Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248148 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3605 on: March 30, 2023, 08:04:58 AM »
Zeb!

Yes! That had to be him!
It was indeed, says so in the credits (and voiced again by Steve Blum). I guess we'll probably be seeing him in the Ahsoka series if that's somewhat a continuation from Rebels.

Gotta say…..they really pulled off the look. It wasn’t campy or cheesy at all. Looked great!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3606 on: March 30, 2023, 09:50:40 AM »
I will say that I am noticing the limitations of the Volume and they way most of this show is shot. Andor was largely shot on location and with larger sets. It felt more real. This show often feels small and I think that's due to the fact that they only have a few hundred square feet to work with much of the time. I can't really explain it, but it's a noticeable difference. I didn't really notice it the first two seasons, but I am now. Oddly as the technology is getting better. Am I crazy or does anyone notice it too?

I agree, and I also agree that it's a bit hard to quantify.  It all looks great; the virtual sets look and feel like location shots.  But somehow it still feels like they're on a set sometimes.  Not all the time.  I wonder if the actors subconsciously act just a little bit differently because they know they're in an enclosed space, and it's not quite how you might act if you were really standing out in the open, on the edge of a lake, or out in a desert or something.  Some subtle difference in their movements that we the viewers pick up subconsciously as well.

But overall, a good episode.  The turn with Bo-Katan caught me by surprise, but I kinda like where they're going with it.  The side story with Captain Teva seemed a little odd and maybe unnecessary, but then G68 (Elia Kane) showed up and things were apparently more complicated than I thought.

The deal with the pirates, arguably the main point of the episode, was probably the least interesting plot.  I know it's a sci-fi thing, but it can get a kinda stupid how in a civilization that spans worlds or even galaxies, planets ~ cities.  People fly from one planet to another, and it's like us driving to the next town over, or taking a plane to a different country.  Except in Star Wars, that entire planet is "a desert planet" or "a swamp planet" or something, so it's more analogous to going to a different country.  Nevarro is a planet.  We saw a relatively small town that Karga is the (High) Chancellor of, and... that's it?  When the pirates showed up and started blasting away, realistically they should've destroyed that entire town in about five minutes.  Instead, several dozen people got out, but at some point Karga turned to address them "Citizens of Nevarro" and we see that there's maybe 40 or 50 people... and that's the entire planet?  Also, during that attack by the pirates, doesn't Karga have any kind of local militia or even just regular law enforcement?  No one was defending the city/country/planet.  What the hell does the (High) Chancellor do?  If you've decided that you're an independent planet, not part of the Empire or New Republic or anything, then that means you're on your own as far as defense.  Did it not occur to Karga that the pirates would eventually be back?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3607 on: March 30, 2023, 09:58:56 AM »
Was anyone else waiting for the Armorer to take off her helmet as well and say "screw this shit" or something more eloquent?

Also, if the Mandalorians have no ships, how the hell did they all get on that rock?

I will say that I am noticing the limitations of the Volume and they way most of this show is shot. Andor was largely shot on location and with larger sets. It felt more real. This show often feels small and I think that's due to the fact that they only have a few hundred square feet to work with much of the time. I can't really explain it, but it's a noticeable difference. I didn't really notice it the first two seasons, but I am now. Oddly as the technology is getting better. Am I crazy or does anyone notice it too?

I agree, and I also agree that it's a bit hard to quantify.  It all looks great; the virtual sets look and feel like location shots.  But somehow it still feels like they're on a set sometimes.  Not all the time.  I wonder if the actors subconsciously act just a little bit differently because they know they're in an enclosed space, and it's not quite how you might act if you were really standing out in the open, on the edge of a lake, or out in a desert or something.  Some subtle difference in their movements that we the viewers pick up subconsciously as well.
Glad it's not just me. :lol I agree it all looks great, but it feels off. I think the escaping citizens from Navarro was the tipping point in this episode. Clearly the town has more than 30 people in it, but that's all they showed escaping. Why? Because that's all the Volume could fit of course. Add more with CGI or something. It just felt wrong. The place where the Mandalorian are hanging out felt off too.

I know it's a sci-fi thing, but it can get a kinda stupid how in a civilization that spans worlds or even galaxies, planets ~ cities.  People fly from one planet to another, and it's like us driving to the next town over, or taking a plane to a different country.  Except in Star Wars, that entire planet is "a desert planet" or "a swamp planet" or something, so it's more analogous to going to a different country.  Nevarro is a planet.  We saw a relatively small town that Karga is the (High) Chancellor of, and... that's it? 
I feel like most planets in Star Wars are defined by a single city, or maybe a few. The planets are maybe all really tiny? If there are billions of people on Earth, why aren't there billions on every planets in Star Wars? I remember laughing at the clones in Attack of the Clones. "A million more on the way" What good are a million clones in a galaxy where there are probably hundreds of billions of people? Unless the population just isn't that high because every planet is tiny and sparsely populated apart from Coruscant.

Zeb!

Yes! That had to be him!
It was indeed, says so in the credits (and voiced again by Steve Blum). I guess we'll probably be seeing him in the Ahsoka series if that's somewhat a continuation from Rebels.

Gotta say…..they really pulled off the look. It wasn’t campy or cheesy at all. Looked great!
Was that a physical suit or CGI? It was so quick I couldn't really tell. Either way it looked great.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3608 on: March 30, 2023, 10:13:10 AM »
Was anyone else waiting for the Armorer to take off her helmet as well and say "screw this shit" or something more eloquent?

I wondered if that's where they were going with that, but I mostly wanted The Armorer to take off her helmet because Emily Sparrow is a babe but we haven't seen her at all (yet?)

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: March 30, 2023, 10:15:50 AM »

I thought the same thing. Was anticipating her removing her helmet and giving some sort of 'new era' speech.....still may happen but it felt like it was coming

Was that a physical suit or CGI? It was so quick I couldn't really tell. Either way it looked great.

Don't know.....but it did look good. Maybe a combination of both? Just has me excited that they can utilize him in the Ahsoka series if they wanted to seeing how well they pulled that off. That's a tough character to transfer to live action as far as appearance goes.

I'm thinking since we haven't seen the two Mandalorians that were with Bo Katan last season (Koska Reeves played by Mercedes Varnado and Axe Woves played by Simon Kassianides) that they were involved in stealing Mof Gideon. Which, makes me wonder if Bo Katan was in on it as well? Or, maybe they just make it a different group of Mandalorians we've yet to meet?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3610 on: March 30, 2023, 10:16:43 AM »
Today's episode was quite a riveting one! Halfway through the season and now the pieces are starting to fall in place and the overarching plot is beginning to become clear. Really liked this episode!

-Marc.

Yeah, as someone who said he was losing interest, I'm back to enjoying the show.

Having said that...

Glad it's not just me. :lol I agree it all looks great, but it feels off. I think the escaping citizens from Navarro was the tipping point in this episode. Clearly the town has more than 30 people in it, but that's all they showed escaping. Why? Because that's all the Volume could fit of course. Add more with CGI or something. It just felt wrong. The place where the Mandalorian are hanging out felt off too.

The escaping citizens was a bit ridiculous  :lol it looked like they ran into an open airfield and the big ship above didn't notice? Let alone, my gf's like "that's all who survived in that whole city?!"  It really made little sense, but that goes for so much of this show and yes, I understand I need to suspend my disbelief, but sometimes it's just so bad it's funny.

As for the sets, I had been thinking that it's more that we've seen these set pieces before and that's why it feels that way. I wouldn't say it has bothered me much though, I generally like the way this show has been shot.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3611 on: March 30, 2023, 10:28:48 AM »
I'm thinking since we haven't seen the two Mandalorians that were with Bo Katan last season (Koska Reeves played by Mercedes Varnado and Axe Woves played by Simon Kassianides) that they were involved in stealing Mof Gideon. Which, makes me wonder if Bo Katan was in on it as well? Or, maybe they just make it a different group of Mandalorians we've yet to meet?
I think the Armorer is the leading suspect in freeing Gideon. Or working with Grand Admiral Thrawn to free Gideon. She seems sketchy. It also felt a little too convenient that a small chunk of Beskar was left behind. I smell a frame job.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3612 on: March 30, 2023, 10:31:51 AM »
Definitely a frame job, and a nifty little mystery as well.  I'm curious as to where it's going.

I almost forgot: Nice fake-out with Paz Vizsla.  He starts going on about "Why should we listen to Din Djarin?  Why should we help Nevarro?" and I'm thinking this guy is still such a dick, but then he turned it around.  "Because we're Mandalorians!" and the others listen to him when apparently Din didn't move them at all.  Oh, okay.  99% of people saw that coming I'm sure, but I guess I'm special.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3613 on: March 30, 2023, 10:32:50 AM »
I think the Armorer is the leading suspect in freeing Gideon. Or working with Grand Admiral Thrawn to free Gideon. She seems sketchy. It also felt a little too convenient that a small chunk of Beskar was left behind. I smell a frame job.

Very true.....it's a convenient piece of evidence for sure.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3614 on: March 30, 2023, 10:43:24 AM »
Who's Zeb?  People seem to be freaking out a bit about him.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3615 on: March 30, 2023, 10:50:27 AM »
Who's Zeb?  People seem to be freaking out a bit about him.

He is a major character from the animated series 'Rebels'.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Garazeb_Orrelios

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3616 on: March 30, 2023, 10:57:28 AM »
Interesting.  His history seems to involve the Mandalorians a bit (based on skimming through a very thorough article) so it makes sense to include him here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3617 on: March 31, 2023, 08:00:03 AM »
I was just glad that Grogu was basically just window dressing for once.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3618 on: March 31, 2023, 09:03:57 PM »
Yeah, I had a hard time with this episode. Felt like they were trying really hard to tie together disparate elements from the show. Kim’s Convenience guy was in like 5 minute of a previous season, but he somehow knew all about Mando and the Chancellor? The pirates story line seems really silly (especially Captain Chard).

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3619 on: April 01, 2023, 09:49:14 AM »
Yeah, I had a hard time with this episode. Felt like they were trying really hard to tie together disparate elements from the show. Kim’s Convenience guy was in like 5 minute of a previous season, but he somehow knew all about Mando and the Chancellor? The pirates story line seems really silly (especially Captain Chard).

How the towns people got out the town without the pirates noticing from the air, was odd

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3620 on: April 01, 2023, 10:47:25 AM »
Can someone explain to me what the purpose/point of being a Mandalorian is?  At least the way they are at this point in the timeline?

They live in a cave and are more difficult to listen to speak than every hockey player doing an interview.  They have no crops or any way to make a living yet they somehow have weapons and supplies.  They clumsily train all day long to do... what?  They have no ships but do have fuel for their jetpacks but are saying they have to relocate just cuz one single person knows where they are... again, without ships or any way to travel.  And so on.

When they reclaimed the city THAT is what they should be all about.  For-hire mercenaries efficiently and impressively doing shit and getting paid so they can support their way of life.

I just don't get these guys at all.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3621 on: April 01, 2023, 11:53:09 AM »
Can someone explain to me what the purpose/point of being a Mandalorian is?  At least the way they are at this point in the timeline?

They live in a cave and are more difficult to listen to speak than every hockey player doing an interview.  They have no crops or any way to make a living yet they somehow have weapons and supplies.  They clumsily train all day long to do... what?  They have no ships but do have fuel for their jetpacks but are saying they have to relocate just cuz one single person knows where they are... again, without ships or any way to travel.  And so on.

When they reclaimed the city THAT is what they should be all about.  For-hire mercenaries efficiently and impressively doing shit and getting paid so they can support their way of life.

I'll admit that even having watched all the animated stuff, all the movies.....and being 'really into' SW.....I'm not quite sure at this point either. This is my understanding of the whole scenario:

- After the fall of Mandalor the Armorer's little group splintered off and went 'strict old school' with how they thought Mandalorians should live/behave.
- Bo Katan and her crew sauntered around and scraped a living out but weren't as heretical as that group that was hiding on Navarr

Which is where both clans were at when we met them in the story. Looks like there is still a story to tell with Bo Katan and how Gideon ended up with the Dark Saber as she had the Dark Saber last in the animated series and was going to 'lead' the Mandalorians that were left after the fall of Mandalore. So, there's still a portion we aren't hip to.

As far as them appearing to be less than intimidating and a shell of the lore that the Mandalorians were built on.....I can see that....but as has been mentioned in this thread somewhere....they're rebuilding and most of those Mandalorians are probably recent recruits. The lack of supplies looks to be explained by the crates and cargo that is scattered about in a lot of those scenes, ships to get there? Maybe they're hidden...maybe they have a regularly paid transport that brings supplies and what not....or just a few of them are out scouting the galaxy for more recruits and are using the available ships? To me that's not a big issue and easily explained away in one scene if they really needed to.

To me it appears that the show is trying to get the point across that at this point in time...the Mandalorian's are close to going extinct and that they're in dire need of a strong leader, someone to unite them all and it looks like they're setting up Bo Katan for that...OR....it may be Grogu ala Hef's postulation that he tames or uses the Mythosaur to unite everyone.

Either way....I don't see it as clumsy or haphazard as you do.....I think it's 100% intentional to show what disarray the Mandalorians are in overall.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3622 on: April 02, 2023, 01:21:57 PM »
My first thought (could be wrong) is some tribe of Mandalorians went after Moff Gideon because he supposedly has the Darksaber and whoever inadvertenly freed him in doing so had no idea the Darksaber is currently with Din Djarin.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3623 on: April 03, 2023, 07:33:04 AM »
Anyone else been watching The Bad Batch? Caught up on the final 2 episodes of Season 2 over the weekend. Good stuff.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3624 on: April 03, 2023, 07:49:11 AM »
Anyone else been watching The Bad Batch? Caught up on the final 2 episodes of Season 2 over the weekend. Good stuff.

Need to watch the final two episodes but yes, I've been watching. I like the extra content and peek at other stories in that world. Been a fun series.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3625 on: April 03, 2023, 07:55:26 AM »

I'll admit that even having watched all the animated stuff, all the movies.....and being 'really into' SW.....I'm not quite sure at this point either. This is my understanding of the whole scenario:

- After the fall of Mandalor the Armorer's little group splintered off and went 'strict old school' with how they thought Mandalorians should live/behave.
- Bo Katan and her crew sauntered around and scraped a living out but weren't as heretical as that group that was hiding on Navarr

Which is where both clans were at when we met them in the story. Looks like there is still a story to tell with Bo Katan and how Gideon ended up with the Dark Saber as she had the Dark Saber last in the animated series and was going to 'lead' the Mandalorians that were left after the fall of Mandalore. So, there's still a portion we aren't hip to.

As far as them appearing to be less than intimidating and a shell of the lore that the Mandalorians were built on.....I can see that....but as has been mentioned in this thread somewhere....they're rebuilding and most of those Mandalorians are probably recent recruits. The lack of supplies looks to be explained by the crates and cargo that is scattered about in a lot of those scenes, ships to get there? Maybe they're hidden...maybe they have a regularly paid transport that brings supplies and what not....or just a few of them are out scouting the galaxy for more recruits and are using the available ships? To me that's not a big issue and easily explained away in one scene if they really needed to.

To me it appears that the show is trying to get the point across that at this point in time...the Mandalorian's are close to going extinct and that they're in dire need of a strong leader, someone to unite them all and it looks like they're setting up Bo Katan for that...OR....it may be Grogu ala Hef's postulation that he tames or uses the Mythosaur to unite everyone.

Either way....I don't see it as clumsy or haphazard as you do.....I think it's 100% intentional to show what disarray the Mandalorians are in overall.
I don't see any reason to assume that Bo Katan's former group and the Armorer's group are the only surviving Mandalorian groups.  So, what it means to be a Mandalorian could have many different answers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3626 on: April 03, 2023, 08:02:07 AM »

I don't see any reason to assume that Bo Katan's former group and the Armorer's group are the only surviving Mandalorian groups.  So, what it means to be a Mandalorian could have many different answers.

Nor do I....I only mentioned those two due to them being the only ones really featured thus far. I think both Bo Katan and the Armorer know there are others out there. Maybe less organized or MORE organized than they are. And now Bo Katan is tasked with finding as many as she can.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3627 on: April 03, 2023, 08:36:22 AM »
Now you can't unsee it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3628 on: April 03, 2023, 09:05:42 AM »
GTFO

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3629 on: April 03, 2023, 10:08:19 AM »
I have no idea who/what that is, so I guess that's good?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3630 on: April 03, 2023, 10:12:29 AM »

mash up The Mandalorian/The Last of Us

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3631 on: April 03, 2023, 10:34:33 AM »
Now you can't unsee it

Well, shit!

Now I know what I'll be seeing in my nightmares tonight. :lol

Any gamers here? Anyone planning to play Jedi: Survivor? Looks really good imo, and I'll be interested to see where the story goes..

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3632 on: April 03, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »

mash up The Mandalorian/The Last of Us

Thanks.  I've heard a lot about that show (Pascal's other show) but have never seen it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3633 on: April 05, 2023, 07:47:02 AM »
Fun episode again today. Bo Katan's arc has been very strong this season and she's really "The Mandalorian" in this season I feel. Honestly would've been better to just not have Grogu reunite with Djin. This would've been a fine season without him.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: April 05, 2023, 08:47:51 AM »
Honestly would've been better to just not have Grogu reunite with Djin. This would've been a fine season without him.

There is a pretty consistent internet rumor that Kathleen Kennedy and the honcho's at Disney forced Favreau and Filoni to re-introduce Grogu to the series. That their 'vision' was to continue the show without him.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3635 on: April 05, 2023, 09:02:22 AM »
I mean that would be on-brand for Kennedy.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3636 on: April 05, 2023, 09:56:29 AM »
I mean that would be on-brand for Kennedy.

Yeah. She’s the worst thing to ever happen to SW’s

Online faizoff

« Reply #3637 on: April 05, 2023, 12:41:10 PM »
Honestly would've been better to just not have Grogu reunite with Djin. This would've been a fine season without him.

There is a pretty consistent internet rumor that Kathleen Kennedy and the honcho's at Disney forced Favreau and Filoni to re-introduce Grogu to the series. That their 'vision' was to continue the show without him.

I suppose it's their cash cow for merchandising so I sorta get how they have Grogu in the loop. Plus I'd think a big chunk of viewers would want Grogu to be in the show and with Djin which is probably why he's tagging along.

I am curious about next week's episode seeing as Dave Filoni is a co-writer.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3638 on: April 05, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »

I suppose it's their cash cow for merchandising so I sorta get how they have Grogu in the loop. Plus I'd think a big chunk of viewers would want Grogu to be in the show and with Djin which is probably why he's tagging along.

Not that Din Djarin has been in this show enough this season, but by calling the show The Mandalorian and not "The Din Djarin Show", I guess focusing on Bo-Katan isn't technically wrong.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3639 on: April 05, 2023, 01:43:20 PM »

For sure.....that little thing prints money for them.

And I am excited to see the Filoni directed episode as well. I haven't watched this weeks episode yet....but....Filoni directed the episode when Ahsoka was introduced so I'm curious as to if maybe we get to see Sabine Wren prior to her appearance on the 'Ahsoka' series? She is a Mandalorian....her and Bo Katan do have a history.....maybe?