Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 248301 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3185 on: June 02, 2022, 09:26:32 AM »
Conjecture:  Third Sister found the tunnel and surmised that it led to the spaceport.  She then went out and took a much faster surface route to get there ahead of them, found where the tunnel came out, and waited.  They didn't show her doing that because it would've spoiled the surprise.

Carrie Fisher was a very petite woman (in pictures it's almost comical how small she is compared to the rest of the cast), so it makes sense that as a child, she was also very small for her age.  I have no problem with the actress being ten years old but looking like she's seven or eight.  And she's lived a life of privilege, presumably with private teachers and surrounded by the upper class.  Mouthy, precocious kids bug the hell out of me, too, but the characterization fits.  Princess Leia was intelligent, mouthy and sharp-witted as an adult; this is her as a kid.  I buy it, even if I want to smack her in the face, too.

I'm with ya 100% on all counts, Bob.

Sorry for the quint posting!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3186 on: June 02, 2022, 09:48:33 AM »
Carrie Fisher was a very petite woman (in pictures it's almost comical how small she is compared to the rest of the cast), so it makes sense that as a child, she was also very small for her age. 
That's a good point.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3187 on: June 02, 2022, 09:49:47 AM »
I liked Leia, and also have enjoyed the show generally (from the first two episodes). The forest chase scene was definitely goofy and poorly staged, but that doesn't ruin the show. In general I think people tend to hold past Star Wars films to a sort of imaginary high standard that they never actually reached; they're just fun space stories.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3188 on: June 02, 2022, 09:52:03 AM »
I'm still not convinced by the ambition and rivalry between the Inquisitors, but it's there, just not brilliantly done.

This is bugging me as well being that this 'rivalry' doesn't exist between them in any of the 'Rebels' content they're involved in. They're just Jedi Hunting assassins that serve Vader's will.

Maybe this is Inquisitors 1.0?  And Rebels-era Inquisitors have this aspect beaten out of them?

That could be the case. However, the Fifth brother and other Sister are in Rebels and they've already shown their allegiance to chain of command so to speak in this show. Reva is the outlier here.   

I do recall the Grand Inquisitor having a certain 'bravado' about himself where he clearly was at the top of the hierarchy and felt pretty dang good about his position. He never challenged Vader by any means but he was definitely at the top of the food chain so to speak and always used his interactions with Canan and Ezra to point out just how powerful he was....because well....he was pretty darn powerful.  I'm still wondering if on the show he's indeed dead.....and it wouldn't surprise me if he's the one who ultimately kills Reva....assuming she dies. I'd think she has to given her absence from Rebels. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3189 on: June 02, 2022, 09:56:08 AM »
I liked Leia, and also have enjoyed the show generally (from the first two episodes). The forest chase scene was definitely goofy and poorly staged, but that doesn't ruin the show. In general I think people tend to hold past Star Wars films to a sort of imaginary high standard that they never actually reached; they're just fun space stories.

While this is true....where my criticism lies is kind of the criticism I had/have with the sequel trilogy. Disney has an infinite amount of money, material and talent (actors/writers etc etc) to provide top tier content and they routinely fail to do so. The Mandalorian has been a huge hit because they've managed to utilize all their resources there in a great way. These other shows have been clunky to say the least and IMO there's no excuse for it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3190 on: June 02, 2022, 10:18:19 AM »
I like the Mandalorian a lot, but I don't see it as being that different. It's got plenty of corny writing, shaky acting, and generally goofy stuff. It's still a lot of fun.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3191 on: June 02, 2022, 10:38:56 AM »
I like the Mandalorian a lot, but I don't see it as being that different. It's got plenty of corny writing, shaky acting, and generally goofy stuff. It's still a lot of fun.

Even with all those aspects of it, the Mandalorian is at least consistent in tone and story. Boba Fett and Kenobi so far exaggerate the goofiness at times and doesn't really flow well together.  I can look past the corny acting and cheesiness of it all, but it also has to be done right.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3192 on: June 02, 2022, 11:26:23 AM »
I think one of the differences is that The Mandalorian kind of has stand-alone episodes with one little mini-adventure per episode, while driving an overall plot over the coarse of the season. Obi-Wan and Boba Fett were both one plot over the coarse of several episodes (apart from the Boba Fett episode that was an actually a Mandalorian episode). There's also not 40+ years worth of lore about Din Djarin to have to worry about, where there is for Obi Wan and Boba Fett. This just shows me even more than I already knew that Lucasfilm should focus on new characters in unique locations rather than existing characters in well known locations for future projects.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3193 on: June 02, 2022, 11:49:41 AM »
So let's see, in Star Wars Vader said to Kenobi "when last we met I was the learner and you the master" or something similar. Sure didn't look that way from this last episode. Must be at last one more confrontation coming where Kenobi gets the better of him again.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3194 on: June 02, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
Must be at last one more confrontation coming where Kenobi gets the better of him again.

I'm leaning towards this as well. I mean, he can cut off any of his limbs again with no real damage to Vader....that'd be neat to see.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3195 on: June 02, 2022, 01:19:00 PM »

While this is true....where my criticism lies is kind of the criticism I had/have with the sequel trilogy. Disney has an infinite amount of money, material and talent (actors/writers etc etc) to provide top tier content and they routinely fail to do so. The Mandalorian has been a huge hit because they've managed to utilize all their resources there in a great way. These other shows have been clunky to say the least and IMO there's no excuse for it.

I think there's something to this.  I'm generally rather lenient with companies, because I know there are artists in there that still care (see Marvel; what they did with the MCU is nothing short of breathtaking if you really think about it).   But I think here it's true.  The "Disney Model" works with animation; put out a story, some variation on the Princess, the Prince and the bad guy, create the dolls, hire Phil to write the songs, build the ride, and move on to the next one. There's nothing earthshaking about the story in Moana, as good as that movie is (and it is; and yes, I know Phil Collins didn't do the music to that, though Mark Mancina did).   Star Wars LENDS itself to those things, but it has - or requires - a structural continuity that doesn't just grow on trees.   

I can tolerate the prequels, messy though they are, because they have heart.  If it wasn't for The Mandalorian, I think I would have lost all interest in the franchise at this point.  I really liked, not loved, The Force Awakens, but it's been down hill since, and there's no reason for that.  Put someone like Jon Favreau, whose love for the franchise oozes from every scene in The Mandalorian, in charge and let him run with it.  Put in the effort; your toy revenue will still be there!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3196 on: June 02, 2022, 01:23:58 PM »
Put someone like Jon Favreau, whose love for the franchise oozes from every scene in The Mandalorian, in charge and let him run with it.  Put in the effort; your toy revenue will still be there!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the upcoming 'Ahsoka' series will be on par with if not better than 'Madalorian' because of who's writing it as well. Dave Filoni is first and foremost a SW fan and encyclopedia.....so I think we're going to see a more coherent and interesting story driven by good writing than we're seeing with this Kenobi series. The bones are there but the meat is below expectations for me thus far.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3197 on: June 02, 2022, 01:28:48 PM »
Put someone like Jon Favreau, whose love for the franchise oozes from every scene in The Mandalorian, in charge and let him run with it.  Put in the effort; your toy revenue will still be there!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the upcoming 'Ahsoka' series will be on par with if not better than 'Madalorian' because of who's writing it as well. Dave Filoni is first and foremost a SW fan and encyclopedia.....so I think we're going to see a more coherent and interesting story driven by good writing than we're seeing with this Kenobi series. The bones are there but the meat is below expectations for me thus far.

Yeah, you can substitute Filoni in for Favreau; he takes it seriously as well.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3198 on: June 02, 2022, 01:31:19 PM »
So let's see, in Star Wars Vader said to Kenobi "when last we met I was the learner and you the master" or something similar. Sure didn't look that way from this last episode. Must be at last one more confrontation coming where Kenobi gets the better of him again.

Vader - I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master.
Kenobi - Only a master of evil, Darth.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3199 on: June 02, 2022, 01:32:45 PM »
Let's not forget that Favreau and Filoni were involved with the Book of Boba Fett and that was a bit of a dud. While I think those guys "get" Star Wars more than almost anyone else, they're not infallible.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3200 on: June 02, 2022, 02:18:07 PM »
Let's not forget that Favreau and Filoni were involved with the Book of Boba Fett and that was a bit of a dud. While I think those guys "get" Star Wars more than almost anyone else, they're not infallible.

True, Favreau did write TBOBF, but the show also had 5 different directors over the course of its 7 episodes, so that could also speak to the show's rather inconsistent tone and feel.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3201 on: June 02, 2022, 02:47:25 PM »

Vader - I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again at last. The circle is complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master.

-Marc.

Thanks! Photographic memory, have you? - Yoda

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3202 on: June 02, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »

-Marc.

Thanks! Photographic memory, have you? - Yoda

:lol Hardly, but when the mind forgets, Google remembers.

It's interesting that a lot of people all around the internet seem to be misquoting Vader's line to Obi-Wan - they think he says "When we last fought/met" but him actually saying "when I left you" still leaves things open for interpretation at the end of this series. Remember, Obi-Wan Kenobi (the series) takes place 8-9 years before A New Hope, which can be a long time, especially for Obi-Wan.

-Marc.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3203 on: June 03, 2022, 10:08:44 AM »
Must be at last one more confrontation coming where Kenobi gets the better of him again.

I'm leaning towards this as well. I mean, he can cut off any of his limbs again with no real damage to Vader....that'd be neat to see.

Yes, I agree. Surely Obi Wan has to give a better account of himself than what we saw in episode 3.

I wonder if he’ll make contact with Qui Gon and get himself back in the game? Seeing a force ghost Qui Gon could be pretty cool.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3204 on: June 03, 2022, 10:25:39 AM »

Yes, I agree. Surely Obi Wan has to give a better account of himself than what we saw in episode 3.

I wonder if he’ll make contact with Qui Gon and get himself back in the game? Seeing a force ghost Qui Gon could be pretty cool.
Qui Gon has to show up, right? Why else would he be calling to him?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3205 on: June 03, 2022, 10:28:03 AM »

With the subtle moments of him reaching out and failing I think they're setting up an ultimate scenario where he does succeed in contacting him. Even if it's in voice contact only....judging from Neeson's comment's I don't  think he'd appear onscreen unless it's a movie. OR his comments were just a ruse.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3206 on: June 03, 2022, 09:34:20 PM »
I think some of this show is good fun, but it has all been a bit ham fisted. Will probably keep watching but the wife has already lost interest so we’ll see if we make it to the end.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3207 on: June 04, 2022, 10:41:01 PM »
Don't think I have seen anyone mention this, but when Obi-wan arrives at the place where Leia is being held there was a beggar that he gave some coin to. I remember on first watch I was looking really hard at the guy because it looked like Boba Fett. Turns out, it was the guy that plays Boba but he wasn't Boba. Rumors are swirling now that he might have been Rex or some other clone. I really wonder if something will come out of that cameo.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3208 on: June 04, 2022, 10:53:19 PM »
Don't think I have seen anyone mention this, but when Obi-wan arrives at the place where Leia is being held there was a beggar that he gave some coin to. I remember on first watch I was looking really hard at the guy because it looked like Boba Fett. Turns out, it was the guy that plays Boba but he wasn't Boba. Rumors are swirling now that he might have been Rex or some other clone. I really wonder if something will come out of that cameo.

I did notice that, I assumed it's one of the clone storm trooper from the clone wars gone on hard times hence being on the planet.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #3209 on: June 04, 2022, 10:58:22 PM »

I did notice that, I assumed it's one of the clone storm trooper from the clone wars gone on hard times hence being on the planet.

Yeah, I think it was just a fun cameo and nod to that bit of Star Wars lore and probably not anything that will turn into a story line.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: June 04, 2022, 11:32:51 PM »

Yeah, I think it was just a fun cameo and nod to that bit of Star Wars lore and probably not anything that will turn into a story line.

He was in the 501st Legion armor……which…..was the Legion that accompanied Anakin to the Jedi temple for order 66 and a Legion that Kenobi fought with a lot in the animated show.

I think they were just trying to show how the original clones were abandoned and forgotten about and replaced by the storm troopers. Obi Wan was probably startled because the last time he saw a clone trooper they were executing all the Jedi.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3211 on: June 05, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »
Yeah, that was an interesting scene.  I could tell that I was maybe supposed to recognize the guy, or at least understand the significance of the look that Obi-Wan gave him, but I didn't really understand it until I read about it elsewhere.  It's Temuera Morrison, so the vet is a former clone trooper; Jango Fett was the basis for all the clones.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3212 on: June 06, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »
Watched the first 3 episodes. 

I don't know.  Fun, I guess, but not great, and certainly unnecessary.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but both Star Wars and Star Trek are pretty immersed in the past, with their shows being "prequels".  With all due respect to the level of talent involved, I largely do not give a shit.  Please tell me what happens NEXT, and stop telling me side chapters to things that already happened.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: June 06, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
  Please tell me what happens NEXT, and stop telling me side chapters to things that already happened.

For me it's not so much as 'next'....although that'd be more than welcome.....I just want something different. Both franchises are hooked on their cash cows so to speak and it's hindering the story they can tell. Even with Kenobi.....they have to color within the lines and are restrained in storytelling.

Gimme a cool Jedi/Sith etc etc story set a couple hundred/thousand years earlier OR later.....use that 'world' as the backbone but lets do something different.

I'm looking forward to the Ahsoka series not only due to me really liking that character but also because it will deal largely with 'new' characters and storylines that aren't constrained by the OT or prequels. There will be some adherence to the animated show 'Rebels' but in large part it's an open canvass.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3214 on: June 06, 2022, 12:26:51 PM »
Yeah.. We got a vast universe of possibilities with a kick ass framework, and they keep a laser focus on one family in a hundred year span.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3215 on: June 06, 2022, 12:37:55 PM »
Completely agree with you all. It's time to move out of the existing timelines either before or later.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3216 on: June 06, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »
BUT....if they're going to take that direction and start 'fresh' so to speak......spend the $$$ that is needed and hire a team of writers/developers that can handle that task. Have a clear cut vision from the start on the whole thing. If they pull another sequel trilogy debacle where it was fly by the seat of your pants and just throw crap at the wall then that'll be a major bummer. No excuse not to be able to come up with something pretty spectacular given the 'vast universe' as RJ mentioned they have to pull from.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3217 on: June 06, 2022, 04:14:03 PM »
BUT....if they're going to take that direction and start 'fresh' so to speak......spend the $$$ that is needed and hire a team of writers/developers that can handle that task. Have a clear cut vision from the start on the whole thing. If they pull another sequel trilogy debacle where it was fly by the seat of your pants and just throw crap at the wall then that'll be a major bummer. No excuse not to be able to come up with something pretty spectacular given the 'vast universe' as RJ mentioned they have to pull from.

Exactly...they really just need to take a page from the MCU, who did such an admirable job of world building in the infinity saga, pulling material from the past and still creating something new out of it. The Star Wars universe has how many books, comics, fan fiction, etc tied to it? And what percentage do you think is better than the bed shitting that was the sequels? Mandalorian was a decent go, it was a fairly original work, with mostly new characters, and honestly they could've done without a single fan service character and still been a tremendous success solely on the back of Mando and Grogu.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3218 on: June 07, 2022, 06:19:21 AM »

Exactly...they really just need to take a page from the MCU, who did such an admirable job of world building in the infinity saga, pulling material from the past and still creating something new out of it. The Star Wars universe has how many books, comics, fan fiction, etc tied to it? And what percentage do you think is better than the bed shitting that was the sequels? Mandalorian was a decent go, it was a fairly original work, with mostly new characters, and honestly they could've done without a single fan service character and still been a tremendous success solely on the back of Mando and Grogu.

I agree with this (though I also think that Mando had just the right amount of fan service.  I'm not a die-hard, I don't know all the side-bar stories, and so it was just enough of a hook to make it familiar and give it "heft").

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3219 on: June 07, 2022, 07:51:45 AM »

I agree with this (though I also think that Mando had just the right amount of fan service.  I'm not a die-hard, I don't know all the side-bar stories, and so it was just enough of a hook to make it familiar and give it "heft").
My only wish for Mando is that they left Luke out of it. Otherwise I agree the amount of fan service was about right.