Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 253631 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3850 on: August 14, 2023, 06:47:10 AM »
This one, posted upthread:

I'd forgotten about the Clone Wars movie.  It makes sense that that's where her character originates.

What is this, homework? Nah, I’m going into it cold with no knowledge beside the previous appearances in Mandalorian and the Wookiepedia entry I read about the things on her head.

Homework? Not at all really. It’s a suggestion of episodes to watch for those that chose not to ingest all of the SW’s content that has happened over the years in an effort to make viewing the Ahsoka series as beneficial as possible.

Do you ‘need’ to watch all of TCWs and Rebels to enjoy it. Filoni says you don’t. But I guarantee those of us who have will get a different, better experience out of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3851 on: August 14, 2023, 07:17:25 AM »
I bailed on re-watching all of Rebels.  The first 5 episodes were pretty terrible, tbh.  It was like watching the Three Stooges trying to break into the Three's Company apartment, while being investigated by the keystone cops.  Everyone was inept at everything they did.  Plus, it was going to be virtually impossible to get all of them in before the 23rd.

So I pivoted to just watching the suggested episodes in the graphic.  Very glad I did, there's some excellent stuff there.  I'm just about to start the S3 episodes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3852 on: August 14, 2023, 07:27:29 AM »
Okay, so if I were to watch The Clone Wars movie, where does it fit into the cinematic universe?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3853 on: August 14, 2023, 08:03:10 AM »
I bailed on re-watching all of Rebels.  The first 5 episodes were pretty terrible, tbh.  It was like watching the Three Stooges trying to break into the Three's Company apartment, while being investigated by the keystone cops.  Everyone was inept at everything they did.  Plus, it was going to be virtually impossible to get all of them in before the 23rd.

So I pivoted to just watching the suggested episodes in the graphic.  Very glad I did, there's some excellent stuff there.  I'm just about to start the S3 episodes.

You gave up way too soon. Yeah, the first half season/season of Rebels takes a bit to establish itself but what show doesn’t? Rebels remains some of the best SWs content out there.

And just to trigger folks…. Chopper bests R2 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday as being ‘the’ mech droid of the SW universe…..

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3854 on: August 14, 2023, 08:10:34 AM »
Chopper is annoying as fuck.  Jingle.son told me he has one of the  highest kill-counts of any Star Wars character??   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3855 on: August 14, 2023, 08:49:06 AM »
Chopper is annoying as fuck.  Jingle.son told me he has one of the  highest kill-counts of any Star Wars character??   :lol

He’s ruthless.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3856 on: August 14, 2023, 08:50:47 AM »

How good were the S2 finale episodes with Maul and Vader? Some of my absolute favorite SW universe content.
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3857 on: August 14, 2023, 09:16:20 AM »

How good were the S2 finale episodes with Maul and Vader? Some of my absolute favorite SW universe content.

Yeah, those were pretty amazing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3858 on: August 14, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »
Yeah, I think I mentioned that S01 of Rebels was a bit of a drag. End of S01 onward is much better.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3859 on: August 14, 2023, 03:11:54 PM »
Whether it's good or not is not as important as that's a lot of TV suggested to watch.  I will be like HOF and not watch any of that and try out Ahsoka.  They've just milked these shows so bad lately that my expectations are fairly low to start. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3860 on: August 21, 2023, 10:32:53 PM »
Do we got a separate Ahsoka thread?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3861 on: August 22, 2023, 08:26:14 AM »
Do we got a separate Ahsoka thread?

As you can see I went ahead and started one....

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3862 on: August 27, 2023, 03:27:47 PM »
I forced myself to finish watching Andor but it did not live up to the hype for me. So many parts were as sloooooooooow as a snail, an injured snail at that. Boring dialogue by boring actors that went on and on and ON. Did I mention there was a lot of talking in this? What’s the famous rule for moviemakers: “Show, don’t tell”. Well that was ignored for this show.

The guy playing Cassian is a terrible actor, he had 1 facial expression the entire 12 episodes. What else? So much time on characters with no payoff. That dweeb’s annoying mother - I figured by the end he’d snap and strangle her but nope, nothing. The ISB sadist and the dweeb just ended with “I should thank you” and then . . . that’s it? They don’t join forces to hunt Cassian down or anything? Saarsgard was good and the woman playing Cassian’s mother was good, but that’s it. Time spent on all those secondary characters would have been great if they were more dynamic actors. The dweeb also only had 1 facial expression.

I’m glad you all enjoyed it but I’m hoping Ahsoka is much better.

Offline coz

« Reply #3863 on: August 28, 2023, 12:06:55 AM »
Same here, DT.  Except I couldn't finish it.  I finally made it to the heist episode, which was kinda cool.  Then it slowed to a slog again.  Couldn't take it any more.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline ProgMasterMind92

• he/him/his
  • barn owl cometh
« Reply #3864 on: August 28, 2023, 01:16:10 AM »
i tried to get into andor but i gotta admit, i didn't enjoy it much. the politics in the show made me uncomfortable, and it was hard to fully get into the story. i get that star wars often explores different themes, but this one just didn't sit right with me. but i'm glad it wasn't as woke as other recent star wars media even i still didn't really gel with the politics.
i need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness find me beauty find me truth

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3865 on: August 28, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it. I thought Andor was peak Star Wars. Really, really good.

On a tangential note: Zack's Snyder's Netflix film Rebel Moon was originally pitched to Lucasfilm as a Star Wars movie, but Lucasfilm declined. I have a feeling that it will be really good while most recent Star Wars output has been mediocre. Not that having a good scifi movie outside of Star Wars is a bad thing. But I fear that it will show again how Lucasfilm's recent handling of Star Wars hasn't been the best. I feel like the Lucasfilm brass doesn't really understand what fans love about Star Wars anymore. Or maybe it will suck and Star Wars fans will be happy Lucasfilm passed. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3866 on: August 28, 2023, 12:42:41 PM »
I feel like Rebel Moon will definitely LOOK outstanding, and have incredible visuals, and I can't wait to see it.  But I have no expectations for how good I expect the story to be, other than to be derivative of Star Wars.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3867 on: September 21, 2023, 10:20:21 PM »
I'd heard and seen some things here and there about the original idea for Ep. 9 that Trevorrow had come up with. Found this 13 minute video that runs the script and outline down pretty well. I feel cheated and a bit ticked off but it makes perfect sense that Kathleen Kennedy ruined this. Would have been an infinitely better movie and ending to the sequel movies.

https://youtu.be/h_mLIVoIXM4?si=yGWW7KpjgAbQCBB_

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3868 on: September 22, 2023, 06:21:48 AM »
I'd heard and seen some things here and there about the original idea for Ep. 9 that Trevorrow had come up with. Found this 13 minute video that runs the script and outline down pretty well. I feel cheated and a bit ticked off but it makes perfect sense that Kathleen Kennedy ruined this. Would have been an infinitely better movie and ending to the sequel movies.

I've seen that in the past. The original plan certainly sounds way better than what we got. Without seeing the end product, we'll never know though. I'm personally surprised Kennedy still has her job after some of the big misfires Lucasfilm has made under her watch. It's clear to virtually everyone that there needs to be a change.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3869 on: September 22, 2023, 08:19:30 AM »
It's better than what we got, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3870 on: September 22, 2023, 09:39:33 AM »

I've seen that in the past. The original plan certainly sounds way better than what we got. Without seeing the end product, we'll never know though. I'm personally surprised Kennedy still has her job after some of the big misfires Lucasfilm has made under her watch. It's clear to virtually everyone that there needs to be a change.

I'm convinced she has damning blackmail information on someone or if not a few people at Lucasfilm. There is no other explanation as to why she's been allowed to almost single-handedly ruin the SW franchise.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3871 on: September 22, 2023, 10:05:04 AM »

I'm convinced she has damning blackmail information on someone or if not a few people at Lucasfilm. There is no other explanation as to why she's been allowed to almost single-handedly ruin the SW franchise.
I don't think she's ruined Star Wars. For the most part what's come out under her has been good, with a couple duds in there. The problem for me is that it all could have been great to awesome, or at least noticeably better, if she had demanded a plan for the entire sequel trilogy (that was her biggest mistake in my mind), and stayed out filmmaker's ways and let them tell their story.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3872 on: September 22, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »

I don't think she's ruined Star Wars. For the most part what's come out under her has been good, with a couple duds in there. The problem for me is that it all could have been great to awesome, or at least noticeably better, if she had demanded a plan for the entire sequel trilogy (that was her biggest mistake in my mind), and stayed out filmmaker's ways and let them tell their story.

Agree 100% with the bolded and IMO....that has ruined SW's. Well....maybe 'ruined' is too harsh.....it has soured it pretty badly. Massive missed opportunity to step boldly into the future of the franchise and they chickened out and went with rudimentary storytelling and some flashy effects. She's a cancer to the entire franchise and should be treated as such and dismissed. It's baffling that she's still around and has any influence

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3873 on: October 09, 2023, 10:50:46 AM »

Kenobi, Anakin and Ahsoka for me. Only real 'threat' out of the other 6 is yoda but I'd take my chances on that with those three.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3874 on: October 09, 2023, 11:09:27 AM »
Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda for me

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3875 on: November 05, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »
Loved the Ahsoka show. As someone who has watched (but doesn't remember in detail) most of the relevant other shows to get the references and characters and sort of the big picture stuff, it was quite satisfying. The show also looked really freakin' good. The cinematography and set design impressed me at several points. The first fight between Ahsoka and Baylan was particularly good, really cool juxtaposing Ahsoka's samurai-style and Baylan's medieval knight-style.

There are probably critiques I could make if I were to look for faults, but my appetite for focusing on the negatives in entertainment has gone down a lot in recent years. For now I'm just happy sitting back and enjoying fun space adventure with a lot of moments that feel rewarding as a long-time fan/follower of the franchise as a whole.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3877 on: November 21, 2023, 12:45:17 PM »
This seems like a good move.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/star-wars-vet-dave-filoni-lucasfilm-chief-creative-officer-1235669321/

Yeah.....that's indeed a good move. The only issue they continue to face is that Kathleen Kennedy still appears to have some say. I swear she has to have blackmail material on everyone at Disney. She's a non talent hack who meandered  her way into power somehow.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3878 on: November 21, 2023, 01:22:58 PM »
I definitely think if there's a guy who would steer Star Wars in the direction George Lucas wanted it to go, it would be Filoni. Two years ago I would have been over the moon about this decision. Now after seeing season 3 of The Mandalorian (which was pretty mediocre), and Ahsoka (which was better, but still not as good as I hoped), I'm less sure. Hopefully this moves Ms. Kennedy into a purely business role with no say on the creative aspects of Star Wars. That in itself will be a huge improvement. Definitely makes me more optimistic about the future of Star Wars though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3879 on: November 21, 2023, 01:31:02 PM »
Yeah, I don't know that the recent output from Filoni is terribly reassuring. It's been watchable, but also kind of bad!

Now if they had put the Andor director in charge, we might have something.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3880 on: November 21, 2023, 02:59:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't know that the recent output from Filoni is terribly reassuring. It's been watchable, but also kind of bad!

Disagree on the Filoni output assessment. S3 of Mandalorian was a trainwreck due to Kennedy insisting 'Grogu' remain a part of the story so he and Favreau had to navigate that BS....along with having to shoe horn some more PC crap by including Lizzo and Jack Black into the story for no reason. She's the one who insisted they fire Gina Carano for holding true to her position and opinions and just because they differed from Kennedy's she was fired....a position by the way looking back on she was pretty spot on with now that the real full picture of Covid and the hysteria behind it keeps coming to light. That's neither here nor there though....Favreau has largely been the one 'behind' the Mandalorian and whatever that Boba Fett series was....with Filoni there to inject SW's lore/backstory etc etc as needed. You can attribute nearly all the misfires in these shows and movies directly to Kennedy and her sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.

Ahsoka being pretty much all Filoni was spot on and for all intents and purposes a success. Outside of some tame choreography (that still was heads and tails better than anything we saw in the sequel series) and a couple other slow parts.....the show filled the gaps for Rebels fans.....allowed Ahsoka to come to grips with her past and losing Anakin in a pretty beautiful manner....AND introduced the best "villain" we've seen since Darth Maul in Baylan (RIP Ray) and brought to screen one of the cooler characters that was introduced in Rebels and book....Thrawn. It set up the upcoming movie(s) and D+ shows....so, I just don't see how what Filoni has been giving us is anything BUT reassuring.

Remove Kennedy from the equation and let Filoni and Favreau tell the stories and it'll be fine. Keep allowing her to inject that PC crap that South Park has done a terrific job in roasting her for and you'll keep getting some eye roll moments that are completely out of place and not needed that detract from the story.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3881 on: November 21, 2023, 03:32:42 PM »

Disagree on the Filoni output assessment. S3 of Mandalorian was a trainwreck due to Kennedy insisting 'Grogu' remain a part of the story so he and Favreau had to navigate that BS....along with having to shoe horn some more PC crap by including Lizzo and Jack Black into the story for no reason. She's the one who insisted they fire Gina Carano for holding true to her position and opinions and just because they differed from Kennedy's she was fired....a position by the way looking back on she was pretty spot on with now that the real full picture of Covid and the hysteria behind it keeps coming to light. That's neither here nor there though....Favreau has largely been the one 'behind' the Mandalorian and whatever that Boba Fett series was....with Filoni there to inject SW's lore/backstory etc etc as needed. You can attribute nearly all the misfires in these shows and movies directly to Kennedy and her sticking her nose where it doesn't belong.

Ahsoka being pretty much all Filoni was spot on and for all intents and purposes a success. Outside of some tame choreography (that still was heads and tails better than anything we saw in the sequel series) and a couple other slow parts.....the show filled the gaps for Rebels fans.....allowed Ahsoka to come to grips with her past and losing Anakin in a pretty beautiful manner....AND introduced the best "villain" we've seen since Darth Maul in Baylan (RIP Ray) and brought to screen one of the cooler characters that was introduced in Rebels and book....Thrawn. It set up the upcoming movie(s) and D+ shows....so, I just don't see how what Filoni has been giving us is anything BUT reassuring.

Remove Kennedy from the equation and let Filoni and Favreau tell the stories and it'll be fine. Keep allowing her to inject that PC crap that South Park has done a terrific job in roasting her for and you'll keep getting some eye roll moments that are completely out of place and not needed that detract from the story.

I guess I was thinking Filoni had a bigger role in Mandalorian. I think Ahsoka was fine from a big picture standpoint, but it mainly existed to set that up. Some really poor writing and acting in that one.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3882 on: November 21, 2023, 03:49:22 PM »
I guess this would be the thread where I announce I'm seeing a panel at Fan Expo SF with none other than Mark Hamill... :RJ:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3883 on: November 21, 2023, 03:50:14 PM »
I guess this would be the thread where I announce I'm seeing a panel at Fan Expo SF with none other than Mark Hamill... :RJ:

Will you get to personally meet him? By all accounts he's just a remarkable person.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3884 on: November 21, 2023, 04:00:34 PM »

Will you get to personally meet him? By all accounts he's just a remarkable person.

Nah, it's a large discussion panel where people can line up and ask questions (at least that's how others are, not sure if this will be the same since it's literally the biggest star in the geek community possible).

The prices on photo ops are stupid expensive...like $399 expensive. Autographs are even worse...what I really wanted to do, my kid has an original SW poster signed by Carrie Fisher, and I would've loved to have that signed by Hamill as well. First off I highly doubt she'd part with her most prized possession for even a second much less shipping it across country, and secondly, autographs on larger items like that are $699. I mean holy fuck man.

Also got a panel Saturday night with ALL FOUR MOTHERFUCKING HOBBITS!!!!!!!!! I honestly think I'm more excited about that one.