Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 253787 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3920 on: January 05, 2024, 07:54:00 AM »
THE MISTAKE IS YOURS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3922 on: January 05, 2024, 09:02:09 AM »
Not anger, because I don't give much of a shit about that entire trilogy.

But Johnson at least tried to make an interesting film, that wasn't a regurgitation of Star Wars that had come before, and largely succeeded.  A lot of people say he did a bad job just because they have a Luke Skywalker hangup.  Not saying that about you, of course.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3923 on: January 05, 2024, 09:47:11 AM »

But Johnson at least tried to make an interesting film, that wasn't a regurgitation of Star Wars that had come before, and largely succeeded.  A lot of people say he did a bad job just because they have a Luke Skywalker hangup.  Not saying that about you, of course.

I thought his film was the best of the three and had zero issues with the way he handled Luke. It was the best overall 'movie' when considering what elements make a successful movie. It just suffered from what the entire trilogy suffered from.....no grand over arching vision to tie into.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3924 on: January 05, 2024, 09:55:49 AM »
Not that it should matter, because it doesn't, but the new Rey movie is being written by a dude and directed by a woman. An assumption is being made that the dude is going to be writing from a 'men suck' angle. Seems a stretch.

Also, the Rian Johnson movie was easily the best of the latest trilogy. By far.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3925 on: January 05, 2024, 09:56:36 AM »

I thought his film was the best of the three and had zero issues with the way he handled Luke. It was the best overall 'movie' when considering what elements make a successful movie. It just suffered from what the entire trilogy suffered from.....no grand over arching vision to tie into.

Well, that and a bad script. I don't really like any of the sequel movies as a full movie, though I'd say Force Awakens probably has the most cohesive, unified script, while whatever the second one's called has the best individual moments. But a number of amazing individual moments do not make a great movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3926 on: January 05, 2024, 08:00:31 PM »
Personally I found TLJ the most interesting Star Wars film since Empire.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3927 on: January 05, 2024, 09:36:08 PM »
But Johnson at least tried to make an interesting film, that wasn't a regurgitation of Star Wars that had come before, and largely succeeded. 

This, except for that part about "largely succeeded."

I don't really like any of the sequel movies as a full movie, though I'd say Force Awakens probably has the most cohesive, unified script, while whatever the second one's called has the best individual moments. But a number of amazing individual moments do not make a great movie.

I wondered if I felt the same way, then realized I can think of exactly 3 cool moments from the whole film. Which is 3 more than I can recall from Ep9.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3928 on: January 06, 2024, 01:12:50 PM »

For me, I'm with Gary.  I LIKED the Johnson movie, but not as part 8 of a 9 part story.  It felt like too much of a left turn as a story segment.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3929 on: January 06, 2024, 01:26:18 PM »
Personally I found TLJ the most interesting Star Wars film since Empire.

I haven't watched the sequels in ages, but I'd have to agree with you. I truly get why people hate it though. The Rise of Skywalker by comparison felt like a clumsy and desperate attempt at a course correction. It felt like two movies worth of ideas, smashed into a one Two- hour movie.

Here is another unpopular opinion: If Rian Johnson would have been allowed to do the entire trilogy, it could have been interesting and better than what we got.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3930 on: January 06, 2024, 01:30:09 PM »
I think you could have taken TFA or TLJ and made a good trilogy around either of what those movies started. The problem is that they don't go together well. And the third movie was a mess, though oddly my 14 year old son liked ROS best.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3931 on: January 06, 2024, 04:57:32 PM »
I've still never seen episodes 8 and 9 (or 2), and I can't see any reason why I would need to from everything I've heard about them. Can't seem to find anybody who really enjoyed them. I actually liked episode 7 well enough for what it was. For me Star Wars is still mainly about the original trilogy and everything else is just kind of whatever.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3932 on: January 06, 2024, 05:31:05 PM »
I enjoyed all three for at the base what they are, simple star wars fun. I think 9 was my favorite of the three. None were amazing, they were just fun.

All shadowed in comparison to Rogue One,now that was amazing, easily the best Disney era movie, and only topped by a few Mando episodes and the whole of Andor.

I'll hold opinion on the new ones until I actually see them instead of making presumptions because of who the director is.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3933 on: January 06, 2024, 11:00:47 PM »
Rogue One was good, though a bit bloated. I liked Solo a good bit too. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3934 on: January 07, 2024, 07:10:52 AM »
I've still never seen episodes 8 and 9 (or 2), and I can't see any reason why I would need to from everything I've heard about them. Can't seem to find anybody who really enjoyed them. I actually liked episode 7 well enough for what it was. For me Star Wars is still mainly about the original trilogy and everything else is just kind of whatever.
Tons of people enjoyed them. I don't need all Star Wars content to be on the level of Empire Strikes Back in order to enjoy it. I have never watched anything Star Wars that I didn't enjoy.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: January 07, 2024, 09:25:31 AM »
making presumptions because of who the director is.

I know I'm rushing to judgement on her and I hope I'm wrong. I really do. It just left a sour taste in my mouth when reading her past and present comments and then factoring in Kathleen Kennedy's stellar track record here recently with her obvious agenda. I find it difficult to believe that some sort of political/social cause won't heavily permeate the movie but again....I hope I'm wrong and they just make a good SW movie.

Rogue One was good

It was good because they had an outline so to speak. There wasn't a lot of room to add a bunch of unnecessary side stories and crap that didn't matter. It was a 'simple' story to tell and they did a great job at decorating the boundaries of it while just sticking to a team of rebels stole some plans. Everyone knew how the story ended before it began and so it didn't try to overdo it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3936 on: January 07, 2024, 03:59:43 PM »

I know I'm rushing to judgement on her and I hope I'm wrong. I really do. It just left a sour taste in my mouth when reading her past and present comments and then factoring in Kathleen Kennedy's stellar track record here recently with her obvious agenda. I find it difficult to believe that some sort of political/social cause won't heavily permeate the movie but again....I hope I'm wrong and they just make a good SW movie.

Rogue One was good

It was good because they had an outline so to speak. There wasn't a lot of room to add a bunch of unnecessary side stories and crap that didn't matter. It was a 'simple' story to tell and they did a great job at decorating the boundaries of it while just sticking to a team of rebels stole some plans. Everyone knew how the story ended before it began and so it didn't try to overdo it.

Even that simple story in Rogue One was a little bit overly complex and hard to follow for me. I enjoyed the movie, but large chunks of it are a blur and it probably could have been half an hour shorter.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3937 on: January 08, 2024, 07:23:21 AM »
I will carry the torch for Solo as well. Great film. Didn’t get the love it deserved.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3938 on: January 08, 2024, 07:32:48 AM »
I will carry the torch for Solo as well. Great film. Didn’t get the love it deserved.
Agreed. I thought it was good and deserved the planned follow ups.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3939 on: January 08, 2024, 10:55:17 AM »
I'm glad it found you.  But it didn't do anything for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3940 on: January 08, 2024, 11:03:43 AM »

Rogue One was good

I agree with all of this. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3941 on: January 08, 2024, 11:18:41 AM »
I thought both Rogue One and Solo were pretty good for what they were.  They both had dots to connect.  Rogue One obviously had to end the way it did, but how they got there was pretty interesting I thought.  With Solo, we knew we'd get the backstory on how Solo and Chewy met, how Lando lost the Millenium Falcon to Solo in a card game or whatever that was, etc., but they still came up with a story that went beyond that and was reasonably interesting.  I found both movies quite entertaining.  Hey, it's Star Wars.  If you try to analyze it too much, it falls apart.  Just enjoy the ride.  I'm not saying that a film shouldn't be expected to survive even cursory scrutiny, but both films did exactly what they were meant to do: tell the story and fill in some details of stuff we already knew about.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3942 on: January 08, 2024, 01:22:59 PM »
I thought both Rogue One and Solo were pretty good for what they were.  They both had dots to connect.  Rogue One obviously had to end the way it did, but how they got there was pretty interesting I thought.  With Solo, we knew we'd get the backstory on how Solo and Chewy met, how Lando lost the Millenium Falcon to Solo in a card game or whatever that was, etc., but they still came up with a story that went beyond that and was reasonably interesting.  I found both movies quite entertaining.  Hey, it's Star Wars.  If you try to analyze it too much, it falls apart.  Just enjoy the ride.  I'm not saying that a film shouldn't be expected to survive even cursory scrutiny, but both films did exactly what they were meant to do: tell the story and fill in some details of stuff we already knew about.
Part of my problem (and it's a ME problem) with both films (although I still like Rogue One) is that I dislike prequels in general.  We don't need all of the details filled in.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3943 on: January 08, 2024, 01:59:52 PM »
Prequels are one of my least liked types of movies.  They do feel just a bit lazy, since you're already given the characters and the basic story parameters.  Given that, I'm curious to see what they can do with it.  And of course there's always the people who will eat up anything Star Wars (or whatever the franchise in question is) and just want to see more stories.  These movies are for them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3944 on: January 08, 2024, 02:27:12 PM »
Prequels are one of my least liked types of movies.  They do feel just a bit lazy, since you're already given the characters and the basic story parameters.  Given that, I'm curious to see what they can do with it.  And of course there's always the people who will eat up anything Star Wars (or whatever the franchise in question is) and just want to see more stories.  These movies are for them.
Yep yep

Offline HOF

« Reply #3945 on: January 08, 2024, 04:00:16 PM »
Also a lot of stories play better with a bit of mystery surrounding them, and prior events that are somewhat hazily described leaves room for some imagination and makes it easier to suspend disbelief. Once "Anakin Skywalker was a good man who was seduced by the dark side" gets fleshed out it becomes less interesting and even maybe less believable.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3946 on: January 08, 2024, 05:53:36 PM »
Also a lot of stories play better with a bit of mystery surrounding them, and prior events that are somewhat hazily described leaves room for some imagination and makes it easier to suspend disbelief. Once "Anakin Skywalker was a good man who was seduced by the dark side" gets fleshed out it becomes less interesting and even maybe less believable.

I get the sentiment on Anakin but what they added to that character in TCW's series did nothing but strengthen it and make it better. Same for Kenobi....TCW's added so much to those two characters and did it really well.

Prequels are tricky. I agree that some things are better left unsaid and for our minds to fill in the gaps. While I enjoyed the 'Solo' movie and agree that it was good....I don't think it should have ever been made. Didn't need any of that information on how he got his name...the broken hearted love story....Lando losing the Falcon to him.....or how he met Chewy. That stuff was an example of just didn't need to know all the detail to it outside of what was implied....our fan minds can fill that gap in.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3947 on: January 08, 2024, 07:49:00 PM »

I get the sentiment on Anakin but what they added to that character in TCW's series did nothing but strengthen it and make it better. Same for Kenobi....TCW's added so much to those two characters and did it really well.

Prequels are tricky. I agree that some things are better left unsaid and for our minds to fill in the gaps. While I enjoyed the 'Solo' movie and agree that it was good....I don't think it should have ever been made. Didn't need any of that information on how he got his name...the broken hearted love story....Lando losing the Falcon to him.....or how he met Chewy. That stuff was an example of just didn't need to know all the detail to it outside of what was implied....our fan minds can fill that gap in.

I didn't mind most of that backstory, but I thought the Kessel Run thing was really forced.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: January 08, 2024, 10:57:37 PM »

I didn't mind most of that backstory, but I thought the Kessel Run thing was really forced.

Agreed. Forced and honestly not all that well done….meaning…..that was a pretty lame explanation

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3949 on: January 09, 2024, 11:43:33 AM »
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-mandalorian-and-grogu

The Mandalorian and Grogu are embarking on a new adventure — to movie theaters.

Directed by Jon Favreau, and produced by Favreau, Kathleen Kennedy, and Dave Filoni, The Mandalorian & Grogu will go into production in 2024.

“I have loved telling stories set in the rich world that George Lucas created,” said Favreau. “The prospect of bringing the Mandalorian and his apprentice Grogu to the big screen is extremely exciting.”

"Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni have ushered into Star Wars two new and beloved characters, and this new story is a perfect fit for the big screen," added Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.

The Mandalorian & Grogu will lead Lucasfilm's ongoing feature-development slate, including films helmed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, James Mangold, and Dave Filoni, who is also currently developing Ahsoka Season 2, among those in the works.

This is the Way.

Very exciting news!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3950 on: January 09, 2024, 11:47:36 AM »
Hope it's a prequel!!!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3951 on: January 09, 2024, 12:07:39 PM »
Hope it's a prequel!!!

A prequel to....what? The Force Awakens? It sounds like it'll be a continuation of season three, but I could be wrong. I feel like we've gotten enough of Din's and Grogu's backstories in the show already, unless they want to sprinkle the film with more flashbacks to their respective histories.

It sounds like this film might be a set-up for whatever might happen in Filoni's film as a follow-up to Ahsoka, perhaps creating a new trilogy set between ROTJ and TFA, in the "Mando-verse" of characters.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3952 on: January 09, 2024, 12:10:19 PM »
Hope it's a prequel!!!

We HAVE to learn how Grogu got his adorable robe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3953 on: January 09, 2024, 12:12:07 PM »
Hope it's a prequel!!!
God dammit

BTW, The Mandalorian & Grogu is a terrible title.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3954 on: January 09, 2024, 12:15:34 PM »
Hope it's a prequel!!!
God dammit

BTW, The Mandalorian & Grogu is a terrible title.

I'm sure it'll change before then, or they'll just tack on "A Star Wars Story" at the end like with Rogue One and Solo.

-Marc.