Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi  (Read 25960 times)

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Kabbalah
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #910 on: October 23, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »
Finally saw Solo.  I went in with low expectations, and it far exceeded them.  I actually thought it was really good.  Really, the only ding is that it did feel a bit contrived at times that virtually everything revealed about Han's past was developed in this relatively narrow span of time and this one mission.  But then again, it's not like we need a ton of expansion on Solo's back story in other films, so it was fine here.  Nice addition to the SW universe.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  • AnybodyListening.net
    • AnybodyListening.net - The Ultimate Guide to Queensr˙che's Original Lineup!
« Reply #911 on: October 23, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »
Finally saw Solo.  I went in with low expectations, and it far exceeded them.  I actually thought it was really good.  Really, the only ding is that it did feel a bit contrived at times that virtually everything revealed about Han's past was developed in this relatively narrow span of time and this one mission.  But then again, it's not like we need a ton of expansion on Solo's back story in other films, so it was fine here.  Nice addition to the SW universe.

Glad you liked it. I think it got a really bad rap. Good film.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #912 on: October 23, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »
I thought it was better than expected, since people seemed to shit on it, but I also didn't think it was great.  A solid movie, just nothing spectacular.  Feels like since it's a star wars movie, it will get a lot more criticism if it's not great.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Kabbalah
« Reply #913 on: October 23, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
I thought it was better than expected, since people seemed to shit on it, but I also didn't think it was great.  A solid movie, just nothing spectacular.  Feels like since it's a star wars movie, it will get a lot more criticism if it's not great.

It is at least better than ep. I and ep. II.  Not sure where I would ultimately rank it (or that there is any point in ranking it).  It was a fun story.  It was well put-together.  It felt like Star Wars.  That's good enough for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: October 23, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »
I thought it was fine. It's a shame it flopped so badly from all the bad press and Star Wars fatigue.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #915 on: October 25, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »
Yea, it suffered by being a star wars film IMO.  The fatigue plus high expectations, not that it's actually based in the SW universe.  Movie wasn't bad at all and not deserving of the shitstorm it got.  I don't think being better than Episodes 1 or 2 is saying much though, but I'd agree based on my one viewing of the movie.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #916 on: October 25, 2018, 02:51:53 PM »
I still haven't bought Solo on blu ray, but as I reflect back, it was a fun Star Wars adventure.

It was super predictable, and they were riffing all the greatest hits from Han's backstory, but they managed to make a fun SW romp from all those predictable elements. The cast was good, particularly Glover as Lando and they nailed the camaraderie between Lando and Han. As well as Han and Chewie.

However, that Imperial recruitment officer giving Han he's last name was just dumb. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #917 on: October 25, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »
Yeah, that scene was supposed to riff off of the scene where young Vito Andolini comes to America and is given the name Corleone because he's from the village of Corleone in Sicily and the agent at Ellis Island was an idiot.  I mean, that's what it seemed to me right off the bat, and later I read that it was intentional, but that just confirmed that it wasn't really well done.

But Lucas came up with the name Solo because it fit the character, no other reason.  So they had some fun with it.  I guess I don't blame them for that; it was the execution that was awkward.