Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 251337 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3220 on: June 07, 2022, 08:32:55 AM »
My only wish for Mando is that they left Luke out of it. Otherwise I agree the amount of fan service was about right.

Nah....it makes perfect sense for the story. He's the most powerful Jedi alive at that time and would have been the one to answer 'the call' from Grogu. I think it fits beautifully and his entrance into the show might be the top SW moment of all time. I get chills every time I watch it....from the soundtrack to the action to the suspense of "is it Luke" even though you know it's him the whole time....so well done and perfect for the story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3221 on: June 07, 2022, 08:50:49 AM »
Yeah, I can get on board with that. Ahsoka was necessary to promote her series. Boba..same reasons, though I'm more grateful it gave a way to bring in Fennec (sigh....)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3222 on: June 07, 2022, 08:55:31 AM »
My only wish for Mando is that they left Luke out of it. Otherwise I agree the amount of fan service was about right.

Nah....it makes perfect sense for the story. He's the most powerful Jedi alive at that time and would have been the one to answer 'the call' from Grogu. I think it fits beautifully and his entrance into the show might be the top SW moment of all time. I get chills every time I watch it....from the soundtrack to the action to the suspense of "is it Luke" even though you know it's him the whole time....so well done and perfect for the story.
It does make sense for the story. And having Luke show up at the end of Season 2 was one of the best Star Wars moments ever. So maybe I take back my statement. I just hope he doesn't show up too often.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: June 07, 2022, 08:57:36 AM »
Ahsoka was necessary to promote her series.

She made sense as well appearing just given the timeline and 'where' her character is/was at as far as storyline.

I'm hopeful that with the less restrictive backstory and 'lore' that her character and the characters from Rebels that have been confirmed to be in the series and rumored to be in there that we see some good storytelling. I'm hopeful that with Filoni essentially writing this show we will get some of the best SW's content and I'm trying to curb my expectations so I won't be disappointed if the show doesn't live up to them. Rebels IMO was really well done and I hope that momentum continues with Ahsoka's series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3224 on: June 07, 2022, 08:59:26 AM »
It does make sense for the story. And having Luke show up at the end of Season 2 was one of the best Star Wars moments ever. So maybe I take back my statement. I just hope he doesn't show up too often.

Exactly. You can't get into a habit of using Luke just to use him. We got the follow up to him taking Grogu to train him and that essentially resolved itself....I hope they don't continue to sprinkle him in just to sprinkle him in. I'm good with it if it fits the story....which, it has up to this point....but....don't overdo it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: June 07, 2022, 11:05:31 AM »
I thought the recent Obi episode was solid, much better than the first 2.  Hopefully the back half of the series keeps the momentum going.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but both Star Wars and Star Trek are pretty immersed in the past, with their shows being "prequels".  With all due respect to the level of talent involved, I largely do not give a shit.  Please tell me what happens NEXT, and stop telling me side chapters to things that already happened.

I think this is why I'm not immediately loving the Obi series.  We KNOW him and Leah are going to survive this storyline so some of that drama is just immediately lost.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3226 on: June 07, 2022, 11:59:22 AM »

She made sense as well appearing just given the timeline and 'where' her character is/was at as far as storyline.

I'm hopeful that with the less restrictive backstory and 'lore' that her character and the characters from Rebels that have been confirmed to be in the series and rumored to be in there that we see some good storytelling. I'm hopeful that with Filoni essentially writing this show we will get some of the best SW's content and I'm trying to curb my expectations so I won't be disappointed if the show doesn't live up to them. Rebels IMO was really well done and I hope that momentum continues with Ahsoka's series.

Fortunately I've watched scarce nits and pieces of the animated series, so I have no preconceptions or expectations from them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3227 on: June 07, 2022, 01:36:28 PM »

Fortunately I've watched scarce nits and pieces of the animated series, so I have no preconceptions or expectations from them.

In regards to the Ahsoka series....I'd think some sort of Youtube Recap of 'Rebels' would give you all the pertinent information you'd need to understand 'who' the characters are that are being introduced and 'why' they're doing what they're doing. Just from the characters confirmed.....Thrawn and Sabine.....and heavily rumored due to casting calls....Ezra.....it's a pretty safe bet that this show is more or less going to be a continuation of Rebels and where that story left off.

Although with 'only' 4 Seasons (75) episodes @ 22 minutes each....so, 28ish hours of content......I'd recommend hammering that series out. It's a fun one with little 'down' time.

Whereas Clone Wars has 7 seasons (133) episodes....of which, much of the early seasons are very hit or miss. The battle of Geonosis is pretty cool....and it really starts to find footing in S3. But it's SO much to take in.....but worth it IMO. It paints a true and full picture of Anakin and Obi Wan....way more than you can glean from the limited Sequel series. And of course it details Ahsoka's journey.

AND the last four episodes of that series "Old Friends Not Forgotten", "The Phantom Apprentice", "Shattered" and "Victory and Death" (whose intention was to be viewed as one 'film' so to speak) is IMO some of if not the best SW output to date. From the score to the story, the action....everything....it is incredible.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3228 on: June 07, 2022, 02:43:14 PM »
I did watch the last season of Clone Wars... On your recommendation I do believe. And yes, it was outstanding, that closing moment with Ahsoka and the helmets is just chilling, I even looked for high end artwork of that for my kid for Xmas. I'll probably do a few of the recaps on rebels.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: June 07, 2022, 02:59:19 PM »
I did watch the last season of Clone Wars... On your recommendation I do believe. And yes, it was outstanding, that closing moment with Ahsoka and the helmets is just chilling, I even looked for high end artwork of that for my kid for Xmas. I'll probably do a few of the recaps on rebels.

I now recall speaking to you about that.....

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3230 on: June 07, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »
Such a great scene.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3231 on: June 08, 2022, 06:04:29 AM »
I liked Episode 4 quite a bit. Short and sweet without any filler or slow spots like the other episodes. We see Obi Wan's abilities re-awakening. The Empire is really inept at keep prisoners locked up in highly fortified bases.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: June 08, 2022, 09:21:48 AM »
I'll watch the new episode tonight, but my twitter feed is filled with negative headlines for the episode. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3233 on: June 08, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »
I'll watch the new episode tonight, but my twitter feed is filled with negative headlines for the episode. 
I'm curious why. I enjoyed it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: June 08, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
I'm curious why. I enjoyed it.

I didn't read to not be spoiled.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3235 on: June 08, 2022, 02:25:25 PM »
Yeah that was awful. 
The ineptitude of the rescue only worked because the ineptitude of the villains was even worse.  Or just lazy writing really across the board.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3236 on: June 08, 2022, 02:51:16 PM »
Yeah that was awful. 
The ineptitude of the rescue only worked because the ineptitude of the villains was even worse.  Or just lazy writing really across the board.
Did you not notice what Third Sister explains to Vader at the end and therefore wholly miss the point of that "ineptitude"?

Enjoying the show a lot so far. Not quite Mandalorian level but generally among the better Star Wars output.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3237 on: June 08, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »
Yeah that was awful. 
Did you not notice what Third Sister explains to Vader at the end and therefore wholly miss the point of that "ineptitude"?

Yeah.  But that makes no sense unless you disregard everything that happened in the rest of the episode before that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 03:53:14 PM by soupytwist »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3238 on: June 08, 2022, 04:11:37 PM »
Yeah that was awful. 

Yeah.  But that makes no sense unless you disregard everything that happened in the rest of the episode before that.
I didn't notice any ineptitude earlier in the episode that was any different to the general incompetence of villains that has been a mainstay of Star Wars since A New Hope.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3239 on: June 08, 2022, 05:09:43 PM »
Yeah that was awful. 

I didn't notice any ineptitude earlier in the episode that was any different to the general incompetence of villains that has been a mainstay of Star Wars since A New Hope.

That's fair enough.  I suppose the incompetence of the villains is now cannon,  which is a shame as any bumbling hero can infiltrate a lair without need of a plan, which kindoff makes watching it so frustrating!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3240 on: June 08, 2022, 05:50:02 PM »
They seemed to forget that Obi wan was burned and could "barely walk". He frequently used his right arm and showed no signs of injury or pain.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3241 on: June 08, 2022, 05:59:13 PM »
They seemed to forget that Obi wan was burned and could "barely walk". He frequently used his right arm and showed no signs of injury or pain.

He used the force!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3242 on: June 08, 2022, 06:15:24 PM »
I know everything always has to be more and more dark and edgy and shocking and nihilistic and blah blah but in the Star Wars universe I don’t even want the pretense of someone torturing a child. It’s too much and not necessary. This isn’t some R or NC-17 rated property where such things would be par for the course. But I’m not the target audience . . .

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3243 on: June 08, 2022, 07:14:26 PM »
I was thinking that torturing a little girl is pretty effin' low, even for the empire, then I remembered Vader snapping that kid's neck as he casually walked up the street.  This is some dark shit, really.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3244 on: June 08, 2022, 07:26:21 PM »
Vader killed younglings. I'm sure he has no issue torturing them as well. Same with the inquisitors.

Speaking of, at this point, Reva has go away heat. I'm sorry, maybe the actress is good in other things, but here she's terrible.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3245 on: June 08, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
Yeah, Vader killed the younglings off-screen.  We saw him enter the room, then it cut away, and next thing we know Padme is like "You killed... younglings?"

We watched that kid's neck jerk sideways and heard the snap.  That's graphic on a level I wasn't expecting.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3246 on: June 09, 2022, 04:07:13 AM »
Bit late to this, but:

It's funny you feel this way Gary.  The wife and I loved the spunk of little Leia.  It's foreshadowing who she becomes.  At least we felt this way.

She's still speaking like an adult and it's just weird.
She's 10 years old, not a small infant. And not just that, but a 10-year-old brought up with wealth and privilege and education. Complaints about her dialogue seem to come from a position that all children are the same and speak in the same way, which is nonsense.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3247 on: June 09, 2022, 05:02:21 AM »
Not a great episode, but not the worst thing the Star Wars TV shows have ever put out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: June 09, 2022, 06:01:20 AM »
Not a great episode, but not the worst thing the Star Wars TV shows have ever put out.

Yeah. It wasn’t bad. I think where I fall on this series is kind of where I fall on the prequel movies. No excuse for this to have not been knocked out of the park. Too much money and too much talent out there for just an average…..Ho hum effort like this.

There have been some cool moments but all in all to this point it’s just been “ehhh, it’s ok” for me. Maybe my expectations were too high? I don’t know. But, I can see why there were reshoots now and honestly they probably should have started from scratch.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3249 on: June 09, 2022, 06:04:47 AM »
I've got to the point now where I just presume Stormtroopers can't see out of there helmet.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3250 on: June 09, 2022, 06:07:14 AM »
No excuse for this to have not been knocked out of the park. Too much money and too much talent out there for just an average…..Ho hum effort like this.
I get what you're saying here, but I think it's more difficult to make a fantastic movie or show than we think. How many huge blockbusters that on paper sounded awesome turned out to be duds? I get that at some point you need to just stop and put out what you have, but there are times I think "You looked at these shots and that editing and decided that was the best choice to release?"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3251 on: June 09, 2022, 06:20:03 AM »
Bit late to this, but:

It's funny you feel this way Gary.  The wife and I loved the spunk of little Leia.  It's foreshadowing who she becomes.  At least we felt this way.

She's still speaking like an adult and it's just weird.
She's 10 years old, not a small infant. And not just that, but a 10-year-old brought up with wealth and privilege and education. Complaints about her dialogue seem to come from a position that all children are the same and speak in the same way, which is nonsense.

When did you become a bad acting apologist?

Jake Lloyd, while also a bad child actor, at least spoke like a child.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3252 on: June 09, 2022, 06:34:06 AM »
Vader killed younglings. I'm sure he has no issue torturing them as well. Same with the inquisitors.

Speaking of, at this point, Reva has go away heat. I'm sorry, maybe the actress is good in other things, but here she's terrible.

Oh she's horrible, no doubt. One of the worst characters of the franchise.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3253 on: June 09, 2022, 07:11:44 AM »
No excuse for this to have not been knocked out of the park. Too much money and too much talent out there for just an average…..Ho hum effort like this.
I get what you're saying here, but I think it's more difficult to make a fantastic movie or show than we think. How many huge blockbusters that on paper sounded awesome turned out to be duds? I get that at some point you need to just stop and put out what you have, but there are times I think "You looked at these shots and that editing and decided that was the best choice to release?"

I totally get that. But take the scene where Vader was dragging Kenobi through the fire....fire gets put out....the little rescue happens and the fire is started again.....then a slow walking dock droid grabs Kenobi and walks him a few mounds over and they get off the planet. The Imperial presence on the planet alone wouldn't have allowed them to escape.....shoot....Reva was already at the hangar capturing Leia. The company of Storm Troopers that were there with Vader could have easily circumvented that small isolated fire and neutralized that droid and chic.....shoot....Vader could have just simply force grabbed Kenobi again and broke him in half.

For me...lazy writing like that has no business being produced by a multi Billion dollar company with the resources they have at hand. I understand it's tough to write blockbuster style shows but lazy writing that makes no sense.....like that scene and a dozen other scenes in this series thus far that make no sense.....should not happen.

As I mentioned before, I think my expectations probably set me up for disappointment because I expect a show like this that has the lore, the available characters and content....to be executed by a global entertainment giant flawlessly. In large part Disney has dropped the ball as far as storytelling goes with Star Wars big time. Mandalorian is great....but overwhelmingly they've mismanaged a LOT of the storytelling.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3254 on: June 09, 2022, 07:48:14 AM »
Am I just missing it? When in this series is Third Sister referred to as “Reva?”

One of the more puzzling aspects of Star Wars is when force wielders choose and don’t choose to just “use the force.” The jets are getting away, so Reva picks up a chunk of the station and hurls it at one of them. Could she not also have just grabbed the ship when it was firing at her and flung it away/destroyed it with the force? I remember think this when Vader fights Luke in Empire. He hurls a bunch of junk at him at one point using the force, we’ve seen him hold people up to choke them using the force. But he can’t catch Luke when he jumps off the ledge?