Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248139 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #735 on: June 05, 2018, 07:41:29 AM »
There is no doubt in my mind that The Clone Wars series easily made Episode I and Episode II better. There are a few dud episodes as mentioned but on the whole it totally worth checking out. Same goes for Rebels.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #736 on: June 05, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »
There is no doubt in my mind that The Clone Wars series easily made Episode I and Episode II better. There are a few dud episodes as mentioned but on the whole it totally worth checking out. Same goes for Rebels.

Yeah, I can agree.....a bit. I still don't like Ep. I and II all that much but at least Clone Wars 'helped' those movies out.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #737 on: June 09, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #738 on: June 13, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
I just looked up the plot synopsis to refresh my memory.  Yeah, it wasn't very good.  I forgot that that was the baby Jabba episode.  And in fairness, I think there are episodes of TCW series that are of that quality.  But they are few and far between, especially once you get a few episodes in and it finds its feet.  The vast majority are a lot better than that.

I started watching The Clone Wars series a few days ago and am six episodes in.  The first episode was really bad.  It felt like the writer was trying to insert "Star Warsy" phrases at every opportunity and thought that to put the predicate of the sentence at the beginning is the only thing needed to write dialog for Yoda.  I almost gave up.  It's improving.  Although Ahsoka is still fairly annoying, they've managed to make Anakin into something other than a whiny, sand-hating bitch.  I found a chart titled "So you want to watch The Clone Wars but don't want to watch every episode."  I'll watch all of it, but I will be sure to pay a bit more attention to the "key" episodes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #739 on: June 15, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »
Just watched solo. I enjoyed it quite a bit

I really loved Woody Harrelson's character.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:39:58 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #740 on: June 15, 2018, 06:01:44 PM »
Just to clarify that Clone Wars and Rebels aren't "extended universe", they're official canon as far as I know. Other than the movies, I think they're only other canon products.

Clone Wars was the only non-movie product created before the disney acquisition that is considered canon. But everything produced after is canon too. That accounts for at least 30 books, and 400 comics (as released by Marvel), and Rebels.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #741 on: June 15, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »
Finally saw Solo.

Meh. I'd give it a C+ or so.

The main dude playing Han was good. Lando was great. In fact, most of the characters were good. The directing was mostly good as well. But the writing was just REALLY weak. I saw everything coming a mile away, and a ton of it made me cringe.

I know it's from the dude who wrote Empire, but this felt like a completely heartless and soulless movie. It's sad. But yea, not sure I'll even buy this on blu ray. Probably only better than Episodes II and III.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #742 on: June 17, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »
my kid took me to Solo for Fathers Day.

every time I saw Alden Ehrenreich I kept seeing a mix of a young Dennis Quaid and Bill Hader.  Movie was fun but pretty much paint by numbers.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #743 on: June 20, 2018, 02:59:44 PM »
Collider is reporting that LucasFilm is putting A Star Wars Story spin-offs on hold

https://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

The article says that the rumored Obi-Wan movie was in pre-production, and because of this decision, has been ultimately shut-down. Same with James Mangold Boba Fett film.

That does not mean LucasFilm won't be doing Star Wars Stories or will not revisit Obi-Wan/Boba Felt in the future. It just means at this point in time, the focus is on Episode 9 and the Rian Johnson trilogy.

In my opinion, this is a good thing. As the article states, the Star Wars Story films haven't exactly been produced smoothly. Josh Trank being fired and his Boba Fett movie being cancelled. Rogue One's reshoots. Solo's directors firing and extensive reshoots with Ron Howard. I think with a better plan for these films going forward, I think there will be a better reward and merit. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #744 on: June 20, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
If anything should be put on hold it’s Rian Johnson’s movies. Make that permanently too.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #745 on: June 21, 2018, 12:38:32 AM »
Collider is reporting that LucasFilm is putting A Star Wars Story spin-offs on hold

The article says that the rumored Obi-Wan movie was in pre-production, and because of this decision, has been ultimately shut-down. Same with James Mangold Boba Fett film.

That does not mean LucasFilm won't be doing Star Wars Stories or will not revisit Obi-Wan/Boba Felt in the future. It just means at this point in time, the focus is on Episode 9 and the Rian Johnson trilogy.

In my opinion, this is a good thing. As the article states, the Star Wars Story films haven't exactly been produced smoothly. Josh Trank being fired and his Boba Fett movie being cancelled. Rogue One's reshoots. Solo's directors firing and extensive reshoots with Ron Howard. I think with a better plan for these films going forward, I think there will be a better reward and merit.

Assuming that this is true and not just a clickbait from Collider, this is a good thing.

Looking at the numbers, R1 and Solo didn't do as well as the new trilogy movies. So it makes business sense.

Hopefully they have realized that multiple SW movies a year, is a recipe for disaster. Return to releasing one movie a year, or every two years. They can build up the hype for each movie better that way. And good thing IMO that the Rian Johnson trilogy is still happening. I liked TLJ, and I'm interested to see what he does with a blank canvas.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #746 on: June 21, 2018, 02:01:37 AM »
If it's right, I can understand the decision to put the spin off movies on hold, but I think there would still be a reasonable amount of interest in an Obi-Wan movie. Solo was a bit of a risk, to introduce a brand new actor into an iconic role. Any potential Obi-Wan movie won't have that same risk, assuming Ewan has got the part already, but the challenge will be to create a story that's worth telling.

I think if they are taking time to focus on quality, rather than churning out a movie every year or so, then that's gotta be a good thing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #747 on: June 21, 2018, 06:38:49 AM »
I'd love to see a continuation of the Solo story based on Q'ira and her interaction with Maul. Solo doesn't even need to be in it. My opinion is the same with the Marvel films. Make as many as possible as long as they are good. Solo, while unnecessary, was good and I still believe the weak turn out was mostly due to the release date.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #748 on: June 21, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »
Not upset the slightest about throwing the spin-off movies in the trash.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #749 on: June 21, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
Hopefully they have realized that multiple SW movies a year, is a recipe for disaster. Return to releasing one movie a year, or every two years. They can build up the hype for each movie better that way. An

But why?  If they're good movies, why can't they make more than one/year or 2 years?  Marvel seems to have figured out how to do it.  The hype around BP and IW was immense, and they were only 2.5 months apart.  Both took in a shit-ton of money.

The franchise's problem isn't source material or quantity.  It's the movie-making process, execution, and resulting quality.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #750 on: June 21, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
Hopefully they have realized that multiple SW movies a year, is a recipe for disaster. Return to releasing one movie a year, or every two years. They can build up the hype for each movie better that way. An

But why?  If they're good movies, why can't they make more than one/year or 2 years?  Marvel seems to have figured out how to do it.  The hype around BP and IW was immense, and they were only 2.5 months apart.  Both took in a shit-ton of money.

The franchise's problem isn't source material or quantity.  It's the movie-making process, execution, and resulting quality.

This is so dead on right.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #751 on: June 21, 2018, 11:22:56 AM »
My feelings are conflicted.

Part of me is like "The more Star Wars, the better!"

But there's also a part of me that says Star Wars is incredibly special, that I feel like 2 or 3 Star Wars films a year might take that speciality away.

Marvel Studios can get away with it because there's been a build up towards a certain story arc and you have to introduce all these characters and there's also actor contracts to be considered as well. There's a streamline that the casual movie goer can follow.

I don't think it can be like that for Star Wars. The casual movie goer was already confused with the Timeline jumps between the saga films and R1/Solo...doing 2 or 3 Star Wars movies a year with a different timeline will make it more confusing for people who aren't into these movies like us!

I think if they are taking time to focus on quality, rather than churning out a movie every year or so, then that's gotta be a good thing.

Agreed. Be safer than sorry. And again, they've had so many production problems for all the Star Wars Story movies, they need to take a step back for a moment and gauge the situation.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #752 on: June 21, 2018, 11:36:00 AM »
The thing that Marvel/Disney now does so well is that they have a visionary in Kevin Feige. The man is brilliant. Sure there have been less than great movies such a Dark world etc. But for  the most part Feige has created an unprecedented volume of films with different directors.

Think about it, Jon Favreau basically started it, Russo Bros have taken it to a new level,  James Gunn has done wonders.

That is what is amazing about Infinity. The Russo Bros. took all of the actors/characters from various movies and seamlessly put them in an iconic film that works on all levels

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #753 on: June 21, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
Think about it, Disney has it down, wether you like them or not. They have acquired a monster universe (no pun intended). Which is a bit suprising that they had a brain fart on Solo. Disney as a company in all their ventures, parks, movies, hotels etc. pay attention to details.

Bob Iger who runs Disney knows what he is doing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #754 on: June 21, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
About the quoted portion above... I thought there was only one major Star Wars film a year? The Force Awakens was 2015, Rogue One was 2016, Last Jedi was 2017, Solo was 2018. Marvel cranks out 3-4 every year, for several years running.

I have a friend who couldn't be happier about the side films being tossed out even thought he enjoyed Rogue One, but he thinks they're ruining the original stories with episodes 7 and 8. I thought Rogue One was incredibly boring and I don't plan on seeing Solo, and was disappointed with much of The Last Jedi, so I don't understand what they're doing in Star Wars land that they're messing things up so badly (just my opinion). I guess I should do some reading on all that behind the scenes problems plaguing these films, because with such a rich lore from which they could adapt countless stories and worlds, I'm really waiting for them to do something truly new and focus on a completely different aspect of the Star Wars universe.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #755 on: June 21, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
Agreed with the point above. I’m not really saying no to all future Star Wars movies, I just don’t care about a Death Star plan origin movie, or a Han Solo origin movie, or a Yoda origin movie, or a Obi-Wan spin-off movie, or a Boba Fett spin-off movie, or a ’young Aragorn’ TV-show. I don’t care. I’d much rather they pick something new from the vast universe they now have access to. That’s why I’m still on board with the sequel trilogy, they’re advancing the universe, not retconning it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #756 on: June 25, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »

Yeah, I think that is a good thing as well.  I agree with the points about Marvel being able to do it.  But for a lot of reasons, Star Wars isn't Marvel. 

The one thing I will push back on in this post, however, is the R1 reshoots.  That was a very typical occurrence.  It's just that for most films, we don't hear about it.  The way the news of the reshoots was released appears to have really created a false narrative about what was going on. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #757 on: June 25, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
I think the main series is still going well, but now does seem to be a good time to pump the breaks on a lot of the "expanded" universe stuff. As others noted, Star Wars is NOT Marvel. I don't think Star Wars benefits from the Marvel-like approach the Solo strongly moved the series into, i.e., movies that all neatly tie-in together with each other and the main films.

And it doesn't need to. Star Wars is a great universe. I've heard it described as a "sandbox" where various types of stories can be told. They can do Star Wars movies that take place 1000 years before or after the OT, for all I'm concerned. The sheer breadth of the universe is what makes it impressive. What is less impressive is the current approach of taking the existing stories and characters we know about and filling in the granular details as much as they possibly can.  Star Was has had great characters but IMO the characters are secondary to the massive scale of the universe which is always the more interesting focus.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: June 25, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »
What is less impressive is the current approach of taking the existing stories and characters we know about and filling in the granular details as much as they possibly can. Star Was has had great characters but IMO the characters are secondary to the massive scale of the universe which is always the more interesting focus. 

Interesting thought I totally agree with. We know Han won the Falcon from Lando, and that history they share informs their relationship, and fleshes out their dymanic in Ep5. And that's really all we need to know. There is no need, desire, or benefit to go in to how it all went down. The fact that it happened, is addressed, and that the characters act appropriately is what is most important.

This may be a bad example, I haven't seen Solo.

Hell we could apply this line of thinking to Anakin and Eps 1-3. Of course with that there was an opportunity to craft a truly original and emotional story arc on the backdrop of a new era of the SW universe we've never seen before. But alas....
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: July 11, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
Finally finished Rebels. All in all I thought it was a cool series. The last two episodes were certainly interesting being how Ezra 'saved' Ahsoka and then the finale where Ezra and Thrawn's fate were left in limbo kind of. Until I read that the showrunner confirmed they both are indeed alive.

What I'm not excited about at all is the next series....Resistance I think they are calling it? Anyway, seems like a cool concept but I cannot get past the way they are animating it....in that 'anime' style. I know it's a cartoon and all but the cool thing about Clone Wars and Rebels was that although it was a cartoon there were still some cool visuals. From what I've seen of the style they're going for with Resistance it looks WAY too cartoony and silly for me to have any interest in watching it at all. I'd prefer them to go the other direction and make it as realistic as possible.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #760 on: July 19, 2018, 11:24:24 PM »
THE CLONE WARS IS BACK!!!!!

Online Polarbear

« Reply #761 on: July 20, 2018, 12:43:46 AM »
Pretty exciting to get twelve new episodes of Clone Wars!

I was fine with the "ending" we got back in the day, but it's great that they get to properly finish it!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #762 on: July 20, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »
Yes! Very excited to have a proper ending for an amazing series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: July 20, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
Yes! Very excited to have a proper ending for an amazing series.

Yep. Gonna be fun to watch.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #764 on: July 28, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »
Cast for Episode IX got unveiled this morning!

All the usual suspects are back:

Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo and Billie Lourd.

New cast members include:

Naomi Ackie (Lady Macbeth), Richard E Grant (Logan, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey) and Keri Russell (Mission Impossible 3)

Also returning is the one and only Billy Dee as Lando! What is most interesting, is the fact that Carrie Fisher will be back. She will supposedly make a return via some manipulated, deleted footage from The Force Awakens. No recasting or CGI. That will be pretty interesting to see.
It's also great that Luke will return to give some force ghost advice to Rey. Notably absent are Benicio Del Toro, and Andy Serkis. So all the theories about Snoke's resurrection can be put to rest. He is dead.

Pretty interesting cast!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #765 on: July 29, 2018, 07:04:56 AM »
Kinda bummed that Del Toro's character isn't coming back.  Honestly, he was the most interesting new character from TFA, and more interesting (to me) than some of the existing characters.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #766 on: August 07, 2018, 07:13:02 AM »
Cast for Episode IX got unveiled this morning!

All the usual suspects are back:

Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo and Billie Lourd.

New cast members include:

Naomi Ackie (Lady Macbeth), Richard E Grant (Logan, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey) and Keri Russell (Mission Impossible 3)

Also returning is the one and only Billy Dee as Lando! What is most interesting, is the fact that Carrie Fisher will be back. She will supposedly make a return via some manipulated, deleted footage from The Force Awakens. No recasting or CGI. That will be pretty interesting to see.
It's also great that Luke will return to give some force ghost advice to Rey. Notably absent are Benicio Del Toro, and Andy Serkis. So all the theories about Snoke's resurrection can be put to rest. He is dead.

Pretty interesting cast!

I heard about this last week. Interesting stuff, indeed. The possibilities for what they do with Ep. IX are endless. While I usually avoid doing this kind of thing, I hope that Luke has a meaningful role to play. The fact that he is in the main cast list makes me think he will. Either way, I'm sure I will be very excited come December 2019!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: August 07, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
Also returning is the one and only Billy Dee as Lando...

Carrie Fisher will be back...

Luke will return...

Way to move the franchise forward, fellas. Staing in Ep 9 we have from Eps 4-6 a mid-carder, a character whose actress passed away, and a character who was killed off.

At least Snoke, the most boring, uninteresting villain in film history is gone. Wait... forgot about General Hux. Make that the second most boring, uninteresting villain in film history
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #768 on: August 07, 2018, 04:38:30 PM »
Wow.  It's like you are a homeless person and Star Wars is a downtown Seattle sidewalk.  You just can't help crapping all over it, can you?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: August 07, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »
Bad analogy. If I was homeless and the SW franchise was a Seattle sidewalk, I would be camping out on one, setting up a tent mansion and inviting all my homeless acquaintances to move here and join me for all the handouts and non-existent law enforcement.

The homeless use the alleys, parks, and green spaces for their excrement.

On topic, I don't have a good way to articulate why I don't care for the Eps 7 and 8 and possibly 9. I was as big of a SW fan as a kid could be growing up in the early 80s. Empire was my first time at a drive in (though I barely remember it). I had a clipping from the paper with the movie times in my scrap book. I was as excited for Ep 1 as I have ever been or may ever be for a movie. It was ultimately disappointing, but that might have been mitigated had I not knew a ton about the movie going in. I enjoyed Eps 2 and 3 at the time, and would still find enjoyment in them if I popped them in the DVD player now. I still get wrapped up in the mythos and am not bothered by the shortcomings in the writing and dialogue.

I didn't feel that mythos with Eps 7 and 8. I enjoyed them in the theater, but just as middle of the road action films. I just didn't care about the story as much I would have liked. I did quite enjoy Rogue One, though I saw it late at night when I was really tired.