018, 12:34:51 AM »
It offends me greatly.  :censored

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #498 on: February 22, 2018, 08:19:04 AM »
Honestly, I don't see what the issue is either way.  Just because the force and lightsabers are involved doesn't mean it's just rehashing the same old thing.  Not sure what your problem is with that, Blob, but people obviously enjoy the films.  If you don't, don't watch them.  Not sure where the hostility is coming from.

And on the flip side, if they want to do some standalone films in the SW universe that don't have anything to do with the force, that's cool too.  The "point" is that it is supposed to be an entire galaxy, so there is plenty of story to be told if they have some good ideas.  To use an example, thus far, Daredevil has had no crossover whatsoever that I am aware of with the Avengers-based Marvel Universe.  So what's the point of even telling that story and having it be Marvel?  The point is that it's a good story.  And it doesn't NEED to have the Avengers in it to be a good Marvel story. 

I think that Star Wars will always face an uphill battle when it comes to originality versus tradition.

Go too far in one direction and you lose the magic. For example, it sounded like the Han Solo movie was going to be a slapstick comedy in the Star Wars universe. I think that would have reduced Star Wars to merely a setting and missed the point a bit. Star Wars is way more than just a universe to do random stuff in. You need adventure, characters, a hint of seriousness, etc.

On the other hand, I also think that if you repeat yourself too much, things start to feel pointless. For example, while I enjoyed The Last Jedi, I also feel like we're right back to where we were during the original trilogy. It's the Rebels / Resistance versus the Empire / First Order for all the marbles. The more the same conflict happens, the less significant each trilogy seems, at least to me. That said, Episode IX could do something crazy and send us on a whole new course. I'm excited to see what happens.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #499 on: February 22, 2018, 09:25:34 AM »
Anyone watch the new episodes of Rebels? Sad that there are only 4 episodes left but I'm excited to see how they conclude the series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Anyone watch the new episodes of Rebels? Sad that there are only 4 episodes left but I'm excited to see how they conclude the series.

I'm anxiously awaiting Rebels to hit Netflix or another streaming service. By the time I and my kiddos got in to Clone Wars, Rebels had already been on for a couple seasons so we were behind. We'll just have to wait for the series to hit streaming.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »
I still haven't finished Clone Wars.  Every time I start, I forget where I left off.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #502 on: February 23, 2018, 01:08:59 AM »
Surprise and impressed by the latest Rebels.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Novel Opens With a Line About Luke Skywalker's Wife

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/25/star-wars-the-last-jedi-novel-lukes-wife/

Wut... 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #504 on: February 25, 2018, 10:33:19 PM »
Hm, interesting. Since this isn't in the movie, I bet JJ will just ignore it, since they don't have any overarching plan.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
so NOW we know the real reason as to why Luke marooned himself on an island, not to be found. He was F'n married and hiding from his nag of a wife.

Online Adami

« Reply #506 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
so NOW we know the real reason as to why Luke marooned himself on an island, not to be found. He was F'n married and hiding from his nag of a wife.

Maybe that was his wife on the beach with the milk?

MIND BLOWN!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #507 on: February 26, 2018, 10:08:36 AM »

MIND BLOWN!

And the Porg's are their offspring?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #508 on: February 26, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »

MIND BLOWN!

And the Porg's are their offspring?

Is that even in question?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »
Did anybody catch the two latest Rebels episodes?

SPOILERS!!

In the episode, Ezra goes into a Jedi temple and ends up in a "world between worlds". Basically it is a time travel conduit of the "cosmic force" or whatever. And he uses the conduit to save Ahsoka from her duel against Vader.

It was weird. Not sure how I feel about time travel being possible in Star Wars..

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
Did anybody catch the two latest Rebels episodes?

SPOILERS!!

In the episode, Ezra goes into a Jedi temple and ends up in a "world between worlds". Basically it is a time travel conduit of the "cosmic force" or whatever. And he uses the conduit to save Ahsoka from her duel against Vader.

It was weird. Not sure how I feel about time travel being possible in Star Wars..

Just watched last night. I think the idea is interesting and opens a ton of possible scenarios going forward. I'm cool with it.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #511 on: March 01, 2018, 11:39:56 PM »
I’m also not sure what to think. ”Whoever controls it, controls the universe”, is almost so big it becomes silly. Gaining control of this temple should have been the main focus of every single movie and TV show if that was the case. Also, what stops the Emperor from just getting in there? The episode clearly demonstrated that he knew how to do it.

It was a cool inclusion, but I think it was a bit overly ambitions and didn’t make much sense. Glad Ashoka is back, though.

I also freaked out a bit when I heard Rey’s voice.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2018, 03:49:47 AM »
That was a nice wrap up to Rebels, and it actually opened up to MORE Star Wars stories to be explored in other mediuns, maybe a movie!

Captain Rex fighting with the Rebel alliance in the OT timeline is HUGE!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2018, 04:35:26 AM »
Finale episode was solid. I'm not sure what to think of Ahsoka and Ezra? surviving the Original Trilogy era. "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be". Beside Luke, there is at least one and possibly two other surviving Jedi. That seems like a retcon to me.

And the finale leaves little doubt in my mind, that the next animated series takes place between RoTJ and TFA. Ahsoka and Sabine are searching for Ezra. We get to see the rise and fall of Luke's academy, and the origins of the First Order.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2018, 05:45:20 AM »
I think Yoda just didn’t know about the others. He’s powerful, but he’s not all-knowing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2018, 07:19:44 AM »
Finale episode was solid. I'm not sure what to think of Ahsoka and Ezra? surviving the Original Trilogy era. "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be". Beside Luke, there is at least one and possibly two other surviving Jedi. That seems like a retcon to me.

And the finale leaves little doubt in my mind, that the next animated series takes place between RoTJ and TFA. Ahsoka and Sabine are searching for Ezra. We get to see the rise and fall of Luke's academy, and the origins of the First Order.

I would be down for that show. Sabine was easily my favorite character from Rebels and Ahsoka is an amazing character as well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: March 07, 2018, 08:28:28 AM »
Ahsoka is an amazing character as well.

Disney HAS to find a way to 'educate' the average Star Wars fan who doesn't know her character to where they can make a stand alone movie centered around her. I've yet to watch Rebels.....but have seen clips on youtube of her appearances.....but I plan to watch the series. But, I'm sure there's plenty of things they could do with her story that haven't been explored.

Has anyone read the book that was written about her? I've thought about getting it and reading it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #517 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
I don't think anyone "needs" to be educated about a cartoon character.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #518 on: March 07, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »

That.
And there's little Disney can do to make a character from a cartoon spinoff recognizable/bankable enough for a standalone movie. Too niche for the average SW fan (like me), and there are many more obvious side movies worth making first.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #519 on: March 07, 2018, 08:38:08 AM »
Can we finally get a 3 hour spin off movie about how the Sarlack digests people for 1000 years?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: March 07, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »

And there's little Disney can do to make a character from a cartoon spinoff recognizable/bankable enough for a standalone movie. Too niche for the average SW fan (like me), and there are many more obvious side movies worth making first.

I think that character would be incredible to explore. Far more enjoyable than say a Boba Fett or other ancillary character that was 'cool' merely because of his costume. If done correctly they could make a solid 2 plus hour movie about Ahsoka where you wouldn't need to be 'educated' about who she is to still enjoy the movie and leave loving her character.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #521 on: March 07, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »
Yes, she probably is a much "better" or more compelling character than, say, Boba Fett.  But that misses the point.  There isn't likely a big enough market for her character to justify a movie, nor is there likely to be even if she were marketed to the general public.  Disney has a pretty careful plan for Star Wars, and they aren't going to screw it up by making something that wouldn't have a market.  The market is getting somewhat "saturated" by having a film every year or so, and I would expect that to continue through about 2025 or so.  By then, I think people will be tired of Star Wars, unless the franchise takes on a new direction in the next trilogy that people find REALLY compelling.  But otherwise, they will make a TON of money for the next 6-8 years, and then likely let it die down for awhile before doing anything new.  And in terms of marketing strategy, they're golden by doing that.  Again, they will have made a ton from the films themselves.  They will also have had Star Wars lands up and running for awhile in their parks.  The combination will have a whole new generation of Star Wars fans locked in and loving the franchise, which will sell merchandise pretty steadily for at least another decade beyond that.  So, they don't need to take a risk on a character like Ahsoka for a film.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2018, 09:59:44 AM »
Yes, she probably is a much "better" or more compelling character than, say, Boba Fett.  But that misses the point.  There isn't likely a big enough market for her character to justify a movie, nor is there likely to be even if she were marketed to the general public.  Disney has a pretty careful plan for Star Wars, and they aren't going to screw it up by making something that wouldn't have a market.  The market is getting somewhat "saturated" by having a film every year or so, and I would expect that to continue through about 2025 or so.  By then, I think people will be tired of Star Wars, unless the franchise takes on a new direction in the next trilogy that people find REALLY compelling.  But otherwise, they will make a TON of money for the next 6-8 years, and then likely let it die down for awhile before doing anything new.  And in terms of marketing strategy, they're golden by doing that.  Again, they will have made a ton from the films themselves.  They will also have had Star Wars lands up and running for awhile in their parks.  The combination will have a whole new generation of Star Wars fans locked in and loving the franchise, which will sell merchandise pretty steadily for at least another decade beyond that.  So, they don't need to take a risk on a character like Ahsoka for a film.

I completely agree with what you're saying and understand that her character is a risk. It's just a bummer to think about being that it's such a cool character. Wonder if they'd consider another animated series based around her 'lost' years or something? Seems like such a waste to NOT do something with her.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
But otherwise, they will make a TON of money for the next 6-8 years, and then likely let it die down for awhile before doing anything new. 

do you think they'd ever re-boot the original story.....start from the beginning and redo Episodes 1 thru 6? Say in, fifteen....twenty years?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #524 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »
I hope they don't do that. They're much better off starting a whole new saga in the Star Wars universe than redoing the original one. But, once George Lucas is dead and gone and the money and ideas are drying up a bit for new Star Wars films, it's not outside the realm of possibility that they would do a complete reboot.