Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 253451 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3500 on: March 06, 2023, 09:20:29 PM »
Am I the only one who remembers the helmet code in the first season being that he couldn’t remove his helmet in front of another person (or maybe a non Mandalorian), not that he can never ever remove his helmet (which is absurd and impractical)? There was a scene where he needed medical attention and the droid dude took his helmet off, but the idea was it was ok because the droid wasn’t a “person.” I know he also took his helmet off for Grogu, but since BoBF the blacksmith lady has just been saying “have you ever removed your helmet,” and then in the opening scene of Season 3 the kid is supposed to swear never to remove his helmet period (but doesn’t get a chance to before dinocrock shows up).

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: March 07, 2023, 08:13:25 AM »
I think the rule has always been stated to be "never remove your helmet", but we learned from previous interactions that it really means "never remove your helmet in the presence of others". 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3502 on: March 07, 2023, 09:22:44 AM »
I think the rule has always been stated to be "never remove your helmet", but we learned from previous interactions that it really means "never remove your helmet in the presence of others". 
I always felt the "in the presence of others" was implied. Clearly they need to eat, drink, shave, cut hair, bathe, etc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3503 on: March 07, 2023, 11:28:45 AM »
It’s just such a ridonkulous code. What if your helmet breaks? What if you grow out of your helmet? What if someone forcibly removes it?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3504 on: March 07, 2023, 11:57:12 AM »
It’s just such a ridonkulous code. What if your helmet breaks? What if you grow out of your helmet? What if someone forcibly removes it?

Then you don't deserve to be a Mandolorian!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #3505 on: March 07, 2023, 12:17:52 PM »

This is the way.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3506 on: March 07, 2023, 12:47:47 PM »

This is the way.

This is the way.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3507 on: March 07, 2023, 01:14:27 PM »

This is the way.

This is the way.

-Marcolorian

Fix'd
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online faizoff

« Reply #3508 on: March 07, 2023, 05:48:27 PM »
Speculation abound that the Kevin Fiege and Patty Jenkins Star Wars movies are to be scrapped. Don't know what slate of movies are actually planned and set for release. They seemed to have announced a bunch of shows and movies and now they all seems to be in limbo.

Meanwhile, Variety has learned that a possible “Star Wars” feature produced by Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige is also no longer in active development at Lucasfilm.
In December 2020, Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy announced that “Wonder Woman” helmer Patty Jenkins would direct the next “Star Wars” movie, the one-off adventure “Rogue Squadron.” But in September 2022, Disney pulled the title from its scheduled December 2023 release, and sources with knowledge of the production say it is no longer in active development at the studio

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3509 on: March 08, 2023, 06:36:59 AM »
The news about the Jenkins film doesn't surprise me.

The news about the Feige film doesn't surprise me all that much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3510 on: March 08, 2023, 06:43:47 AM »
I'm not surprised either. And frankly I hope they don't announce projects in the future until they are a little farther along, like having a script in place at a minimum.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3511 on: March 08, 2023, 07:28:35 AM »
So Mando episode 2 was much better and intriguing, minor nitpicks aside with regards to the action the whole episode was fun.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3512 on: March 08, 2023, 07:40:25 AM »

Yep. Honestly, while I don't want them to use some scrub off the streets I'd prefer them to go with some 'lesser' known talent that has been producing good stuff. Honestly, with how good 'Andor' and 'R1' was/is I'd ask Tony Gilroy to at minimum write me a movie or trilogy or whatever....then convince/pay him to direct it. Let him helm tell an 'old republic' story. You could have all the good bits....political theater, subterfuge.....sith/jedi. Or get someone like Michael Mann, Denis Villeneuve....maybe entice Christopher Nolan? Point is....Disney has the money to motivate any director/writer out there to undertake the challenge. They need to buck up AND turn over the reigns to a fresh take creatively and turn the page on doing things the 'safe' way and craft a new future for the SW world.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3513 on: March 08, 2023, 08:16:44 AM »
So Mando episode 2 was much better and intriguing, minor nitpicks aside with regards to the action the whole episode was fun.

Agreed, I enjoyed this quite a bit more. It was much more focused and had some great world-building in it. I didn't expect to see Bo-Katan again so soon but I welcome their return! Also, a few fun Grogu moments as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3514 on: March 08, 2023, 08:17:59 AM »

Yep. Honestly, while I don't want them to use some scrub off the streets I'd prefer them to go with some 'lesser' known talent that has been producing good stuff. Honestly, with how good 'Andor' and 'R1' was/is I'd ask Tony Gilroy to at minimum write me a movie or trilogy or whatever....then convince/pay him to direct it. Let him helm tell an 'old republic' story. You could have all the good bits....political theater, subterfuge.....sith/jedi. Or get someone like Michael Mann, Denis Villeneuve....maybe entice Christopher Nolan? Point is....Disney has the money to motivate any director/writer out there to undertake the challenge. They need to buck up AND turn over the reigns to a fresh take creatively and turn the page on doing things the 'safe' way and craft a new future for the SW world.
I think Lucasfilm should have a book of rules for the Star Wars universe (Jedi have certain powers, Yoda's species and home world cannot be explored, Anakin hates sand, etc) and changing those rules would need approval by Lucasfilm brass. But otherwise they should give free reign to writers/directors to tell the story they want to tell. Particularly when it only involves new characters.

I'm with you on Tony Gilroy. He clearly "gets" Star Wars.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3515 on: March 08, 2023, 08:21:35 AM »

Agreed about Tony Gilroy, his work on the Star Wars universe has been my favorite in the Disney owned era. I don't mind the JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson movies and of course, Mando has been great with Favreau and Filoni but they've had some inconsistencies whereas Gilroy has nailed it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3516 on: March 08, 2023, 08:46:30 PM »
That was great!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3517 on: March 09, 2023, 05:17:45 AM »
Better than episode 1.  But I found it rather repetitive with random bad guys being random.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3518 on: March 09, 2023, 07:52:08 AM »
I dug the episode a lot.....but primarily because Bo Katan is a favorite of mine (as well as Katie Sackoff) so I'll take as much of that character as I can. While we know that Din can handle himself and is a skilled fighter/warrior I liked how this episode subtly showed that Bo Katan is just as skilled, and IMO actually demonstrated that she's even a more skilled warrior than Din. I liked the contrast in ability to wield the Dark Saber as well. Din is clunky and haphazard while when Bo Katan used it she looked 'jedi' like with it. Clearly more suited to use it as she has the history with it and confidence to use it.

with random bad guys being random.

Ehh.....that wasn't an issue at all. They're cave dwelling creatures that use ambush techniques to hunt. Not really all that random at all. I think they used those two conflicts well to show the difference in how Din and Bo Katan handled them. Both were victorious but one had a much easier time defeating them.

Anyway....really liked the episode and liked the Mythosaur reveal at the end also. Looks like they'll use that to alter Bo Katan's approach and thought process moving forward.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3519 on: March 10, 2023, 08:22:58 PM »
Really enjoyed episode 2, even if it’s a bit of a tried and true Mando episode (visit some new planet, explore some dark dangerous place, run into some spiders or a large monster or both, wiggle out of a dangerous situation with some luck and Jedi-ness, etc.). But that’s what I watch this for. It was a good time.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3520 on: March 11, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »
Sounds about right.  It was a bit by-the-numbers, but it was fun.  Plus we learned some new stuff, saw some new things.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3521 on: March 11, 2023, 09:09:17 PM »
Do we think Bo Karan and blacksmith lady are related somehow? Katan said her family used to rule Mandelor. I wonder how blacksmith lady came to be in charge.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3522 on: March 12, 2023, 08:24:49 AM »
Do we think Bo Karan and blacksmith lady are related somehow? Katan said her family used to rule Mandelor. I wonder how blacksmith lady came to be in charge.
Blacksmith lady isn't in charge. She may be the leader of her clan, but not all of Mandalore.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3523 on: March 12, 2023, 09:01:04 AM »
Blacksmith lady isn't in charge. She may be the leader of her clan, but not all of Mandalore.

Yeah…..the Armorer is just the leader of ‘that’ particular little sect and is recruiting. I believe that Bo Karan mentioned they splintered off from the Death Watch?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3524 on: March 12, 2023, 03:29:37 PM »

Yeah…..the Armorer is just the leader of ‘that’ particular little sect and is recruiting. I believe that Bo Karan mentioned they splintered off from the Death Watch?

Seeing "Bo Karan" makes me think she wants to go to the Empire and ask to see their Manager.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3525 on: March 12, 2023, 04:00:05 PM »

Seeing "Bo Karan" makes me think she wants to go to the Empire and ask to see their Manager.

-Marc.

LOL, blaming auto correct, but she is sort of a Karen.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3526 on: March 13, 2023, 10:08:13 AM »
I've been watching through all the Star Wars movies with my son, in order of release. We just watched Revenge of the Sith yesterday. While clearly the best movie of the prequel trilogy, I am kind of annoyed that the main reason Anakin turned to the dark side was obsessive love for Padme. I wish it were more about how the Jedi order and code was failing the galaxy. The reasons why Dukuu turned, which I thought were actually quite relatable. I think the way Palpatine played Anakin to think the Jedi were taking over was good and could have been expanded on. Some more time between Anakin stopping Windu's attack and his attack on the Jedi temple would have made sense too. I feel like that would have needed more time to poison Anakin's thoughts, or maybe a little more set-up going into it. Too much dumb CGI in the final Anakin/Obi-Wan battle as well. Just fight on some rocks near lava.

Just a little frustrating, because it is a good movie, but it could have been a great movie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3527 on: March 13, 2023, 10:11:49 AM »
I've been watching through all the Star Wars movies with my son, in order of release. We just watched Revenge of the Sith yesterday. While clearly the best movie of the prequel trilogy, I am kind of annoyed that the main reason Anakin turned to the dark side was obsessive love for Padme. I wish it were more about how the Jedi order and code was failing the galaxy. The reasons why Dukuu turned, which I thought were actually quite relatable. I think the way Palpatine played Anakin to think the Jedi were taking over was good and could have been expanded on. Some more time between Anakin stopping Windu's attack and his attack on the Jedi temple would have made sense too. I feel like that would have needed more time to poison Anakin's thoughts, or maybe a little more set-up going into it. Too much dumb CGI in the final Anakin/Obi-Wan battle as well. Just fight on some rocks near lava.

Just a little frustrating, because it is a good movie, but it could have been a great movie.

The Clone Wars animated series goes way more in to Anakins turn to the dark side. It very much aligns with Dooki’s turn and is more involved than his love for Padme. While it’s a chore and 20% of the episodes are ‘throw always’……TCW’s and ‘Rebels’ my opinion are ‘must watch’ series to fully appreciate the SW universe….especially when it comes to Anakin.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3528 on: March 13, 2023, 01:34:17 PM »

The Clone Wars animated series goes way more in to Anakins turn to the dark side. It very much aligns with Dooki’s turn and is more involved than his love for Padme. While it’s a chore and 20% of the episodes are ‘throw always’……TCW’s and ‘Rebels’ my opinion are ‘must watch’ series to fully appreciate the SW universe….especially when it comes to Anakin.
I've watched all the animated stuff. Though with varying degrees on attention being paid to it. But given that 90% of people watching the movies won't be watching the animated series, and since most if not all of it came out after ROTS, I think that doesn't really excuse the movie falling short. The movie would have been better if it had delved into that stuff more, IMO. But it is nice that those stories have been expanded.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3529 on: March 13, 2023, 01:41:25 PM »

I've watched all the animated stuff. Though with varying degrees on attention being paid to it. But given that 90% of people watching the movies won't be watching the animated series, and since most if not all of it came out after ROTS, I think that doesn't really excuse the movie falling short. The movie would have been better if it had delved into that stuff more, IMO. But it is nice that those stories have been expanded.

Agreed. The movies were atrocious and lackluster in the effort to show Anakins descent into darkness. Pretty lazy and lame. I appreciated the expansion of his story and the slow burn of his eventual turn to the dark side in TCW’s. I ‘get’ that a certain contingent of SW fan won’t invest the time into watching the couple animated series out there that fill in the gaps and add so much more depth and context to the story…..but….it’s a more complete and interesting story when you watch it all. So, for me…..if you proclaim yourself to be a huge SW fan (not you specifically…..the proverbial ‘you’) then not only would I assume you’ve watched all the content available in the SW universe….I’d expect it from anyone who would be critical of the SW universe

Online faizoff

« Reply #3530 on: March 15, 2023, 10:27:37 AM »
Episode 3 had a very Andor vibe to it. Bulk of the episode was that in fact. I liked it though in my head I don't know if this is a typical Mandalorian episode. I did enjoy the beginning fighter chase, wished we got more info on the reason behind the appearance of the Tie fighters.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3531 on: March 15, 2023, 08:05:38 PM »
Episode 3 had a very Andor vibe to it. Bulk of the episode was that in fact. I liked it though in my head I don't know if this is a typical Mandalorian episode. I did enjoy the beginning fighter chase, wished we got more info on the reason behind the appearance of the Tie fighters.

Didn't Bo-Katan say it was because she stole her ship from an Imperial Warlord? I would guess they finally tracked the ship down and wanted revenge.

This episode was not at all what I expected, and I liked that. It definitely looked like they reused some sets from the Andor filming, notably the Amnesty Housing and the office area/cubicles. I *love* getting to see more of Coruscant and seeing the highest mountain be just a tiny monument really puts into perspective just how big the city-planet really is!

I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole Pershing/Kane story until the very end with the twist, and then I got super intrigued. Like, what's her real deal, and will Pershing be okay? I'm curious to see how their stories end up tying into what Din is going through, if at all.

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3532 on: March 15, 2023, 08:20:42 PM »
I nearly fell asleep during the Coruscant segment. I assume there will be a point.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3533 on: March 15, 2023, 09:10:06 PM »

Didn't Bo-Katan say it was because she stole her ship from an Imperial Warlord? I would guess they finally tracked the ship down and wanted revenge.

You are correct, I missed that part when I first watched it. Saw it again with my wife and picked up on it. On second watch I really dug the aesthetics of the sets. I too am curious how it all ties in together. But so far season 3 has been really all over the place with the tone and story.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: March 15, 2023, 09:36:33 PM »
I dig the episode….I’m assuming that Chic officer is still working for/with Moff Gideon and they’re either going scorched earth in the folks who knew him or getting revenge somehow on them?

And, I’m going to be pissed if they hide Katie Sackoffs pretty face the rest of the season  >:(