Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248192 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3290 on: June 10, 2022, 01:00:38 PM »
I really, reaally wish that Star Wars just made new stories. New characters, new planets, new timeline or a different point in the timeline. 

While it will fall within a timeline that we've seen....this is why I'm excited about the Ahsoka series. Really no ties to any of it....only 'loose' ties that can easily be maneuvered through. And, the host of characters from Rebels that are rumored and confirmed to be in the show are really neat characters.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Deathless

« Reply #3291 on: June 10, 2022, 01:45:39 PM »
I really, reaally wish that Star Wars just made new stories. New characters, new planets, new timeline or a different point in the timeline. 

While it will fall within a timeline that we've seen....this is why I'm excited about the Ahsoka series. Really no ties to any of it....only 'loose' ties that can easily be maneuvered through. And, the host of characters from Rebels that are rumored and confirmed to be in the show are really neat characters.

Are they still moving forward with the Old Republic movie/series? I thought i had seen that but didn't see any updates. Obviously if they follow the games (KOTOR 1/2) there are characters to be based off of but not quite main canon as they've been working in recently.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3292 on: June 11, 2022, 04:40:13 AM »
Also, I feel like Vader is kind of continually duped by her. She's done nothing right, but he keeps giving her second chances.

I've read that one of the changes to the season was keeping her alive. That originally after she fails Vader (maybe not in that scene but by end of season).....he violently killed her....

I actually think that would have been a great twist in the most recent episode. Vader unceremoniously kills Reva for her failure and takes over as the main bad guy for the rest of the series.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3293 on: June 13, 2022, 08:29:16 AM »
I really, reaally wish that Star Wars just made new stories. New characters, new planets, new timeline or a different point in the timeline. Disney tried and most of it was bad. And I feel trying to fit into this mess of a canon holds everyone back. I don't want another goddamn prequel (to a prequel), midquel or fanservice series. No sand planet for at least a decade too. 

Of all the post-Disney Star Wars, I actually think that Jedi Fallen Order (the video game) has the most potential for telling a new, interesting story arc. It mostly avoided fan service until right at the end. I'm really curious to see where that goes next.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: June 13, 2022, 08:57:59 AM »
Also, I feel like Vader is kind of continually duped by her. She's done nothing right, but he keeps giving her second chances.

I've read that one of the changes to the season was keeping her alive. That originally after she fails Vader (maybe not in that scene but by end of season).....he violently killed her....

I actually think that would have been a great twist in the most recent episode. Vader unceremoniously kills Reva for her failure and takes over as the main bad guy for the rest of the series.

100% agree

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3295 on: June 13, 2022, 09:18:47 AM »
I really, reaally wish that Star Wars just made new stories. New characters, new planets, new timeline or a different point in the timeline. Disney tried and most of it was bad. And I feel trying to fit into this mess of a canon holds everyone back. I don't want another goddamn prequel (to a prequel), midquel or fanservice series. No sand planet for at least a decade too.
Same.

So, nothing whatsoever like ErHaO described?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: June 13, 2022, 09:38:29 AM »

I'm just speculating at this point obviously....but....from what I've read online and the characters they are casting.....the fact that Ahsoka was pretty intent on wanting to know where General Thrawn was in her episode in the Mandalorian....I'd say it's a safe bet that we're just getting a continuation/sequel/next season of 'Rebels'. Which would be great considering how fun that show was.

I'd think that given where it falls within the timeline and what we've seen....it'd give Disney the option to cameo Luke again if they want to keep diving back into that well....but, with them already casting Sabine, and had calls out for characters resembling Ezra and Thrawn....I'm guessing this will be a 'new' story with those characters so it'd be loosely tied to the original cannon stuff but not as bound like the Kenobi series.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3297 on: June 13, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »

I'm just speculating at this point obviously....but....from what I've read online and the characters they are casting.....the fact that Ahsoka was pretty intent on wanting to know where General Thrawn was in her episode in the Mandalorian....I'd say it's a safe bet that we're just getting a continuation/sequel/next season of 'Rebels'. Which would be great considering how fun that show was.

I'd think that given where it falls within the timeline and what we've seen....it'd give Disney the option to cameo Luke again if they want to keep diving back into that well....but, with them already casting Sabine, and had calls out for characters resembling Ezra and Thrawn....I'm guessing this will be a 'new' story with those characters so it'd be loosely tied to the original cannon stuff but not as bound like the Kenobi series.
But it's still set in the past.  Using characters we know.

That's what I am tired of.  show me what happens NEXT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3298 on: June 13, 2022, 11:41:34 AM »
Yeah I also want to see new things. It feels a bit like Star Wars used to be a band I loved that stopped putting out new music and instead every few years you get a 'old classics reinterpreted' or 're-recorded' or whatever and it's just kinda milking what's already there.

As bad as the prequels were, old Georgie had more interesting ideas in those than anything I've seen from Disney in any of their content since purchasing Star Wars. Maybe having someone with his weird ideas but other people to 'reign' that in could have been the best outcome. But overall I just want something entirely different. Why can't we have a set of movies set thousands of years in the past or in the future separate from the things we know - set on new planets? I know the answer is "then we can't shove in Darth Vader or Yoda or any Skywalkers for fan service" but I feel like a lot of fans would be on board even if you didn't have legacy characters.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: June 13, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »

But it's still set in the past.  Using characters we know.

That's what I am tired of.  show me what happens NEXT.

Gotcha.....and, I'm on board with that as well.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3300 on: June 13, 2022, 11:47:47 AM »
I know the answer is "then we can't shove in Darth Vader or Yoda or any Skywalkers for fan service" but I feel like a lot of fans would be on board even if you didn't have legacy characters.

I never read any of the zillion book series that have been written about SW's but I know enough to know that there are countless cool characters and stories out there that could be had. There are Sith Lords that  have existed prior to Vader and Maul that make them look like the kindest souls in the galaxy. Gimme some R rated crap of THOSE stories and characters

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3301 on: June 13, 2022, 01:55:15 PM »
But those stories have already been told.

I yearn for something new.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3302 on: June 13, 2022, 08:43:08 PM »
I am only a couple episodes in and thus been avoiding this thread, but wanted to ask a question: How is this, if it is at all, informing how you view Obi-Wan's character in Eps 1-3, and 4-6? The original trilogy was the defining franchise of my youth. I have such fond memories of all the Star Wars games, toys, and such I grew up with, and the films have such an imprint on my psyche. For different reasons that are harder to explain, Eps 1-3 do as well. And naturally Eps 4-6 inform how I view Eps 1-3, and vice versa. I don't want a subpar experience with this show to negatively inform how I feel about with such a prominent character from those memories of Eps 1-6. Am I overthinking it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3303 on: June 13, 2022, 09:52:20 PM »
I am only a couple episodes in and thus been avoiding this thread, but wanted to ask a question: How is this, if it is at all, informing how you view Obi-Wan's character in Eps 1-3, and 4-6? The original trilogy was the defining franchise of my youth. I have such fond memories of all the Star Wars games, toys, and such I grew up with, and the films have such an imprint on my psyche. For different reasons that are harder to explain, Eps 1-3 do as well. And naturally Eps 4-6 inform how I view Eps 1-3, and vice versa. I don't want a subpar experience with this show to negatively inform how I feel about with such a prominent character from those memories of Eps 1-6. Am I overthinking it?

With Obi Wan and Anakin…..IMO you can’t get a true appreciation for their characters and their relationship to each other without watching The Clone Wars animated show. They’re so much more explored and developed over that show that I don’t even consider Anakin from the live action movies as Anakin. Anakin for me IS the character from Clone Wars and it was so well done.

Same with Kenobi. McGregor does a great job as Kenobi but the animated series Kenobi is so much more developed and interesting. This Kenobi show hasn’t affected how I view him at all.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3304 on: June 13, 2022, 09:55:05 PM »
Curious. I have not watched any of the animated series. Appreciate the insight I never would have considered.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: June 14, 2022, 07:17:09 AM »
Curious. I have not watched any of the animated series. Appreciate the insight I never would have considered.

I'm sure you've seen the conversation in this thread before.....but the sheer amount of episodes in The Clone Wars makes it quite the task to watch. Even thought they're only 22 minute episodes there's quite a few of them....and early on in the series it's kind of hit and miss with how entertaining the episodes are. I think if you're a SW guy that it's ultimately worth it....but, it's an undertaking for sure.

I'm actually thinking about a re-watch of the whole series.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3307 on: June 15, 2022, 04:56:55 AM »
I really enjoyed episode 5. That was great.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: June 15, 2022, 07:38:16 AM »
I really enjoyed episode 5. That was great.

Dang it.....at work all day and see this.....I want to watch it now!!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: June 15, 2022, 11:56:49 AM »
I yearn for something new.

Here ya go Hef......

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/taika-waititi-expand-star-wars-170018131.html
GOOD

This was the best quote:

“Look, I think for the ‘Star Wars’ universe to expand, it has to expand,” Waititi told Total Film about his yet-to-be-titled movie. “I don’t think that I’m any use in the ‘Star Wars’ universe making a film where everyone’s like, ‘Oh great, well that’s the blueprints to the Millennium Falcon, ah that’s Chewbacca’s grandmother.'”

:lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3311 on: June 15, 2022, 03:26:45 PM »
Yeah I also want to see new things. It feels a bit like Star Wars used to be a band I loved that stopped putting out new music and instead every few years you get a 'old classics reinterpreted' or 're-recorded' or whatever and it's just kinda milking what's already there.

As bad as the prequels were, old Georgie had more interesting ideas in those than anything I've seen from Disney in any of their content since purchasing Star Wars. Maybe having someone with his weird ideas but other people to 'reign' that in could have been the best outcome. But overall I just want something entirely different. Why can't we have a set of movies set thousands of years in the past or in the future separate from the things we know - set on new planets? I know the answer is "then we can't shove in Darth Vader or Yoda or any Skywalkers for fan service" but I feel like a lot of fans would be on board even if you didn't have legacy characters.
While I understand what you're getting at and would also prefer some new stories and new ideas, I don't think they're in an easy position. I agree with you that while the prequels were flawed, they have some good and different ideas. They did not go down well at all. For the sequels, TFA was by far the most popular, and also by far the closest to rehashing the original. TLJ tried doing something new and some fans hate it.

While there might be grumbling about things getting a bit repetitive and samey, generally speaking the response has been on average more positive when they've played it safer.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3312 on: June 15, 2022, 03:46:15 PM »
This penultimate episode was pretty good. I'd say about as good as any other episode this season so far, though seeing those flashbacks was quite interesting, and helped to fill out the story a bit more. Seeing as how the episode ended, it seems pretty predictable what the final episode will entail as we finally head back to the center of the galaxy, Tatooine. I didn't think we'd go back there but it seems like that may be the case for the finale.

Has it been said if there could be a second season? After today's episode, I wonder how many fans (especially those of the Prequel Trilogy) will want to see more Hayden in future projects? Seems like there's a lot of positive fan response to his appearance in this episode, so I wonder if that will increase the amount of screentime he might have in Ahsoka, or perhaps in a second season of Obi-Wan?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3313 on: June 15, 2022, 05:58:38 PM »
Ok...now that was some proper Star Wars style entertainment, definitely a step up for the series. It's amazing that an episode like this and that stupid forest chase scene came out of the same creative hive mind.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3314 on: June 15, 2022, 06:13:40 PM »
It's amazing that an episode like this and that stupid forest chase scene came out of the same creative hive mind.
I know, right?

So Reva could really be a pretty interesting character to explore the history of. Youngling who escaped Order 66, grows up with an intense hatred of Anakin Skywalker, and works her way into his inner circle in order to assassinate him. On paper that sounds pretty cool. It's too bad she's really come off as a mediocre character. Not sure if that's due to mediocre writing, mediocre acting, or both. I can kind of see Lucasfilm creating a spin off series for her just to stick it to the racist assholes. The potential for something cool is there. She should have died a brutal death in episode 5 though. I don't see what role she has to play in the finale that adds anything significant.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: June 15, 2022, 06:20:19 PM »
Ok...now that was some proper Star Wars style entertainment, definitely a step up for the series. It's amazing that an episode like this and that stupid forest chase scene came out of the same creative hive mind.

Yeah….no kidding. Great episode and use of the flashback to tie into what was going on. Just in that few minutes of screen time the flashback characters seemed more developed…..very ‘clone wars cartoon’ like.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: June 15, 2022, 06:24:02 PM »
Loved the schooling Vader gave the Third Sister as well. That was good stuff.

I’m assuming that was the scene that was rewritten from her being brutally killed to him leaving her alive? If there was an issue with the episode it’s that I find it hard to believe he’d have left her alive after all of that but still a great episode.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3317 on: June 15, 2022, 06:40:17 PM »
Yeah, totally would have been in character for Vader to decapitate her when he had a saber in each hand.

And I thought I saw that they were doing a solo show for her, or maybe that was a good troll effort.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: June 15, 2022, 07:14:20 PM »
And somewhere Qui Gon is pissed off that all these Sith/dark side users are surviving light sabers being thrust through their bodies and he had to die  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3319 on: June 15, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »
Yeah, totally would have been in character for Vader to decapitate her when he had a saber in each hand.

And I thought I saw that they were doing a solo show for her, or maybe that was a good troll effort.

That's what I thought was going to happen. It would've been a great callback to ROTS.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3320 on: June 15, 2022, 07:50:13 PM »
And somewhere Qui Gon is pissed off that all these Sith/dark side users are surviving light sabers being thrust through their bodies and he had to die  :lol

:lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3321 on: June 15, 2022, 07:58:29 PM »

That's what I thought was going to happen. It would've been a great callback to ROTS.
It really should have happened. I think leaving her alive was a mistake. I guess we'll  see if she still has a role to.play in the finale. Or season 2, which is apparently on the table now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3322 on: June 15, 2022, 08:09:46 PM »

It really should have happened. I think leaving her alive was a mistake. I guess we'll  see if she still has a role to.play in the finale. Or season 2, which is apparently on the table now.

From what I’ve read that’s what originally happened and it was part of the reshoots when it was deemed the show was too dark. It fit the story to have had it happen…..not that it’s cheapened at all but we all know there’s no way Vader leaves her alive in that moment.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3323 on: June 15, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »
A much better episode but still some very poor writing moments that just take me out of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3324 on: June 16, 2022, 02:25:23 AM »
A much better episode but still some very poor writing moments that just take me out of it.

Like the scene where Obi and Reva talking about killing Vader right in earshot of a platoon of Stormtroopers  ;D.  Yeah better episode, but it was basically the finale of The Last Jedi on a smaller scale, and the de-aged graphics of Anakin vs Obi looked like a Xbox 1 vs 1 beat em up.