Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248390 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #420 on: February 02, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
I'm much closer to TOX.  I just liked it, period.  I get that some people don't like the issues you pointed out, Orbert.  I just object to them being called "holes."  They aren't.  They were conscious decisions, albeit controversial ones.  If people choose not to like them, that's all fine.  But they aren't just mistakes--they were conscious, creative decisions that are intentionally jarring.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
You're right.  None of those are actual holes.  They're just stuff that people wanted but didn't get.

But at the same time, The Force Awakens did seem to hint at much more to be revealed, and we didn't get it (yet?)

No real background on Snoke, I can live with.  Stuff we thought we'd get but didn't, okay.  Chewy and Finn are now bit players.  But if Rey's parents really were nobodies, and she's not related to the Skywalkers, then what the hell was that when she first touched Luke's light saber back at Maz's place?  All the voices, including Obi-Wan's for some reason.  That really seemed to indicate much more than "Oh, she's Force-sensitive and picked up vibes from it."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »
But if Rey's parents really were nobodies, and she's not related to the Skywalkers, then what the hell was that when she first touched Luke's light saber back at Maz's place?  All the voices, including Obi-Wan's for some reason.  That really seemed to indicate much more than "Oh, she's Force-sensitive and picked up vibes from it."

But I think the point from TLJ is that BOTH are true.  She IS force-sensitive.  AND she is not related to the Skywalkers.  She is force-sensitive just because she is.  The force "chose" her for some reason unrelated to the Skywalker line, and that's kinda cool, isn't it, for at least a couple of reasons?  First, I think it makes for a better overall story that, as Rian Johnson really tried to highlight in this last installment, the potential to be a hero is for EVERYBODY (in varying degrees), and the force is, to an extent, an extension of that.  Second, just from a creative storytelling point of view, it makes sense after all this time to start to shift away from the Skywalkers, doesn't it? 

So, my point is, I don't see why there is any conflict between VII and VIII. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online kaos2900

« Reply #423 on: February 02, 2018, 12:36:28 PM »
Rian Johnson has stated several times that Rey's parentage was done the way it was because it was the hardest thing for her to hear at the time. It's still possible, especially with JJ coming back to direct the next film, that she really isn't a nobody but that Snoke deceived both Kylo and Rey with that information. Now whether or not she's a Skywalker, or Kenobi or whatever is yet to be seen. Personally I like the way that TLJ ended because it really leaves pretty much everything up in the air for Episode 9. Really the only thing we know that's going to happen is that Leia won't be in it and Kylo will either die or turn good.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #424 on: February 02, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
I guess.  It's not a rule that the Star Wars saga has to be The Skywalker Family saga.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #425 on: February 02, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
I guess.  It's not a rule that the Star Wars saga has to be The Skywalker Family saga.

It mostly is. I just don't think EVERYTHING has to be. Ren is still kind of a skywalker. I don't think Rey needs anyone important.

In fact, one of the best things, I feel, about TLJ was saying that Rey's parents were nobodies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online kaos2900

« Reply #426 on: February 02, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
I had a post a while back stating that I felt that Kylo's ark really is primary one in this trilogy. He's a Skywalker, and now with Luke and Leia gone he's the last Skywalker. We know that Episode 9 is the final film in the Skywalker saga so it would make sense that Kylo dies and the Skywalker line goes extinct. Rey will probably be responsible for the Jedi 2.0 so to speak and the galaxy moves on to a time of relative peace as it was prior to the Clone Wars.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: February 02, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
We know that Episode 9 is the final film in the Skywalker saga...

Funny. In 1983 we knew that Episode 6 was the final film in the Skywalker saga.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #428 on: February 02, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
I think the core saga should be about the Skywalker's. If Ben Solo dies in 9, it should end. That doesn't mean there can't be more movies with Rey restarting the Jedi order or something. They just shouldn't be "Episodes".

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #429 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:06 PM »
Also Orbert, it's a Porg, not a Puffin. This is important.
Same genus, different species.  They all taste exactly the same.

Oh, come on!  Nobody?

Too obscure, I guess.  That's a quote from ALF.  Oh well.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #430 on: February 02, 2018, 09:55:11 PM »
Also Orbert, it's a Porg, not a Puffin. This is important.
Same genus, different species.  They all taste exactly the same.

Oh, come on!  Nobody?

Too obscure, I guess.  That's a quote from ALF.  Oh well.

Don't worry Bob, no one will judge you for that either.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2018, 05:59:55 PM »
I don't know why they wasted time on that teaser if they're releasing a full trailer tomorrow. They really need to come out of the gate with all they've got on this, because this does nothing at all to give me confidence yet. On the plus side, there's nothing bad in there, but there's just kind of nothing. Very little shown of Han yet, very little of the Falcon (I can't even tell if those leaked promo images were true or not). Lando still managed to steal the show with his one shot though. :lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:35:03 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2018, 07:23:43 PM »
Saw the Solo trailer tonight during the Super Bowl.  Didn't hear it, just saw it.  I was working out and had my iPod on while watching the game.

Looked like a Star Wars movie.  Sounded like Chicago at Carnegie Hall.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:33 PM »
Looks really cool.

Online Adami

« Reply #434 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:45 PM »
Looks really cool.

I mean, the effects looked cool. The trailer didn't look like anything at all. Just a bunch of establishing shots.

Did anyone expect bad effects and visuals?

But this is a trailer for the trailer tomorrow? I dunno. Obviously that one will include more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2018, 10:16:58 PM »
I find it hard to get excited about nothing but CGI and a few glancing shots of characters. My last concern on a big budget Hollywood movie is the visuals.
Should I be concerned how little they showed of the main character given the reports of so many reshoots and needing an acting coach? I don't even know yet. Am I going to be able to sit through this movie for two hours and pretend this dude is Han Solo? No idea. A teaser doesn't show enough to address those concerns. This doesn't even get me excited about seeing the full trailer.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2018, 12:51:45 AM »
Looked cool on first glance! But let's judge this thing tomorrow when we have the full trailer..

I'm wondering though, where in the timeline this takes place?

Falcon looks really clean inside, and Han looks like barely a teenager.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2018, 12:59:05 AM »
Looked cool on first glance! But let's judge this thing tomorrow when we have the full trailer..

I'm wondering though, where in the timeline this takes place?

Falcon looks really clean inside, and Han looks like barely a teenager.

Alden Ehrenreich is about 7 years younger than Harrison Ford was for ANH, so maybe 5-10 years before ANH. The movie may not be that specific about it.
I'm pretty sure Han wins the Falcon in this movie (along with every other bit of backstory they could shoehorn in), so I guess it was either new or well kept before Han got his hands on it and started smuggling.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2018, 07:04:26 AM »
Well, the full trailer did not make any difference. I'm not feeling that this is Han Solo, and the Falcon isn't even the familiar design from the OT (but I guess they needed new merch to sell to the kiddies). Didn't see any dialogue from Lando either. The start of the trailer was just a massive WTF and I thought it was a joke at first. The rest was eh.
I'll be seeing the movie anyway, but I'm expecting it to be very average.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #439 on: February 05, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
Hmmm, I'm not feeling it either. From what I've seen so far I think it will be an uphill battle to convince people that this guy is Han Solo.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 05, 2018, 07:28:39 AM »
That was always going to be a problem from the moment this film was announced, which is why many people have not been too happy about it happening at all.
Wanna bet the action sequence at the end of the trailer is Han doing the Kessel run?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #441 on: February 05, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Hmmm, I'm not feeling it either. From what I've seen so far I think it will be an uphill battle to convince people that this guy is Han Solo.

The only way it’ll even be close is if this dude was able to capture Harrison Fords mannerisms and speech patterns that he used portraying Han. IF he did that then that’d be easier to digest him as young Han. I just don’t see how one could pull that off though......Han is so Iconic that it’s a near impossible task.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
Definitely "iconic" is the word for such a character.

I'm not sure what choice the filmmakers had - you either get someone to do a good impersonation of Harrison Ford, maybe like that guy from Age of Adaline, but who possibly isn't that great of an actor. Or, you get someone else with their own style, but with an equal amount of charm and charisma.

I don't think we got either of those things in that trailer. Still, time will tell..

Online Adami

« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
That somehow looked worse than the initial teaser trailer.

In the initial teaser, that shot of the star destroyer in the whatever vortex looking thing was really cool, but the expanded scene of it was just silly and over the top.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2018, 08:04:27 AM »
Definitely "iconic" is the word for such a character.

I'm not sure what choice the filmmakers had - you either get someone to do a good impersonation of Harrison Ford, maybe like that guy from Age of Adaline, but who possibly isn't that great of an actor. Or, you get someone else with their own style, but with an equal amount of charm and charisma.

I don't think we got either of those things in that trailer. Still, time will tell..

After this trailer, plus the reports of them bringing in an acting coach for Alden, I'm kinda wishing they'd gone with the lookalike. I don't think Harrison Ford's acting was all that great in the OT, so at least give me someone who looks the part.
Alden Ehrenreich is definitely in a no-win position here though, so it was always going to be a tough sell for audiences. Play it too close, and people will say you're impersonating. Stray too far, and people won't accept you playing the part.

That somehow looked worse than the initial teaser trailer.

In the initial teaser, that shot of the star destroyer in the whatever vortex looking thing was really cool, but the expanded scene of it was just silly and over the top.

The whole Fast and Furious section didn't help either.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #445 on: February 05, 2018, 08:40:34 AM »
I generally liked what I saw, in the trailer.

But there is something that feels off from Ehrenreich's portrayal of Han in this trailer. He doesn't sound like Han at all. There are some vague similarities, which really makes me wonder where in the timeline this takes place? I can sort off buy him as a 18 year old Han, but any older than that and it start's to be on really shaky ground.

I don't envy Ehrenreich in the position that he's in. He is sure as hell going to get trashed by a certain corner of the fanbase.

But again, i liked what I saw! Shame Donald Glover didn't have any lines in this trailer..

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #446 on: February 05, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »
I liked what I saw, but trailers don't usually tell a whole lot about the quality of the film. As with others, I'll see this, but don't have high expectations.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: February 05, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »
That almost looked like a parody, as if Seth McFarland or someone made a mock trailer of a movie no one would actually make.

Ehrenreich (I'm never going to learn how to spell that so it's going to be CTRL-C/V for me) seemed alright. Having someone do an impersonation is never going to work in a situation like this. DeNiro didn't do an impression of Brando in Godfather II. He incorporated a few mannerisms, but he it was largely his own role, and no one ever said "He doesn't look/act enough like Brando!"

The biggest weakness will probably be the story. Rogue One had a story to tell, regardless if you think it was told well. What's the story here?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #448 on: February 05, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »
Ewan McGregor worked his ass off to come across as a legitimate young Obi-Wan - studying/practicing Sir Alec for months to get his tone, accent, inflections, mannerisms etc...  I know it's only a couple of minutes, but I get NONE of that here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online kaos2900

« Reply #449 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
I like the tone and grittiness of the trailer. Very similar to Rogue One. I have the same concerns about the actor portraying Han. I agree with whoever said that if this is 18-20 year old Han the experiences in this film may make him the character we see in Episode IV so I'm not expecting a 100% Ford impersonation. I have low expectations which mean I'll probably love it.  ;)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #450 on: February 05, 2018, 10:48:45 AM »
I was hoping to hear Jabba's laugh at the very end of that trailer as the screen goes black for a moment.. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #451 on: February 05, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »
If Jabba's in it I hope he's a giant giant rubber slug with two dudes inside and not CGI.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #452 on: February 05, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
I really hope they don't try to cram too much into one movie. We don't need to learn how he met Chewie, won the Falcon, met Lando, and did the kessel run all in one film, but I think that's what we're going to get. Not that I necessarily wanted them to plan on a Solo trilogy right off the bat, either...

Online Adami

« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »
I really hope they don't try to cram too much into one movie. We don't need to learn how he met Chewie, won the Falcon, met Lando, and did the kessel run all in one film, but I think that's what we're going to get. Not that I necessarily wanted them to plan on a Solo trilogy right off the bat, either...

All of that plus how he got his name.

Honestly if they ditched Chewie and Lando, redid the ship as the Outider, and changed his name to Dash Rendar, you’d have something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
I really hope they don't try to cram too much into one movie. We don't need to learn how he met Chewie, won the Falcon, met Lando, and did the kessel run all in one film, but I think that's what we're going to get.

I would think that that's exactly what we're going to get.  But if you think about it, they should be able to include those four things in a movie without it feeling overpacked.  A couple of well-scripted scenes each would cover each of the first three, and the Kessel Run could be the big "action" sequence.  Throw in a couple of scenes with him smuggling and evading the Empire bad guys, and you've got a movie.  I'm saying that that they can do it, but I think it's possible, and those are the four things I'm pretty sure most fans would want to see.