Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 254142 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #3115 on: May 29, 2022, 06:44:59 AM »
I'm starting episode 2 now but a couple things stood out in episode 1 and I was not looking for anything to complain about. The dialog at times feels contrived especially for someone as young as Leia, and other characters just seem so clichè in their lines and delivery. I'm not sure if they're aiming for a younger crowd because of the violence we see in episode 1. A direct death at the start, someone gets hanged, someone loses their hand on camera for example.

The other thing is that chase in the woods. Didn't look believable. Reminded me of the bikes in Boba Fett.

Absolutely beautiful visuals though, wow. Paired with the music in that city, that was a gorgeous vibe. I want more of that...

Well, it’s 2022. That level of violence is only considered beginner’s level for kids these days it seems.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3116 on: May 29, 2022, 06:54:41 AM »
Overall I thought the first two episodes were great. McGregor is of course fantastic, and 10-year-old Leia is brilliant.

The Inquisitors also seem like a pretty intimidating bunch and I have no issue with Reva/Third Sister. If anything, I found her more desperate style contrasting well with the more deliberate approach of the Grand Inquisitor - makes her unpredictable and so threatening in a different way.

My only minor complaint (as others have said) is that apparently 10-year-old Leia can outrun all adults. For some reason these Star Wars shows are just not good at chase scenes. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3117 on: May 29, 2022, 08:16:01 AM »

My only minor complaint (as others have said) is that apparently 10-year-old Leia can outrun all adults. For some reason these Star Wars shows are just not good at chase scenes. :lol

Yeah...I mean, at some point, the team looked at the finished product, fist bumped each other, and put a seal of approval on that boring ass shit. Yikes man.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3118 on: May 29, 2022, 11:11:25 AM »

Yeah...I mean, at some point, the team looked at the finished product, fist bumped each other, and put a seal of approval on that boring ass shit. Yikes man.
At least the Kenobi ones so far aren't as bad as the Boba Fett ones. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3119 on: May 29, 2022, 01:17:03 PM »

At least the Kenobi ones so far aren't as bad as the Boba Fett ones. :lol

Oh yeah...the mod-influenced scooter chase through Mos Eisley was quite possibly the worst Star Wars output ever, and I'm including Jar Jar in that statement.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3120 on: May 31, 2022, 10:17:53 AM »
I'm finally watching Obi wan Kenobi. Pretty good, but Leia's dialog is cringy as fuck. Adult dialog written for a child. Are all screenwriters aliens who have never interacted with a child to know how they speak?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3121 on: May 31, 2022, 10:42:49 AM »
I was thinking about Reva's abduction of Leia. There's no way she knows who Leia is. Did she just abduct her because she knew Obi Wan was friendly with the Organas? I mean... I know writers of shows and movies use coincidence all the time to drive the plot, but that's a pretty big coincidence.

And also, why does Luke get a dedicated Jedi master to watch over him and make sure he's safe while Leia doesn't? Just because the Organa's are rich and important and would presumably have security already?

I'm finally watching Obi wan Kenobi. Pretty good, but Leia's dialog is cringy as fuck. Adult dialog written for a child. Are all screenwriters aliens who have never interacted with a child to know how they speak?
I think the dialog was in character with who Leia becomes as an adult, and I appreciate they were trying to give her that same spunk, but I agree that the vocabulary used was a bit much.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3122 on: May 31, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »
Show was mostly good. A lot of really cringy dialogue from everyone and some meh acting from a lot of the support cast. But Ewan really redeems it.

The plot thus far IS quite contrived. The damn king or whatever of a planet has no one else to go after Leia? He picks Obi Wan after not seeing him for 10 years?

I buy that Reva did it without knowing who she was really, but I am not sure I buy that Bail has no one else to ask for help or that Obi Wan would be his first choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3123 on: May 31, 2022, 11:27:53 AM »
I was thinking about Reva's abduction of Leia. There's no way she knows who Leia is. Did she just abduct her because she knew Obi Wan was friendly with the Organas?

That's exactly why she did it.....there's a line in the show where she mentioned she found through historical data that Organa was involved/friendly with Kenobi back in the day so that's why she kidnapped the kid.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3124 on: May 31, 2022, 11:42:34 AM »
I was thinking about Reva's abduction of Leia. There's no way she knows who Leia is. Did she just abduct her because she knew Obi Wan was friendly with the Organas?

That's exactly why she did it.....there's a line in the show where she mentioned she found through historical data that Organa was involved/friendly with Kenobi back in the day so that's why she kidnapped the kid.
Thanks. I must have missed that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3125 on: May 31, 2022, 11:46:13 AM »

Thanks. I must have missed that.

It was sandwiched in there when the Grand Inquisitor was chastising her for searching out Kenobi for her own gain when they arrived on the planet....I think he may have even cut her off as she was explaining it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3126 on: May 31, 2022, 04:05:40 PM »
Wow, this pocket of Star Wars 'fans' really needs to go away. I just stumbled across this story. The fact that Lucasfilm had to prep her to warn her that she will most certainly get racist attacks is sickening. This side of Sci-Fi fandom is really getting old.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-moses-ingram-racist-attacks-153927185.html
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3127 on: May 31, 2022, 05:35:25 PM »
Oh fuck right off. I’m loving Third Sister so far. And Ingrams portrayal of her is great.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3128 on: May 31, 2022, 05:38:46 PM »
Third Sister is badass.  I think she's incredibly misguided and needs a light sabre through the gut (ha!) but as a character she's fine.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3129 on: May 31, 2022, 05:46:08 PM »
Yeah, imagine being so fucking dense as to be racist towards a character from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

I heard one racist fuck called her a diversity hire. Just fuck way off with that bullshit.. We can have three feet tall green dudes, chicks with tentacles for hair, but heaven forbid whave a fucking black person. Didn't Boyega get this bullshit too? And the girl that played Rose?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3130 on: May 31, 2022, 05:52:22 PM »
Agreed. She's the off the rails, misguided, hard-headed, power hungry baddy and she plays it perfectly. I immediately hated her (the character, if you get me) so she is doing her job.

I just get tired that every non-white person to come through Star Wars these past few years gets ripped apart on social media. I just don't get racism.

Didn't Boyega get this bullshit too? And the girl that played Rose?

Yes, they both did. Rose's (Kelly Marie Tran) was so bad she quit all social media entirely.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3131 on: May 31, 2022, 06:02:37 PM »
That's right... Thought it was registering for some reason.

Why do people fucking suck so much?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3132 on: May 31, 2022, 06:13:58 PM »
I heard one racist fuck called her a diversity hire.

Someone on a forum I’m on called her that too. Idiots.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3133 on: May 31, 2022, 07:01:11 PM »
Well, for me, it's not just her. A fair share of acting isn't the greatest on this show. I'm hoping the character gets better. At least have some cool lightsaber duels. She certainly isn't the worst on the show. That award goes to Leia.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3134 on: May 31, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
Well, for me, it's not just her. A fair share of acting isn't the greatest on this show. I'm hoping the character gets better. At least have some cool lightsaber duels. She certainly isn't the worst on the show. That award goes to Leia.

Well, as I see it, Star Wars has never been a standard bearer for acting anyways, so I always have my expectations low in that department.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3135 on: May 31, 2022, 07:25:42 PM »

Well, as I see it, Star Wars has never been a standard bearer for acting anyways, so I always have my expectations low in that department.

It's my biggest pet peeve. Bad acting takes me out of the movie or show and it's all I focus on. I just wonder how that person was selected at the audition.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3136 on: May 31, 2022, 07:46:44 PM »
I’m willing to give her another episode as the Third Sister to see if it improves …..but I don’t care about her color or whatever……I care that I don’t buy her being a sinister Inquisitor. Her ‘mean’ demeanor is forced and feels contrived and if we weren’t told about this apparent drive or quest for power or to stand out we’d never know it. That type of trait would and should be apparent in the way an actor carries and presents themselves yet it’s absent. It’s not all her fault but casting is a major part in storytelling obviously and IMO they missed the mark with her.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3137 on: June 01, 2022, 05:07:19 AM »
I’m willing to give her another episode as the Third Sister to see if it improves …..but I don’t care about her color or whatever……I care that I don’t buy her being a sinister Inquisitor. Her ‘mean’ demeanor is forced and feels contrived and if we weren’t told about this apparent drive or quest for power or to stand out we’d never know it. That type of trait would and should be apparent in the way an actor carries and presents themselves yet it’s absent. It’s not all her fault but casting is a major part in storytelling obviously and IMO they missed the mark with her.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't find the character very convincing at all. Same with the fake Jedi guy - it took me right out of the show for a few minutes. Anyway, is he not playing a very dangerous game pretending to be a Jedi, when they are literally being hunted to extinction all around him?

I understand where they were going with Leia, trying to make her into a precocious, strong-willed child as a sort of precursor to who she would become, but I think they just pushed it too far. The chase scene with Flea was unintentionally funny. It was like playing "chasies" in the school playground.  :lol

Will keep going with the third episode to see if it settles any better for me.

I have to say, I really hate the racist stuff on Twitter. I swear, social media seems to bring out the absolute worst in people. But, having said that, I'd be concerned that it's hard to give legitimate criticism, or say you didn't like a character, or the dialogue was clunky, or whatever, without being labelled as an -ist of some type.

I wonder what people would have made of the the introduction of Lando in ESB, if Twitter was around in the day??

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3138 on: June 01, 2022, 05:30:03 AM »
I wonder what people would have made of the the introduction of Lando in ESB, if Twitter was around in the day??

I always use the example of 'The Shawshank Redemption' the highest ranked movie on IMBD.  Yet if it was released in 2022 it would have been review bombed and called 'woke' (seriously fuck that term) because 'Red' played by Morgan Freeman in the source material was a white man.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3139 on: June 01, 2022, 07:01:30 AM »
I have to say, I really hate the racist stuff on Twitter. I swear, social media seems to bring out the absolute worst in people. But, having said that, I'd be concerned that it's hard to give legitimate criticism, or say you didn't like a character, or the dialogue was clunky, or whatever, without being labelled as an -ist of some type.

True. I simply don't like her because (IMO) she does not fit the mold that 'Rebels' established of an Inquisitor.....not just visually but persona as well. Inquisitors have been broken and tamed by Vader....they are his personal elite squad of hunter/killers. While they are 'individuals' they're controlled by Vader and The Grand Inquisitor is to steal a ST term Vader's #1. What he says goes. Her disregard for his instruction just doesn't fit. I get the point is that she's trying to impress Vader and gain his favor but it doesn't fit the established mold of the Inquisitors. Which, may be why we never see her in the future shows.

Anyway, maybe her character will grow on me but first impression was that it missed the mark. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3140 on: June 01, 2022, 07:24:13 AM »
I don't love the character of the third sister, but I think the actress is doing a fine job portraying her. Even if she were doing horribly, her race would have nothing to do with it. I simply do not understand racist attacks like that. I don't understand what's wrong with some people.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: June 01, 2022, 07:39:09 AM »
Even if she were doing horribly, her race would have nothing to do with it. I simply do not understand racist attacks like that. I don't understand what's wrong with some people.

1000% agree. It's a shame that our culture is so predictable in this manner that Disney prepped her for it before it all even happened.

I don't love the character of the third sister, but I think the actress is doing a fine job portraying her.

Maybe the point with her character is exactly what the Grand Inquisitor was saying to her.....she'd just simply not like one of them and never will be.....which then would explain why she doesn't have the inquisitor 'vibe'. To which, I can and will throw some leeway towards her character and see where this goes. I think the actresses natural beauty though does her a disservice because I don't get the 'evil' or sinister vibe from her at all.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3142 on: June 01, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »
I think the actresses natural beauty though does her a disservice because I don't get the 'evil' or sinister vibe from her at all.
I'll agree with that. But I can appreciate when evil people aren't ugly and good people aren't beautiful.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3143 on: June 01, 2022, 08:26:57 AM »
Who is the character and who is the actress? I'm trying to follow this without having seen the show...

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3144 on: June 01, 2022, 08:48:24 AM »
Who is the character and who is the actress? I'm trying to follow this without having seen the show...

The actress is Moses Ingram, her character is a member of an inquiditor squad hunting jedi.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3145 on: June 01, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »
I think she's gorgeous, at least out of character (I haven't seen the show).

What's the root of the so-called "racism"?  I've read a couple articles, and they don't really say anything other than calling certain fans "racist" and playing the supporting comments from Ewan MacGregor and the producers.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3146 on: June 01, 2022, 09:26:09 AM »
I think she's gorgeous, at least out of character (I haven't seen the show).

What's the root of the so-called "racism"?  I've read a couple articles, and they don't really say anything other than calling certain fans "racist" and playing the supporting comments from Ewan MacGregor and the producers.

She's received hundreds of hate messages, including death threats.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3147 on: June 01, 2022, 10:00:35 AM »
I heard one racist fuck called her a diversity hire.

Someone on a forum I’m on called her that too. Idiots.

The dead giveaway is when people start saying "I'm not racist, I'm just against diversity hires!" followed by every non-white person getting death threats and being called a diversity hire. Some people just really suck.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3148 on: June 01, 2022, 12:48:02 PM »
Again the minority voices (Probably 200 assholes send messages to her) while the silent majority, love her work so far and never say a peep.  It's the worst part of the internet where people would never say the stuff they do to someone's face.   I hope she kicks ass acting for a long time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3149 on: June 01, 2022, 12:50:42 PM »
Watched part 3 this morning. I mean, it was Darth Vader... how was that not awesome? James Earl Jones is back. I was worried about that since I hadn't heard whether he was reprising his role or not. The episode overall felt a little slow until the end. Obi Wan's escape felt a little weak. Like no way does Vader let him escape that easily. But overall another solid entry. I hope the pace and intensity continues to build.

On a side note: no one should ever voice Vader except James Earl Jones. As far as I'm concerned there is no Vader without him.