Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 254174 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3150 on: June 01, 2022, 01:34:24 PM »
Is Christensen actually going to have a speaking part?

And we’re at the point where we’re picking on a 5-year old for their acting?  :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3151 on: June 01, 2022, 01:43:58 PM »
And we’re at the point where we’re picking on a 5-year old for their acting?  :facepalm:

I don't think it's picking on the 5 year old actress. I think it's picking on Disney for the writing/directing and maybe even casting an actress that can't convey it all in a convincing manner.

That's really been my largest issue with Disney is some of their casting choices. Casting is HUGE and just because the actor/actress may be a big name doesn't mean they should get the part. I'd be fine with all unknowns if it meant the roles were cast and conveyed correctly.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3152 on: June 01, 2022, 01:50:17 PM »
It's funny you feel this way Gary.  The wife and I loved the spunk of little Leia.  It's foreshadowing who she becomes.  At least we felt this way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3153 on: June 01, 2022, 04:36:54 PM »
It's funny you feel this way Gary.  The wife and I loved the spunk of little Leia.  It's foreshadowing who she becomes.  At least we felt this way.

She's still speaking like an adult and it's just weird.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3154 on: June 01, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »
I like the spunk. I don't care for some of the dialog. I think it's fitting for her to have a higher than normal vocabulary given that she is probably highly educated. But a few lines were a bit much.

Is Christensen actually going to have a speaking part?
I was wondering this as well. Did he really just come back for a physical role in the suit? I wouldn't be surprised if there was a flashback that wasn't from Revenge of the sith.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3155 on: June 01, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
Am I the only one who (still) struggles with Ewan as Obi, I think he's such a bland actor - and his voice on this show is so dreary, talking slower and with a deeper voice is not how to add gravitas.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3156 on: June 01, 2022, 05:30:40 PM »
Am I the only one who (still) struggles with Ewan as Obi, I think he's such a bland actor - and his voice on this show is so dreary, talking slower and with a deeper voice is not how to add gravitas.

Yes, you're the only one.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3157 on: June 01, 2022, 05:38:06 PM »
Episode 3 was better, but the acting is still weak. And Vader with them cliche villain lines. He was cool though.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3158 on: June 01, 2022, 05:46:48 PM »

He was the only decent part of any of the prequels, although he did have some cringy parts. "You were the chosen one!" "I loved you!" etc  :eek

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3159 on: June 01, 2022, 06:06:24 PM »
I mean, Hayden’s been on the interview circuit and everything. Got to believe he’s gonna feature sometime.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: June 01, 2022, 06:24:36 PM »

Not struggling with Ewan as Obi……I’m struggling with how weak and scared he is considering the character he was built into in The Clone Wars show. Obi Wan was a flat out bad ass and top tier Jedi. I’m having a rough time watching him struggle like this.

Episode was decent…..not sure why Vader allowed Obi Wan to escape like that but that has to be the only explanation is that he allowed him to…..because…..just like Obi Wan…..Anakin was a dominant Jedi who wouldn’t have allowed some small fire to deter him. Their light saber battle was pretty tame but understandably given Kenobi’s reluctance to engage.

Third sister was a bit better this episode as well. I guess That incarnation of the Grand Inquisitor is indeed dead given Vader stated it’s a title….so….the Rebels version of The Grand Inquisitor is still in tact I guess?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3161 on: June 01, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »

She's still speaking like an adult and it's just weird.

My nephew says things that I would never think of at his age. Not surprised  these days but I understand.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3162 on: June 01, 2022, 06:44:14 PM »
Curious to see if they bring Quinlan Vos to live action. Pretty cool ‘hippie’ Jedi from the animated show…….pretty powerful as well. Would be neat to see a live action version of him but I have a feeling his name drop was just a nugget or some fan service given there are only three episodes left.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3163 on: June 01, 2022, 07:09:41 PM »
Yeah, Obi-Wan should have been dead there. I think they were trying to portray Vader's vicious side, like we didn't know that already.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3164 on: June 01, 2022, 07:15:28 PM »
I'm not sure I get what tone this show is going for. I read somewhere before the start that it was too dark so they had to bring it down a notch. Now it feels like an odd mish-mash of cutesy spunky Leia with some dark brooding menacing bad guys. I think Mandalorian had the tone just right in both seasons, much better than Boba Fett for sure.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3165 on: June 01, 2022, 08:28:36 PM »
Mediocre episode. Some very weak writing.

I have no clue how Reva got to the end of the tunnel before Leia. Some really weird decisions.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3166 on: June 01, 2022, 08:55:22 PM »

I have no clue how Reva got to the end of the tunnel before Leia. Some really weird decisions.

I’m trying really hard to be patient with the show….but with only three episodes to go it does seem like faizoff is onto something. There is no clear tone of the show. Should stuck with dark and brutal IMO….. it it seems like they’re trying to toe multiple lines here and it’s not clicking yet.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3167 on: June 01, 2022, 08:55:55 PM »

That was my exact thought too. And how does Vader wave away the fire one second, but literally less than 1 minute later, fire is a barrier that allows Obi-Wan to escape?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: June 01, 2022, 09:20:35 PM »

That was my exact thought too. And how does Vader wave away the fire one second, but literally less than 1 minute later, fire is a barrier that allows Obi-Wan to escape?

If Obi Wan was going to be reluctant to fight Vader…..then why abandon the tunnel to safety? Leave Leia with some random stranger? Just stay in the tunnel with them and ‘get to the chopper’

If Reva doesn’t Force grab Leia within two seconds of her running off it’ll be BS.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3169 on: June 02, 2022, 12:09:51 AM »

He was the only decent part of any of the prequels, although he did have some cringy parts. "You were the chosen one!" "I loved you!" etc  :eek

When Liam and Ewan were on screen together it truly was like watching a master and apprentice,..........of acting!

I dunno I just find him bland, even in a great film like Trainspotting he's probably the weakest link.  And when he's cast in the starring role like The Island or Doctor Sleep he's just totally forgettable in them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:24:14 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3170 on: June 02, 2022, 04:47:16 AM »
Another mixed bag for me, though I did enjoy it better than the first two.

Cool to see Vader again, and the voice was spot on. That was one thing I noticed immediately in Rogue One - the voice sounded a lot older, which of course JEJ was at the time. Here, he sounds as powerful and menacing as the OT. Apparently they used the same AI techniques as they did with Mark Hamill's voice in Luke's scenes in TBOBF:

https://screenrant.com/who-voices-darth-vader-in-obi-wan-kenobi/

I'm not sure if it was 100% AI, or if they had James Earl Jones record the lines and digitally de-aged it afterwards.

My major gripe is, why is Obi Wan so weak? Why has he let himself go so much? You'd think that if his purpose in life is to safeguard Luke as he grows up, he'd need to keep those Jedi skills topped up. Instead, he seems a bit pathetic.

I'm still not convinced by the ambition and rivalry between the Inquisitors, but it's there, just not brilliantly done.

This is a small thing, but Vader just kinda turned up, walking down the street. It would have been nice to build the tension, but having some sort of dialog with the Inquisitors, and an establishing shot of his shuttle landing, and everyone around looking nervous, knowing that something's about to kick off..

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3171 on: June 02, 2022, 06:20:23 AM »
I'm really enjoying the show but it's a very different kind of enjoyment from the films. You can tell there's a budget and there's only so much they can do visually, musically, or otherwise. Even the story sometimes takes these little shortcuts where it kind of falls apart, but they had to get from A to B, so whatever. This is kind of what Star Wars is now, for better or for worse.

On the positive side, I love Obi-Wan and Leia (characters and actresses). I thought their moment in the truck was beautiful. It was cool seeing Vader again, who looked and sounded great. That red lightsaber is lit. And seeing Fortress Inquisitorius from Jedi Fallen Order was sweet. I'm excited to see where this goes!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3172 on: June 02, 2022, 06:58:10 AM »
I'm still not convinced by the ambition and rivalry between the Inquisitors, but it's there, just not brilliantly done.

This is bugging me as well being that this 'rivalry' doesn't exist between them in any of the 'Rebels' content they're involved in. They're just Jedi Hunting assassins that serve Vader's will. I'm worried with the limited episodes left that there won't be much to the story of why the Third Sister believes she's owed something more or that she's better than the others. Especially since up to this point the writing is pretty bland.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3173 on: June 02, 2022, 08:00:02 AM »
My major gripe is, why is Obi Wan so weak? Why has he let himself go so much? You'd think that if his purpose in life is to safeguard Luke as he grows up, he'd need to keep those Jedi skills topped up. Instead, he seems a bit pathetic.
I thought it was pretty clear that he has not accessed the Force at all in 10 years in order to not attract attention to himself. I've got to imagine even a powerful Jedi is rusty after 10 years.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3174 on: June 02, 2022, 08:02:47 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear that he has not accessed the Force at all in 10 years in order to not attract attention to himself. I've got to imagine even a powerful Jedi is rusty after 10 years.

That's another issue of inconsistent writing to me. Or even contradictory writing.

How can Obi Wan expect to train Luke if he has mostly forgotten how to be a Jedi and use the force?

Want to have Obi Wan want to train Luke? Cool, but he has to be ready and able.
Want to have Obi Wan be so weak because he has not used the force in 10 years to avoid being detected? Cool, but don't try to train Luke.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3175 on: June 02, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »

I don't think it's picking on the 5 year old actress. I think it's picking on Disney for the writing/directing and maybe even casting an actress that can't convey it all in a convincing manner.

That's really been my largest issue with Disney is some of their casting choices. Casting is HUGE and just because the actor/actress may be a big name doesn't mean they should get the part. I'd be fine with all unknowns if it meant the roles were cast and conveyed correctly.

I haven't seen this yet, though this thread is making me want to watch it (that, and playing Star Wars Battlefront on my PS4) but let me say that I'm cringing even now reading some of the comments about the kid actor(s). I HATE kids in media; they either write them to be sniveling little wimps ("Mommy, mommy, I'm so scared!") or precocious assholes well beyond their years.  Forget waterboarding or bamboo under the finger nails; my worst idea of torture is watching something like Young Sheldon.   I know I'm talking about a kid, but that show makes me want to break the law.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3176 on: June 02, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »
For me, I think part of the problem with Leia (though I do genuinely enjoy her character for the most part) is that she looks two or three years younger than she's supposed to be. I don't think she looks anywhere close to 10. While her vocabulary is too high for a 10 year old, I can buy it for someone in her situation with education and needing to present herself properly in political situations. But for a 7 or 8 year (which is how old she looks) it's kind of absurd.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3177 on: June 02, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »
How can Obi Wan expect to train Luke if he has mostly forgotten how to be a Jedi and use the force?

I'm assuming that this show/these events will convince him to get back in touch with the Force and stay on top of it because of what we see in Rebels and how quickly he dispenses of a still powerful Maul when confronted by him on Tatooine.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3178 on: June 02, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »

I'm assuming that this show/these events will convince him to get back in touch with the Force and stay on top of it because of what we see in Rebels and how quickly he dispenses of a still powerful Maul when confronted by him on Tatooine.

For sure. And he's clearly very comfortable with the force in A New Hope.

But, at least when this began Obi Wan was BOTH out of touch with the force AND wanting to train Luke like RIGHT THEN. It's just contradictory writing.

This whole show has had a decent amount of that kind of writing. Though it has also had fantastic moments that I really enjoy. And thankfully Ewan is great, so I can enjoy this show, but the last episode really took me out of it at times with the writing decisions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: June 02, 2022, 09:09:19 AM »
This whole show has had a decent amount of that kind of writing. Though it has also had fantastic moments that I really enjoy. And thankfully Ewan is great, so I can enjoy this show, but the last episode really took me out of it at times with the writing decisions.

Right there with ya. I'm actually enjoying it despite my apparent nit picking.....as you point out.....the writing has been done in such a way that it just leaves it open to criticism.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3180 on: June 02, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »
Conjecture:  Third Sister found the tunnel and surmised that it led to the spaceport.  She then went out and took a much faster surface route to get there ahead of them, found where the tunnel came out, and waited.  They didn't show her doing that because it would've spoiled the surprise.

Carrie Fisher was a very petite woman (in pictures it's almost comical how small she is compared to the rest of the cast), so it makes sense that as a child, she was also very small for her age.  I have no problem with the actress being ten years old but looking like she's seven or eight.  And she's lived a life of privilege, presumably with private teachers and surrounded by the upper class.  Mouthy, precocious kids bug the hell out of me, too, but the characterization fits.  Princess Leia was intelligent, mouthy and sharp-witted as an adult; this is her as a kid.  I buy it, even if I want to smack her in the face, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: June 02, 2022, 09:25:54 AM »

This is bugging me as well being that this 'rivalry' doesn't exist between them in any of the 'Rebels' content they're involved in. They're just Jedi Hunting assassins that serve Vader's will.

Maybe this is Inquisitors 1.0?  And Rebels-era Inquisitors have this aspect beaten out of them?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3182 on: June 02, 2022, 09:26:00 AM »

And the fact that he's resorted to using a pistol .... so uncivilized!

P.S. ... Bill, that's where the comment comes from.  Obi-Wan after he kills Greivous in Ep3

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3183 on: June 02, 2022, 09:26:06 AM »

That's another issue of inconsistent writing to me. Or even contradictory writing.

Want to have Obi Wan want to train Luke? Cool, but he has to be ready and able.
Want to have Obi Wan be so weak because he has not used the force in 10 years to avoid being detected? Cool, but don't try to train Luke.

I'm not bothered by this.  The best teachers/coaches usually aren't in the prime of their ability anymore.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: June 02, 2022, 09:26:17 AM »

Right there with ya. I'm actually enjoying it despite my apparent nit picking.....as you point out.....the writing has been done in such a way that it just leaves it open to criticism.

Agreed.