General > Movies and TV

Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)

<< < (2/804) > >>

Logain Ablar:
As a last minute decision I went to the midnight showing last night.

I'm sorry to say that it was a disappointment for me.  :'( Maybe my expectations were unrealistic going in, but for me it didn't live up to the hype. There were too many moments that were so jarring that they took me out of the movie.

I'll say more when others get a chance to watch it and weigh in here..

soupytwist:
What an odd film.  On one side it's not what I expected at all....yet depict a lot of things happening (it's a very busy film) nothing much actually happens.   I'd say the big questions we had from 'The Force Awakens' mostly remain unanswered (or in one case, dismissed rather than answered!), and this films asks a couple of new ones.  Anyone expecting a film darker in tone probably won't be happy - there is a lot of slapstick in this film (tonally I actually got a Marvel vibe).

At the end I feel it's a bit of a placeholder, albeit a interesting placeholder, happy to stall the story for the 3rd part.   Not as enjoyable as 'Force Awakens' for me. 

Polarbear:
It is a weird movie, that's for sure!

But, i'm finding myself enjoying it more and more as i think about it. It throws a curveball to the Star Wars fans and puts them out of their comfort zone. And i like that!

I enjoyed the central themes of the film, but let's not go to the spoilers just yet! It doesn't open in the America until tomorrow, correct?

IDontNotDoThings:
Okay, hold on, can we just talk about how freakin' good this movie was? I just came back from seeing it, & honestly, (while I'm by no means one to judge the accurate quality of a film), the level of tension I felt in this movie rivaled that of when I saw Empire for the first time. I'll admit I went in with very little hype (I've ignored most of the press surrounding the movie) & I'm by no means a die-hard Star Wars fan, but I think this movie delivered in every front it could've for me & it's hard to say I've ever been more exhilarated by a Star Wars movie in my life (again, besides maybe Empire).  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

So anyway, what'd you guys think of it?

soupytwist:

--- Quote from: IDontNotDoThings on December 14, 2017, 05:13:25 AM ---

So anyway, what'd you guys think of it?

--- End quote ---

As my previous post.  I think I'd give it a 6/10 - It was interesting and fun but ultimately didn't really do much, and the slapstick was over the top - then there is Leia's space Mary Poppins sequence that is probably the worse Star Wars moment since that conversation about sand.   Also there were a couple of unexpected moments, that I didn't see coming - but actually felt flat.

Not sure if we are doing spoilers in here or not....but to be safe.

Snoke - really, that's it?  and Luke is just totally wasted, his hologram fight/death is a massive WTF moment.

I get the feeling it's going to be a very marmite film with the real hardcore fans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version