Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 252684 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3710 on: April 13, 2023, 10:06:41 AM »
Honestly, the original plan for Episode 9 sounds way better than what we got. Maybe the problem is the Lucasfilm brass getting themselves too involved.

I sincerely hope that if the Rey movie or the first Jedi move are hoped to set up their own trilogies, that the writers of the initial movies at least sketch out a path for sequels.

Yep....I'll try to find the link, but there is a storyboard version of that out there and it's pretty good. WAY better than what was given to us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3711 on: April 13, 2023, 10:25:01 AM »
Last episode was alright....nice action sequence with that fight at the end. I get bugged by inconsistencies though.....like, when Din and Grogu went to the planet before and even when Bo Katan came to rescue Din.....they didn't need to "clear the landing zone". Seemed like a silly task....then I guess the surviving Mandalorians didn't care to investigate the two times Din/Bo came to the planet? Or didn't notice Moff Gideon building a pretty significant base right under their noses? That kind of stuff bugs me....

I think it's clear at this point that the armorer is working with/for Moff Gideon. She conveniently volunteered to take the injured back to the ships and it was pretty telling when she disputed being part of the Death Watch. She never said 'no I'm not'....she just gave a brief and confusing history lesson. She was wanting Bo Katan to round all the Mandalorians up so it'd be simpler for Gideon to wipe them out.

I'll be disappointed if they drag out the Gideon story arc past this season. This season 'should' end with Bo Katan definitively killing him. He's not a part of the story we know in the future and he's been kind of a side note in this season. we have all the pieces of the story now with Bo Katan filling in the story as to why/how he ended up with the Dark Saber....and it's just set up for that arc to end. Really hoping they don't drag it out.

And, wondering when the Mythosaur will make an appearance? At first I thought whatever that creature was that popped out of the ground was going to be it but I guess it wasn't as they just moved on from it and never mentioned it.
I agree with those criticisms, but they weren't a huge deal to me.

As for Moff Gideon, I think he has to stay the main bad guy until Thrawn shows up. If that happens in Ahsoka and Mando Season 4 picks up from there, then Gideon is unnecessary and can be killed off now. The armorer is definitely shady, but maybe we're supposed to think that and someone else will be the Mandalorian traitor, if there is one.

I was thinking the Mythosaur would show up in the season's finale, but as of right now, that seems too early. I think that needs to be the final reason why Bo-Katan ends up leading a resurgent Mandalore, not putting together a ragtag group of beat up and defeated Mandalorians. Or maybe that's how she frees Din and kills Gideon.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3712 on: April 13, 2023, 10:49:39 AM »
How have we not discussed Grogu riding around in IG-12? I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's kind of awesome, but kind of silly at the same time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3713 on: April 13, 2023, 11:02:28 AM »
How have we not discussed Grogu riding around in IG-12? I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's kind of awesome, but kind of silly at the same time.

It is silly. I'd think the Pod gives him more mobility and ability to conceal himself.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3714 on: April 13, 2023, 11:47:59 AM »

It is silly. I'd think the Pod gives him more mobility and ability to conceal himself.
True, but it also prevents him from really doing anything. IG-12 would at least give him the ability to interact in different ways as he did in this episode. And to potentially fight as well.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3715 on: April 13, 2023, 04:11:51 PM »
Lots of action, lots of good stuff, and some silly or not well-thought-out stuff.  So, par for the course.

Paz got his hero's exit.  That was cool.  I'm still not sure what the deal is with The Armorer.  She kept the covert going single-handedly all this time, but now she's turned?  That doesn't really make sense, and I would have some trouble with it if that's where they're going.  Din again as something of a side player to Bo-Katan's story, but I was okay with that.

I watch with the closed captions on most of the time, including this show, and it amuses me that Din Djarin is still The Mandalorian.  Bo can say something, Paz, Axe, and it's their names.  The Armorer is just The Armorer, but which Din talks it's always The Mandalorian.  Even though we know his name now, and the scene can consist of a dozen characters, all Mandalorians, Din is The Mandalorian.  Yeah, I'm easily amused.

Grogu with his new mech suit is pretty cool.  I like how he broke up the fight between Paz and Axe.  "NO!"  The kid had to stop the grownups from fighting.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3716 on: April 13, 2023, 04:36:18 PM »
In addition to the giant Mythosaur, there's also another humongous creature living underground that survived the bombing. How did they live on the planet before then with that thing, and why do they seem to be attracted to planets with deadly Kaiju on them?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3717 on: April 13, 2023, 06:24:03 PM »
Fun episode, great action sequence at the end.

Grogu's mech suit is fucking adorable... him stopping the fight was hilarious. I'm fully in with them rolling with this one, hopefully he can channel the force into his suit usage and kick some serious ass soon.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3718 on: April 14, 2023, 07:38:08 AM »
I'll be one of the crazy folk who will say The Last Jedi is one of the best Star Wars films. Ep. IX, on the other hand, is hands down the worst.
Neither of those propositions are crazy.  They are 100% accurate.

Pretty good episode, other than Grogu using IG-12 as an Iron Man armor.  I guess next week is the season finale?  Is that right?

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3719 on: April 14, 2023, 08:23:04 AM »
I guess next week is the season finale?  Is that right?

Yep.

For me, it's been an underwhelming season. I've really enjoyed the Bo Katan arc. I get that every show out there has 'filler' episodes and content but this season had WAY too much of that type of thing. Lots of wasted screentime and just silly/dumb content.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3720 on: April 14, 2023, 08:35:30 AM »

Yep.

For me, it's been an underwhelming season. I've really enjoyed the Bo Katan arc. I get that every show out there has 'filler' episodes and content but this season had WAY too much of that type of thing. Lots of wasted screentime and just silly/dumb content.
I agree this has been the weakest season of The Mandalorian so far, but I've still enjoyed it a lot. I don't feel like there were necessarily filler episodes this season, but more like filler material in general within episodes that didn't add much (like the Jack Black droid investigation stuff). I wish they would just focus on the main plot more and if they're going to mix in filler, have it be something where Din can be a badass fighter. Or have more of him being a mentor and father figure to Grogu.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3721 on: April 14, 2023, 08:40:35 AM »

Yep.

I agree this has been the weakest season of The Mandalorian so far, but I've still enjoyed it a lot. I don't feel like there were necessarily filler episodes this season, but more like filler material in general within episodes that didn't add much (like the Jack Black droid investigation stuff). I wish they would just focus on the main plot more and if they're going to mix in filler, have it be something where Din can be a badass fighter. Or have more of him being a mentor and father figure to Grogu.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. To be clear, I enjoy the heck out of all things SW's. This wasn't a 'bad' season per say but as you mention...it was the weakest of them yet. Still good. The Bo Katan content and character arc was great!!! Just a little too much of the mix in filler and unrelated material for me though to be completely satisfied.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3722 on: April 14, 2023, 09:43:57 AM »
I guess I'm the opposite.  While this season hasn't been all thrills and chills, I don't like it when every minute of every episode has to fit into the season-long story arc.  I hate feeling like I'm watching an eight-hour movie in eight installments.  I like the occassional diversion to go deliver frog eggs or save some people from marauding assholes.  Or investigate why droids have been malfunctioning.  I'm in for the world-building, the side characters, and whatever else they want to throw in.  It's Star Wars.  It's fun.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3723 on: April 14, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »
I guess I'm the opposite.  While this season hasn't been all thrills and chills, I don't like it when every minute of every episode has to fit into the season-long story arc.  I hate feeling like I'm watching an eight-hour movie in eight installments.  I like the occassional diversion to go deliver frog eggs or save some people from marauding assholes.  Or investigate why droids have been malfunctioning.  I'm in for the world-building, the side characters, and whatever else they want to throw in.  It's Star Wars.  It's fun.

I can see that, depends on the show though, for me at least. With Andor there was never any side quests or cute fan service bits, and that was for me the best SW show yet. I loved the tight storytelling, but Mandalorian isn't that type of show, so I'm not expecting it. With someone like Grogu in the mix, the diversity in storytelling is necessary.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3724 on: April 14, 2023, 09:52:33 AM »
Okay yeah, Andor was a different type of show, my favorite as well, and in that case I did like that it was one continuous arc.  But it was also broken down into smaller segments, "episodes" of a sort that felt almost like movies.  Episodes 1-3 were an arc, 4-6 were an arc... I forget how the rest broke down, but within the larger story there were breakpoints, and that helped it not feel like it was just one huge story.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3725 on: April 14, 2023, 09:54:01 AM »
Very true. Gotta do a re-watch of that one soon, it was so damn good.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3726 on: April 14, 2023, 09:58:16 AM »
I did an Andor re-watch a couple months ago.  It was just as awesome as I'd remembered, and even a little better since you could see how a lot of the smaller details fit together and made later events make more sense.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3727 on: April 14, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
You know... I do enjoy those things, when I enjoy them. The side quests and random world building stuff can be hit or miss. When they miss it makes for a crappy episode. When they hit, it's good. The main plot almost always seems to hit, which leaves me clambering for more.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3728 on: April 16, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »
Forgot how good the last two Episodes in Season 2 of ‘Rebels’ is…..especially the last one.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3729 on: April 16, 2023, 06:14:50 PM »
Forgot how good the last two Episodes in Season 2 of ‘Rebels’ is…..especially the last one.

Absolute top-tier Star Wars right there.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3730 on: April 17, 2023, 07:12:40 AM »
Anyone else notice that the meat being roasted for the Mandalorian feast was likely those little baby birds they "rescued" a few episodes ago? I caught it when I was watching and thought it was amusing.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3731 on: April 17, 2023, 07:50:04 AM »
Amusing indeed!  Also a bit disturbing.  Even if that's the intent, they probably aren't going to confirm this.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3732 on: April 17, 2023, 07:59:42 AM »
Amusing indeed!  Also a bit disturbing.  Even if that's the intent, they probably aren't going to confirm this.
It is a little disturbing, especially since they called them Foundlings at the time. But honestly this is better than them being ridden my Mandalorians.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3733 on: April 17, 2023, 09:48:11 AM »
Anyone else notice that the meat being roasted for the Mandalorian feast was likely those little baby birds they "rescued" a few episodes ago? I caught it when I was watching and thought it was amusing.

:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3734 on: April 18, 2023, 09:20:10 PM »
I don’t know about the Armorer being bad. I don’t quite trust her (and my wife thinks she’s up to no good), but I can’t figure the motive (no idea what the Death Squad is though, so maybe that’s something).

Anyone else think Grogu stayed behind when Din Jarin got caught? I didn’t notice him leave, and it would have been hard for that robot to maneuver through the hole in the wall.

These guys have jet packs, but never seem to use them when they are in trouble. Why didn’t Jumbo just take off when he was surrounded by the storm troopers?

I figure Kim’s Convenience will put two and two together and arrive just in time with a squadron of New Republic fighters to take out the Empire base on Mandalore.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3735 on: April 19, 2023, 03:55:00 AM »
That was a surprisingly complete ending.  Kindoff devoid of any major shocks, but satisfying enough.  Just feel that maybe the actual finale rather than just the season finale?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3736 on: April 19, 2023, 06:16:40 AM »
That was a kickass finale, lots of good fights. It looks like they did how Westworld season 4 wrapped up, a finale to close things and at the same time have options open if more seasons are approved. I get the feeling this is it for the Mandalorian and all other shows now take the front stage esp Ahsoka. If anything they probably will have cameos in other shows. Even though it was a somewhat uneven season in terms of the focus, all in all I enjoyed it quite a bit. Easily the weakest of the three but still a lot of fun.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3737 on: April 19, 2023, 09:11:41 AM »
That was a surprisingly complete ending.  Kindoff devoid of any major shocks, but satisfying enough.  Just feel that maybe the actual finale rather than just the season finale?

Yeah....it was a 'fitting' finale, especially for this season. Will wait a bit for everyone to watch before saying too much more. With them announcing a 'Mando' movie I'd be surprised if they do another season of 'The Mandalorian'. Especially if 'Ahsoka' is now going to address Thrawn and that aspect...there is the chance for crossover characters in that series.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3738 on: April 19, 2023, 09:28:37 AM »

:clap:

Didn't catch this, but this is great  :lol

I'll finish the season tonight, but add me to the group underwhelmed by this season. I'm not sure a perfect season finale can save it for me, but I still hope it ends in a way that makes me want to continue watching.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3739 on: April 19, 2023, 11:06:19 AM »
I'd be surprised if they do another season of 'The Mandalorian'.

Just read that apparently a S4 has already been written and according to insiders they'll begin filming in October. No 'official' word from Disney though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3740 on: April 19, 2023, 04:45:45 PM »
Really fun finish, classic Star Wars all around. They did wrap it up nicely without going ballistic on anything silly, and left just enough room to expand the show. Curious to see where Ahsoka takes it from here.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3741 on: April 19, 2023, 07:50:43 PM »
Never did figure out who "The Spies" (the title of the previous episode) were, and kept expecting some kind of shocking twist, but no, just a bunch of blasting and fighting and ships blowing up and stuff.  Good Star Wars fun.  Main stories all wrapped up, but plenty of options if they want to continue.  No complaints.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3742 on: April 20, 2023, 04:42:16 AM »
I think I'm OK with no big twist in the finale. I liked that a lot. A fitting ending, though a Bo and Din smooch would have been fun. :lol

I agree that could have been the finale for the show, not just the season. But we know there is more coming supposedly.  Though viewership has been down this season apparently, so who knows. We'll wait for official word on season 4.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3743 on: April 20, 2023, 06:19:24 AM »
It was an ok finale. There wasn't another writer's strike was there?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3744 on: April 20, 2023, 08:16:32 AM »
I didn't care for the finale.  Yeah, it tied up the story, but was so anti-climatic with everything happening as expected.  I can't imagine the whole "spies" thing is never going to come back up though?  Also, Din Grogu  :rollin who comes up with this shit

The sad part is, I feel like there was a really good story in this season that didn't get a chance to play out.  So much potential.

I feel like it's unlikely Moff truly died.  Well, he may have, but I think the focus on the clones of him and his new armor leaves holes for the writers to bring him back. 

If it wasn't for my gf wanting to watch these shows, I don't think I would continue. They ruined a good show with this crap season IMO.