Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248165 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v.The Last Jedi
« Reply #560 on: March 19, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
Preconceived notions have little to do with the dislike of TLJ that I've seen.

Sure, it swerved from preconceived notions in a few obvious ways, but the problem wasn't that it subverted expectations, it's that it did so in a way that didn't actually benefit the film at all, on the contrary it largely detracted mostly for the sake of trying to be different. Unexpected doesn't equate to good, especially when it's at the expense of a logical payoff to a setup. It still bothers me that it seemingly went out of its way to piss away every single setup from TFA. I wouldn't have cared where those plots went, as long as they went somewhere. Instead they were like "haha nope, fuck that" every single time, and little nothing of value in its place. It became predictably unpredictable.

But worst of all for me was the cringey sitcom humour that undermined the importance and emotional weight of the first 2/3 of the film. I dreaded every single scene inevitably ending with a dumb one liner that would just crap all over it. Yes, Star Wars has always had a good humour element that is an important part of the formula, but the style in this film broke the fourth wall for me and took me right out of the film literally from scene 1.

Overall, there's the lack of continuing on from TFA effectively, a very weak and uncompelling story in its own right, and doing a poor job of setting up something for the next movie that I care about. This movie has highlighted the problem with Disney's approach to the franchise, with no grand plan in advance for the trilogy.  TLJ has such an inconsistency with the franchise, in tone, character, plot, and world.

I know a film is bad when it actually makes me glad that JJ is taking over again. :lol That's not something I'd ever think I'd say after his treatment of Star Trek.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #561 on: March 19, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »

Then, respectfully, you aren't really in tune with the general consensus of those who complain about it, because that is exactly what most of the public criticism has been.  And that's fine.  Your own personal criticism doesn't have to follow the masses.  But if that's the case, you can't really claim to speak for the masses either. 

It still bothers me that it seemingly went out of its way to piss away every single setup from TFA.

No, it doesn't really do that at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #562 on: March 19, 2018, 12:44:48 PM »
Well, if the setup from TFA was "Luke ran away to nowhere and doesn't want to be found", it could have hardly followed with "Ok, I'll follow you straight away, unknown girl who brought me my lightsaber".

And about the growth of Kylo Ren to the Dark Side... he (almost) accomplished what Darth Vader himself set out to do. "Join me and we'll rule the galaxy as father and son". Darth Vader would have killed the Emperor with Luke at his side. Kylo Ren did kill his master, if Rey had joined him, he would have surpassed Vader's desires.

And I suspect that Rey's parents are "nobodies" in the same way that Yoda is an annoying goblin fooling around on Dagobah when we first met him. Maybe Kylo Ren was even sincere but he didn't realize the importance of those "nobodies" whose daughter is absurdingly skilled in the Force and drawn to Luke's saber.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #563 on: March 19, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
And I suspect that Rey's parents are "nobodies" in the same way that Yoda is an annoying goblin fooling around on Dagobah when we first met him. Maybe Kylo Ren was even sincere but he didn't realize the importance of those "nobodies" whose daughter is absurdingly skilled in the Force and drawn to Luke's saber.

Although there are a lot of reasons why part of me feels like her parents really should turn out to be people of some "significance," I think I would prefer if they let Kylo Ren's statement persist at face value.  It just feels more emotionally satisfying that the major players that are strong in the force have no direct connections to the major past heroes and that truly anyone can be a hero.  That was a pretty important theme, and having Rey be, say, a Skywalker or Kenobi seems to subvert that.  And also, having her parents be nobodies would seem to be consistent with the studio's statements about the series breaking from the past going forward.  So I really do think Kylo Ren was right.  But who knows?  They've done a good job with the series so far, so I'm sure whatever they do going forward will continue to be as good. 

That said, I do find it hard to imagine the franchise keeping me interested once this trilogy is complete.  But who knows?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:17:08 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #564 on: March 19, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »

Sure, it swerved from preconceived notions in a few obvious ways, but the problem wasn't that it subverted expectations, it's that it did so in a way that didn't actually benefit the film at all, on the contrary it largely detracted mostly for the sake of trying to be different. Unexpected doesn't equate to good, especially when it's at the expense of a logical payoff to a setup. It still bothers me that it seemingly went out of its way to piss away every single setup from TFA. I wouldn't have cared where those plots went, as long as they went somewhere. Instead they were like "haha nope, fuck that" every single time, and little nothing of value in its place. It became predictably unpredictable.

But worst of all for me was the cringey sitcom humour that undermined the importance and emotional weight of the first 2/3 of the film. I dreaded every single scene inevitably ending with a dumb one liner that would just crap all over it. Yes, Star Wars has always had a good humour element that is an important part of the formula, but the style in this film broke the fourth wall for me and took me right out of the film literally from scene 1.

Overall, there's the lack of continuing on from TFA effectively, a very weak and uncompelling story in its own right, and doing a poor job of setting up something for the next movie that I care about. This movie has highlighted the problem with Disney's approach to the franchise, with no grand plan in advance for the trilogy.  TLJ has such an inconsistency with the franchise, in tone, character, plot, and world.

I know a film is bad when it actually makes me glad that JJ is taking over again. :lol That's not something I'd ever think I'd say after his treatment of Star Trek.

this.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #565 on: March 19, 2018, 05:31:08 PM »

this.

Double this.   Very well said Blob and I agree 100%

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: March 19, 2018, 10:48:48 PM »
Triple that.

The attempts at humour and Canto Bight are this movie’s biggest immediate flaws.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2018, 03:39:52 AM »
I've been staying away from TLJ discussion, as I know others here enjoyed it, but I really agree with Blob on this one. The movie has massively dented any enthusiasm I had for Star Wars.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: March 20, 2018, 03:53:50 AM »
I seem to be relatively alone in the middle here. There are things about this movie that I thought were fantastic, but also decisions they made that are really really questionable and that hurt the movie tremendously for me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: March 20, 2018, 06:15:47 AM »
I seem to be relatively alone in the middle here. There are things about this movie that I thought were fantastic, but also decisions they made that are really really questionable and that hurt the movie tremendously for me.

There were certainly good elements to the movie, I just felt its shortcomings overshadowed it to the point that I couldn't get into it and enjoy those good parts. A lot of their story elements could have worked effectively, but most of them were handled badly imo. For example, Holdo sacrificing herself to save the resistance was a nice idea, and the part where the ship splits apart was a cool scene, the problem was that I didn't care about her sacrifice at all because they spent two hours playing her off as the bitchy antagonist to Poe, one of the main characters. They could have managed to make her a more sympathetic character even with clashing with Poe.

But after 30 something years, of course Luke should be reluctant to do anything. He felt responsible for causing the problem, and wasn't confident that he should be the one to try and fix it. And it made perfect sense that he didn't want to repeat his mistake with Rey either.
I did however have a problem with him being used too often for comic relief, tossing away the lightsaber immediately (great job deflating two years of anticipation with that one, guys), and the milk drinking bit. It clashed with the seriousness of his self imposed exile to me. The tone of the film was just all over the place. And his redemption at the end of the film was a bit underwhelming for me. It wasn't bad, and it served its purpose for the story, but his fade away was a bit whatever to me. I hope they do something with him as a force ghost in the next one. It would make sense, given that they were able to bring Yoda back, and now there's a hole left by Carrie Fisher's absence.

Then, respectfully, you aren't really in tune with the general consensus of those who complain about it, because that is exactly what most of the public criticism has been.  And that's fine.  Your own personal criticism doesn't have to follow the masses.  But if that's the case, you can't really claim to speak for the masses either. 

It still bothers me that it seemingly went out of its way to piss away every single setup from TFA.

No, it doesn't really do that at all.

Respectfully, I spend a lot more time on the internet than you and in generally nerdy locations, so I think I have a perfectly good sense of the general criticisms of the film, especially from fans who can well articulate their issues with the film. I didn't claim to speak for the masses any more than you have, I just disagree with that defense, then gave my own opinions on the matter, which is all any of us are doing here. :)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #570 on: March 20, 2018, 06:20:10 AM »
I've been staying away from TLJ discussion, as I know others here enjoyed it, but I really agree with Blob on this one. The movie has massively dented any enthusiasm I had for Star Wars.

I didn't think it was great, a tad underwhelming - but Star Wars survived the horror of back to back drivel of Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones.   Both those films are/were much, much worse (Not just bad Star Wars but legit bad movies period.)  and I'd take the unwelcome slapstick of TLJ over Jar Jar in a heartbeat.

The whole TLJ hate feels like a massive internet circle jerk.  The guy who I saw it with thought it was decent when we talked about it on the journey home from the cinema, now he claims to hate it because spent to much time reading all the negativity on the net.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:39:08 AM by soupytwist »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #571 on: March 20, 2018, 06:21:54 AM »
Well, what should have done Luke with the lightsaber? he's in self imposed exile since forever, of course he doesn't want it. Maybe tossing it was a bit too much (but I like how Rey's expectations were drastically turned around, she must have gone through it in her head... "What do I say? I introduce myself? I make a speech? got it, I'll handle him his lightsaber, that will do!"), but realistically what would have been acceptable? just not taking it and walking away from Rey? saying something like "Keep it, I don't care for it"? it would have been anyway anti climatic.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2018, 06:41:40 AM »
Well, what should have done Luke with the lightsaber? he's in self imposed exile since forever, of course he doesn't want it. Maybe tossing it was a bit too much (but I like how Rey's expectations were drastically turned around, she must have gone through it in her head... "What do I say? I introduce myself? I make a speech? got it, I'll handle him his lightsaber, that will do!"), but realistically what would have been acceptable? just not taking it and walking away from Rey? saying something like "Keep it, I don't care for it"? it would have been anyway anti climatic.

I think that last idea would have worked just fine, much better than what we got. But for me it's not so much about what they did, it's how they did it. Ending one film with this hugely epic shot of Luke glaring seriously at Rey as she hands him his own lightsaber, then starting the next movie with it turning into a comedy skit where he tosses it away for the cartoon birds to play with, it was such a jarring shift in tone to me that didn't work for the moment.

I didn't think it was great, a tad underwhelming - but Star Wars survived the horror of back to back drivel of Phantom Menace/Attack of the Clones.   Both those films are/were much, much worse (Not just bad Star Wars but legit bad movies period.)  and I'd take the unwelcome slapstick of TLJ over Jar Jar in a heartbeat.

I think it survived because the 3 major films 3 years apart each is all we got, and the fanbase wasn't as segmented or jaded at that point. Now Disney are churning out movies every single year by obligation (and in the case of TLJ/Solo only half a year apart), so there's the risk of oversaturation watering down the novelty and appeal of a new SW movie, and now the fanbase is even more segmented with OT fans, PT fans, and a new generation of ST fans. TFA was a huge event because it was the first Star Wars film we'd had in a decade. We're now about to have the 4th Star Wars film in only two and a half years.
The novelty of Star Wars may wear off as people take it for granted that each year there'll be another one. It hasn't happened yet, as Rogue One and TLJ did excellent numbers, and Solo is yet to open, but Disney have to keep the quality up in future for it to work.

I think Ep IX could be a make or break film going forward, but I expect JJ will do a pretty good job with what he's been given. But then what about Rian Johnson's next trilogy, and the other trilogy from the GOT guys, and whatever side movies are next?

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »
On paper, the idea of Luke throwing the lightsaber away is a perfectly acceptable one, I’d even say that it’s a pretty good idea. Playing it for comedy though... horrible choice. A choice that was a massive middle finger to to an audience that has been anticipating this moment for two years, like Blob said.

Ninja’d

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
If Luke had tossed away the lightsaber in a serious moment without a word, like a whole bunch of raw emotions and history had just been brought up by the sight of someone tracking him down and handing him the saber, it would have been a powerful moment. Having the musical cue stop dead, him pulling a dopey "whatever" face and comically tossing it away, not so much.
On paper that's only a small change, but in practice, it's a world of difference to the emotion of the scene, and the film.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »
If Luke had tossed away the lightsaber in a serious moment without a word, like a whole bunch of raw emotions had just been brought up by the sight of someone tracking him down and handing the saber to him, it would have been a powerful moment. Having the musical cue stop dead, him pulling a dopey "whatever" face and comically tossing it away, not so much.
On paper that's only a small change, but in practice, it's a world of difference to the emotion of the scene, and the film.

Well, I can see how this precise detail of the scene and music combined could be annoying.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #576 on: March 20, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »

The whole TLJ hate feels like a massive internet circle jerk.  The guy who I saw it with thought it was decent when we talked about it on the journey home from the cinema, now he claims to hate it because spent to much time reading all the negativity on the net.

I've seen some claim that this movie is the death of Star Wars, why? Lucasfilm will make Star Wars movies until the day stars expire, I'm sure those who dislike TLJ find something to enjoy in those future Star Wars movies.

I also find interesting, how this movie in particular is such a source of controversy. I think it is a little too long, has some awkward tonal shifts and some unnecessary stuff that could have been left on the cutting room floor. It's a middle of the pack Star Wars movie for me. Not one of the best, far from being the worst.

A pretty good movie, that has strengths that outweigh it's weaknesses imo.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #577 on: March 20, 2018, 07:05:18 AM »
One of the Iron Man movies (can't recall which off hand) was pretty terrible and it didn't kill the MCU. One Star Wars movie with mixed reception won't kill Star Wars if the prequel trilogy didn't. Now, if they churn out two mediocre Star Wars movies a year for the next few years, there will definitely be a slow decline in interest. The reality is we will get some good and some just OK Star Wars movies. Hopefully we won't get any that are really bad, though obviously that's up to each individual interpretation.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #578 on: March 20, 2018, 07:11:57 AM »
I still think TLJ is a top 3 SW movies. None of them are perfect but I still contend that the majority of discontent for TLJ comes from fan theories not coming true.

My Top 3 SW Films
The Last Jedi
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith

Offline jammindude

« Reply #579 on: March 20, 2018, 07:17:32 AM »
I think the reason for the controversy is how polarizing it is. What I mean is, the fan boys who hated it honestly thought they would be the overwhelming majority. When they realized there were more than a few OG fanboys who loved it, there was a spark of further outrage.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: March 20, 2018, 08:51:31 AM »
I also feel like the narcissism of small differences is somewhat at play.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
PT fans

Is there such a thing?  And if so, why?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
PT fans

Is there such a thing?  And if so, why?

There is apparently such a thing. As far as I can tell, it's only people who were under the age of 10 when they first saw them, and possibly even saw them before the OT, and have some kind of deep twisted childhood nostalgia for them. I have not found any other reasonable explanation for people loving those movies (1 and 2 at least).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #583 on: March 20, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
Actually, this sums it up pretty nicely:  https://medium.com/@thejohnprice/star-wars-fans-dont-deserve-the-last-jedi-5bd167dfc033

A bit rude and on the nose, and I think overstates some things, but still. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #584 on: March 20, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
I did not like The Last Jedi the first time I saw it. I talked the film over with friends, realized I missed some of the brilliance in how the film was done. Went to see it again, and fell in love with it. It still has some warts (SUPERLEIA!!!!), but overall, I think it was excellent.

I am really excited to have it in 4k UHD. It will be my first "new release" on a 4k UHD blu-ray. Can't wait to see how it looks and sounds.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #585 on: March 20, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
Actually, this sums it up pretty nicely:  https://medium.com/@thejohnprice/star-wars-fans-dont-deserve-the-last-jedi-5bd167dfc033

A bit rude and on the nose, and I think overstates some things, but still.

Seemed pretty spot on to me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: March 20, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
I really don't know if what that article says is true or not, I only know that it's completely irrelevant to my personal issues with the movie. It's basically playing the "you just didn't get it" card, only it doesn't matter whether I got it or not here, I just found some elements of the movie poorly executed.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #587 on: March 20, 2018, 01:50:19 PM »
I really don't know if what that article says is true or not, I only know that it's completely irrelevant to my personal issues with the movie. It's basically playing the "you just didn't get it" card, only it doesn't matter whether I got it or not here, I just found some elements of the movie poorly executed.

What I liked about the article was that it pointed out the fact that the OT weren't cinematic masterpieces filled with mind bending dialogue and plot devices. They were just simple, fun kid stories....that had been told in one form or another for quite some time. I think those of us who were enamored with SW from a young age have built this aura about and around the OT and have made them out in our minds to be better 'movies' than they actually are.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »
Great article.

In addition to the on-screen story, The Last Jedi tells a meta-narrative about Star Wars itself: Kylo Ren is a Vader cosplayer who grew up playing with dark side toys. Snoke is an internet troll whining that Kylo Ren got beat by a girl. Rey believes in The Legend and wants nothing more than for Luke to come to the galaxy’s rescue with a laser sword. Poe doesn’t care about the human element, as long as the explosions look cool. And Finn is a naive rube, new to the universe and bumbling his way through the adventure knowing that the rules of storytelling mean it’ll magically work out in the end. Every one of us went into The Last Jedi as one of those five: Kylo the entitled cosplayer, Snoke the myopic troll, Rey the true believer, Poe the adrenaline junkie, or Finn the blind simpleton. And what happened? All of these characters’ assumptions, beliefs, and assurances blew up in their faces. The fans spent two years between The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi coming up with theories and speculation and expectations for what they would see. And what happened? All of the fans’ assumptions, beliefs, and assurances blew up in their faces.

That’s a heckuva lot deeper than “farmboy rescues princess and fights the evil empire.”

Agreed 100%.

Also, I'm a fan of the PT.  :D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:19 PM »
Lol at the whole part, especially "Kylo Ren is a Vader cosplayer who grew up playing with dark side toys."

Snoke even calls him out on that while he and Rey are in his presence. But I guess that's precisely the entire point: Kylo Ren is a Vader wannabe, we're not meant to see how badass and iconic he is, we're meant to see him for what he is: someone who wants so bad to be Vader, but will never match up to him.

Still, he did what only Vader dreamt of, killing the Emperor.

Oh, LOL at "If you think that the Darth Vader turn was some brilliant Shyamalan twist… you… should read more Shakespeare. The guy’s name is literally “Dark Father.” "... even though I think it's pretty safe to say that the whole Vader is Luke's dad was totally made up during the writing of Empire (no, not the Queensryche album).

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
I love Star Wars, but I never had any illusion that they were objectively great movies. No SW movie would get near any top 10 movies of all time list for me. You won't hear me say that any SW movie should have been nominated for best picture. But that has no bearing on the critisisms of The Last Jedi.

As for the meta-narrative. That may very well be true, what do I know, but it also seems like reading too much into it. You can basically asign any meaning you want to any narrative ever if you want it badly enough. So yeah, compelling theory, but not something that immediately strikes me as something to take seriously.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #591 on: March 27, 2018, 10:21:38 PM »
Just finished watching the feature length doc and some of the smaller supplements on the Last Jedi blu. Kudos to Lucasfilm for not hiding. During the doc, Hamill's unhappiness with the script was an ongoing thread. Several interviews and comments from Hamill on what he thought was wrong, etc. Nice to see them address things head-on. Kudos to Hamill for being such a pro through it all. The man is all class.

In another supplement, Johnson gives details and explanations on several of the plot points that pissed people off. He gives some great explanations on what he did and why he did it. I gained a lot of respect for him from watching these docs. He's a genuine fan and seems like a really nice guy to boot.

All in all, I love the movie and support pretty much every decision he made. The 10 minute mini-doc with the plot explanations really cemented what I already liked. He gave them even more validation for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #592 on: March 27, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »
Need to see that one. Sounds really interesting.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #593 on: March 28, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »
In my country, the Blu Ray doesn't come out until the middle of next month. Need to see that doc now!

Kudos for Hamill for being candid. He could have very easily hammed up he's performance in the film, but he knocked it out of the park despite he's personal feelings toward the script..

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #594 on: March 28, 2018, 12:42:59 AM »
Yea, he hasn't kept his feelings hidden.

He recently gave an interview talking about how the script didn't have time for Luke's character development, but it had plenty of time for drinking alien milk.
fanticide.bandcamp.com