Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 252426 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #2905 on: February 12, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
No. She was fired because the Company doesn't want to be liable for all the backlash of the Social Media Mob if they didn't do anything about her tweet.

We've seen it happen.

But, I am guessing she doesn't care, as she may feel she stands her ground and knows the consequences. She is not afraid of those consequences and can handle and is ready to accept them. Did anyone even think about that?
No.  Because I think she is an idiot, so I don't think she thought anything through the way you communicated there. 

Also, she is in a business where, above all else, perception is reality.  Frankly, she isn't a big enough name to be controversial enough to be able to "stand her ground", whatever that may mean, and have her career survive.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2906 on: February 12, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
No. She was fired because the Company doesn't want to be liable for all the backlash of the Social Media Mob if they didn't do anything about her tweet.

We've seen it happen.

But, I am guessing she doesn't care, as she may feel she stands her ground and knows the consequences. She is not afraid of those consequences and can handle and is ready to accept them. Did anyone even think about that?
No.  Because I think she is an idiot, so I don't think she thought anything through the way you communicated there. 

Also, she is in a business where, above all else, perception is reality.  Frankly, she isn't a big enough name to be controversial enough to be able to "stand her ground", whatever that may mean, and have her career survive.

So you already have been convinced she's an idiot and dismissed the thought that maybe she isn't an idiot, and knew exactly what she was doing when she tweeted. She knew the consequences and was willing to accept it, when she tweeted it.

It's really going to be interesting what she does now.

And Standing Your Ground, means not giving in. And she obviously did that by not retweeting the bullshit apology just to keep her job.

But it doesn't surprise me though, because it is Disney.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2907 on: February 12, 2021, 10:30:11 AM »
Seriously, can we take any further discussion on this to P/R now?  I'm TRULY over it, and want to read Star Wars discussion here.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=33204.msg2749215#msg2749215

Agreed.  As I said above:

And, yeah, I realize the last handful of posts have crossed over well into P/R territory.  If anyone has anything they really feel the need to express on the subject, go ahead and say it.  As I often say, even though it technically should go elsewhere, sometimes, there is some inevitable bleed over into areas outside a thread topic, or outside what is usually allowed, etc.  But let's keep it reasonable and not turn it into a protracted debate.  If people want to debate the finer points beyond simply posting their opinion here, I suggest a thread in P/R for it.**

I don't have a problem with the discussion.  But, really, that issue is now becoming somewhat of a distraction rather than the thread topic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2908 on: February 12, 2021, 11:30:03 AM »
So you already have been convinced she's an idiot and dismissed the thought that maybe she isn't an idiot, and knew exactly what she was doing when she tweeted. She knew the consequences and was willing to accept it, when she tweeted it.
Well, not just based on this incident, no.  I've followed her career for a while now, and seen multiple interviews with her, and have never found her to seem particularly intellectual.  However, in The Mandalorian, I felt she had found a role for which she was particularly well-suited.

Which she has now screwed up for herself.  Which is a shame.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2909 on: February 12, 2021, 11:56:58 AM »
Kudos to the MODs for allowing a civil discussion on this topic.

I liked her character on the show, but I can't say that I'll be affected by her absence in future seasons.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2910 on: February 13, 2021, 12:23:41 AM »

It's really going to be interesting what she does now.

Goes and signs up to star in a Movie being developed by The Daily Wire, which is owned by Ben Shapiro who thinks homosexually is a mental illness.    ::)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:34:45 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2911 on: February 13, 2021, 05:53:40 AM »

I liked her character on the show, but I can't say that I'll be affected by her absence in future seasons.

Who's to say that the role couldn't / wouldn't be re-cast?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2912 on: February 13, 2021, 06:45:44 AM »

I would hope it wasn't.   Not for anything to do with her or her off the field antics, but for continuity purposes.  It will be less distracting to me if she's just gone, than if I have to get used to another "face" for that character.  But that's me. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2913 on: February 13, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »

I would hope it wasn't.   Not for anything to do with her or her off the field antics, but for continuity purposes.  It will be less distracting to me if she's just gone, than if I have to get used to another "face" for that character.  But that's me.

Yeah. Just kill her off or mention her in passing but a re-cast isn’t necessary. She’s not that vital to the story. Was a cool character but they can get around her not being in the story anymore.

The larger issue probably is Filoni/Favreau probably already had S3 written and mapped out which most likely included elements of her character. So I’m sure some re-writes are happening. It’s still ridiculous she was canned especially as more comments/posts etc etc from fellow cast members are being revealed that are just as controversial. But whatevs.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2914 on: February 13, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
Are they going to go the Poochie route?...

Cara Dune: "I have to go now, my planet needs me."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: February 13, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

Nope....not with her. Her planet no longer exists.   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2916 on: February 13, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

Ergo her planet DOES need her!   :lol :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2917 on: February 13, 2021, 11:31:29 AM »

Cara Dune.....rebuilding Alderon once atom at a time.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2918 on: February 13, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »

Cara Dune.....rebuilding Alderon once atom at a time.

:lol  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2919 on: February 13, 2021, 12:40:49 PM »
With the way Season Two ended, Cara could come back in future storylines, or not.  If "not" turns out to be how it goes, then fine.  She's the new marshall of whatever that place was, Greef seems to have his little enterprise going on, and I assumed Season Three would be after some time has passed.  No real reason to think so, other than it seems like a logical thing to do now.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2920 on: February 13, 2021, 12:49:07 PM »
It’s still ridiculous she was canned especially as more comments/posts etc etc from fellow cast members are being revealed that are just as controversial. But whatevs.

It's more like 3 (or more) strikes and youare out.  This latest tweet was just a series of ones she'd posted in the past few months - the ant-mask one, the election fraud one, the transphobic one and now this one.  That's quite a lot of chances before she was finally given the boot - I know for a fact I'd be reprimanded if I did any of that once, and shown the door if I did it again.   The fact she's run straight into the arms of a questionable character like Ben Shariro, and tweeting about the rebellion starts now says it all really.....

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2921 on: February 13, 2021, 02:03:06 PM »
It’s still ridiculous she was canned especially as more comments/posts etc etc from fellow cast members are being revealed that are just as controversial. But whatevs.

It's more like 3 (or more) strikes and youare out.  This latest tweet was just a series of ones she'd posted in the past few months - the ant-mask one, the election fraud one, the transphobic one and now this one.  That's quite a lot of chances before she was finally given the boot - I know for a fact I'd be reprimanded if I did any of that once, and shown the door if I did it again.   The fact she's run straight into the arms of a questionable character like Ben Shariro, and tweeting about the rebellion starts now says it all really.....
It's also about how you react. If you're called out on it and you say "my bad, I was frustrated and I exaggerated but I appreciate it was insensitive" that's one thing, but she doesn't give a shit as evidenced by her reaction to what she'll do next. Seems like it was inevitable.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2922 on: February 14, 2021, 07:20:02 AM »

I don't want to derail, but there's a lengthy discussion in the P/R thread that makes a decent case that it's not as simple and straightforward as you make out.  To use your analogy, for some people, that third strike wasn't in the zone, but in fact was a foul tip.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: February 14, 2021, 07:32:50 AM »

It's also about how you react. If you're called out on it and you say "my bad, I was frustrated and I exaggerated but I appreciate it was insensitive" that's one thing, but she doesn't give a shit as evidenced by her reaction to what she'll do next. Seems like it was inevitable.

Why does she have to give a shit?  Why does she have to act like others expect her to?   That's the paradox of America; we celebrate individualism, we celebrate being unique, we celebrate breaking the rules - what's that bumper sticker?  "Well behaved women rarely make history"? - but really, it's a sham and a mirage.  Toe the line, bitches, or you're out!

Some are no doubt celebrating this, but I read this and was almost nauseous.  Not that there's anything excusable here, or that the Bachelor is worth arguing about, but does anyone think that's anything other than just personal pandering and revenge through humiliation?   Does anyone think ANYONE'S mind - including Chris Harrison's - is being changed by this?  When I read this kind of thing, the first thing I think of is "I'd love to ask someone that supports this whether they believe torture - you know, waterboarding, what not - works", because it smacks of the same thing.  Make the penalty so high that they'll say ANYTHING to make it stop.

TO BE CLEAR: I'm not saying NOTHING should be done.  I'm not saying that what they did was right or should be ENCOURAGED. I'm not saying they aren't bigots.   I'm also not saying that Disney and ABC don't have the right to do what they did.  They absolutely do.  I'm specifically talking about this as a path forward, as a way of minimizing overall bigotry in the future.  I don't see it; I see this as just a moment in time, a transient point of retribution with no real lasting impact.   (And we KNOW it has no lasting impact; Gina Carano supposedly saw the light regarding her transphobia, after a meaningful conversation with Pedro Pascal; I don't know of any transphobic comments after that, but either way, she either didn't learn, or no one gives a flick about her personal growth, because I still hear people using that as a rationale for her firing).

EDIT: Don't yell at me; it's about TV, and it's in response to posts HERE about this issue.  I'm going to repost this in the P/R thread, but I feel I'm entitled to respond to posts here that introduce these issues.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2924 on: February 14, 2021, 10:46:23 AM »

I don't want to derail, but there's a lengthy discussion in the P/R thread that makes a decent case that it's not as simple and straightforward as you make out.  To use your analogy, for some people, that third strike wasn't in the zone, but in fact was a foul tip.

Would like to join in that discussion but i don't have the rights to post in the politics forum.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2925 on: February 14, 2021, 08:04:17 PM »
You can request access in "Forum Suggestions".

In any case, irrespective of the controversy surrounding of her firing, IMO its no great loss. Gina didn't exactly bring much in the way of acting chops to the part and her character is hardly integral to the narrative.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »
Just saw on social media that Ashley Eckstein (voice of Ahsoka Tano in the animated series) is married to former MLB shortstop and WS Champion David Eckstein. Just a random fact for you all. carry on.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2927 on: February 18, 2021, 11:28:48 AM »

In any case, irrespective of the controversy surrounding of her firing, IMO its no great loss. Gina didn't exactly bring much in the way of acting chops to the part and her character is hardly integral to the narrative.

I actually dig the character, and wouldn't be against a recast with a more competent actor, Tessa Thompson is the first that comes to mind.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2928 on: February 18, 2021, 11:48:28 AM »

I actually dig the character, and wouldn't be against a recast with a more competent actor, Tessa Thompson is the first that comes to mind.

Ehh.....I don't mind a recast for some characters but that character was a pretty big signature character for a new show. I won't use the term 'main' character but she played a significant role. I don't think a recast would work personally. Maybe Cara Dune is murdered or killed or something and her 'just as badass' sister is now on the scene? Or just write her out.....mention the character name from time to time....but a recast IMO would be Disney trying to hard to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2929 on: February 18, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: February 18, 2021, 01:21:12 PM »
They've already said that they won't recast her.

The Mandalorian Will Not Recast Gina Carano’s Character with a New Actress

That's good to know. I mean, with the way S2 ended....essentially no more Grogu.....the story moving forward will be 'new' so writing her out of the show won't be difficult.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: February 19, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »

Ehh.....I don't mind a recast for some characters but that character was a pretty big signature character for a new show. I won't use the term 'main' character but she played a significant role. I don't think a recast would work personally. Maybe Cara Dune is murdered or killed or something and her 'just as badass' sister is now on the scene?

Lorna?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2932 on: April 23, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
I mentioned this in the Marvel thread

On a side note....after watching Sebastian Stan in these episodes the resemblance to a young Mark Hammill is indeed there. I'd 100% buy in on him being Luke Skywalker if they were to try and pull that off. In fact, I''m a little bummed they didn't use him in the Finale of S2 to get that ball rolling.

I think it could be done. Given the reception and fan fare that the finale received from just a couple minutes of Luke Skywalker, I think it's fair to say that there is an appetite and audience out there who'd love to see a series that details a Luke Skywalker in his 'prime' Jedi years

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2933 on: April 23, 2021, 11:18:44 AM »
I'd be down with that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2934 on: April 23, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
Before that final Mandalorian episode aired, I saw the rumours that Luke would be the one to answer the call, and the pictures of Mark Hammill and Sebastian Stan and how much they looked alike.  Then it came out that the picture of Stan was doctored to make him look more like 70's Mark Hammill, and the scenes were ultimately done with CG deepfakery.

Presumably, if they did go with some kind of (prequel? sequel? what do we call it?) of Luke's Jedi Badass Years, it would just be "regular" makeup and/or minor prosthetics.  Deepfaking the main character for the entire show would be crazy.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2935 on: April 23, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
Before that final Mandalorian episode aired, I saw the rumours that Luke would be the one to answer the call, and the pictures of Mark Hammill and Sebastian Stan and how much they looked alike.  Then it came out that the picture of Stan was doctored to make him look more like 70's Mark Hammill, and the scenes were ultimately done with CG deepfakery.

Presumably, if they did go with some kind of (prequel? sequel? what do we call it?) of Luke's Jedi Badass Years, it would just be "regular" makeup and/or minor prosthetics.  Deepfaking the main character for the entire show would be crazy.

I saw that as well that the Sebastian Stan resemblance pics were doctored.....but, after watching him in 'The Falcon and the Winter Soldier' he does bare an uncanny resemblance to Mark Hammill. I think as you suggested, with minimal make up artistry it could be pulled off in such a way that it'd be perfectly fine. As long as Stan was able to capture the character correctly.....the 'look' I believe would be the easy part.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2936 on: April 25, 2021, 10:45:17 AM »
For those who don't have the time or interest to play Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order, but are perhaps interested in experiencing an unfamiliar Star Wars story, you may enjoy the movie version of the game (runs about 2 hours). It takes place after Episode III and follows a Jedi named Cal as he races against the Empire to track down the remaining force-sensitive people in the galaxy. I think it's a really good Star Wars story, and it includes some effective references to lots of different Star Wars movies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIFQjmAon0
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2937 on: May 06, 2021, 05:30:46 AM »
Anyone watch The Bad Batch premier? Nice first episode. I'm interested to see where this goes in an otherwise unexplored time period of Star Wars history.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2938 on: May 06, 2021, 05:42:39 AM »
I'm debating on watching that series after all the episodes air rather than on a weekly basis. I've heard good things about it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2939 on: May 06, 2021, 05:54:34 AM »
Anyone watch The Bad Batch premier? Nice first episode. I'm interested to see where this goes in an otherwise unexplored time period of Star Wars history.

Yup... diggin it.  jingle.son and I watched the 4-episode run that introduced them in the Clone Wars S7.  Digging this very much.  We hadn't watched Rebels, so the 'reveal' wasn't terribly impactful to us - we wouldn't have known anything different if jingle.son hadn't been doing some background reading/research.

I'm sure the arc will (at least for a few episodes) focus on getting that inhibitor out of Crosshairs.  Very curious to see what Omega brings to the table.