Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 252074 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3675 on: April 08, 2023, 08:14:16 AM »
Also this week, he had a cameo in A Million Little Things, as himself.

Nice to see him drawing a couple of new paychecks, I guess.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3676 on: April 08, 2023, 11:05:22 AM »
I was a little disappointed to see that Andor season 2 is going to keep us waiting until August 2024. I miss the days of shows having a new season once a year.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3677 on: April 08, 2023, 11:26:16 AM »
Looks like the Grogu thoughts are true. Saw a story that Favreau was pissed about Grogu being forced on him by Kathleen Kennedy. He wanted a reunion towards the end of this season and she made him reunite them during Boba Fett. This explains why the only real thing he has brought to this season is getting Bo to rescue Mando on Mandalore.

As always, I'm not overly critical like most. I just enjoy things for what they are. I've had no issue with the season. I enjoy it and that's good enough for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3678 on: April 08, 2023, 01:03:20 PM »
What are the chances Grogu gets digitally added into Revenge of the Sith at some point?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3679 on: April 08, 2023, 09:07:16 PM »
Looks like the Grogu thoughts are true. Saw a story that Favreau was pissed about Grogu being forced on him by Kathleen Kennedy. He wanted a reunion towards the end of this season and she made him reunite them during Boba Fett. This explains why the only real thing he has brought to this season is getting Bo to rescue Mando on Mandalore.

As always, I'm not overly critical like most. I just enjoy things for what they are. I've had no issue with the season. I enjoy it and that's good enough for me.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing, but it's not like I'm mad about it.  This season has been fun, as they all have been so far.  There have been things which if you want to take it apart, yeah, it could have been done better.  But lots of good stuff overall.  I like where they're going with Bo Katan.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3680 on: April 09, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3681 on: April 09, 2023, 11:16:14 AM »
^ ROTJ was my favorite Star Wars movie growing up! Why? The green lightsaber of course! :hat

Whenever I watch it nowadays, I find my opinion of it always worsens just a tad, but there's no doubting it has some incredible moments! The final space battle is still the gold standard!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online HOF

« Reply #3682 on: April 09, 2023, 02:10:06 PM »
^ ROTJ was my favorite Star Wars movie growing up! Why? The green lightsaber of course! :hat

Whenever I watch it nowadays, I find my opinion of it always worsens just a tad, but there's no doubting it has some incredible moments! The final space battle is still the gold standard!

It is the best looking of the three original movies IMO. Was always my favorite as well. The Ewoks are silly but it’s not a big deal to me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3683 on: April 09, 2023, 02:23:56 PM »
Will it be the original theatrical release or the Lucasified version?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: April 09, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »

Oh man, when that green lightsaber lights up for the first time, I imagine 7 year old me went bananas. Such a good decision to cut out that early scene of Luke making his new lightsaber.

46 year old me feels the same as you. It is a movie with great moments, more than it is a great movie. I could critique it, but most everything would be a nitpick, most of them being judgment calls that don't detract from my enjoyment of it. My biggest shift over time was thinking that the section rescuing Han goes on way too long. I don't remember it bothering me at all, until the Special Editions were released and I saw it at that stage in my life.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3685 on: April 10, 2023, 06:46:03 AM »
It will be the current version. The originals no longer exist in any high quality format.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3686 on: April 10, 2023, 06:49:03 AM »
It will be the current version. The originals no longer exist in any high quality format.

That is correct, the best option for those who want to seek out those version is to get the despecialized versions. They are I think the closest things to the original versions.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3687 on: April 10, 2023, 08:06:26 AM »
We will probably be hitting up that ROTJ re-release.  Not my favorite (Empire, baby!), but an outstanding film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3688 on: April 10, 2023, 08:17:52 AM »
Trailer for Visions Volume 2, coming May 4th.
https://youtu.be/SSXqU92cymY

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3689 on: April 10, 2023, 08:58:25 AM »
Started a re-watch of Rebels last night to lead into Ahsoka this summer. I forgot how cool that show is. I love how it just jumps right in to action and story....really no 'boring' period to start that series.

Read an article where Dave Filioni said that the average viewer wouldn't need to know the entire history of TCW's and Rebels to enjoy the Ahsoka series. BUT...that if you did...it's only going to enhance the show for you. He did say at minimum one should watch S4 Ep. 10 of 'Rebels' called "Jedi Knight".....and that if you really wanted to feel prepped then watch the entire 4th Season of Rebels.

Me personally....I'd suggest hammering out the entire series of Rebels just because it's really good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3690 on: April 10, 2023, 11:05:02 AM »

Oh man, when that green lightsaber lights up for the first time, I imagine 7 year old me went bananas. Such a good decision to cut out that early scene of Luke making his new lightsaber.

46 year old me feels the same as you. It is a movie with great moments, more than it is a great movie. I could critique it, but most everything would be a nitpick, most of them being judgment calls that don't detract from my enjoyment of it. My biggest shift over time was thinking that the section rescuing Han goes on way too long. I don't remember it bothering me at all, until the Special Editions were released and I saw it at that stage in my life.

Yea. I think the Ewok stuff is honestly pretty weird, especially after the darker tone and deeper human emotions of Empire. It's weird seeing teddy bears walk around. :lol It also took me a while to notice that some of the characters, like Han and Vader, kind of don't do anything? They definitely have some cool moments and they have a role to play in the story, it's just that they have nowhere near the presence they had in Empire. Vader pretty much just stands around the whole time and does what the Emperor wants. :millahhhh

But it has a great opening. And a greater closing. And the green lightsaber. So it's all good to me. :hefdaddy

Online HOF

« Reply #3691 on: April 10, 2023, 02:16:21 PM »

Yea. I think the Ewok stuff is honestly pretty weird, especially after the darker tone and deeper human emotions of Empire. It's weird seeing teddy bears walk around. :lol It also took me a while to notice that some of the characters, like Han and Vader, kind of don't do anything? They definitely have some cool moments and they have a role to play in the story, it's just that they have nowhere near the presence they had in Empire. Vader pretty much just stands around the whole time and does what the Emperor wants. :millahhhh

But it has a great opening. And a greater closing. And the green lightsaber. So it's all good to me. :hefdaddy

This is an interesting point. I think ROTJ sets up Vader's redemption arc by shifting the villain focus from Vader to the Emperor. In fact Empire kind of starts that with the "I am your father" reveal. A ruthless Vader could have destroyed Luke there and then, but he didn't. Yeah, he wanted to join forces with him, but there is a definite father-son dynamic that changes Vader a bit there, and continues all the way until he decides to choose saving Luke over serving Palpatine. I saw an article the other day that claimed viewers were initially upset that Luke didn't take out the Emperor himself, because the hero is supposed to defeat the bad guy. But it's a much more interesting plot twist for Vader to do it, both to save himself  and Luke (who he didn't want to give in to the dark side).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3692 on: April 10, 2023, 02:39:14 PM »

This is an interesting point. I think ROTJ sets up Vader's redemption arc by shifting the villain focus from Vader to the Emperor. In fact Empire kind of starts that with the "I am your father" reveal. A ruthless Vader could have destroyed Luke there and then, but he didn't. Yeah, he wanted to join forces with him, but there is a definite father-son dynamic that changes Vader a bit there, and continues all the way until he decides to choose saving Luke over serving Palpatine. I saw an article the other day that claimed viewers were initially upset that Luke didn't take out the Emperor himself, because the hero is supposed to defeat the bad guy. But it's a much more interesting plot twist for Vader to do it, both to save himself  and Luke (who he didn't want to give in to the dark side).

And…..which is why they missed a prime opportunity for Anakin Skywalker to ‘manifest’ at the end of the last movie…..that BTW was called ‘The Rise of SKYWALKER’ and be the one to defeat the Emperor….again. How fitting and cool would it have been for some dust to swirl and atmosphere to percolate and then have Anakin Skywalker standing there.

He IS the chosen one and was powerful enough to defeat the Son and Daughter of the force…..so, it wouldn’t have been out of the question for him to pull of a little manifestation in that moment.

But instead we got what we got which was lame as hell.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3693 on: April 10, 2023, 03:05:33 PM »

And…..which is why they missed a prime opportunity for Anakin Skywalker to ‘manifest’ at the end of the last movie…..that BTW was called ‘The Rise of SKYWALKER’ and be the one to defeat the Emperor….again. How fitting and cool would it have been for some dust to swirl and atmosphere to percolate and then have Anakin Skywalker standing there.

He IS the chosen one and was powerful enough to defeat the Son and Daughter of the force…..so, it wouldn’t have been out of the question for him to pull of a little manifestation in that moment.

But instead we got what we got which was lame as hell.

Not to defend the Sequel Trilogy, but the way I see it is, if it weren't for Anakin saving Luke in ROTJ, then Luke would not have been around to set in motion the events that created by Kylo Ren/First Order, as well as Rey's rise to power as a new Jedi. Anakin's actions in ROTJ definitely helped with putting a definitive end to the Emperor and the Sith, so he did indirectly help. I think having a Force Ghost Anakin (especially one made of dust and sand LOL) would've been SUPER cheesy and taken away from Rey's and Ben's stories (for what they're worth, anyway). It wasn't perfect, but it definitely saw the culmination of the Skywalker bloodline with Ben turning to help defeat Palpatine, much in the same way that Anakin turned to defeat him in ROTJ.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3694 on: April 10, 2023, 10:39:03 PM »
I never had any problems with the Ewoks, though as I got older I grew more aware of the lag between when the shuttle crew lands on Endor and when the final battle begins.

I saw an article the other day that claimed viewers were initially upset that Luke didn't take out the Emperor himself, because the hero is supposed to defeat the bad guy. But it's a much more interesting plot twist for Vader to do it, both to save himself  and Luke (who he didn't want to give in to the dark side).

Even as I kid I got that the whole point was that the power of good was ultimately stronger than the Dark Side, as Luke was able to defeat the Emperor through his father's redemption.

I cannot comment on the climax/end of RoS, as it was a bit of a mess for me, and I'd have to see it again to have a better perspective on it. But that would mean watching that movie again, which I have no burning desire to do so.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3695 on: April 11, 2023, 10:30:02 AM »
Not to defend the Sequel Trilogy, but the way I see it is, if it weren't for Anakin saving Luke in ROTJ, then Luke would not have been around to set in motion the events that created by Kylo Ren/First Order, as well as Rey's rise to power as a new Jedi. Anakin's actions in ROTJ definitely helped with putting a definitive end to the Emperor and the Sith, so he did indirectly help. I think having a Force Ghost Anakin (especially one made of dust and sand LOL) would've been SUPER cheesy and taken away from Rey's and Ben's stories (for what they're worth, anyway). It wasn't perfect, but it definitely saw the culmination of the Skywalker bloodline with Ben turning to help defeat Palpatine, much in the same way that Anakin turned to defeat him in ROTJ.

-Marc.
I think this is a bit of a recurring problem with Rise of Skywalker. It doesn't completely invalidate what came before but it definitely makes it a bit less effective, at least for me. Regarding the Emperor, I think everything you said makes complete sense but it probably would have been cooler if they just kept it simple and stuck with Vader killing the Emperor for good back in ROTJ. I also think that, while having Rey be a Palpatine doesn't completely ruin the ideas and themes of TLJ, it would have been cooler if Rey stayed as no one.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3696 on: April 11, 2023, 10:42:59 AM »

-Marc.
I think this is a bit of a recurring problem with Rise of Skywalker. It doesn't completely invalidate what came before but it definitely makes it a bit less effective, at least for me. Regarding the Emperor, I think everything you said makes complete sense but it probably would have been cooler if they just kept it simple and stuck with Vader killing the Emperor for good back in ROTJ. I also think that, while having Rey be a Palpatine doesn't completely ruin the ideas and themes of TLJ, it would have been cooler if Rey stayed as no one.

I didn't utterly 'hate' the sequel series.....I actually thought that The Last Jedi was a really good stand alone movie and wasn't upset with how they handled Luke at all.

My issue with them is pretty much what  has been beat to death already.....the lack of planning a comprehensive and thought out three movie arc. It's painfully obvious they didn't and each movie suffered due to that and the SW story itself suffered. No excuse for what happened there. They're 'fun' movies and all but the potential was there for something great and they completely screwed the pooch on it.

And.....I wasn't sold on Rey being as powerful and 'all that' as she was made out to be. They did nothing to make me buy into it.  No, I don't hate women or any of the other criticisms that are flung at people with that opinion.....I just don't think they did a good job of 'building' her into what they wanted her to be. And, that was part of the failure in that sequel trilogy. Her arc wasn't earned IMO.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3697 on: April 11, 2023, 03:18:25 PM »
You guys have made some nice, insightful comments . . . in the end it’s always the battle for money that trumps everything, even if it undermines awesome character moments from previous canonized films.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3698 on: April 12, 2023, 07:49:11 AM »
Damn nice episode, lot of action along with some predictable silliness and strategy. Overall I liked that episode a lot.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3699 on: April 12, 2023, 09:10:11 AM »

-Marc.

I didn't utterly 'hate' the sequel series.....I actually thought that The Last Jedi was a really good stand alone movie and wasn't upset with how they handled Luke at all.

My issue with them is pretty much what  has been beat to death already.....the lack of planning a comprehensive and thought out three movie arc. It's painfully obvious they didn't and each movie suffered due to that and the SW story itself suffered. No excuse for what happened there. They're 'fun' movies and all but the potential was there for something great and they completely screwed the pooch on it.

And.....I wasn't sold on Rey being as powerful and 'all that' as she was made out to be. They did nothing to make me buy into it.  No, I don't hate women or any of the other criticisms that are flung at people with that opinion.....I just don't think they did a good job of 'building' her into what they wanted her to be. And, that was part of the failure in that sequel trilogy. Her arc wasn't earned IMO.
Yea, the whole sequel trilogy feels somewhat pointless to me because of the lack of planning and how some of the movies are actively in conflict with each other. :lol

There are some great moments, like Rey finding Luke in VII, the throne room scene in VIII, the Luke-Leia reunion in VIII, Kylo turning to the light side in IX by inverting his actions from VII, and pretty much every Kylo-Rey scene... But it just kind of doesn't matter to me as much as it should because the themes are so jumbled and it's all a bit too similar to the original trilogy.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3700 on: April 12, 2023, 09:49:13 AM »

The Ewoks were going to be Wookies initially, but the budget came up short.   ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3701 on: April 12, 2023, 01:11:57 PM »
I'll be one of the crazy folk who will say The Last Jedi is one of the best Star Wars films. Ep. IX, on the other hand, is hands down the worst.

But, back to The Mandalorian shall we.. crazy episode today, easily the best in Season 3 so far, and a great set-up to what's probably going to be an amazing finale. Lots to unpack in this one, so I won't spoil until US folks have had the chance to watch as well :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online HOF

« Reply #3702 on: April 12, 2023, 03:15:51 PM »
You know, I've still never seen episodes VIII and IX.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3703 on: April 12, 2023, 08:46:50 PM »
I enjoyed that episode a lot. I can't believe there's only one left this season.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3704 on: April 12, 2023, 09:12:13 PM »
I'll be one of the crazy folk who will say The Last Jedi is one of the best Star Wars films. Ep. IX, on the other hand, is hands down the worst.

In the theater, I enjoyed The Last Jedi much more than I did Force Awakens in the theater, and even thought "Now this is more like it!" Then I got home and forgot most of what I had enjoyed while watching it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3705 on: April 12, 2023, 10:47:26 PM »

In the theater, I enjoyed The Last Jedi much more than I did Force Awakens in the theater, and even thought "Now this is more like it!" Then I got home and forgot most of what I had enjoyed while watching it.

The Last Jedi was the best film of the sequel series. It was just a really good movie across the board…..too bad they didn’t let Rian Johnson just write and direct all three. Good chance it’d have been an epic trilogy.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3706 on: April 13, 2023, 05:32:34 AM »

The Last Jedi was the best film of the sequel series. It was just a really good movie across the board…..too bad they didn’t let Rian Johnson just write and direct all three. Good chance it’d have been an epic trilogy.
I think if they'd let JJ Abrams write and direct all three it would have been epic as well. The biggest problem was two different writers/directors who didn't agree on the vision and actively worked to undo what the other had done.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3707 on: April 13, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »

I think if they'd let JJ Abrams write and direct all three it would have been epic as well. The biggest problem was two different writers/directors who didn't agree on the vision and actively worked to undo what the other had done.

Abrams is sometimes good at beginnings, but terrible at endings.  He seeds everything with his "mystery boxes", but doesn't know the answers to any of the mysteries.  Even if you have multiple writers and/or directors, someone laying out the overall story for the trilogy was a necessary step they skipped.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3708 on: April 13, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
Honestly, the original plan for Episode 9 sounds way better than what we got. Maybe the problem is the Lucasfilm brass getting themselves too involved.

I sincerely hope that if the Rey movie or the first Jedi move are hoped to set up their own trilogies, that the writers of the initial movies at least sketch out a path for sequels.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3709 on: April 13, 2023, 10:05:40 AM »
Last episode was alright....nice action sequence with that fight at the end. I get bugged by inconsistencies though.....like, when Din and Grogu went to the planet before and even when Bo Katan came to rescue Din.....they didn't need to "clear the landing zone". Seemed like a silly task....then I guess the surviving Mandalorians didn't care to investigate the two times Din/Bo came to the planet? Or didn't notice Moff Gideon building a pretty significant base right under their noses? That kind of stuff bugs me....

I think it's clear at this point that the armorer is working with/for Moff Gideon. She conveniently volunteered to take the injured back to the ships and it was pretty telling when she disputed being part of the Death Watch. She never said 'no I'm not'....she just gave a brief and confusing history lesson. She was wanting Bo Katan to round all the Mandalorians up so it'd be simpler for Gideon to wipe them out.

I'll be disappointed if they drag out the Gideon story arc past this season. This season 'should' end with Bo Katan definitively killing him. He's not a part of the story we know in the future and he's been kind of a side note in this season. we have all the pieces of the story now with Bo Katan filling in the story as to why/how he ended up with the Dark Saber....and it's just set up for that arc to end. Really hoping they don't drag it out.

And, wondering when the Mythosaur will make an appearance? At first I thought whatever that creature was that popped out of the ground was going to be it but I guess it wasn't as they just moved on from it and never mentioned it.