Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 251431 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3640 on: April 05, 2023, 05:31:49 PM »
I'm getting bored of Grogu. He barely does anything, so why is he there? I get why they want him on the show, but if all he's there for is to look cute, he's pointless. I don't expect him to go all Flippy Flippy with a lightsaber, but he really doesn't add anything to any scene he's in. They could have even reintroduced him later with Luke, and he could show off some skills. I know there's only so much they can do with a puppet before relying on CGI. Grogu just does nothing for me at this point. He should have stayed with Luke.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3641 on: April 05, 2023, 07:33:45 PM »
That was... not the best. Kinda weird. I was right about the ownership of the darksaber a few episodes back though.

I agree that Grogu isn't doing much. I stated a couple pages ago that a reunion with Din at the end of Season 3 would have been better. I stand by that comment.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3642 on: April 05, 2023, 09:14:49 PM »
Yeah…..good call on the a dark saber ownership. Good to see Bo Katan get it back.

I think the three cameos were brutal. Totally turned the episode in to a joke IMO. I’m assuming that was Lizzo….or some other C rated musician who performed at a D level acting. Jack Black was wasted. Any other role maybe he’s better but that one was so dumb……and pulling Christopher Lloyd out of moth balls to stumble his way through lines was cringeworthy to watch. Just horrible choices there. Horrible.

The last 10 minutes of the episode should have been the first ten and then go from there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3643 on: April 06, 2023, 04:55:35 AM »
I liked Christpoher Lloyd, but the other two were pretty bad. I agree that the last 10 minutes were really all the mattered in that episode and should have been the focus.

I think we've had enough comedians in The Mandalorian at this point, haven't we? I'd rather they just went with unknown actors for the small roles instead of distracting us with well known people.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 06:43:46 AM by lordxizor »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3644 on: April 06, 2023, 07:36:35 AM »
I liked Christpoher Lloyd, but the other two were pretty bad. I agree that the last 10 minutes were really all the mattered in that episode and should have been the focus.

I think we've had enough comedians in The Mandalorian at this point, haven't we? I'd rather they just went with unknown actors for the small roles instead of distracting us with well known people.

Yeah....it feels like we're at the point where one of the directors or writers are at a dinner party and in some small talk they say "yeah...sure, I'll get you a part on the show!" A change in casting on that episode with some lesser known or more 'serious' actors with a more serious approach....and suddenly the droids that turn on humans issue is a bit more compelling.

I dug the last 10 minutes where Bo Katan kicked the shit out of Ace Woves and re-established herself as the rightful leader. She was a badass in the animated series and they've certainly shown that she hasn't lost a step.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3645 on: April 06, 2023, 08:20:24 AM »
Lizzo was TERRIBLE.  Jack Black just seemed a bit out of place.  Lloyd was fine.

And I agree with the others who have said Grogu is pointless this season.  I actually get a bit annoyed when they show him doing something "cute" because it feels so cheap.  Like it's worn it's welcome out with me because there's no other use of the character other than that especially the whole Lizzo obsession with Grogu. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3646 on: April 06, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »
This is why I always try to stay spoiler-free, including promotional spots of any kind.  I had no idea that any of the stunt guest stars were going to be in last night's episode, so to me they were just characters in the story.  Maybe a little distracting seeing Jack Black as the Duke of Whatever and Christopher Lloyd as Captain Corrupt, but no big deal.

I thought that the "maintenance fluid" or whatever TF that stuff was being hacked was an interesting idea, but the idea that no one had ever thought of even checking out what exactly was being pumped into the droids was lame.  Then it turned out that Captain Corrupt was the one doing it and he was in charge of the investigations, so he got away with it.  Weird little side venture when they only went to that planet so Bo could kick Axe Woves' ass, but it had its roots in something like serious sci-fi, so I was okay with it.  Din talking with the Ugnaughts was fun.  I knew he was gonna end that little speech with "I have spoken" and cheered when he did.  Also, the Ugnaughts may be great techies, but they are kinduv assholes.  They refused to admit that there had even been any malfunctions, even while admitting that there have been countless reports and even a few deaths.  Okay, so technically they weren't malfunctions but were all acts of sabotage, but come on.

I can completely see the theory that Grogu was supposed to be off training with Luke during all this and would be reunited with Din later, except someone at Disney couldn't live with that so instead he's following Din around being cute and selling more toys but otherwise contributing nothing to the story.  The story with Bo rising up to reunite the Mandalorian clans is compelling and doesn't need any distraction, and we see now that it is the main focus this season.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3647 on: April 06, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »
I can completely see the theory that Grogu was supposed to be off training with Luke during all this and would be reunited with Din later, except someone at Disney couldn't live with that so instead he's following Din around being cute and selling more toys but otherwise contributing nothing to the story.  The story with Bo rising up to reunite the Mandalorian clans is compelling and doesn't need any distraction, and we see now that it is the main focus this season.

It completely has the appearance of Filoni and Favreau saying "fine...we'll bring him back" and then just placing him off to the side in the scenes and showing him every now and then.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3648 on: April 06, 2023, 10:24:18 AM »
They didn't jump the shark, but they definitely got their leather vest on and are fueling up the boat...

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3649 on: April 06, 2023, 10:35:32 AM »
I can completely see the theory that Grogu was supposed to be off training with Luke during all this and would be reunited with Din later, except someone at Disney couldn't live with that so instead he's following Din around being cute and selling more toys but otherwise contributing nothing to the story. 
I think this is absolutely the case

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3650 on: April 06, 2023, 10:40:10 AM »
I can completely see the theory that Grogu was supposed to be off training with Luke during all this and would be reunited with Din later, except someone at Disney couldn't live with that so instead he's following Din around being cute and selling more toys but otherwise contributing nothing to the story. 
I think this is absolutely the case

If they were really smart they could've had a running side story of Grogu training with Luke and how he had to escape Ben going full psycho on everyone.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3651 on: April 06, 2023, 10:44:33 AM »
We had something like a Grogu training moment on that planet with the dinocroc and pterodactyls from hell, and they worked in a few moments of Din teaching Grogu something while they're flying around.  All they'd have to do is fit in a few more of those types of scenes, and we'd feel like the bond is growing, Grogu is getting some training, Din is learning how to be a dad-figure if not an actual dad, all that.  I would be fine with that.  But literally having Grogu do nothing except coo and babble once in a while (or leap out of his floating pram at the sight of food) is weak.  It wouldn't be that hard to make it all more organic.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3652 on: April 06, 2023, 10:49:43 AM »
We had something like a Grogu training moment on that planet with the dinocroc and pterodactyls from hell, and they worked in a few moments of Din teaching Grogu something while they're flying around.  All they'd have to do is fit in a few more of those types of scenes, and we'd feel like the bond is growing, Grogu is getting some training, Din is learning how to be a dad-figure if not an actual dad, all that.  I would be fine with that.  But literally having Grogu do nothing except coo and babble once in a while (or leap out of his floating pram at the sight of food) is weak.  It wouldn't be that hard to make it all more organic.
Yeah good point. 2 extra minutes per episode wouldn't have been difficult.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3653 on: April 06, 2023, 11:05:03 AM »
totally agree.... and honestly even the training scenes can still give the cute moments. I mean look how cute he was with the wrist dart shooter...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3654 on: April 06, 2023, 11:27:44 AM »
He was badass with the wrist dart shooter!  I loved that scene.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3655 on: April 06, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »
He was badass with the wrist dart shooter!  I loved that scene.

Right? It's possible to be cute without being stupid. Especially when you start with such inherent cuteness like Grogu.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3656 on: April 06, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »
New for Christmas 2023: Jumping Grogu!

January 2024: Jumping Grogu has been discontinued after one of the toys malfunctioned and gave a child a concussion.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3657 on: April 07, 2023, 05:44:17 AM »
Ahsoka trailer

https://fb.watch/jLKU6gZFBc/

Series arrive on D+ August 2023
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 07:37:08 AM by lordxizor »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3658 on: April 07, 2023, 07:34:26 AM »
New movie coming with Rey leading a new Jedi order, takes place 15 years after Rise of Skywalker - officially discussed at Star Wars Celebration 2023 with Daisy Ridley making an appearance.

I'm not opposed to this. I just think it should be a few more years. I don't think it's been long enough after the sequel trilogy. We need 5-10 more years. Though it will be a couple years before this comes out I'm sure. I also hope they don't call it Episode 10. Will we see Finn as one of her first students and closest Jedi lieutenant? I hope so. Finn's character was not done justice.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3659 on: April 07, 2023, 07:48:38 AM »
So there are three films announced.

First Jedi - Directed by James Mangold
Events set before The Force Awakens - Dave Filoni
15 years after Rise of Skywallker (with Rey coming back) - Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

All intriguing ideas, not sure what happened to all the other previous ones announced with Kevin Fiege, Taika Waititi and the Rian Johnson trilogy. I know the Patty Jenkins one was supposedly canned.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3660 on: April 07, 2023, 07:59:53 AM »
So there are three films announced.

First Jedi - Directed by James Mangold
Events set before The Force Awakens - Dave Filoni
15 years after Rise of Skywallker (with Rey coming back) - Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

All intriguing ideas, not sure what happened to all the other previous ones announced with Kevin Fiege, Taika Waititi and the Rian Johnson trilogy. I know the Patty Jenkins one was supposedly canned.
Awesome, I missed those other two somehow.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3661 on: April 07, 2023, 08:00:26 AM »
I can't help but wonder if Disney are continuing to make the same mistake of announcing way too many movies too early, many of which are clearly "side quest" type films and will probably even get cancelled. :lol

New movie coming with Rey leading a new Jedi order, takes place 15 years after Rise of Skywalker - officially discussed at Star Wars Celebration 2023 with Daisy Ridley making an appearance.

I'm not opposed to this. I just think it should be a few more years. I don't think it's been long enough after the sequel trilogy. We need 5-10 more years. Though it will be a couple years before this comes out I'm sure. I also hope they don't call it Episode 10. Will we see Finn as one of her first students and closest Jedi lieutenant? I hope so. Finn's character was not done justice.
I don't think they should ever make an Episode 10 or any kind of official continuation of the Skywalker Saga, but I do think it would help the brand to have a new trilogy of sorts where the storytelling feels less one-off.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3662 on: April 07, 2023, 08:03:12 AM »
Will we see Finn as one of her first students and closest Jedi lieutenant? I hope so. Finn's character was not done justice.

I vaguely recall the actor playing Finn burning bridges with Lucasfilm or whoever. Not sure if he's going to be involved with this but at this point honestly who knows. The Star Wars shows seem to be happening with a lot more certainty than the movies.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3663 on: April 07, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »
I can't help but wonder if Disney are continuing to make the same mistake of announcing way too many movies too early, many of which are clearly "side quest" type films and will probably even get cancelled. :lol
Yeah, I had this thought too. Filoni's movie sounds like a wrap up of the Mando-verse. So we could see Din Djarin, Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Deepfake Luke, etc. team up to take down Thrawn, but fail to prevent the First Order from rising on the big screen instead of on Disney+. So I would imagine that one is pretty solid. Rey's movie I would imagine is more set in stone since the main star is already attached. The other one sounds a little more vague, but I hope they learned their lesson and have these a little more established (first draft of the script at least) before announcing them.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3664 on: April 07, 2023, 08:20:48 AM »
The Rey one was supposed to be written by Damon Lindelof but he left so that's another participant leaving. I was just reading that there is a slot booked for a star wars movie on Dec 2025. Speculation is that it could be the Rey one.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3665 on: April 07, 2023, 08:23:32 AM »
Will we see Finn as one of her first students and closest Jedi lieutenant? I hope so. Finn's character was not done justice.

I vaguely recall the actor playing Finn burning bridges with Lucasfilm or whoever. Not sure if he's going to be involved with this but at this point honestly who knows. The Star Wars shows seem to be happening with a lot more certainty than the movies.
I don't think he burned bridges. If I recall things correctly, he just publicly stated that he wasn't happy with how Finn was treated and suggested that his skin color may have had something to do with it since the Rose character also was not treated well in Rise of Skywalker either. I thought at the time he and Kathleen Kennedy met and discussed it and that both sides walked away OK. But he has come out expressing no interest in going back to Star Wars I believe. I'm curious what John Boyega's relationship with Daisy Ridley is like. If they became good friends during filming, perhaps she could convince him to come back if the story does Finn justice.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3666 on: April 07, 2023, 08:26:07 AM »
The Rey one was supposed to be written by Damon Lindelof but he left so that's another participant leaving. I was just reading that there is a slot booked for a star wars movie on Dec 2025. Speculation is that it could be the Rey one.
I know writers coming and going isn't uncommon in major studio films, but I feel like it happens at a disturbingly high rate for Star Wars. I suspect it often comes down to the producers and directors not caring for the script. But it seems odd to me that a movie would be greenlit without a solid first draft of a script.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3667 on: April 07, 2023, 08:26:11 AM »
They didn't jump the shark, but they definitely got their leather vest on and are fueling up the boat...
I agree with this assessment.

All of those cameos were brutal and completely unnecessary.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: April 07, 2023, 08:38:01 AM »

Which is unfortunate because underneath all the silliness of this season is a REALLY great character Arc for Bo Katan. Honestly, she's been the only bright light of the season. Katie Sackhoff is killing it and Bo Katan's story/lore continues to grow.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3669 on: April 07, 2023, 09:08:40 AM »
Teaser trailer for Ahsoka has dropped. Looks great!! Saying I'm excited for this would be an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnzNZ0Mdx4I

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3670 on: April 07, 2023, 11:57:48 AM »

Which is unfortunate because underneath all the silliness of this season is a REALLY great character Arc for Bo Katan. Honestly, she's been the only bright light of the season. Katie Sackhoff is killing it and Bo Katan's story/lore continues to grow.
I agree with you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3671 on: April 07, 2023, 12:26:58 PM »

I agree with you.

Lizzo in particular was awkward at best to watch...love her as a musician (anyone pop artist who bust out samples from Heart of the Sunrise gets a nod in my book), but she definitely needs some growth as an actor. Lots of growth.

Jack Black was Jack Black, his schtick was so out of place for the show, and just painful.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3672 on: April 07, 2023, 12:38:12 PM »
What do you all think will be Din's excuse for removing his helmet this season?

Does Bo convince him to abandon the strict version of The Way?
Does Bo convince him to join her in bed? Which makes me chuckle picturing two Mandalorian getting it on with only their helmets. :lol
Is his helmet removed in battle?
Does Grogu remove it with the Force so Din will actually pay attention to him?

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3673 on: April 07, 2023, 03:07:12 PM »
Yikes, this episode was a shocker. I ended up switching it off halfway through and coming back to it later.  :-[

Jack Black and Lizzo were horribly miscast. Poor Christopher Lloyd seemed to be struggling - I really felt for him.

Just what is Grogu’s story arc this season? I have no clue. He just seems to be window dressing at this point.

On the bright side, Katee Sackhoff is great as Bo Katan, and I definitely want to see more from this character, but it seems to me that they’re making the same mistakes as TBOBF, and Din has become a side character in his own show.

Online HOF

« Reply #3674 on: April 07, 2023, 09:36:57 PM »
This Mando episode was hard to watch. The Mandalorians just seem dumber and dumber the longer this series goes on. One faction is all like "you can't be one of us if you take off your helmet." The other faction is like "you can't be our leader if you don't have the magic sword." Mando does some fancy lawyering and then everyone is like "hmmm... yeah, you're right, the magic sword is yours and you can be our leader again."

Sneaking one celebrity in as a minor character is ok, but THREE main characters in one episode is just a bit much. They just sort of make the whole thing feel comical. Lizzo and Jack Black's characters seemed completely unserious. When Lizzo banished Lloyd to the terrible, no good moon and he slinked off like a sad puppy, I about lost it. Then they give Bo Katan a huge honking key. Thanks, I guess!

But, hey, Christopher Lloyd has now been in both Star Trek and Star Wars. Not sure how many actors can say that!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:30:39 AM by HOF »