Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 253594 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3570 on: March 24, 2023, 02:33:49 AM »
Was a 'fine' episode. At this point I'm way more interested in the character arc of Bo-Katan than anything. She's been a really good character all along during the animated shows and has just continued to be great in Mando....so, it's interesting to see her story progress.

As far as Mando and Grogu.....I just see it as Disney milking their journey and them just spoon feeding tiny bits by bits. Been pretty cut and paste storyline thus far. And, I'm not overly impressed with the backstory of Grogu being saved....specifically because they used some random/unknown Jedi Kelleran Beq to pull off the feat. Lame IMO. Could have/should have used any of the other handful of Jedi that 'we' had been introduced to in the animated series just to have some sort of cohesion. This random dude is a let down in my eyes.

In late May 2020, Lucasfilm announced that Best would be starring as Jedi Master Kelleran Beq in a game-show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, with a scheduled release date of June 3, 2020.[10][11] It was later reported that Jedi Temple Challenge's release date had been delayed until June 10 as a result of the unrest surrounding George Floyd's murder.[12][13][14] He would later reprise the role in the third season of The Mandalorian, a live-action series set in the Star Wars universe.[15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Best

The same actor was also the voice and motion-capture for Jar-Jar Binks.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kelleran_Beq

-Marc.

Yeah.....I knew he was the Jar Jar guy and about the Jedi Temple Challenge thing.....still makes no sense not to use a Jedi that TCW's had introduced us to. This guy was random....there's no getting around it. And I 'get' it......it doesn't/didn't need to be a Jedi we all 'know/knew'.....the randomness of it all is fine. It's just a 'miss' in my eyes.

Jocasta Nu could have been a good one, Tera Sinube....I mean....they showed his dead body in 'Obi Wan's' series....could have given the backstory there.....I don't know.....I just feel like a miss to me.
Eh, either way they wouldn't be able to please everyone. For each person who would prefer links to previous characters, like you, there's another complaining that they rely too much on reusing previous characters.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3571 on: March 24, 2023, 08:04:50 AM »
The Mandalorians - What a stupid cult.  Let's be all about our clan and "this is the way" but then let's all go find a place to hide so we can take off our helmets and eat.  Let's put a helmet on as a kid and then never take it off for the rest of our lives.  Let's all move slowly and talk even slower and show no emotion or urgency in anything.

I watched the new episode last night and couldn't get rid of the similar thoughts. It just seemed so... stupid, like you say.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed the episode because it felt more like something from the first two seasons.  But it's hard to over look some really odd betrayal of the Mandalorians and I haven't watched any of the animated series.

Everyone gushing over Andor but, same thing, it's so boring and slow.

Ando was slow to start, I almost didn't want to continue, but by episode 3 I was hooked and completely changed my thoughts on the show. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3572 on: March 24, 2023, 08:37:30 AM »
Was a 'fine' episode. At this point I'm way more interested in the character arc of Bo-Katan than anything. She's been a really good character all along during the animated shows and has just continued to be great in Mando....so, it's interesting to see her story progress.

As far as Mando and Grogu.....I just see it as Disney milking their journey and them just spoon feeding tiny bits by bits. Been pretty cut and paste storyline thus far. And, I'm not overly impressed with the backstory of Grogu being saved....specifically because they used some random/unknown Jedi Kelleran Beq to pull off the feat. Lame IMO. Could have/should have used any of the other handful of Jedi that 'we' had been introduced to in the animated series just to have some sort of cohesion. This random dude is a let down in my eyes.

In late May 2020, Lucasfilm announced that Best would be starring as Jedi Master Kelleran Beq in a game-show called Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge, with a scheduled release date of June 3, 2020.[10][11] It was later reported that Jedi Temple Challenge's release date had been delayed until June 10 as a result of the unrest surrounding George Floyd's murder.[12][13][14] He would later reprise the role in the third season of The Mandalorian, a live-action series set in the Star Wars universe.[15]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Best

The same actor was also the voice and motion-capture for Jar-Jar Binks.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kelleran_Beq

-Marc.

Yeah.....I knew he was the Jar Jar guy and about the Jedi Temple Challenge thing.....still makes no sense not to use a Jedi that TCW's had introduced us to. This guy was random....there's no getting around it. And I 'get' it......it doesn't/didn't need to be a Jedi we all 'know/knew'.....the randomness of it all is fine. It's just a 'miss' in my eyes.

Jocasta Nu could have been a good one, Tera Sinube....I mean....they showed his dead body in 'Obi Wan's' series....could have given the backstory there.....I don't know.....I just feel like a miss to me.
Eh, either way they wouldn't be able to please everyone. For each person who would prefer links to previous characters, like you, there's another complaining that they rely too much on reusing previous characters.

Yeah, I get it.....and I am nit picking. I will say that I'm not at all 'displeased' with the show. I'll take any amount of SW content they want to give us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3573 on: March 24, 2023, 09:16:32 AM »
I thought it was a fun episode.  Not sure why all the issues.

Grogu chose to reject being a Jedi so he could go with Din Jarin to become a Mandalorian.  That's what they showed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3574 on: March 24, 2023, 09:28:29 AM »
When Grogu was having his flashback and being rescued by the Jedi on the speeder, I said to Mrs. Orbert "there are guys out there who could tell you the name of the guy on the speeder" because they always tie them in.  All I needed to know at the time was that he was the guy rescuing Grogu.  I was actually surprised and impressed that they didn't shoehorn in a known character, that it was a "redemption arc" for Jar-Jar Binks and I just laughed.  In a good way.  I think it's great.  Not everyone who appears in a flashback or side plot has to be someone we already know from something else.  Do it once in a while, and it's fun.  Do it all the time and it actually makes the Star Wars universe seem smaller, because we keep running into the same people.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3575 on: March 24, 2023, 08:47:32 PM »
The Mandalorians - What a stupid cult.  Let's be all about our clan and "this is the way" but then let's all go find a place to hide so we can take off our helmets and eat.  Let's put a helmet on as a kid and then never take it off for the rest of our lives.  Let's all move slowly and talk even slower and show no emotion or urgency in anything.

I watched the new episode last night and couldn't get rid of the similar thoughts. It just seemed so... stupid, like you say.

Having said that, I actually enjoyed the episode because it felt more like something from the first two seasons.  But it's hard to over look some really odd betrayal of the Mandalorians and I haven't watched any of the animated series.

Everyone gushing over Andor but, same thing, it's so boring and slow.

Ando was slow to start, I almost didn't want to continue, but by episode 3 I was hooked and completely changed my thoughts on the show.

I highly recommend watching the animated shows.  They are how I wish the live shows would be.

Andor, being slow and boring, did get better once he went to prison.  The one thing that stood out for me was just how terrifying and ruthless the Empire was during this time.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3576 on: March 24, 2023, 08:48:42 PM »
I thought it was a fun episode.  Not sure why all the issues.

Grogu chose to reject being a Jedi so he could go with Din Jarin to become a Mandalorian.  That's what they showed.

Agreed, it was fun, if a bit silly plot hole-wise.

Epic butthurt rant:

Mandalorians are useless.  I am beyond disappointed with both Mandalorian live-action shows.

Everything that made them awesome in the animated shows is gone.  Everything I was hoping for, from what's been shown in the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy, with The Mandalorian and Book of Boba hasn't happened and what *has* happened is 99% garbage.

Jango - badass
OG Boba - badass, quiet, but we just knew he was badass
Boba Book - boring AF and completely out of character
Din Djarin - first few episodes he was a badass, now is just boring and lame
Bo Katan (animated) - total badass
Bo Katan (live) - totally lame
Mandalorians (animated) - absolute badasses
Mandalorians (live) - totally useless, boring, and stupid

The Mandalorian

... What's the plan for Grogu?  He's 50 and still a toddler.  He'll be 150 before he's "old enough" and they'll all be dead anyway.  Is he going to wear armor?  That ridiculous chest thing will still take up half his chest once he's fully grown.

... The bird takes the kid and will feed it immediately when it gets back to the nest.  But, let's chase it anyway and then say it always gets away, and since we're stupid we won't at least *try* and do something different to take it out, just let the kid die.  Oh no, we run out of fuel, as usual, and we don't have any ships around?  We don't learn from our mistakes?

... So Bo chases it, finds it's nest, then flies back to slowly and calmly tell the others, no urgency, who slowly and calmly talk about shit.  Then they fly "close" so as not to let it know they're there, then take a Hobbit cross-country journey to the nest, but don't climb it, let's camp out overnight first and eat alone so nobody sees us without our hat.

... Of course, as soon as we get to the nest, it's perfect timing for the mama bird to show up and hork up the happy meal... WHO ISN'T EFFING DEAD AND SHREDDED, not to mention mama was, what, just hanging around before feeding her kids?  So somehow the kid survives in there for a day and a half, and then comes out entirely whole and a-ok?  WTF kind of bad joke is this?

... Let's bring home the 3 baby birds and call them "foundlings" which, presumably, means they're going to train them to be Mandalorians?  Raise them to be mounts or something, that's fair, but to make them Mandalorians?  WTAF?

This still doesn't cover how disappointed I've been with the majority of the live Star Wars shows.  The animated ones (eg. Bad Batch) are what the live shows should be.  Everyone gushing over Andor but, same thing, it's so boring and slow.

But I kind of agree with all of this. My wife always tells me to suspend my disbelief because it’s a show about space magic, but then she said something about the dragon and I just threw it back at her. It’s pretty dumb writing, but still fun.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3577 on: March 24, 2023, 08:53:57 PM »
The Mandalorians really do need to think about constructing some indoor training facilities. Not safe to practice out in the open with the predatory flying dinosaurs and enormous crocodiles around.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3578 on: March 24, 2023, 11:45:44 PM »
This show hasn't changed "the mandalorians". This group is a fanatical sect that seems to be trying to expand by bringing in new converts and foundlings who clearly aren't experienced warriors. It's a very different group to most of those we've seen in the animated shows.

I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3579 on: March 25, 2023, 07:21:57 AM »
This show hasn't changed "the mandalorians". This group is a fanatical sect that seems to be trying to expand by bringing in new converts and foundlings who clearly aren't experienced warriors. It's a very different group to most of those we've seen in the animated shows.

Yep. It's even a different group than we first met that bailed Din out in S1. That group was a much 'tougher' and more experienced group but Gideon wiped a lot of them out.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3580 on: March 25, 2023, 07:58:00 PM »
Just had to say that after watching Mando last night, I got the urge to do something I’ve never done.

Dive head first into The Clone Wars. Only saw the first two episodes last night, but it was far better than I expected. Looking forward to more tonight!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3581 on: March 25, 2023, 08:45:20 PM »
All things being said, there's way too little discussion about how fucking adorable Grogu was with the little wrist dart shooter...

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3582 on: March 25, 2023, 08:58:37 PM »
Just had to say that after watching Mando last night, I got the urge to do something I’ve never done.

Dive head first into The Clone Wars. Only saw the first two episodes last night, but it was far better than I expected. Looking forward to more tonight!

It’s a chore at times but it’s totally worth it. Gives so much more development to Anakin, I’ve said it before and I’ll maintain that TCWs Anakin ‘IS’ the only Anakin…….that prequel move thing Christiansen was torpedo’d with means nothing. Forget it. Anakin in TCWs is very well developed and you witness his slow burn to the dark side.

Same for Kenobi. The character gets flushed out more and is really amazing. And of course, Ahsoka is introduced and by the end of the series (and Rebels) you see why she’s easily one of the most powerful Jedi/Force users that we come across. Makes Rey look like a perpetual Padawan

And the last four episodes of TCWs is some of the best SW material ever.

Don’t skip Rebels either……it’s a quicker watch and really good. And, from what I understand much of the live action Ahsoka series is tied to the ending of Rebels and will feature many characters from it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3583 on: March 25, 2023, 09:18:08 PM »
Thank you!

I married someone a bit older than me, and she has always tended to look down her nose at animated stuff. (…and because we tend to watch stuff together, we end up watching things we will both enjoy) But there have been a few things out there that have slowly won her over to animated stuff not just being “family fare”. So we started on a night she was feeling a bit more open minded (only about TV shows, unfortunately  :hat ) and she actually started digging on the story, so it looks like we’re going to keep binging.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3584 on: March 25, 2023, 09:22:37 PM »
The animation itself advances as the seasons go on.

There are some good storylines, lots of political storylines……then there are some just throw away episodes. I’d say it’s a 80/20 split of important vs filler episodes. Good thing is they’re short in length so….it’s just a chore to get through the series because of the sheer amount of episodes involved.

Have fun!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3585 on: March 25, 2023, 09:58:12 PM »
All things being said, there's way too little discussion about how fucking adorable Grogu was with the little wrist dart shooter...

Adorable and also badass with it.  The other kid got the first two shots in, maybe because he thought you could only shoot once per round or something.  But after Din's pep talk, Grogu just bam! bam! bam! nailed the other guy and won.  I was cheering out loud.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3586 on: March 26, 2023, 10:57:38 AM »

For as important of a franchise Star Wars to me in my youth, I never developed any interest in any of those series, and I don't know why.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3587 on: March 26, 2023, 09:24:33 PM »
But I kind of agree with all of this. My wife always tells me to suspend my disbelief because it’s a show about space magic, but then she said something about the dragon and I just threw it back at her. It’s pretty dumb writing, but still fun.

I'm really great at suspending my disbelief and it takes A LOT for me to finally be like "COME ON, MAN, SERIOUSLY?"

I was also thinking that the way the Mandalorian cult talks and how it's all "this is the way" they should have just let the kid die cuz, you know, "this is the way" and nature selected him for elimination cuz he's weak.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3588 on: March 27, 2023, 04:14:58 AM »
This is The Way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3589 on: March 27, 2023, 09:08:33 AM »

I'm really great at suspending my disbelief and it takes A LOT for me to finally be like "COME ON, MAN, SERIOUSLY?"

I was also thinking that the way the Mandalorian cult talks and how it's all "this is the way" they should have just let the kid die cuz, you know, "this is the way" and nature selected him for elimination cuz he's weak.
I'm really hoping that Bo unites the clans my riding the mythosaur and convinces everyone that the super stick "way" of doing things is not necessary. I agree that the cultish way is a little stupid. I think it will either be Bo convincing them to renounce the old ways, or Bo joining them in the old ways. not sure which direction it's going.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3590 on: March 27, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »

I'm really hoping that Bo unites the clans my riding the mythosaur and convinces everyone that the super stick "way" of doing things is not necessary. I agree that the cultish way is a little stupid. I think it will either be Bo convincing them to renounce the old ways, or Bo joining them in the old ways. not sure which direction it's going.

My theory is that Grogu will be anatomically incapable of wearing a helmet, so he’ll force them to make an exception and once you let one guy not wear a helmet, it will seem silly for everyone else to wear one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3591 on: March 27, 2023, 11:22:50 AM »
Grogu will wind up "taming" the mythosaur with the Force, and become Lord of all Mandalore.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3592 on: March 27, 2023, 11:46:40 AM »
Grogu will wind up "taming" the mythosaur with the Force, and become Lord of all Mandalore.

There are several articles out there showing screen captures and what not of the Mythosaur's shadow with the light source from below casting what is a perfect silhouette of Grogu's head....I guess with the tusks and what not it makes sense.

Clearly, Grogu is important and will factor in to all this....he HAS to really.....just as long as they continue to find ways for Bo Katan to remove her helmet  :heart

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3593 on: March 27, 2023, 12:27:14 PM »
There is, but they've also been allies. Pre Vizsla was leader of the Death Watch which Bo-Katan was part of - they were basically a terrorist group that disagreed with Mandalore's pacifist government (led by Bo-Katan's sister). They went... rather off the rails, let's say, Pre Vizsla worked with Darth Maul to overthrow the Mandalorian government, tried to betray him and ended up getting killed. Bo-Katan left the group and did her own thing instead, and eventually (after the Empire came and took over) Clan Vizsla was one of those that rallied behind her.

I assume Pre Vizsla got their start at a computer FX house.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3594 on: March 28, 2023, 02:43:31 AM »

"This is the way" isn't the same as "What will be will be". The Way is about following the creed, which presumably involves looking out for foundlings.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3595 on: March 28, 2023, 03:35:36 PM »
Yeah, it's "This is the way of the Mandalore". And "Foundlings are the Future" is a theme that has come up multiple times.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3596 on: March 28, 2023, 03:35:55 PM »

This is the way.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3597 on: March 28, 2023, 06:31:54 PM »
Well, I think I'll definitely be crapping my pants when this Kenobi fan edit comes out soon:

Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw1NMgSHAFA

Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1qBIPsW9Q

Comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFS760Vkk8

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3598 on: March 28, 2023, 06:37:15 PM »
Saw that. And I saw  that he is more than a ‘fan’…..he actually has worked on a ton of Lucas Film movies.

Looks awesome

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3599 on: March 29, 2023, 10:11:56 AM »
Today's episode was quite a riveting one! Halfway through the season and now the pieces are starting to fall in place and the overarching plot is beginning to become clear. Really liked this episode!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3600 on: March 29, 2023, 02:08:27 PM »
Zeb!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3601 on: March 29, 2023, 08:15:50 PM »
I enjoyed it a lot as well. One of the better episodes this season.

I will say that I am noticing the limitations of the Volume and they way most of this show is shot. Andor was largely shot on location and with larger sets. It felt more real. This show often feels small and I think that's due to the fact that they only have a few hundred square feet to work with much of the time. I can't really explain it, but it's a noticeable difference. I didn't really notice it the first two seasons, but I am now. Oddly as the technology is getting better. Am I crazy or does anyone notice it too?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3602 on: March 29, 2023, 08:59:44 PM »
Zeb!

Yes! That had to be him!

Liked the episode a lot also.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3603 on: March 29, 2023, 11:07:58 PM »
As I’m going through The Clone Wars. It’s becoming FAR more difficult to explain Darth Vader’s complete non-recognition of R2 in the OT.  The idea that Obi-Wan is feigning ignorance in the OT is somewhat plausible. But Vader’s ignorance is baffling.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3604 on: March 30, 2023, 04:37:33 AM »
Zeb!

Yes! That had to be him!
It was indeed, says so in the credits (and voiced again by Steve Blum). I guess we'll probably be seeing him in the Ahsoka series if that's somewhat a continuation from Rebels.

I be am boner inducing.